When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Windows 10 user base on Steam reaches all-time high of 51.2%

Earlier this year, Windows 10 user base on Steam finally crossed the 50% milestone, 17 months after release. However, in subsequent months, the operating system's user base declined considerably, down to 48.77%.

Now, according to the latest Steam hardware survey, Windows 10 is now being used by 51.2% of surveyed Steam gamers, an all-time high for the OS.

The latest report by Valve indicates that 50.15% of Steam users are utilizing the 64-bit version of Windows 10, whereas 1.05% are using the 32-bit version, accounting for an overall user base of 51.2%. This is a sizeable increase of 2.43 percentage points compared to the data from last month. All other iterations of the operating system either remained stagnant in terms of user base or declined. Windows 7 tumbled down to 34.74% - a noticeable decrease of 2.07 percentage points. Overall, Windows still gained user base, solidifying its position as the most-preferred OS at 96.05%.

Apple's OS X user base declined slightly to 3.11%, the only iterations that saw an increase were versions 10.12.3 and 10.12.4. On the other hand, Linux remained stagnant with its relatively minuscule 0.77% user base.

In terms of hardware, 8GB of RAM is still the most-used configuration by Steam gamers. The display resolution for primary displays and multi-monitor setups was 1920x1080 and 3840x1080 respectively.

It is worth noting that Steam's report is based on optional user surveys so it may not accurately depict the real situation. That said, it'll be interesting to see how the release of the Creators Update later this month affects the aforementioned figures.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

This week in science: space exploration developments and the latest on human brain implants

Previous Article

SoundCloud changes policy, moves US user data controller from Europe to the States

Join the conversation!

Login or Sign Up to read and post a comment.

38 Comments - Add comment