Traditionally, Nvidia Shield TV users haven't been able to customize the set-top box's menu system - until now. Nvidia has announced that it has started to roll out SHIELD Experience Upgrade 7.0 to all users, which introduces a redesigned home screen based on Android 8.0 Oreo.
The upgrade places all of the entertainment content such as Live TV, video-on-demand, streaming media, and games front and center on the main screen. Users can also select their favorite apps and reorder them by holding the Select button. There's also an option to access all of the apps by long-pressing the Home button or tapping the red Apps icon.
Shield TV also now lets users continue watching movies, shows or games they have already started through the "Play Next" row. Streamers can add content to Play Next by navigating to the content of interest and long-pressing the Select button. Keep in mind, however, that not all apps support Play Next, though Nvidia vows to expand the list of supporting apps.
The upgraded Shield TV also displays popular content like YouTube and Netflix in channels for an easier way of discovering new content while users can add or remove a channel.
Additional enhancements and improvements include:
- Grow your media library on PLEX without worrying about SHIELD’s internal storage space. Your server’s app data (metadata, background art, and more) can now be moved to USB storage devices. From the PLEX app, go to Settings > Plex Media Server > Storage Location.
- Improved support for game controllers:
- Customize SHIELD controller thumbstick dead zones (Settings-> Apps-> Input viewer)
- Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 v2 controllers
- DualShock 4 controllers using USB wireless adapter
- Resolves pairing issues with Xbox One controllers after system restart
- Quick access to Settings when you’re on the home screen by holding the Back button
- The latest monthly Android security updates
- Support for high polling rate gaming mice for NVIDIA GameStream
- Ability to connect to Wi-Fi without disconnecting Ethernet (Settings-> Network-> Ethernet)
- Option to re-pair disconnected Bluetooth accessories (Settings-> Accessories)
- Option to keep SHIELD awake when switching TV input (Settings-> Display & sound-> Power control)
- Option to disable input switch to SHIELD when activating a SHIELD accessory (Settings-> Display & sound-> Power control)
- Resolves issue where captive portal had difficulty connecting over SSL enabled web portals
- Adds additional IR codes for Coocaa, LeTV, and Xiaomi living room products
- Correctly removes app OBB files from adopted storage when apps are uninstalled
- Fixes issue during IR setup where some LG TVs are not identified correctly
- Adds warning for slow storage devices when trying to adopt storage
- Resolves instances of temporary missing audio immediately after wake or extended idle periods
- Improves RS (right stick) mouse compatibility with sideloaded apps
- Optimizes internal drive after SHIELD Upgrades to improve performance (SHIELD TV Pro only)
- General stability fixes on SHIELD remote (2017) and SHIELD controller (2017)
- Latest accessory firmware versions:
- SHIELD controller (2017): v1.24
- SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
- SHIELD remote (2017): v1.33
- SHIELD remote (rechargeable): v.1.30
Nvidia says the upgrade will be released gradually over the next few weeks, although users who wish to get an early pass can join the SHIELD Preview Program.