BREAKING NEWS: Amy Winehouse found dead in London flat

You are extremely clueless about how addiction, physical and mental health all work together. You and your ilk are so quick to put down and judge someone because of issues they have with substance abuse yet you have no clue the circumstances these people are dealing with that may have drove them to self medicate to find relief they are not getting else where. No addict starts using any drug whether alcohol, prescription or street drugs with the intention of getting addicted. Most addicts have mental, emotional or physical conditions that lead to drug abuse. Because substance abuse is clearly tied to other health issues, it is no more a person's fault than getting diabetes, heart disease or cancer.

It is amazing how many of you lack compassion towards others.

Edit: RIP Amy Winehouse. Too bad you had to join the 27 club along with Cass, Hendrix, Morrison and Cobain.

Maybe it hits a little too close to home for you to see it objectively. Obesity, alcohol abuse, drugs, etc., are all addictions not diseases. Most obese people make the choice to be fat asses. Alcoholics and drug addicts make their choices to use them either in the first place or to continue doing so. To put addictions on the same level as disease is a huge disrespect for those who have no choice in having cancer, or any of the other unavoidable and even worse tragic illnesses. Personal responsibility can save your life.

Just saying... We are all ultimately responsible for our own actions. Otherwise we could have claims such as: 'a chemical imbalance and poor childhood forced my hand when I murdered my wife'; or 'because of my uncontrollable raging boner and over exposure to sexual imagery in society I had no choice but to rape the first woman to cross my path'.

snip

She may have had it coming after doing such a horrible thing as linked above. Honestly, when I listen to that it's like there's a balloon fetish meet-and-greet taking place in my head, and while the fetishists are rubbing their balloons into a glass shattering squeal Amy Winehouse is singing over them with a jazz standard.

I never said a person is not responsible for their choices. I said as in other diseases that there are other underlying factors contributing to becoming a victim of that disease.

Maybe it hits a little too close to home for you to see it objectively. Obesity, alcohol abuse, drugs, etc., are all addictions not diseases. Most obese people make the choice to be fat asses. Alcoholics and drug addicts make their choices to use them either in the first place or to continue doing so. To put addictions on the same level as disease is a huge disrespect for those who have no choice in having cancer, or any of the other unavoidable and even worse tragic illnesses. Personal responsibility can save your life.

Here here brother. I hate when people try to pin achohol on genetics or a disease. It is something you either do, or dont do. There is NO in between. Blame it on whatever you like, but the user always has a choice. Cancer victims do not.

RIP Amy. Incredible talent lost too soon....

Prayers go out to her close family and friends.

even though she was the "crackie of camden" I had a soft spot for her.... LOLz.

That's sad.

I did listen to some of her tracks a couple years ago and I like them...

hope she finds peace.

Actually people choose to get cancer and diabetes by their lifestyle. And yes other health issues can actually drive a person to drink or use drugs. My mom went to detox over opiate base pain meds she was prescribed due to legitimate pain she had. She took the drugs by prescription to help with chronic pain and got addicted. The pain led to addiction, end of story.

Maybe you should be a bit more specific. Some cancers may be caused by choices people make ie, cigarettes. And diabetes can be caused by dietary choices some people make. However, most cases of these two diseases are not chosen. It seems you have no idea what disease actually is. There is Alzheimer's, Breast cancer, Brain cancer, Leukemia, Bipolar disorder, and whatever it's called when someone has chronic seizures. What you are doing by lumping drug addiction with these diseases is a disgrace.

Your mother got addicted to pain meds? That's a sad story, but everyone knows the risks of taking pain medication. You can choose to not take ones known to cause an addition or you can choose to not take them at all. It is possible and people do it all the time.

What can you say? A celebrity that still faces the same daemons the rest of us do.

As advanced in technology and knowledge that we are, we are all still alone and scared. We aren't meant to admit that tho as it goes against the life rules that the people in power have worked so hard to keep in place.

A celebrity is nothing more than someone we choose to put ahead of our moral judgement, when they die surely it has to say something about the stupid mind games we are all subjected to.

I can only get surprised by reading most ignorant posts that I totally forgot what I was going to say about the original title.

