Meet the browser: Firefox Next

So according to you new games should just go back to 2D since someone already did a 3D game and others are now forbidden to do any other 3D games?You copied your house design(having windows and walls and roof) from my house so should you demolish your house and invent a completely different house design???Ofc not.You just see what useful and good features the competition has and if they are good and useful why not use them in your product too???I just don't get these guys.Implementing features that look like the ones on other browsers doesn't justify not taking the advantage of having those features just because they "look" the same as Chrome for example.I'm not going to try and explain anymore how stupid those "looks like xxx" etc. statements are.Ppl will just keep posting them,and they can just move to another browser if they don't like it.

Still doesn't justify the fact that it looks like Chrome. I've said many many time, fire the UX team, let the developers at DeviantArt do the work...for free!

the only similarity i see is that the tabs are curved, i don't see anywhere on the internet that says curves are not allowed to be used since chrome does it O.O

honestly, who cares what it looks like default, isn't that the point of firefox allowing custom themes?

the only similarity i see is that the tabs are curved, i don't see anywhere on the internet that says curves are not allowed to be used since chrome does it O.O

honestly, who cares what it looks like default, isn't that the point of firefox allowing custom themes?

You have a point but how far will one be able to change the default look? Firefox 13 you can theme to your hearts content but the custom themes still follow the form of the default.

Curved tab sux, along with other curved thing. It's harder for your humain brain to differentiate rounded shapes instead of squared one.

Just look at Microsoft Metro UI, it's all squarish for that reason.

The only reason for Mozilla to copy curved tab is because Chrome made it first. If they really wanted curved tab since the beginning they would have done it for Firefox 4.

Is Firefox 14 or 15 more responsive? I hate how sometimes it locks up and says not responding. That needs to be fixed a.s.a.p!! If they can fix that and finally add animated tabs like Chrome, it'll be near perfect in my opinion.

Pretty much every version increase should result in a slightly more responsive browser. The 'snappy' project is actively working on it, and there are fixes/improvements in every release. Difficult to quantify off the top of one's head though.

You have a point but how far will one be able to change the default look? Firefox 13 you can theme to your hearts content but the custom themes still follow the form of the default.

It's just as themeable as before. It's just that the default look is different.

So according to you new games should just go back to 2D since someone already did a 3D game and others are now forbidden to do any other 3D games?You copied your house design(having windows and walls and roof) from my house so should you demolish your house and invent a completely different house design???Ofc not.You just see what useful and good features the competition has and if they are good and useful why not use them in your product too???I just don't get these guys.Implementing features that look like the ones on other browsers doesn't justify not taking the advantage of having those features just because they "look" the same as Chrome for example.I'm not going to try and explain anymore how stupid those "looks like xxx" etc. statements are.Ppl will just keep posting them,and they can just move to another browser if they don't like it.

(Your block of text was quite a feat to decipher)

No, what I'm saying is the UX team keep coming up with crazy designs. Then even worst they pulled it out in the last minutes because of regression bugs and leave us with a half-baked design. They introduce more bugs than features. And Mozilla even set up a beach house for the team to supposedly 'help' them to create better design. And the best teh ux team could come up with is a copy of Chrome design? If Mozilla don't know that they are falling behind because of useless overhead cost, then bad on them.

All the meanwhile, firefox's core features is lagging behind everyone else.

Curved tab sux, along with other curved thing. It's harder for your humain brain to differentiate rounded shapes instead of squared one.

Just look at Microsoft Metro UI, it's all squarish for that reason.

Source? Besides, I would expect the effect is marginal, and mostly irrelevant for something like this. Especially when only the active tab is curved. The others don't show tabs at all, so what's to differentiate between?

The only reason for Mozilla to copy curved tab is because Chrome made it first. If they really wanted curved tab since the beginning they would have done it for Firefox 4.

Curved tabs were supposed to be in Firefox 4. As far as I recall technical and time problems prevented it.

And for goodness sake, get over it. Chrome did not 'invent' the curved tab. Tabs as a concept come from real world filing cabinets as it is - and those are curved!

Then even worst they pulled it out in the last minutes because of regression bugs and leave us with a half-baked design. They introduce more bugs than features.

You realise those are somewhat opposing concepts? Do you understand how development works? Things do not come into being perfectly formed.

Those tab aren't curved to death like on the previous screenshot : https://wiki.mozilla...s_Theme_Mockups

What's makes it even worse is that the tab in the background are barely visible, I'll stick with my colourful tab which makes easier to spot tab per domain. Hopefully some extension will allow us to have squarish tab.

Hmm, I recall them being more curved than that, but I may be mistaken. (Certainly it's more 'curvy' than the current tabs, and I believe that intended 4.0 rounded edges was lost for technical reasons.)

I used to use colourful tabs, not sure why I stopped. I don't think the new style particularly prevents that though - you just colour the background of inactive tabs.

Undoubtedly there will be extensions for squared off tabs. Perfectly reasonable to use them too, if you prefer them.

We will see Firefox 14 sooner than expected? Already Firefox 14 Beta 8 :rolleyes:

No.

Releases have a strict schedule. New betas are made when significant bugs are fixed.

We will see Firefox 14 sooner than expected? Already Firefox 14 Beta 8 :rolleyes:

That's the difference between now and then :p Earlier releases came whenever they were ready , now it is done in 6 weeks and if something is broken , it is removed, so that security features and other cool things do not come late to users. Godforbid if Mozilla was using same old mechanism you would have seen New Tab Page , Sync Improvements , Addon Manager Improvements , TypeInference , MemShrink , About Snappy fixes and many such things around this time, till then you would have been using Firefox 5.0 , slowest of all browsers and a memory hog.

Most of the links are there on first post of this thread :)

http://people.mozill...ein/ux-nightly/

(ADMINS PLEASE PUT THIS LINK TO FIRST POST)

This is probably a dumb question because I'm guessing there isn't one, but is there a portable version to the latest UX? If there isn't one, can it be easily made? Also, a portable version for Firefox 14 Beta, Aurora 15, or even Nightly 16? Thanks!

This is probably a dumb question because I'm guessing there isn't one, but is there a portable version to the latest UX? If there isn't one, can it be easily made? Also, a portable version for Firefox 14 Beta, Aurora 15, or even Nightly 16? Thanks!

I am not very sure but replacing the content of "App" of any regular Portable version of Firefox just might do it :p