• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

.Neo    1,834

The per-application Expose still seems to work the same way as before. But I would agree that Mission Control does seem to have overcomplicated Expose. It's like they really wanted you to be using Dashboard, despite the fact Apple hasn't updated their own widgets in a half decade.

You can't activate it by press and holding the Dock icon anymore though. You need to activate a gesture or press control + Expos? button (the latter is extremely awkward to execute).

The fact Apple removed the ability to tab > drag and drag lock is beyond me as well. You either have to physically press down the trackpad (which is a pain) or use three fingers to drag. Can't stand it.

I honestly can't believe that none of the major issues many of us had with Mac OS X Lion since DP1 haven't been addressed at all. Mission Control and Launchpad just seem broken to me.

.Neo    1,834

*have been addressed.

Elliott    235

You can't activate it by press and holding the Dock icon anymore though. You need to activate a gesture or press control + Expos? button (the latter is extremely awkward to execute).

The fact Apple removed the ability to tab > drag and drag lock is beyond me as well. You either have to physically press down the trackpad (which is a pain) or use three fingers to drag. Can't stand it.

I honestly can't believe that none of the major issues many of us had with Mac OS X Lion since DP1 haven't been addressed at all. Mission Control and Launchpad just seem broken to me.

Tap > drag and drag lock works just fine for me in Lion DP4 on my trackpad. As for per-app expos?, three/four finger swipe down seems like a good enough way for me.

.Neo    1,834

Tap > drag and drag lock works just fine for me in Lion DP4 on my trackpad.

How? I swear I can't get it to work the same way as I'm used to on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. When I tab (not click) my Magic Trackpad and try to drag something nothing happens. There are no preferences to be found regarding this anywhere in the Trackpad pane. Except for three finger drag. It's frustrating.

The only way to drag or select things is by enabling three finger drag or by physically pressing down the Trackpad and drag while keeping the thing pushed down.

As for per-app expos?, three/four finger swipe down seems like a good enough way for me.

If you own a Trackpad. People who don't are pretty much screwed.

Elliott    235

How? I swear I can't get it to work the same way as I'm used to on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. When I tab (not click) my Trackpad and try to drag something nothing happens.

Oh, no, scratch that. I see what you mean. I was using the newer three-finger drag gesture (I've become used to using that one :p).

Yea, it looks like they got rid of the single finger tap drag lock.

.Neo    1,834

*sigh* Very unhappy with this.

Have you found any way to remove items from Launchpad btw?

Elliott    235

Have you found any way to remove items from Launchpad btw?

Nope. I hit the X, say delete, and they come right back. :laugh:

Launchpad is just going to be one of those features I probably never use, so I don't even care what they do to screw it up.

KeR    82

I noticed that the Music player on the iPad was completely changed.

post-9075-0-23344600-1307494897.png

post-9075-0-18880900-1307494935.png

.Neo    1,834

That looks absolutely terrible. I like the current player much more. :/ Looking at Address Book and iCal it wouldn't surprise me one bit if iTunes 11 resembles that new iPad look as well.

Launchpad is just going to be one of those features I probably never use, so I don't even care what they do to screw it up.

Doesn't really matter what Apple screwed up in Mac OS X Lion huh, it's all okay by your account... ;)

Elliott    235

Doesn't really matter what Apple screwed up in Mac OS X Lion huh, it's all okay by your account... ;)

Not at all. I just honestly think Launchpad is the only one they've really screwed up on. I know it's not finished, but it just seems convoluted.

I know I might be one of the only ones, but I like Mission Control, and I like what they've done with the trackpad gestures. However, I don't like how horizontal scrolling is basically screwed because of left-right scroll acting as back-forward in Safari (though I haven't tested that in DP4).

I'm also seriously excited by the new developer APIs in Lion. iCloud alone is exceptional. Developers basically won't have any reason to not include cloud sync since it'll even do automatic sync conflict resolution on Core Data stores.

Quillz    1,011

Yeah, the new iPad music app looks really weird. What's with the orange progress bar instead of the usual colored band?

.Neo    1,834

Yeah, the new iPad music app looks really weird. What's with the orange progress bar instead of the usual colored band?

I have honestly no idea where they are going with it. It looks like something you would see on Linux. :x

PyX    140

I have honestly no idea where they are going with it. It looks like something you would see on Linux. :x

Especially when you take a look at the old music player and notice that everything was so? fine in that player. My God, why did they even think of rewriting it from scratch ? Imagine... someone really put the iPad far away, looked at it with the index finger below the chin, scratching the beard a little and said : hey, we need to throw this crap in the garbage and make a totally new one. That?s beyond me.

