Just a day after AMD, Nvidia today released its GeForce Game Ready 391.35 WHQL-certified drivers, bringing optimizations for Ubisoft’s Far Cry 5 – though, this release is not quite perfect. This update comes just a week after 391.24, which introduced optimizations for Sea of Thieves.
There are a number of bug fixes in this update, including fix for a memory leak:
- GeForce 3D Profile Manager tool can't import profiles. 
- [GeForce Experience]: Memory leak occurs leading to poor game performance when using NVIDIA Freestyle. 
- [NVIDIA Control Panel][SLI][Diablo III]: With V-Sync on and SLI enabled, the game freezes after switching windows (ALT+TAB) a few times. 
- [Notebook]: The driver may fail to initialize the GPU. 
Windows 10 Issues
- [Far Cry 5]: Green flickering occurs in the game when using HDR with non-native resolution.
- [NVIDIA TITAN V][G-Sync]: G-Sync displays may go blank when switching between different overclocked memory clocks multiple times. 
- [SLI][GeForce GTX 780 Ti]: There is no display output when connecting the DisplayPort and two DVI monitors. 
- [GeForce TITAN (Kepler-based)]: The OS fails after installing the graphics card on a Threadripper-enabled motherboard. 
- [Pascal GPUs][Gears of War 4]: Blue-screen crash may occur while playing the game. 
- [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][Doom]: The game crashes due to the driver reverting to OpenGL 1.1 when HDR is enabled. 
- Gears of War 4 may randomly crash
- Doom (OpenGL) may crash on launch if HDR is enabled in Windows
- Custom color settings reset on reboot in Windows 10 FCU -> Working with Microsoft on issue
- Starcraft 2 shows black screen on exit on Kepler GPUs
- Dragging some apps from monitor 1 connected to GPU to monitor 2 connected to different GPU may cause driver to crash
Although this driver is optimized for Far Cry 5, it still has a bug for those playing the game with HDR enabled at a non-native resolution, as Nvidia points out in the known issues. If you do encounter the issue, Nvidia provides players with a workaround:
To work around, either quit and then restart the game while in the desired resolution, or press [Alt+tab] away from and then back to the game, or press [Alt+Enter] to switch to windowed mode and then back to full-screen mode.
Additionally, the new drivers add or update the SLI profiles for these titles:
- WRC 7
Along with all of that, there is a long list of security updates as well:
- CVE-2018-6247 - Vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgkDdiEscape where a NULL pointer dereference may lead to Denial of Service or Escalation of Privileges
- CVE-2018-6248 - Vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler for DxgkDdiEscape where the software uses a sequential operation to read or write a buffer, but it uses an incorrect length value that causes it to access memory that is outside of the bounds of the buffer which may lead to denial of service or possible escalation of privileges
- CVE-2018-6249 - Vulnerability in kernel mode layer handler where a NULL pointer dereference may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges
- CVE-2018-6250 - Vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgkDdiEscape where a NULL pointer dereference occurs which may lead to denial of service or possible escalation of privileges
- CVE-2018-6251 - Vulnerability in Directx 10 Usermode driver, where specially crafted pixel shader can cause writing to unallocated memory which may lead to denial of service or potential code execution
- CVE-2018-6252 - Vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler for DxgkDdiEscape where the software allows an actor access to restricted functionality that is unnecessary to production usage, and which may result in denial of service
- CVE-2018-6253 - Vulnerability in DirectX and OpenGL Usermode drivers where specially crafted pixel shader can cause infinite recursion which may lead to denial of service
The 391.35 WHQL-certified drivers can be downloaded via the GeForce Experience app on Windows, or via the links down below. The complete release notes are available here.