[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

Does anyone notice a real difference in performance when it comes to Safari 5.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard? I don't notice a thing.

I've installed iOS 5 and during a sync with iTunes you're still able to access and use the device. Hurrah!

That's great! I can't tell you how badly it annoys me that my iPad locks me out when syncing with iTunes.

That's great! I can't tell you how badly it annoys me that my iPad locks me out when syncing with iTunes.

Yeah, it's something that has bugged me for a long time. I'm guessing the Wi-Fi sync capabilities brought on the change.

Does anyone notice a real difference in performance when it comes to Safari 5.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard? I don't notice a thing.

Same here, I guess that hardware acceleration in Safari is reserved for Lion.

Same here, I guess that hardware acceleration in Safari is reserved for Lion.

Last time I ran the Developer Preview I gave Safari a good test run using the Internet Explorer 9 tests (from the IE9 test website) and everything ran very smoothly - the fish bowl was very fast for starters :D

Last time I ran the Developer Preview I gave Safari a good test run using the Internet Explorer 9 tests (from the IE9 test website) and everything ran very smoothly - the fish bowl was very fast for starters :D

Yes, but in Lion DP. We are talking about Safari 5.1 DP for Snow Leopard which doesn't include hardware acceleration.

Fish bowl wasn't so fast for me, but I'm assuming that's just because my MBP's GPU is crap (and probably isn't supported by 5.1's canvas acceleration). :p

I am confused, when they mentioned about push notifications on Lion do they mean notifications like on the iOS?

They mean that the apps developers will be able to push out notifications to you (even if the app isnt running).

It doesn't mean the notifications would look like iOS notifications (new or old), that has nothing to do with push notifications.

The push notification is the info itself, for twitter it might be that someone has mentioned you and so on.

One thing I haven't seen anyone here mentioning is the change in the licensing for OS X. That $29.99 gets you Lion on ALL of your Macs, not just one. So, it is really more like the family pack now. Yes, I know, there never was any real restriction on how many times you could install it anyway, but it is nice that they made that "official".

They explained it was because Lion is sold within the App Store, and thus subject to App Store rules, which is that everything there is "buy once, download forever."

Managed to get a copy of Mac OS X Lion DP4 so I'm going to check it out shortly. I'm mainly worried about how Spaces in DP1 was handled with Mission Control, it wasn't anywhere near as Fluid as SL. Will be installing to External HDD this time, slow boot but I get to keep my main OS until Judgement Day :).

Managed to get a copy of Mac OS X Lion DP4 so I'm going to check it out shortly. I'm mainly worried about how Spaces in DP1 was handled with Mission Control, it wasn't anywhere near as Fluid as SL. Will be installing to External HDD this time, slow boot but I get to keep my main OS until Judgement Day :).

I've found Mission Control much better in DP4. They even added Dock-like magnification when you mouseover each Desktop (which they are going with over Spaces.) They also seem to, by default, keep your Desktops + fullscreen applications organized by activity, similar to the CMD+Tab app switcher. (However, your Dashboard is permanently on the far left.)

I would agree it's not as "fluid" as Expose + Spaces were in SL, but it's still far better in DP4, and they can continue to improve it for another month. The only thing I don't like is not being able to rename "Desktop X."

The only thing I don't like is not being able to rename "Desktop X."

Yeah I found that annoying too, but HyperSpaces on SL solves that so hopefully they'll add Lion Support soon.

May have to start using Safari until Chrome adds Full Screen Support.

Did Apple got rid of drag lock for the Magic Trackpad in Mac OS X Lion DP4?! I can't seem to drag things around anymore with a tap just like I'm used to in Mac OS X Snow Leopard. :|

They mean that the apps developers will be able to push out notifications to you (even if the app isnt running).

It doesn't mean the notifications would look like iOS notifications (new or old), that has nothing to do with push notifications.

The push notification is the info itself, for twitter it might be that someone has mentioned you and so on.

Thanks for clearing that up. So even though apple mentioned it there arent any apps to demo push notifications still right? If its like iOS style like as you said a mention on twitter or a facebook message etc. it would be pretty useful.

Thanks for clearing that up. So even though apple mentioned it there arent any apps to demo push notifications still right? If its like iOS style like as you said a mention on twitter or a facebook message etc. it would be pretty useful.

Developers only learned about it yesterday, so no, no examples yet. :p

Hmm, this keynote still isn't on the AppleKeynotes podcast. Hopefully it shows up soon.

It's there on my iPhones. It's the #1 podcast right now.

It's there on my iPhones. It's the #1 podcast right now.

EDIT: Oh wait, it just now updated for me. Now it's downloading.

Developers only learned about it yesterday, so no, no examples yet. :p

I meant if they could demonstrate it at the keynote it would have been great. I mean apple. It would great if they could unify the notification system on iOS and the Mac. And if they can bring imessaging to the Mac as well.

Yeah it's a shame iMessage isn't part of Mac OS X Lion. I also don't have a single clue as to why iChat and FaceTime have to be separate applications.

Yeah it's a shame iMessage isn't part of Mac OS X Lion. I also don't have a single clue as to why iChat and FaceTime have to be separate applications.

that i agree with

I don't think words can express how extremely ****ed off I am about what Apple did to Expos?. I mean if you have multiple windows open of a single application Mission Control becomes completely and utterly pointless. To find the window you're looking for you have to select one and press space. No more quick overview of all open windows: It's gone. How the hell could they have gone forward with this? Just can't wrap my head around it.

Sorry for the rant, but I really expected Apple to address this issue which exists since DP1.

Also, not a single clue how to remove applications from Launchpad without deleting them from the system.

post-128385-0-12425500-1307484407.jpg

The per-application Expose still seems to work the same way as before. But I would agree that Mission Control does seem to have overcomplicated Expose. It's like they really wanted you to be using Dashboard, despite the fact Apple hasn't updated their own widgets in a half decade.