Miami police shoot, kill man carrying a toy gun

A kid doesn't automatically make them a non-threat...

Ya, thanks for telling me this, we have criminals here that make yours look like a kindergarten dust up! I am still pretty sure that they (The Police) would act differently, but then again I don't live in the States so I am not as au fait as you are!

Sounds to me like the victim's sister is a ****ing idiot. If the police shot the man, then it is highly likely that he did something stupid with that "toy gun" that prompted the officers to believe that he was a threat (such as pointing it at the officers when they confronted him). And depending on what type of gun we are talking about here, it is very possible that it looked real.

You ever lost someone you care about? You don't always think clearly and logically when grief is at the forefront of your mind... give her a break.

I'm sorry, but killing someone is never an appropriate response. The appropriate response is to get the situation under control and resolve it and if there is criminal activity then the courts will uphold the law.

Now if the cops were shot at, then return fire. Simple as that.

That's hilarious...get the situation under control and resolve it. The guy has a freakin' gun!!! You have less than a split second to determine if it is real while the guy turns and points it at you.

And wait until fired upon? Would you be willing to let someone try to shoot you in the head before you were allowed to react? How many times do you think that logic would work before your brain matter ends up on the sidewalk?

And wait until fired upon? Would you be willing to let someone try to shoot you in the head before you were allowed to react? How many times do you think that logic would work before your brain matter ends up on the sidewalk?

It works over here - what's also amazing is that apparently our police force is vastly better than the US one, because the cops here can actually shoot people in the leg and disable them.

Think about that, my goodness - what an amazing and thought provoking thing to do, defuse the situation, "save" a life and still protect yourself. I guess this is beyond the abilities of the US police force.

It works over here - what's also amazing is that apparently our police force is vastly better than the US one, because the cops here can actually shoot people in the leg and disable them.

Think about that, my goodness - what an amazing and thought provoking thing to do, defuse the situation, "save" a life and still protect yourself. I guess this is beyond the abilities of the US police force.

shoot me in the leg. I can still shoot you in the head.

shoot me in the leg. I can still shoot you in the head.

Correct. The first thing taught in the required classes for a Michigan concealed weapons permit is shoot to kill, not wound - and that class was taught by a high ranking police officer. Take the optional advanced combat shooting class and it's repeated like a mantra.

So why wasn't the sister (or other family member) taking care of this mentally disabled man instead of letting him wander the streets?

Too busy working themselves to the bone to pay for his medication / keep a roof over his head more than likely. People can't look after someone 24/7 in this day and age.

You ever lost someone you care about? You don't always think clearly and logically when grief is at the forefront of your mind... give her a break.

Yes, I have, several people in fact. And no, I will not give this idiotic woman a break. She outright accused these cops of cold blooded murder when more than likely they were justified in shooting this man. If she wasn't thinking clearly then she shouldn't be talking to the press making accusations like that. She might just find herself on the wrong end of a defamation lawsuit.

Correct. The first thing taught in the required classes for a Michigan concealed weapons permit is shoot to kill, not wound - and that class was taught by a high ranking police officer. Take the optional advanced combat shooting class and it's repeated like a mantra.

Same thing in the military. I worked with the base police when I was in Yokosuka while in the Navy. I was just in a volunteer auxiliary, so we only got called out for big events when they needed extra personnel, but we still had to be fully trained in pistol, rifle, and shotguns.

Too busy working themselves to the bone to pay for his medication / keep a roof over his head more than likely. People can't look after someone 24/7 in this day and age.

Gee, that's funny, my mother and my aunts take care of my grandfather just fine. He stays with each of them for a month at a time.

sad story. horrible responses.

cops should not shoot to kill. no mater the circumstance. the last thing you want is to take someones life. being a real gun on not is see this as the polices fault. hope the family sues.

@62 .. both of those are fake air soft guns.

Yes, I have, several people in fact. And no, I will not give this idiotic woman a break. She outright accused these cops of cold blooded murder when more than likely they were justified in shooting this man. If she wasn't thinking clearly then she shouldn't be talking to the press making accusations like that. She might just find herself on the wrong end of a defamation lawsuit.

Er hellooooo? She's clearly grief stricken and mourning the loss of her brother. The press shouldn't be talking to her, not the other way around.

You can't blame the family for wanting to blame someone for the death of the victim.

Even if all the evidence suggests it was the victim's fault, the family will probably still blame the police at the height of their grief.. nothing wrong with that. It's expected. That's not to say everybody behaves that way, but a lot of people do.

It's not a time when you're completely logical and you should know that from experience.

The story has been updated with some more information:

Officers gave commands for the man to drop the weapon, but he refused and pointed it at an officer, Carney said.

The were justified in shooting him. You point a gun at an officer and refuse to put it down when told to, you just signed your own death warrant. End of story. Oh, and he was autistic, so we can only guess at what his actual level of understanding was.

cops should not shoot to kill. no mater the circumstance. the last thing you want is to take someones life. being a real gun on not is see this as the polices fault. hope the family sues.

It's too risky not to shoot to kill.

aren't all fake guns have orange front body attached to them? i guess not...

think of how easy it is to paint over, or even scribble over with a sharpie...

think of how easy it is to paint over, or even scribble over with a sharpie...

I posted a couple of pages back the kinds that are, aren't and why it doesn't matter: crooks often paint the red black to have a cheap bluff gun, and paint the front of a real gun red to spoof authorities that it's a toy.

Bottom line: the red tip means NOTHING.