BREAKING NEWS: Amy Winehouse found dead in London flat

Such a shame, very obviously an incredibly talented girl.

I know all to well about the pulling power of drugs, especially when elarge amounts of money are available.

People who are giving it the "its her own fault" clearly are small minded. I understand the drugs can be turned down but everyone is different, everyone has different circumstances in life. Please remember this.

Trust me, you can't just decide one day youre not taking heroin and just stop. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Being a drug addict is an inless.

It took me 2 years of absolute horror and daily torture until i could finally call myself "clean" and I consider myself to be very strong willed.

RIP Amy.

She has given us some truly great music.

Prediction: next one: Pete Doherty

I gotta say, the fact Doherty has outlived her, has surprised me - I thought he'd be gone sooner.

Which isn't to say this isn't a sad development - 'cause Christ almighty was she talented. Sadly, however, despite her obvious demons, it seems to have been self-inflicted.

I'd also like to give a 'Thumbs up' to the BBC, for continuing to cover the Norway terrorist atrocity, and the 90+ souls who did nothing wrong, yet were killed, as opposed to devoting oodles of air time to, ultimately, a junkie.

It's sad, but certainly is not unexpected and is only her fault (I know you can say addiction is an illness but at the end of the day she could have said no to drugs at the start, or at least followed through on getting help with it, rather than singing about NOT getting help).

Trust me, you can't just decide one day youre not taking heroin and just stop. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Being a drug addict is an inless.

She did have the power to decide not to use them to begin with. No pity from me. None. At all. You make your bed, you sleep in it.

Cancer and Diabetes are completely different then a drug addiction. I don't see how you can relate the two.. you don't choose to have those DISEASES.

IMO saying "a drug addiction is a disease" is a complete cop out. Everyone can say no. Its a choice. "Want drugs?" "No." Simple. Just as all of our parents taught us back when we were children.

RIP.

You are extremely clueless about how addiction, physical and mental health all work together. You and your ilk are so quick to put down and judge someone because of issues they have with substance abuse yet you have no clue the circumstances these people are dealing with that may have drove them to self medicate to find relief they are not getting else where. No addict starts using any drug whether alcohol, prescription or street drugs with the intention of getting addicted. Most addicts have mental, emotional or physical conditions that lead to drug abuse. Because substance abuse is clearly tied to other health issues, it is no more a person's fault than getting diabetes, heart disease or cancer.

It is amazing how many of you lack compassion towards others.

Edit: RIP Amy Winehouse. Too bad you had to join the 27 club along with Cass, Hendrix, Morrison and Cobain.

you can't just decide one day youre not taking heroin and just stop.

You can, however, just decide one day that you are taking it. Its pretty simple.

Prediction: next one: Pete Doherty

I doubt, Pete Doherty was sentenced 6 months in jail where he will be required to pass a drug test, so there's a little chance that he will die from drug overdose in the next 6 months at least.

You are extremely clueless about how addiction, physical and mental health all work together. You and your ilk are so quick to put down and judge someone because of issues they have with substance abuse yet you have no clue the circumstances these people are dealing with that may have drove them to self medicate to find relief they are not getting else where. No addict starts using any drug whether alcohol, prescription or street drugs with the intention of getting addicted. Most addicts have mental, emotional or physical conditions that lead to drug abuse. Because substance abuse is clearly tied to other health issues, it is no more a person's fault than getting diabetes, heart disease or cancer.

Edit: RIP Amy Winehouse. Too bad you had to join the 27 club along with Cass, Hendrix, Morrison and Cobain.

It's still an invalid comparison. In every case of addiction to a substance you have an initial choice to either use it or not use it. Contributing factors are all well and good but in life we make our own choices and live, or die, by them. It's like saying it isn't the gunman's fault for shooting someone because carrying a gun is legal and because someone annoyed them - the circumstances all came together to produce the result but there's definitely attributable blame.

Source: BBC News, DigitalSpy

I am not surprised at all. It's been a long time coming. Her heavy drug and alcohol use was taking a toll on her. That girl had some serious issues. Such a shame. She was talented and young. I hope Lindsey Lohan learns from that before it's too late for her as well.

