Meet Firefox 5.0

Oh ****. Multi-process tabs are P2? Really? Who the hell is in-charge of deciding the priorities? It's ridiculous.

Surprised by this as well. I remember reading that more than a year ago seeing they were in P1 and hoped electrolysis would make it into Firefox 4. Guess that didn't pan out well.

Ability to put tabs in title bar on OS X (P2) .... That?s a features I?m hoping to make it in fx5.

Most of the work for it landed in 4.0, events just aren't hooked up properly.

The main advantage is that they can access more than 4GB of RAM, but considering people complain when it uses over 100MB, I doubt that's useful for most people.

There are other advantages like more registers and a different calling convention, but that's really for developers to worry about.

I tried out 64 bit Firefox a month or so ago .. seemed to work OK.

I'm not sure there are any advantages to using 64 bit browsers though ... are there any?

Not on ie9.. it?s slooooow I read

Fx4 on mac is 64bit

Does Chrome/Chromium have 64bit support on all platforms?

afaik google chrome is still 32bit on windows

though it has nacl64.exe to run on win 64 , dunno about other platforms

Has anyone seen the latest development schedule? I'm a little confused by it. It says that Firefox 6's development cycle starts when Firefox 5 is cloned from mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora (on 2011-04-12).

Firefox 5

Firefox 5 will be slightly different from future releases due to the development overlap (or lack thereof) with Firefox 4:

Rather than 6 weeks for mozilla-central, mozilla-aurora, and mozilla-beta we instead have 3 weeks for development on mozilla-central, 5 weeks to converge and stabilize on mozilla-aurora, and 5 weeks to validate on mozilla-beta.

Can anyone clarify what is happening with Firefox 5?

Has anyone seen the latest development schedule? I'm a little confused by it. It says that Firefox 6's development cycle starts when Firefox 5 is cloned from mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora (on 2011-04-12).

Can anyone clarify what is happening with Firefox 5?

?

new_versions.png

ff5_schedule.png

Central = Nightly (Trunk)

Aurora = Experimental (Alpha)

Beta = Beta

Final = Release

And new Icons http://mozilla.seanmartell.com/engagement/logos-v2.png

afaik google chrome is still 32bit on windows

Correct, google said in august 2009 that a 64bit chrome was "coming soon" but we still don't have it :p

Well I hope FF 5 is better than 4. I wont be using 4. Its got an annoying feature, on the MS forums. Every time I posted a reply on it, it kept on asking me whether I wanted to stay (dont post what I had just replied to). Or leave. If I replied and I wanted to save it (well obviously I did, otherwise I wouldnt reply).

It was the only annoying browser that did this for some reason. I couldnt find a way of killing this annoying option (if its an option), so removed it

They missed out this.

PRIORITY!

1. Address memory usage for Firefox mobile

2. Address battery drain for Firefox mobile

3. Address crashing and freezing on Firefox mobile

Fix these and I shall be a happy bunny :)

Those are nice, better than the generic blue globe bomb.

Well I hope FF 5 is better than 4. I wont be using 4. Its got an annoying feature, on the MS forums. Every time I posted a reply on it, it kept on asking me whether I wanted to stay (dont post what I had just replied to). Or leave. If I replied and I wanted to save it (well obviously I did, otherwise I wouldnt reply).

It was the only annoying browser that did this for some reason. I couldnt find a way of killing this annoying option (if its an option), so removed it

That's the site doing it, or some extension you have.

The only addons I had were adblock and flashblock. That was it. If the site was doing it, why didnt it do it with Opera, or IE? Altho the MS forum site was the only site that did it. Neowin and another forum I go to didnt

Why don't you provide something more specific than "on the MS forums"?

PaulAuckNZ, that's not a browser feature, that's a website feature - and it sounds like it's broken due to some bad browser detection. The dialog sounds like "are you sure you want to navigate away from the page" style, no? Is it so hard to provide a URL? I'm guessing you refer to http://answers.microsoft.com/

I like the concept there - a true 'nightly'.

5.0 is planned for 4-5 months from now not 2 months. Hopefully 4.2 will fix the bugs that 4.0 didn't have time to fix, hoping fonts will be pretty with hardware acceleration in 4.2

And as said bazillon of times already, it's up to MS to "fix" the font rendering.

I keep telling ppl on forums and blogs where they blame firefox for the bad fonts that it is a problem with the Microsoft's DirectWrite API and they have to fix it.Unfortunately most of the users think that it is Firefox bug as it is a new feature in the new version.People don't realize that Firefox is using Microsoft API for HA and it is the API's fault.That is the current situation as far as i know.Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.