• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

cyrl    8

The developer previews (downloaded from the App Store) so far have actually contained a disc image that people have managed to use for a clean install, so I'm guessing it will still be possible in the final release.

That clears up some air though I wish it was sold in a box set as well. It feels great to own a physical version of it.

That might be the case, but I doubt it because there are strong rumours that Facebook are integrating Spotify into their service, and Spotify is a major rival of Microsoft's Zune Pass service.

But spotify isnt mainly for apple devices its for other platforms as well. I wonder if anyone brought it during the Q & A session about apple and facebook.

Keynote is online: WWDC 2011 Keynote

Thanks. Did anyone find a youtube link to watch the keynote? Apple havent uploaded it still :/

One quick question. Did anyone manage or know how to get a new @me.com id? Since mobileme is closed now I wonder how the system works. I dont want my apple ID to be included in that though.

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

anyone find out about the x64 only rumour? is anyone even running the dev build on a core duo?

i just booted with i386 on my macbook pro, so yes 86x bit is still there...

+warwagon    13,100

That clears up some air though I wish it was sold in a box set as well. It feels great to own a physical version of it.

But spotify isnt mainly for apple devices its for other platforms as well. I wonder if anyone brought it during the Q & A session about apple and facebook.

Thanks. Did anyone find a youtube link to watch the keynote? Apple havent uploaded it still :/

One quick question. Did anyone manage or know how to get a new @me.com id? Since mobileme is closed now I wonder how the system works. I dont want my apple ID to be included in that though.

Ya they did, I watched it on the apple website 3 hours ago.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/wwdc-2011/

Quillz    1,011

How do you get the standard disk image from DP4? I'm looking in /SharedSupport/ and all I'm see is InstallESD.dmg.

cyrl    8

Would it be great if imessage was integrated into Mac OS as well? Like FaceTime?

Ya they did, I watched it on the apple website 3 hours ago.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/wwdc-2011/

Thanks. But I am searching for the YouTube version. :)

Corris    42

Anyone know if we finally get custom text tones?

I saw that it had custom tones for mail and calendar, and custom vibrations, but I can't seem to see if that comes with custom text/sms tones too.

Quillz    1,011

So, it would definitely seem that Apple has backed away from merging the server and client releases of Lion into one product, as they initially said they were going to do.

Southern Patriot    933

So, it would definitely seem that Apple has backed away from merging the server and client releases of Lion into one product, as they initially said they were going to do.

They specifically talked about that in the keynote. Server is simply a set of apps that you run on the standard client of Lion, and it is included.

edit: hmm, they do have a separate page for Server now though, and it costs extra ($50). Weird. Maybe they did change their minds about it http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

Noveed    21

Microsoft should take heed iOS5 was officially unveiled today and its available to all Devs today as well. Wish mango was like this.

Rudy    457

iTunes 10.5 sure fits a lot better with Lion than the old version

Quillz    1,011

They specifically talked about that in the keynote. Server is simply a set of apps that you run on the standard client of Lion, and it is included.

edit: hmm, they do have a separate page for Server now though, and it costs extra ($50). Weird. Maybe they did change their minds about it http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

Except for the very first DP, all the Lions builds have had separate Server builds, as well. This is why I'm thinking they changed their mind about integrating the two.

Hulos    0

Do you get a free upgrade to Lion if you recently bought your Mac? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Quillz    1,011

Do you get a free upgrade to Lion if you recently bought your Mac? Has anyone heard anything about this?

I believe you get a free update if you buy a Mac once the actual release date has been announced. All we have at the moment is "July."

Hulos    0

I believe you get a free update if you buy a Mac once the actual release date has been announced. All we have at the moment is "July."

Thank you. I'll be on the lookout :)

danisflying527    5

I **** my pants when the 1 came off the 129...

I was like Holy crap is this really apple?

Quillz    1,011

I **** my pants when the 1 came off the 129...

I was like Holy crap is this really apple?

Apple makes their profit margin off hardware sales, not software sales. Not to mention they already set a $29 precedent with Snow Leopard, so I'm not surprised they kept the price the same with Lion.

Besides, by going solely to digital distribution, it also cuts down the pressing and packaging that would normally inflate the price.

instant.human    45

It's still a nice price. Especially for those that thought the new features are not superduperawesome or as big as Expos? or Spotlight were when they came out.

