Meet Firefox 5.0

the channel selector ui just landed in the latest nightly!

RFZLA.png

to enable:

in about:config create new string app.update.desiredChannel

set value to release, beta, or aurora

In case a particular build is buggy, this should make it really easy to update to a more stable build with a simple click.

They won't be using DirectWrite for some reason, but are pushing for an OpenGL implementation.

They're going to write their own font renderer?

They're going to write their own font renderer?

Maybe, would mean they could get an implementation which works with all the OS's OpenGL is installed on..?

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but are the Beta and Aurora builds available yet? If not that would explain why I can't find them.

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but are the Beta and Aurora builds available yet? If not that would explain why I can't find them.

No. as per this pic the first aurora buld will be out 3/12, with the first beta 5 weeks after, at 5/17

and if you enable the channel selector ui in the latest nightly, no need to look for the builds ;)

RFZLA.png

to enable:

I have the nightly build, today's build April 9. I do what you say here in your post. I go to About Minefield and DO NOT see this UI. What am I doing wrong?

How can I have both FF4 & nightly build installed, & have separate profiles for each one?

They install in different directories by default.

For profile manager see here: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing%20profiles

Edit: If you want to be able run both at the same time you can use the -no-remote option.

Example

firefox -no-remote -P "Profile Name"

do you see a "you are currently on the x update channel. Change" message? if so click on change

Also, what value did you set app.update.desiredChannel

I set the value: Aurora

Is that right?

It seems the about window is getting themed to match the new icons.

987108556.png

I really like the new icons, although "Aurora" should have an aurora, not just a sunrise :laugh:

I'm not seeing this. I did a clean install of Minefield on a separate profile.

RFZLA.png

to enable:

Where do I go to find the option to change the desired channel? I created the new string and set the value already.

I'm not seeing this. I did a clean install of Minefield on a separate profile.

it hasn't been implemented yet, you won't see them till the 12th when the other channels get released

Where do I go to find the option to change the desired channel? I created the new string and set the value already.

then you already selected your channel, the graphical channel selector hasn't been implemented yet afaik

This is how the icons would look :

(icons from this bug )

post-293012-0-81637700-1302401844.png

post-293012-0-99753700-1302401968.png

i think they should be lil lighter in shade , nightly in small sized taskbar looks like a black dot

I don't like the small icons so much, but I use large icons anyway.

it hasn't been implemented yet, you won't see them till the 12th when the other channels get released

It's already there. In About Minefield right after "You are currently on the Aurora update channel." there's a link that says "Change". Click it and you'll see the new UI.

This is how the icons would look :

(icons from this bug )

post-293012-0-81637700-1302401844.png

post-293012-0-99753700-1302401968.png

i think they should be lil lighter in shade , nightly in small sized taskbar looks like a black dot

i like them, it's a nice change of pace from the old bomb icon :)

It's already there. In About Minefield right after "You are currently on the Aurora update channel." there's a link that says "Change". Click it and you'll see the new UI.

it comes ONLY when u select a channel other than nightly from about:config

ah your right, i guess i didn't notice that :p

it comes ONLY when u select a channel other than nightly from about:config

I am using the nightlies, set my channel to nightly (aurora) in about:config and I get the new UI....

post-159052-0-82392000-1302402725.png

post-159052-0-16508600-1302402733.png

viper, nightly and aurora are two separate channels

the channels go: nightly > aurora > beta > release

the reason nightly isn't on the list is just like before they want to keep the nightlies less known to the general public because they tend to be the most unstable

I don't like the small icons so much, but I use large icons anyway.

Not sure how I missed that earlier, but I got it now. Thanks

ah thanks, I misunderstood that part, it was explained kind of strangely. Didn't release aurora was between nightly and beta.

So how often is aurora supposed to be updated? Something like once a week?