There's some great news for users of the Nokia Lumia 1520.3 and Samsung ATIV SE. The Nokia Lumia 1520.3; a SIM-unlocked variant of the Lumia 1520 that can run on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands is now receiving the much awaited Lumia Denim firmware update. Similarly, Verizon's Samsung ATIV SE is receiving the Windows Phone 8.1.1 update much to the joy of the device's owners.
Talking about the Lumia Denim update for the Nokia Lumia 1520.3, there's a lot in store for the phablet including Lumia camera 5.0 and "Hey Cortana" passive voice integration. Although we have covered the update extensively in the past, here are a couple more notable features of Lumia Denim:
- Cortana – The most personal digital assistant on the market will now be available in the UK and China as a Beta. India, Canada and Australia will have access to Cortana as a public Alpha. For US residents, Cortana now includes an improved natural language, car kit integration via Bluetooth for contacts, snooze reminders and calendar improvements.
- Live folders – If you prefer to keep your apps or games organized, you can now put them into folders. Simply press, hold and drag an app over another to create a new folder on the Start screen. Each folder can be renamed by tapping on the text field above the open folder.
- Apps Corner – Create a customised Start screen, where only specific apps or games are accessible. This could be particularly useful in the workplace if you’re issuing Windows Phones to employees.
- SMS merge and forwarding – Select individual text messages to either delete them out of a messaging thread, or to copy and past them into a new message in order to forward them.
- Snooze Times – It’s now possible to customise the snooze time within the Alarm app.
- Consumer VPN – Maintain privacy and security when using data while connected to public Wi-Fi hotspots or even with your home Wi-Fi.
- Mobile Web Site improvements in IE – Connect and browse even faster with improved downloading speeds on mobile websites.
- Store Live Tile (US only) – The Store Live Tile displays featured apps and games that are the most popular in the Store, or most relevant for you.
The updated version numbers are 8.10.14234.375 for the OS and 02540.00019.15053.26003 for the firmware. While the update should already be available, if you have opted into the 'Preview for Developers' make sure that you disable this option as it could prevent the update from being available.
Similarly, the Samsung ATIV SE is finally receiving the Windows Phone 8.1.1 update for Verizon customers. The device was previously on the rather ancient Windows Phone 8 build but it seems Verizon has now finally approved the much bigger and better Windows Phone 8.1.1 update to its customers.
The latest firmware build is now 2184.108.40.206 which brings the following features to the handset:
- Translucent tiles + background
- Word Flow keyboard
- Action and notification center
- Custom volume levels
- Screen projection
- Internet Explorer 11
- Sense Apps: Wi-Fi Sense, Battery Saver, Data Sense, Storage Sense
- App folders on the Start screen
- New ATIV Camera replaces the Shooting Mode app, bringing you a full-featured camera experience with improved interface and expanded shooting modes
Has your device received the Lumia Denim or Windows Phone 8.1.1 update yet? Let us know in the comments.
Source: Windows Central