134 members have voted

1. 1. Planning on getting a new MBP?

• Yes, 13".
    • Yes, 15".
    • Yes, 17".
    • No.

i expected the same panel in the 13" as the MBA

i am bitterly disappointed tbh

Wait until the store comes up properly, you may be able to configure it as such. The tech specs of the 15ins only list the standard res glossy display currently as well.

I was going to pick one up but they didn't upgrade what I wanted :/

I was hoping for the 15" base model to include:

- 128GB SSD

- hi-res display

If they would have been included my purchase would have already been made. But when you add them up to the base mbp it adds $300 and that's just too much when comparing to the MBA :/

I need an SSD more than a fast CPU or GPU so the MBA is a better option for me, I'll wait till they get updated and I'll pick up a 13" with 4GB of ram

Wait until the store comes up properly, you may be able to configure it as such. The tech specs of the 15ins only list the standard res glossy display currently as well.

Alas I was wrong, it seems apple went full retard and only allow the 1200x800 screen on the 13ins. This makes absolutely no sense considering they already make a 1440x900 screen for the MBAs

Is it me or is the 13" MBA actually better than the 13" MBP?

Edit: In the screen department anyway.

Is it me or is the 13" MBA actually better than the 13" MBP?

Edit: In the screen department anyway.

The only thing missing is a core i3 (or maybe i5 but I don't know if they could fit it in) and backlit keyboard

I was going to pick one up but they didn't upgrade what I wanted :/

I was hoping for the 15" base model to include:

- 128GB SSD

- hi-res display

If they would have been included my purchase would have already been made. But when you add them up to the base mbp it adds $300 and that's just too much when comparing to the MBA :/

I need an SSD more than a fast CPU or GPU so the MBA is a better option for me, I'll wait till they get updated and I'll pick up a 13" with 4GB of ram

If those are the only two things holding you back, then you'll be waiting a while. They already provide SSDs and a higher-res screen as options.

Sure, it makes no sense to get an SSD from Apple because of the prices, so you can get them from a third-party and install it yourself. As for the display, you can pay a little extra and get the 1680x1050 display. I have it and now I can't imagine living without it.

If you're not prepared to shell out the extra dough, then yeah. Wait longer. I can't imagine SSDs becoming standard on MBPs for the foreseeable future. The capacities are just too low compared to current HDDs.

If those are the only two things holding you back, then you'll be waiting a while. They already provide SSDs and a higher-res screen as options.

Sure, it makes no sense to get an SSD from Apple because of the prices, so you can get them from a third-party and install it yourself. As for the display, you can pay a little extra and get the 1680x1050 display. I have it and now I can't imagine living without it.

If you're not prepared to shell out the extra dough, then yeah. Wait longer. I can't imagine SSDs becoming standard on MBPs for the foreseeable future. The capacities are just too low compared to current HDDs.

I was REALLY hoping for the res boost, the ssd like you said I can do it myself (and have done it in the past). Last generation the 17" made the hi-res a standard so I was hoping it was going to be the turn for the 15" this time :/

Plus for my own need with the newer MBA, the extra cost for a 15" doesn't make as much sense as it used to :/ So I'll see if I can manage to wait for the new MBA :D

You know, all things aside, I'm actually pretty pleased with the upgrades.

Core i5, up from Core 2 Duo.

4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM standard as opposed to just 1066

320GB Hard Drive, up from the Standard 250.

Yes, screen resolution aside, I'm actually really happy that the $1200 I was planning on paying 2 weeks ago will get me much more now :). Yeah yeah, hi-res MBA screen, I'm sure it would have been nice, but I'd take an optical drive, a serious processor, AND a backlit keyboard over a bigger resolution any day.

Yes, screen resolution aside, I'm actually really happy that the $1200 I was planning on paying 2 weeks ago will get me much more now :). Yeah yeah, hi-res MBA screen, I'm sure it would have been nice, but I'd take an optical drive, a serious processor, AND a backlit keyboard over a bigger resolution any day.

optical drive: didn't use mine once when I had my MBP

backlit keyboard: I agree

Bigger resolution: The resolution on the 13" MBP is pretty cramped :/

optical drive: didn't use mine once when I had my MBP

backlit keyboard: I agree

Bigger resolution: The resolution on the 13" MBP is pretty cramped :/

I guess it doesn't bug me because I've been using 1280x800 on every laptop I've ever used since 2007.

At any rate, I might just spring for the $1500 model, because a 2.7GHz Core i7 (sure, it's dual core and not quad) is a tremendous upgrade from the original Core 2 Duo, not to mention the 500 GB hard drive that comes with that package.

i look at it this way, you stare at the screen all day.. it's the one thing i won't compromise on

i'm going to have a rethink over a 15"... maybe, not sure :)

:p Then I think it makes sense for me when I say that all I've ever stared at is 1280x800, so this isn't a big deal for me.

I guess it doesn't bug me because I've been using 1280x800 on every laptop I've ever used since 2007.

:p Then I think it makes sense for me when I say that all I've ever stared at is 1280x800, so this isn't a big deal for me.