R.I.P to Amy, great singer, wasted talent.

Now, first of all, its amazing how most people think you get diabetes from eating lots of sugar, this is a very very false assumption, do some reading. Books or internet, both can help you clearing out. It's an autoimmune desease, lot's of sugar does not trigger diabetes of any kind. It is however a factor of control after diabetes is detected.

After, substance abuse is a medical disease just like any other. It's not only a matter of choice, it's a matter of underlying causes that drive a person toward sad choices. Anyone who abuses substances don't do it knowing or wanting to get addicted. After this, (i won't explain the psych, emotional, or any underlying problems driving people into substance abuse, I can only try to explain that substance abuse can even have a genetic unfluence, gene code missinformation, central nervous system anomalies like depressions, chemistry imbalance, etc... there are LOTS of aspects that can drive people falling into it, let's just HOPE you won't be one of them, and one day, you will understand all of this. Show more compassion, besides, someone asked about who would invest money saving a cancer patiente / drug addict? It depends, if its terminal, my money is on the drug addict, because there are treaments that can save lifes. Unfortunatly, there ain't much for the cancer patiente.

Amy did had a choice, even for opiates methadone has been proven to be a lifesaver even though it remains as addiction, but allows the person to cope with normal daily experiences.

Show more compassion and humility, for everyone. Don't judge, you never know what can happen to you or the person next to you.

what a shame, so young. generally liked her and hoped she would get her life in order, there seemed to be a decent person under all the showmanship and drama, and now it's too late for that. i hope her family and friends can continue, and i hope she rests in peace. a loss for sure.

Actually people choose to get cancer and diabetes by their lifestyle. And yes other health issues can actually drive a person to drink or use drugs. My mom went to detox over opiate base pain meds she was prescribed due to legitimate pain she had. She took the drugs by prescription to help with chronic pain and got addicted. The pain led to addiction, end of story.

My grandad died of prostate cancer 6 years ago, he didn't choose to contract a terminal illness.

Sad for her family, but this is about as surprising as the sun coming up. Maybe now her very troubled soul can rest.

:(

Actually people choose to get cancer and diabetes by their lifestyle..

Could you at least try and not sound clueless?

Speaking as a diabetic; there is a huge genetic component as well as the likelihood that infections have a role by starting a self-destructive autoimmune response. Cancer is as also largely genetic with both infectious, environmental and other factors.

Yes, diet can also have a role, but both diseases are far more complex issues than you apparently think.

indeed, let's hope there's peace for her now. she gave many people joy with her talent and she did contribute to the collective culture. she will be remembered.

People do suffer from addictive personalties. For the majority alcohol, drugs etc., it is a choice but for some people it's not, they do suffer because something is wrong with them. For example my father knew someone who's Dad was an alcoholic and his son didn't drink because of it for many years, but during his wedding he just had one class of champagne to celebrate and he turned into an alcoholic, divorced, and is now dead.

It's a good thing people on Neowin are so informed about what an addiction is and what it isn't... nope, couldn't type that with a straight face. Some of the comments in this thread are disgusting.

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse... an immense talent with an immense problem that was never rectified. It's a shame she didn't recover from her addictions.

People do suffer from addictive personalties. For the majority alcohol, drugs etc., it is a choice but for some people it's not, they do suffer because something is wrong with them. For example my father knew someone who's Dad was an alcoholic and his son didn't drink because of it for many years, but during his wedding he just had one class of champagne to celebrate and he turned into an alcoholic, divorced, and is now dead.

Life sucks sometimes. Some people have to work harder at it than others. For those that do and overcome, the rewards are great.

Anyone that chooses to abuse drugs and alcohol doesn't deserve sympathy.

People don't choose to be addicted. I think you need to do some more research on addictions before you start spewing your nonsense.

People don't choose to be addicted. I think you need to do some more research on addictions before you start spewing your nonsense.

very sad to hear what happen. Um I disagree with what you said yes drugs and etc are addicted and depends on etc situations but people do have a choice they can stop and help them selfs but it depends if they have people helping them meaning support and if they really want to stop and help themselves.