Meet Firefox 5.0

To rehash an old issue: are there any plans on Mozilla's part to address extensions compatibility/updates for non-stable Firefox builds, so it's actually feasible to use them as my main browser? I'm interested in bug #527141, in particular.

Aurora is updated weekly, each build ideally getting more stable until the end of the 6 week period, when it becomes a beta.

Nop, Aurora will be nightly, beta is weekly.

nightly

Current Users 50,000

Anticipated Users 100,000

Type of User Mozilla developers and power users willing to risk massive instability to see and test the latest fixes

Anticipated Update Rate : nightly

Branded Not branded as Firefox, uses new "Nightly" icon

aurora

Current Users 0

Anticipated Users 1 million

Type of User Power users willing risk instability to see and test the latest fixes. There are higher stability expectations versus nightly

Anticipated Update Rate : nightly

Branded Not branded as Firefox, uses new "Aurora" icon

beta

Current Users 2.78 million

Anticipated Users 10 million

Type of User Current beta channel users

Anticipated Update Rate : weekly (highly dependent on found issues)

Branded Branded as Firefox

release

Current Users 100+ million

Anticipated Users 100+ million

Type of User Normal Firefox users

Anticipated Update Rate : 6-12 weeks

Branded Branded as Firefox

From this page

What happens if you switch to "Release" from the most up to date nightly?

And how do you get back to "Nightly" if you selected something else?

we can change the channel , so we can get back to nightly by changing the channel

also , if u choose release , IMO latest stable version will be downloaded , but i think that will lead to complications due to diff profiles etc , so i guess maybe just a link to final version would be given and update process would be manual (?)

IIRC in chrome, if you switch from dev to stable, you won't get any updates until the updates catch up with your current version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

how do you switch o.O u have to download the build separately , and ya , dev updates to dev , canary to canary , and stable to stable

Ok i have done whatever is need to update minefield/latest nightly to aurora but nothings happening .

i have FF4 already installed and then i installed minefield.i have two different profile.

can some give me a way video tuts to update nightly builds to aurora???

or step by step procedure to update...!!!!!!

i also want to know how can i run FF4 and minefield together with different profiles.(step by step procedure will be appreciated).

thanx....!!!!!!!!!

Ok i have done whatever is need to update minefield/latest nightly to aurora but nothings happening .

i have FF4 already installed and then i installed minefield.i have two different profile.

can some give me a way video tuts to update nightly builds to aurora???

or step by step procedure to update...!!!!!!

i also want to know how can i run FF4 and minefield together with different profiles.(step by step procedure will be appreciated).

thanx....!!!!!!!!!

Firsts Aurora builds will be available on April 12th !

To run Firefox and Minefield together you have to use the "no-remote" command :

Change the Minefield shortcut target to : X:\Path\To\Minefield Folder\firefox.exe -no-remote -p "Minefield Profile Name"

You can leave de Firefox shortcut like it is if you want to use it as primary webbrowser.

I think you can switch fro nightly to others, but to get back you have to re-download the nightly installer

Firsts Aurora builds will be available on April 12th !

To run Firefox and Minefield together you have to use the "no-remote" command :

Change the Minefield shortcut target to : X:\Path\To\Minefield Folder\firefox.exe -no-remote -p "Minefield Profile Name"

You can leave de Firefox shortcut like it is if you want to use it as primary webbrowser.

How do i find the profile name, and I need to include the quotes (profile name)?

Echofon stopped working so it would be nice to switch between the two (Y)

How do i find the profile name, and I need to include the quotes (profile name)?

Echofon stopped working so it would be nice to switch between the two (Y)

Firefox.exe -p

here's a thought, could someone put the current release schedule in the OP?

most likely just that pic is all that's needed

IIRC in chrome, if you switch from dev to stable, you won't get any updates until the updates catch up with your current version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

how do you switch o.O u have to download the build separately , and ya , dev updates to dev , canary to canary , and stable to stable

The ability to switch the channels within the browser is one of the things I like about Mozilla, as they are already foreseeing and preparing for the possibility that their builds they push to users can be broken. I would assume switching the channel and then clicking the "apply setting and install" button would immediately download the latest version from the channel you chose. Chrome, on the other hand, requires you to manually install another channel, which creates separate install directories for each and you will have multiple versions of chrome installed at the same time, whereas I would only prefer to have one version installed at any time and switch between aurora, beta, and release channels as needed based on their current stability.

The ability to switch the channels within the browser is one of the things I like about Mozilla, as they are already foreseeing and preparing for the possibility that their builds they push to users can be broken. I would assume switching the channel and then clicking the "apply setting and install" button would immediately download the latest version from the channel you chose. Chrome, on the other hand, requires you to manually install another channel, which creates separate install directories for each and you will have multiple versions of chrome installed at the same time, whereas I would only prefer to have one version installed at any time and switch between aurora, beta, and release channels as needed based on their current stability.

I also like that firefox now has nice seemless updating, similar to chrome, without using a separate updater process

without using a separate updater process

i don't really now why on earth google did it in that way

Is Mozilla going to bring 64-bit browser? I know browser don`t need 4 GB+ RAM...Just curious, so asked.

Is Mozilla going to bring 64-bit browser? I know browser don`t need 4 GB+ RAM...Just curious, so asked.

it WAS supposed to be released with version 4, but due to continued instability it was pushed back to version 5

at this point though there's still no telling if it will actually make it into the version 5 release or not

it WAS supposed to be released with version 4, but due to continued instability it was pushed back to version 5

at this point though there's still no telling if it will actually make it into the version 5 release or not

i think mozilla will focus on 64 bit more when 64-bit plugins will be ready