Live Discussion: Apple's iPad 2 event

You know whats interesting...he didn't say what version of the att/version network the ipad would work on. Since the xoom will be compatible with verzions lte network...will the ipad2 work on the att/verzion 4g networks?

I was looking into buying an iPad, not sure if I will now. This really seems like an small interim update.

Not sure what else they will add next year. Maybe higher screen res, and SD slot.

The HDMI screen mirroring out is probably the biggest thing for a lot of people, especially teachers. Also a lot of the functionality changes that people were expecting won't come from a hardware change, they'll come with a new OS version. Expect an iOS 5 developer event by the end of March or in early April. They'll probably wait to send out invites until the first iPad sales weekend, don't want to show off what it doesn't have yet before it launches.

You know whats interesting...he didn't say what version of the att/version network the ipad would work on. Since the xoom will be compatible with verzions lte network...will the ipad2 work on the att/verzion 4g networks?

3G only. No LTE.

I was looking into buying an iPad, not sure if I will now. This really seems like an small interim update.

Well what were you expecting? Aside from the lack of retina displays and capacity bumps, I don?t see what?s wrong with the hardware update.

I guess it's a nice update for those who are into tablets, but I'm not.

Aren't there still rumors about iPad 3 possibly coming later this year?

ok so

Dual core CPU with Dual core graphics each core has a GPU i would assume more power

new Design being thinner

Dual cameras (Facetime)

new Apps made for the iPad 2

iMovie almost a full fledged Desktop experience but in your hands

garage band an entire music creation system right in your hands ( iPad 2 itself a entire studio)

yea so those things are just thrown in there sure. interim my A**

I guess it's a nice update for those who are into tablets, but I'm not.

Aren't there still rumors about iPad 3 possibly coming later this year?

If it?s coming this year, now is the time to expect a small update.

Because I don?t see how the engineering team can design the iPad 3, a whole new, breakthrough, completely different and overhauled and redesigned and overspec?ced product, when they?re just done working on the iPad 2.

ok so

Dual core CPU with Dual core graphics each core has a GPU i would assume more power

new Design being thinner

Dual cameras (Facetime)

garage band an entire music creation system right in your hands ( iPad 2 itself a entire studio)

It is still incremental update though. Dual cameras should have been on first iPad. iMovie Garage Band are good but are separate products, not sure how that relates.

Because I don?t see how the engineering team can design the iPad 3, a whole new, breakthrough, completely different and overhauled and redesigned and overspec?ced product, when they?re just done working on the iPad 2.

I think they have the hardware, instead of "iPad 3" they need to fix/update iOS 4. I guess we will have another event in April for iOS5.

iPad 3 project could have started last week

So by giving them an additional week, you think they can deliver such product?

I hope you won?t be my future boss when I?ll become an engineer next year. Pressure, pressure, pressure... :wacko:

Apple tends to overlap their product production, I've seen sources that said the iPhone 4 had about a two year development time. I would imagine that iPad 2 work was underway when iPad 1 shipped, at least parts of it like the front facing camera. There are probably working early iPad 3 prototypes on Apple's campus right now, even if they don't plan to release it until next year.

ok so

new Design being thinner

Dual cameras (Facetime)

Its almost a garenteed that the cores are not being run all the time, giving its rated battery life. More like the sme tech with the macbooks, the onboard intel vid for simple things, then kicks in the nvidia when it needs more ( iPad related being games, imovie, garageband. ) i doubt common appa like safari, Ui, and general other thing wilk be faster compared to the iPad1

The apps like iMovie and Garage band are already on the App Store, so the iPad 1 can do it also, so i personally wuldnt include those as an update, heck the new Gorillaz album was done entirely on an iPad.

Thinner is a staple of evolving Tech

Why in the world is GPS only ever on the carrier models? I mean you DONT need a cell provider to use GPS, just put a GPS chip into the base model...

You need 3G or a WiFi connected at all times to receive map data (as well as traffic, etc).

Apple tends to overlap their product production, I've seen sources that said the iPhone 4 had about a two year development time. I would imagine that iPad 2 work was underway when iPad 1 shipped, at least parts of it like the front facing camera. There are probably working early iPad 3 prototypes on Apple's campus right now, even if they don't plan to release it until next year.

This.

It's not like they magically and all of a sudden had the idea to integrate a camera into the iPad just after its launch and were like "Ooops!".

The reason it wasn't in there was the simple lack of space and battery satisfaction.

Now that technology has evolved, new chips and design concepts have been developed they found a way to incorporate this into a smaller design.

I bet they already have ideas that are roadmapped to iPad 4 and 5, ideas, not all of them decisions, but still.

