• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

ynnoj    23

Are push notifications coming to the iOS App Store too?

Really psyched for iOS 5.

Also, does anybody have a link to the wallpaper that featured on the Macs during the Lion demos?

Damian    119

Is iTunes 10.5 finally rewritten in Cocoa? It does support fullscreen, any corner resizing and fits in much better to Lion's UI.

Seems like it. 10.5 is also 64 bit finally.

Southern Patriot    937

One thing I haven't seen anyone here mentioning is the change in the licensing for OS X. That $29.99 gets you Lion on ALL of your Macs, not just one. So, it is really more like the family pack now. Yes, I know, there never was any real restriction on how many times you could install it anyway, but it is nice that they made that "official".

On another note though, one thing I find annoying about the "redownload past purchases" feature is that it doesn't seem to include any of the weekly free stuff you might have gotten in the past. While I can see the reasoning behind this, I had really hoped that they would have allowed you to go back and get those. I lost some in the past that I had gotten that way, and there still is no way to get them back other than as a new purchase.

CPressland    176

Gah I wanna try DP4 so bad! But cannot afford a dev account JUST for that!

ynnoj    23

;)

CPressland    176

Hmm? I'm running iTunes 10.5 and it's running as a 'Intel' not a 'Intel (64 bit)'

;)

Haha, I've already checked out the usual areas... :p

Elliott    235

Are push notifications coming to the iOS App Store too?

Really psyched for iOS 5.

Also, does anybody have a link to the wallpaper that featured on the Macs during the Lion demos?

Push notifications have been in iOS. :p When they meant push notifications for the Mac App Store, they literally meant that your Mac app will be able to receive push notifications while not running at all (not even some sort of background daemon).

Still 32-bit here and the UI still seems "Carbon-y" to me. Definitely got a speed boost though.

CPressland    176

Still 32-bit here and the UI still seems "Carbon-y" to me. Definitely got a speed boost though.

Placebo Effect?

.Neo    1,834

I don't see anything that indicates that iTunes 10.5 has been rewritten in Cocoa.

CPressland    176

I don't see anything that indicates that iTunes 10.5 has been rewritten in Cocoa.

I don't see anything that indicates that iTunes will EVER be rewritten in Cocoa. Damn you Carbon!

metal_dragen    30

I have a prediction. The Next iPad and iPhone will have IR so you can use them as an advanced remotes. They will then spin it to make it sound like they are the first ones to ever put IR in a device.

Why? That's moving backwards. I can already control my PCs from my iPhone and iPad over Wi-Fi and newer TVs are including Ethernet ports (and even Wi-Fi). Samsung has already demonstrated (and maybe even shipped by now) TVs that can use Wi-Fi remotes. IR is moving backwards because of the setup, the range and the fact that it has to be line of sight - even RF is backwards at this point considering the ubiquity of Wi-Fi.

.Neo    1,834

How do you get the standard disk image from DP4? I'm looking in /SharedSupport/ and all I'm see is InstallESD.dmg.

Because that's all you need...

DeadEndAccount    508

Meh, I wouldn't worry - just wait a month or so and get the final version.

Oh, btw, I have heard that inside the Lion.app that is downloaded from the AppStore, you can look inside it and apparent there is a DMG which you can write to a DVD/CD - it would be interesting to see whether someone can confirm that.

giga    45

It's 64-bit in Lion.

Southern Patriot    937

Because that's all you need...

Exactly. I posted the link to the tutorial yesterday that showed exactly that, but it seems that people didn't bother to actually look at it.

Oh, btw, I have heard that inside the Lion.app that is downloaded from the AppStore, you can look inside it and apparent there is a DMG which you can write to a DVD/CD - it would be interesting to see whether someone can confirm that.

It's been confirmed for months now, and I posted the link to the tutorial yesterday. Here it is again for those that missed it, or are too lazy to search Google for "lion disc image" where it is the first result: http://holgr.com/blog/2011/02/creating-a-bootable-os-x-10-7-lion-disc/

ynnoj    23

Push notifications have been in iOS. :p When they meant push notifications for the Mac App Store, they literally meant that your Mac app will be able to receive push notifications while not running at all (not even some sort of background daemon).

Ah, I misinterpreted what they meant. Assumed it meant you'd be notified of updates to installed apps rather than having to check manually.

CPressland    176

Meh, I wouldn't worry - just wait a month or so and get the final version.

Ya, I've just heard a lot of people chatting about how stable and polished it is compared to DP1 (only one I've tested) and kinda wanna give it a test.

Alas, you guys are right, I'll leave it for now and just do a CLEAN install when it's out. Buy it from App Store, burn InstallESD.dmg to DVD-DL, clean install, restore TM, Job Done.

Speaking of actually, if Apple are not offering Optical Media anymore, how does one repair a filesystem without Single User Mode? Win7 Recovery Partition Style? Advanced use of EFI Partition?

Elliott    235

Speaking of actually, if Apple are not offering Optical Media anymore, how does one repair a filesystem without Single User Mode? Win7 Recovery Partition Style? Advanced use of EFI Partition?

Like you said, Recovery Partition: http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#internetrestore

DeadEndAccount    508
It's been confirmed for months now, and I posted the link to the tutorial yesterday. Here it is again for those that missed it, or are too lazy to search Google for "lion disc image" where it is the first result: http://holgr.com/blog/2011/02/creating-a-bootable-os-x-10-7-lion-disc/

OMG, thank you very much for that, I've book marked it and saved it for further reference.

*MrNomNoms gives roadwarrior a thousand kisses and a giant hug in appreciation* :D

Ya, I've just heard a lot of people chatting about how stable and polished it is compared to DP1 (only one I've tested) and kinda wanna give it a test.

Alas, you guys are right, I'll leave it for now and just do a CLEAN install when it's out. Buy it from App Store, burn InstallESD.dmg to DVD-DL, clean install, restore TM, Job Done.

You use the recovery partition or you just simply boot off the installation disk, exit the installer which takes you back to the recovery tools which will allow you to run 'Disk Utility' and checked the disk you wish to check.

.Neo    1,834

I can't figure out how to remove applications from Launchpad only. Don't tell me this still isn't possible?

It's 64-bit in Lion.

Hm, interesting.

Elliott    235

FYI guys, if you're planning on installing DP4 on a main machine, just a small note in the DP4 seed note: "You will not be able to upgrade from the Lion Developer Preview 4 to the final Lion release."

Since I know a lot of us are planning clean installs, this isn't really an issue, but I thought I'd point it out.

revanmj    23

If someone would like to see iTunes 10.5 on Lion here is the screenshot:

Zrzut%20ekranu%202011-06-7%20o%2014.50.51.png

And here is a prove that it's running 64-bit:

Zrzut%20ekranu%202011-06-7%20o%2015.32.43.png

I guess it's still not written in Cocoa entirely because song list doesn't "jump" when you get to its end like in Task Manager.

DeadEndAccount    508
FYI guys, if you're planning on installing DP4 on a main machine, just a small note in the DP4 seed note: "You will not be able to upgrade from the Lion Developer Preview 4 to the final Lion release."

Since I know a lot of us are planning clean installs, this isn't really an issue, but I thought I'd point it out.

Are you in the process of installing it? if you can give us the low down when compared to prior preview builds it would be much appreciated - in particular how is OpenGL right now in terms of completeness? does the seed notes anything regards to parts not yet complete?

Btw, any rumours as to when in July they're looking at launching it?

ynnoj    23

I've installed iOS 5 and during a sync with iTunes you're still able to access and use the device. Hurrah!