Meet Firefox 5.0

I keep telling ppl on forums and blogs where they blame firefox for the bad fonts that it is a problem with the Microsoft's DirectWrite API and they have to fix it.Unfortunately most of the users think that it is Firefox bug as it is a new feature in the new version.People don't realize that Firefox is using Microsoft API for HA and it is the API's fault.That is the current situation as far as i know.Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Then why does IE9 look so nice?

Nice diagram. Really clears up the confusion. And I love the new logos.

Looks like I will be switching to the Aurora as I hope it will be as stable as Chrome Dev usually is.

I tried out 64 bit Firefox a month or so ago .. seemed to work OK.

I'm not sure there are any advantages to using 64 bit browsers though ... are there any?

I dont think there are advantages, my impression has always been that they optimize the hell out of the 32-bit ones while 64-bit is not a priority. OS X is different though, all but one iteration of intel macs support 64 bits so they can pretty much get away with making it 64-bit and nobody noticing (though i guess they still use a 32-bit wrapper for 64-bit flash. AFAIK 64-bit flash is still a preview )

BTW, I'm getting similar sunspider benchmark in both 32-bit and 64-bit firefox latest alpha. Unlike IE9 (where it seems that the test takes 4 times longer on 64-bit)

I dont think there are advantages, my impression has always been that they optimize the hell out of the 32-bit ones while 64-bit is not a priority. OS X is different though, all but one iteration of intel macs support 64 bits so they can pretty much get away with making it 64-bit and nobody noticing (though i guess they still use a 32-bit wrapper for 64-bit flash. AFAIK 64-bit flash is still a preview )

BTW, I'm getting similar sunspider benchmark in both 32-bit and 64-bit firefox latest alpha. Unlike IE9 (where it seems that the test takes 4 times longer on 64-bit)

Yeah the 64 bit version of ie9 does not have the new ie9 javascript engine at all.

Be cautioned that Sunspider is probably not optimized or designed to test the capabilities of 64bit broswers until they create a specific version to do so. So the comparison is quite moot, but I would definitely agree that 64bit would benefit from optimization and better use of computer resources.

?

new_versions.png

ff5_schedule.png

Central = Nightly (Trunk)

Aurora = Experimental (Alpha)

Beta = Beta

Final = Release

And new Icons http://mozilla.seanmartell.com/engagement/logos-v2.png

So are we getting a build on the 12th with that new icon? :huh: Would most likely use that - I just can't stand the current minefield branding.

So when will the first aurora builds for FF5 be appearing? June? Or is that when the final release is planned for?

First auroras on April 12th

First betas on May 17h

Release of Firefox 5.0 on June 21st

Then why does IE9 look so nice?

As i said I'm not sure i am 100% right, but i have seen ppl say that some of IE9 users also get bad font rendering.It is a MS Browser after all and they may have implemented some workaround for their browser.

PS:Here are screenshots of Chromium,Firefox with HA and Anti-Alias Tuner addon,Firefox without HA and without the addon and IE9.

There are some character spacing problems when you use the GDI option in the addon,but they are not that often and i can live with them and hope they will be fixed later.

post-351666-0-53068400-1302313007.png

post-351666-0-41999100-1302313322.png

post-351666-0-36334600-1302313334.png

post-351666-0-82736000-1302313345.png

Sorry for double post,but for some reason i don't see the edit button on my first post.As you can see i have the same font rendering with FF with HA and with IE9.So it is not FF fault as far as i can see.

PS:Lol.I see edit button on this post now, but not on my first post.Is there some limit of how many edits a post can get?I edited my first post several times.

Thank you for the comparisons kilara1988.

I was considering upgrading to IE9 and making it my main browser, but after comparing the font rendering of IE9 and Fx 4.0, I don't really see any significant difference. I'm not going to bother upgrading to IE9.

Fx with AA Tuner looks the worst, GDI is not the way to go I believe.

PaulAuckNZ, that's not a browser feature, that's a website feature - and it sounds like it's broken due to some bad browser detection. The dialog sounds like "are you sure you want to navigate away from the page" style, no? Is it so hard to provide a URL? I'm guessing you refer to http://answers.microsoft.com/

Ok, funny that FF is the only browser that does it. Must be something in FF that no other browser has then. Yup thats the site you posted. Oh well, I'll live. I'll stick with Opera. Yup it was hard giving a url. Thats what Google is for

It's a site bug, some sites depend on certain Firefox bugs to work, so when they're fixed the site breaks. Look at Hotmail, it depended on Firefox's document.write() call not being standards compliant, so when they fixed it in 4.0 Hotmail broke (by continuously reloading)

And IE9 changes the gamma used for DirectWrite rendering if the user hasn't run the ClearType Tuner before, all it really results in is slightly stronger sub-pixel components though.

It seems the about window is getting themed to match the new icons.

987108556.png

I really like the new icons, although "Aurora" should have an aurora, not just a sunrise :laugh:

the channel selector ui just landed in the latest nightly!

RFZLA.png

to enable:

in about:config create new string app.update.desiredChannel

set value to release, beta, or aurora

It seems the about window is getting themed to match the new icons.

987108556.png

I really like the new icons, although "Aurora" should have an aurora, not just a sunrise :laugh:

Wow, just amazing!

bug #?

Those windows look great! I'm assuming Aurora comes before Beta, so I'd be eager to try a few Aurora builds and get some features before they go public!

I know this is a Firefox thread, but with people following the progress of Firefox, just wondering if anyone knew when Chrome was going to get the new font rendering like IE9 and Firefox.

Those windows look great! I'm assuming Aurora comes before Beta, so I'd be eager to try a few Aurora builds and get some features before they go public!

Same here. Very exciting!

I know this is a Firefox thread, but with people following the progress of Firefox, just wondering if anyone knew when Chrome was going to get the new font rendering like IE9 and Firefox.

They won't be using DirectWrite for some reason, but are pushing for an OpenGL implementation.

Considering the current tempo, it will be implemented in Chrome 43. Which will come out sometime this year.