Apple for SURE has two prototype lines at the same time to ensure a long run approach and a "is possible by MM, next year" approach.

Things will eventually shift between those two always having ONE vision and concept split into possibility time frames.

Glassed Silver:mac

So by giving them an additional week, you think they can deliver such product?

I hope you won?t be my future boss when I?ll become an engineer next year. Pressure, pressure, pressure... :wacko:

Have you ever worked in software or hardware before? The core team for ipad 2 has probably finished the project last month or the month before. Or probably an ipad 3 team started in parallel to the ipad 2.

Just because a product is released doesn't mean they got done yesterday.

And, welcome to the real world, because if you're a programmer or an engineer, a 40 hour work week does not apply.

Its almost a garenteed that the cores are not being run all the time, giving its rated battery life. More like the sme tech with the macbooks, the onboard intel vid for simple things, then kicks in the nvidia when it needs more ( iPad related being games, imovie, garageband. ) i doubt common appa like safari, Ui, and general other thing wilk be faster compared to the iPad1

The apps like iMovie and Garage band are already on the App Store, so the iPad 1 can do it also, so i personally wuldnt include those as an update, heck the new Gorillaz album was done entirely on an iPad.

Thinner is a staple of evolving Tech

From Engadget:

Update: Okay, we've had a chance to play around the with iPad 2 some more, and here are our big takeaways from the experience.

-This thing is insanely fast. We're not joking -- it's blazingly fast. Everything the iPad 2 does feels like it's on turbo. We're uploading a video of the some evidence of this, you'll be appropriately stunned.

-The design feels great in your hands. Sleek, super thin -- much nicer to hold than the previous version. Definitely has more of a magazine than book feel. Everything is tight and solid. It is pretty amazing how thin they've gotten the device.

-Even software made for the first generation device feels better here. Safari is definitely sped up. Games looked great on-screen, though obviously there are no updates to the resolution of screen technology here.

-This is an evolutionary step, but we definitely don't feel like it's lacking for features. People are going to gobble these up when they see the new apps.

Actually not really. By Monday most realized that an upgraded screen wasn't happening, no SD, and no updated plug. The only thing that isn't known at this point is the amount of on-board ram.

What do we know:

CPU

physical specs

price

physical colors

New apps

cameras

All of those were already known.

IMHO it is actually exactly what we expecting and I think it's actually going to be quite good.

No I didn't expect much more from the iPad itself the 3 things you mentioned were things I'd have liked but probably wasn't gonna get

but I mean

iOS5 beta

new itunes go go with the new iOS 4.3

iWork 2011

No I didn't expect much more from the iPad itself the 3 things you mentioned were things I'd have liked but probably wasn't gonna get

but I mean

iOS5 beta

new itunes go go with the new iOS 4.3

iWork 2011

iOS 5 beta is probably still coming very soon, like by the end of the month.

There will probably be a small iTunes rev in June/July for iOS 5 when it comes out. Major new iTunes version in September.

iWork 2011 could come out any time really when they don't want to distract from other announcements. Put up a page on the website, release it in the App Store.

Have you ever worked in software or hardware before? The core team for ipad 2 has probably finished the project last month or the month before. Or probably an ipad 3 team started in parallel to the ipad 2.

I haven?t worked in software or hardware (aside from a small project at school that I ended up doing all by myself), did you? You seem to know what you?re talking about, yet you?re mixing them up. I?m purely talking about the conception of the hardware here, leave the software alone. It has little to do with the iPad 3 project really, because iOS development is a complete parallel process.

Just because a product is released doesn't mean they got done yesterday.

About product development cycles, I guess I know a lot more than you how products are made, you?re not teaching me anything here ;) ;)

In fact, it wouldn?t surprise me if the final iPad 2 prototype was done 2-3 months ago. They need to decide exactly, step-by-step how the product will go into production and I know a lot of people here forget about this. This requires about as equal work as it does to build the actual product.

And, welcome to the real world, because if you're a programmer or an engineer, a 40 hour work week does not apply.

Indeed, 40 hours weeks do not apply, usually it?s between 35 and 37.5. What you meant was "engineers work way above their 40 hours" I guess. Well, usually it depends on if they are managers or not. At Apple, I know they must do overtime a lot, but I hope you?re not saying the iPad 3 projects relies purely on the overtime the Apple guys will do.

?

Basically, what I mean is, at this point they probably have a clear roadmap of the iPad 3?s development. They targeted what needs to be inside and they probably have a few pieces of hardware laying on tables in their labs, just for R&D and testing. But saying they might have an actual working prototype of the iPad 3 right now and it?ll be a major overhaul and will be released this year is over-the-top. If anything, it?s a minor update that we will see.