I've been using a 27" iMac since they came out (about a year and a half) so maybe that's why I'm so picky with resolutions ;) (and before that I was using 2x 22")

I've been using a 27" iMac since they came out (about a year and a half) so maybe that's why I'm so picky with resolutions ;) (and before that I was using 2x 22")

Oh, not me. Things are too small for me on the 27" with native resolution. I’m using 1080p, and even that is quite small.

I’m calling for Resolution Independence in Lion... Then, just bump the resolutions to retina displays on everything :)

This is a nice refresh, but I am still going to wait for the free iPod/printer deal in the summer to get one for my uni. By then there is usually one more update to the Macbook Pro's. :)

This is a nice refresh, but I am still going to wait for the free iPod/printer deal in the summer to get one for my uni. By then there is usually one more update to the Macbook Pro's. :)

I really doubt they will update them again by the summer :/

The only thing missing is a core i3 (or maybe i5 but I don't know if they could fit it in) and backlit keyboard

I couldnt agree with you more on this topic. If the MBA got the core i series upgrade which would be essential and the backlit keyboard which is a must and a better graphics card then the 320, then it would be a lot better than the MBP

I mean Alienware does it with their M11x, why shouldn't Apple be able to do the same

FaceTime HD Webcam with 720p support? Sweet :laugh:

But honestly, I haven’t seen the quality of the iSight augment in 4 years, while it was doing greater and greater on the iPhone...

FaceTime is now out of beta and I hope there will be an update to Photo Booth to take advantage of all this.

I think most of the iSight FaceTime cameras in recent Macs support the HD calls. At least that's what the description on the App Store implies.

As for the new Pro, the Air is still more appealing to me as a 2nd computer purely for the SSD and better display.

I think most of the iSight FaceTime cameras in recent Macs support the HD calls. At least that's what the description on the App Store implies.

As for the new Pro, the Air is still more appealing to me as a 2nd computer purely for the SSD and better display.

Eh, you'd be astonished how much I'm in need of a backlit keyboard. If the Air updates to have one, I'll have to seriously consider it .

I couldnt agree with you more on this topic. If the MBA got the core i series upgrade which would be essential and the backlit keyboard which is a must and a better graphics card then the 320, then it would be a lot better than the MBP

I mean Alienware does it with their M11x, why shouldn't Apple be able to do the same

I *highly* doubt that the Air will EVER get a Core i series upgrade, it will cut into the battery life and cannibalize the MBP.

It's great for us to dream about our perfect computer, but Apple is still a business.

I *highly* doubt that the Air will EVER get a Core i series upgrade, it will cut into the battery life and cannibalize the MBP.

It's great for us to dream about our perfect computer, but Apple is still a business.

I appreciate the backlit keyboard on my MBP, but certainly don't need one. I can't imagine why you would need one, unless you can't touch type, or frequently spend time in caves.

The 13'' MBP upgrades are really quite unimpressive. A few places were selling the old 13''s at $200 off... I expect these will end up there too.

I appreciate the backlit keyboard on my MBP, but certainly don't need one. I can't imagine why you would need one, unless you can't touch type, or frequently spend time in caves.

The 13'' MBP upgrades are really quite unimpressive. A few places were selling the old 13''s at $200 off... I expect these will end up there too.

I'm more of a hybrid typist. I don't always need to look at the keyboard, but when I do, I want my keys to be visible. This has always been a problem for me latenight while working and listening to music; i can never accurately guess where the damn function keys to pause/lower the volume are. Unlike my older HP tablet, this newer one nixed the dedicated media buttons.

I mean, it's not just the backlit keyboard, it's the processor and graphics card differences that make me avoid the Air. Yes, it would be nice to have such a small form factor, but I'm perfectly content with carrying around my 6lb tablet PC with me wherever I go, and the current MBP is a nice upgrade from that at 4.5 pounds. I don't really care to go lower than that just to sacrifice processor speed for weight, and now, with the new models, the Core i5 integrated GPU is actually around 20% better than the 320M, which the AIR still uses.

FInally, I need 13" for my screen, 11 will not cut it. For the air, that jacks up the price like mad, and since there aren't really too many choices that you have, going by what models I can pick on Amazon, and picking the exact same price point that I'd pay for an upgraded MBP currently ($1500) I'd have to pay at $100 more for a machine that gives me a slower processor, less RAM, no backlit keyboard, no optical drive, worse graphics, less connectivity, all for a shock-and-awe form factor and a resolution that might be nice, but I don't need. Again, this is all just my take.

I don't really game or too anything too intensive right now, but in the chance in the future that I might inevitably want to try one or the other, I want to have the option to be able to, because this is a big purchase for me, and I need it to be future-proofed, not just "right-here-right-now" with my mobile usage.

Rumored so much, delivered so little:

No OS X SSD

No Air style 30 day standby

No Air style design improvements

No weight reduction

No bigger trackpad

Same high costs

Laughable 1280x800 13" screen

Sighs and waits the x months for core i3 macbook air

The rumor mill around Apple products always derails beyond rational proportions, so when products are actually launched it's always a disappointment. In the end people do that to themselves.