I can simply not wait to get my hands on iTunes 10.5 and iOS 5. All this device syncing has driven me crazy over the last 4 years at university. When I end it, it?s not going to be so much of a hassle, but iCloud is still going to help a little.

PyX    140

Nope. I hit the X, say delete, and they come right back. :laugh:

You?re kidding me? There?s still no obvious way to remove apps from there?

I know I will use LaunchPad over my stack any time, but I?d like it if I could put it in the right place on the Dock, and change the icon to a stack pile or anything I want. This doesn?t belong on the left IMO, as it?s really opening a (virtual) folder and showing the contents to you. While we?re at it, they should merge LaunchPad to the already existing Stacks feature and let us do stacks with it, but it would open a physical folder, not a virtual one.

DeadEndAccount    508
Yes, but in Lion DP. We are talking about Safari 5.1 DP for Snow Leopard which doesn't include hardware acceleration.

Are there any hints as to whether they're going to add it or is it going to be a 'Lion only' feature? I wonder what what extent that the hardware acceleration depends on OpenGL 3.2 :unsure:

Fish bowl wasn't so fast for me, but I'm assuming that's just because my MBP's GPU is crap (and probably isn't supported by 5.1's canvas acceleration). :p

Was it running on Snow Leopard or Lion? As revanmj noted, there isn't full hardware acceleration when running Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard.

btw what GPU is in your notebook?

Managed to get a copy of Mac OS X Lion DP4 so I'm going to check it out shortly. I'm mainly worried about how Spaces in DP1 was handled with Mission Control, it wasn't anywhere near as Fluid as SL. Will be installing to External HDD this time, slow boot but I get to keep my main OS until Judgement Day :).

I wonder how close to 'final' DP4 actually is - I'm having a look on Webkit and it appears that DP4 was compiled around a week ago based on the Safari build that has been included with DP4. When they speak about 'July' I wonder to what extent we're going to see the last bit of development wind up at the end of June/beginning of July and have around 2 weeks of settling before it appears on the AppStore.

The build number of DP4 is, according to websites, 11A480b which leads me to wonder whether the final build will be something like 11A490 or 11A500; I wonder whether there are things not yet merged but will be mature enough to merge before it 'ships' to the web. Oh well, time will tell when it finally 'ships' in July :D

Yeah it's a shame iMessage isn't part of Mac OS X Lion. I also don't have a single clue as to why iChat and FaceTime have to be separate applications.

What leaves me more confused is why Apple hasn't licensed the Messenger protocol from Microsoft and added Facebook support. IMHO iChat should be the 'hub' of instant messaging.

Elliott    235

Was it running on Snow Leopard or Lion? As revanmj noted, there isn't full hardware acceleration when running Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard.

btw what GPU is in your notebook?

It was in Lion DP4. GeForce 9400M.

What leaves me more confused is why Apple hasn't licensed the Messenger protocol from Microsoft and added Facebook support. IMHO iChat should be the 'hub' of instant messaging.

Facebook support through Jabber is fairly rudimentary but basically has all the functionality of Facebook Chat. As for Messenger support, I suppose Microsoft could just come out with an iChat Service plugin now (API added in Lion), but I wouldn't bet on that. :laugh:

Quillz    1,011

The only good news is it's beta, so hopefully Apple gets lots of negative feedback and they make some much-needed changes.

.Neo    1,834

You?re kidding me? There?s still no obvious way to remove apps from there?

There is no way to remove an app from it at all except for manually editing the support file maybe...

Quillz    1,011

Changing wallpapers for each Desktop still seems a bit non-discoverable. It makes sense in how it's actually done, but I wonder if that's something they might change.

cyrl    8

I noticed that the Music player on the iPad was completely changed.

that doesnt seem like apple at all :/ Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of features included in Mac OS Lion?

cyrl    8

^Thanks. I think apple really messed with the upgrade cycles this time. Usually iOS update is released in july now we have to wait couple of months more.

Did adobe update Photoshop to work as a fullscreen app?

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

Did adobe update Photoshop to work as a fullscreen app?

no nothing yet

.Neo    1,834

They always do that, some of the new "features" are pretty laughable :D

Just like those 500+ changes in the WP7 Mango update.