Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Continued Use of Windows XP  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Still Using Windows XP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Why Are You Still Using XP?

• I don't use it (I answered No to the previous question)
    • Computer's too slow
    • Some software still doesn't work
    • Just not a fan of Vista/7
    • Don't want to pay to upgrade yet
    • Virtual Machine
    • Other

Well, I guess I meant "Do you still use Windows XP on your main computer?"

Oh, I see. In that case I only use Windows XP in a VM on my main computer.

Well, I guess I meant "Do you still use Windows XP on your main computer?"

I think sticking another 1 GB of RAM in there would help, better yet another 2 GB.

No- I have Windows 7 as my main computer-- Machine Max is 2gb-

Xp runs just great on the 1gig that it is handed.

Basically the Laptop is just something to do the quick odd and end things.

It's just a question I asked out of curiosity, because my grandma got a brand new computer for her work, but it came with Windows XP. It's an HP ProBook, with a Windows 7 COA.

:o She got a brand new ProBook ? Trust me. Slap 7 on there, it will run like a dream.

• Like 2

Only in a VM. Directly on the hard drive, hell no.

If someone offered me a trillion bucks to keep XP on it, I'd just cheat him on it - via installing XP on a separate HD partition and just leaving it be while I use 7 on the other. :D (See how clever I can get?)

Yes. Some software still doesn't work. Basically, programs in general have better compatibility, so I can test software better.

I only use it in a dual boot configuration on a development machine though, still it seems to run more efficiently than WIndows 7 which I have tried on that same machine.

If someone asks me which version of Windows they should install on their machine, I do still recommend XP, as per the aforementioned reasons.

Yes. Some software still doesn't work. Basically, programs in general have better compatibility, so I can test software better.

Then it's time to upgrade the software. If consumer software hasn't been updated to include support for at least Vista now, then they shouldn't be used at all.

Yes. Some software still doesn't work.

This is true with custom written software and older applications for places such as insurance companies, pharmacies etc. I've come across people on Yachts/smaller vessels who need XP to run their navigation software (expensive). For the average person who browses/checks mail/ burns some DVD's/ light gaming there is practically nothing that doesn't work on 7. And if there is, there is an equivalent that does a google search away.

XP does the job better (for me anyways) than 7 or Vista. W2K did the job even better but some programs developed some quirks so I had to go to XP.

my one laptop is stuck with windows Xp

Specs

AMD X2 1.7GHZ

2GIG ddr2

Integrated ATI Express x1250 256 Shared memory

Reason : the Express ChipSet Dose not Support WDDM V1/V2 Driver Model. There for all UI is still rendered in CPU instead of GPU. Therefore using Vista/Win7 would degrade Performance on the Laptop.

Then it's time to upgrade the software. If consumer software hasn't been updated to include support for at least Vista now, then they're less than reputable, and shouldn't be used at all.

Ugh. I forgot threads get locked after a certain time. Why, Neowin, why? :angry:

Windows XP is blazing fast (even after .NET BS installed !!) on AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and 1GB RAM system. Used mostly for 360p-720p playback.

I've had to deploy XP MODE on customer's networks for the sole reason of incompatabilities with 7, thank you IE 6, i owe you one.

I have win 7 on two computers and XP on two others that I own. The ones with XP on them are just old and I see no point in taking them to Win7.

I dual boot, the reason is I still have some games that have compatibly issues with Vista/7.

Most of the time, I'm in Windows 7, however do drop in to XP from time to time.

XP is very fast on my AMD 6 Core 1090 with 8 gb (aka 3.25 gb usable) ram system.

My server is using Windows XP Pro at the moment...Reason? Haven't had the chance to format and install freeBSD on it. Maybe this weekend I'll have some spare time...Plus, I'm not sure if I want to play with freeBSD or Fedora 15...But by the end of the month at the latest, wont have XP at home :)

Just at work...Computer upgrades aren't in the work budget...And some of the programs we use don't work in Linux, even with Wine...

For me a few of my games do not work(well the last time i had 7 on it which was like 4-5 months ago)sides it works fine. i need to get around to putting 7 back on in a dual boot config to test them again. I liked 7 alot when i had it.

I do, but in a VM only, and I've got one old install on an old IDE disk I can easily plug in, it has some games on it that don't work on Vista/7.

I'm still using it on an old Dell D810, for streaming video in the kitchen. It's running fine, so I haven't had the need to update it at all.