Utter bull**** - you choose to use drugs, alcohol etc. You don't choose to have diabetes, cancer etc. Other health issues DO NOT make you use drugs or alcohol.

And as to whether she should be included in the 27 club with Cobain, Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin is a matter of personal opinion. For me, I haven't listened to much of her music(and have no intention of doing so), so won't comment on it, apart from saying that she did have a good voice.

When something like this happens, the issue of how much sympathy a substance addict should receive, always seems to come to the front.

Here's how I look at it. Take two people:

A cancer patient.

A Smackhead.

Both need the same treatment. There's only enough money to treat one.

Get 1000 people, and ask them who should be treated.

Utter bull**** - you choose to use drugs, alcohol etc. You don't choose to have diabetes, cancer etc. Other health issues DO NOT make you use drugs or alcohol.

And as to whether she should be included in the 27 club with Cobain, Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin is a matter of personal opinion. For me, I haven't listened to much of her music(and have no intention of doing so), so won't comment on it, apart from saying that she did have a good voice.

You sure do choose diabetes if you eat a lot of sugar, and you sure do choose cancer if you smoke a lot.

You sure do choose diabetes if you eat a lot of sugar, and you sure do choose cancer if you smoke a lot.

Those aren't *the only* causes of those diseases. The only person to blame for alcoholism and drug abuse is the person who chose to take that first drink/shot/pill/toke/etc.

I doubt, Pete Doherty was sentenced 6 months in jail where he will be required to pass a drug test, so there's a little chance that he will die from drug overdose in the next 6 months at least.

how about charlie sheen?

You are extremely clueless about how paedophilia, physical and mental health all work together. You and your ilk are so quick to put down and judge someone because of issues they have with sexual abuse yet you have no clue the circumstances these people are dealing with that may have drove them to self medicate to find relief they are not getting else where. No paedophile starts abusing any child whether teen, tween or toddler with the intention of getting addicted. Most paedophiles have mental, emotional or physical conditions that lead to child abuse. Because child abuse is clearly tied to other health issues, it is no more a person's fault than getting diabetes, heart disease or cancer.

Just saying... We are all ultimately responsible for our own actions. Otherwise we could have claims such as: 'a chemical imbalance and poor childhood forced my hand when I murdered my wife'; or 'because of my uncontrollable raging boner and over exposure to sexual imagery in society I had no choice but to rape the first woman to cross my path'.

On topic:

She may have had it coming after doing such a horrible thing as linked above. Honestly, when I listen to that it's like there's a balloon fetish meet-and-greet taking place in my head, and while the fetishists are rubbing their balloons into a glass shattering squeal Amy Winehouse is singing over them with a jazz standard.

how about charlie sheen?

I've worried about Charlie but celebs have this 'curse' if you will of being able to abuse stuff and then pay to shut everyone else out that might have helped them.

It's still an invalid comparison. In every case of addiction to a substance you have an initial choice to either use it or not use it. Contributing factors are all well and good but in life we make our own choices and live, or die, by them. It's like saying it isn't the gunman's fault for shooting someone because carrying a gun is legal and because someone annoyed them - the circumstances all came together to produce the result but there's definitely attributable blame.

It is a valid comparison.

Cancer and diabetes were specifically mentioned and life choices most certainly do affect if one gets one of these diseases in most cases. There are many factors that contribute to choices people make that may not necessarily be by choice. A person may eat a poor diet not because they prefer it but because whole food is expensive and their budget only allows for cheap processed foods. A person may be more prone to cancer due to exposure to chemicals on the job or second hand smoke. These people may have no other choice but to continue unhealthy exposure because of economic reasons.

The same thing is true if someone has a undiagnosed mental illness and they self medicate to find relief because they have no insurance to get the help or medication they need. Things are not always simple and the world is not always black and white.

Actually people choose to get cancer and diabetes by their lifestyle. And yes other health issues can actually drive a person to drink or use drugs. My mom went to detox over opiate base pain meds she was prescribed due to legitimate pain she had. She took the drugs by prescription to help with chronic pain and got addicted. The pain led to addiction, end of story.