29? is perfectly reasonable for those new features, whether you think they are small or big and a few new UI elements and redesigns. It's enough to be a real update but less enough to be a great deal for everyone. At least that's my feeling. No reason not to upgrade now, even if you think it's not that big of a leap forward.

DomZ    26

If I had some ideas for an App which I would like to finish by fall when iOS5 officially comes out... would you reccomend installing this (early) beta on your main iOS device? I guess not so much? Common sense tells me "don't do it, fall is far away" but the playful child in me says "dude, do it, that way you have plenty of time left"...

I tend to jump right in. If you want to submit it before iOS5 is out you can download the normal xCode and build it for 4.3. You might want to have access to a 4.x device somewhere though just to make sure things are running as planned on that version as well as your going along

instant.human    45

I tend to jump right in. If you want to submit it before iOS5 is out you can download the normal xCode and build it for 4.3. You might want to have access to a 4.x device somewhere though just to make sure things are running as planned on that version as well as your going along

The thing is that this would be an experiment. I have no idea on how it will play out and since there is no going back from iOS5 Beta to iOS4 once upgraded, I'm a little bit worried that I'm stuck with ... yeah, what it is, a Beta-OS on the device I use the most day to day... Normally, I would just get an iPod Touch from somewhere but I can't this time. Sooo... If I took this super seriously and had a well laid out plan ahead of me and knew exactly what I was doing, I would jump right in and live with that until fall, my iPhone will only be as capable as the Beta. But then again, I really want to see how it worked out with the notifications and the new APIs...

I'm just scared that the Beta is just that... a Beta... Pretty stupid, I know... :laugh: But then again, from most of what I've heard, iOS Betas tend to be quite stable already. Awww I just don't dare it. I'm a *****.

Hulos    0

Can't you just reset your iPhone and shift-click the restore button in iTunes to select a clean, non-beta .ipa? If the beta really turns out disastrous

instant.human    45

Can't you just reset your iPhone and shift-click the restore button in iTunes to select a clean, non-beta .ipa? If the beta really turns out disastrous

From all I've heard... no. I thought so too but a friend of mine told me once you are on iOS5 Beta there is no going back, as long as you don't to some kind of SHSH-Backup or something.

If anyone could confirm that going back to pre-iOS5 with a clean 4.3.3 ipa... I'm all in. I mean, it's only logical... you can't expect developers to use a beta full time until fall, can you? :whistle:

Quillz    1,011

It seems that iTunes 10.5 will retain all the songs I've downloaded, but not podcasts. I have to re-subscribe to podcasts on each computer?

DomZ    26

The thing is that this would be an experiment. I have no idea on how it will play out and since there is no going back from iOS5 Beta to iOS4 once upgraded, I'm a little bit worried that I'm stuck with ... yeah, what it is, a Beta-OS on the device I use the most day to day... Normally, I would just get an iPod Touch from somewhere but I can't this time. Sooo... If I took this super seriously and had a well laid out plan ahead of me and knew exactly what I was doing, I would jump right in and live with that until fall, my iPhone will only be as capable as the Beta. But then again, I really want to see how it worked out with the notifications and the new APIs...

I'm just scared that the Beta is just that... a Beta... Pretty stupid, I know... :laugh: But then again, from most of what I've heard, iOS Betas tend to be quite stable already. Awww I just don't dare it. I'm a *****.

The beta's aren't usually that buggy, and Apple tends to release new builds every couple of weeks which means if there are showstoppers you wont be stuck with them for too long. Personally I'd say upgrade to the beta and enjoy the new features/testing your app with the new build

Quillz    1,011

Is iTunes 10.5 finally rewritten in Cocoa? It does support fullscreen, any corner resizing and fits in much better to Lion's UI.

Saad_Salman    1

From OS Lion's feature page:

Search tokens

Building on the power of search suggestions, the Finder in OS X Lion includes tokens ? a smart new way to filter your searches. When you select a suggestion, a token is created. Instantly your search is filtered, and you see only the files that meet those criteria. You can change the scope of the token by clicking the arrow. If you want to narrow your search even more, you can use multiple tokens together. For example, to find all the Keynote presentations sent by Chris, enter ?Keynote? and ?Chris? in the search field. This creates two tokens, so the Finder displays only presentations from Chris.

That sounds so sweet!