HP wants their 17'' LCDs back

i gave my sublet phone number, and i'm back in the dorms, which means the tenants living there now may have gotten calls. :ninja:

no emails, though. looks like most of us are safe. :)

any news on this?

I have similar experience with Everglide (the mouse pad company).

After I got my product, I was told they made a mistake on the shipping charges and wanted to charge me extra.

The amount I was charged was already quite hefty and they had the guts to want to charge me more.

I basically told this company to fxxk off and I confirmed with my credit card company that they cannot do this.

thanks for the news, but, what? hp is so two-faced. in the light of the press, they're apologetic and ethical, but to its consumers, they haggle, they act rudely and impulsively, and are on the whole unreasonable. grr, these companies.

Nice. See, think about it folks---our thread here on Neowin, spread to The Inquirer, and now onto HardwareGeeks. We were the likely cause of HP deciding to honor those prices!!

Hooray for Neowin and all of us!!!!!!

This basically means that those who have recieved the Monitor will get an apology in the mail. And there will be no need to return the monitor.

I'll be watching my mail for this. :)

Just got another email from HP. They have seen the error of their ways. They will honor the reduced price for those who received them. Good for them and us.

Thank you for the recent purchase of your FLAT PANEL MONITOR L1702 for $199.00 from HP.com.  We recently discovered that your monitor was offered at a reduced purchase price in error, and subsequently, you may have received a request to either return the monitor or pay the difference. Please disregard the previous communication and accept our sincere regret for any inconvenience this may have caused. HP values the relationships we have with our customers, and as such, we will honor the reduced price.  We appreciate your business, and hope you will consider HP again for your future technology purchases.  If you have any questions or comments, please contact 1-800-888-0292.

Deborah Goodlette

HP SMB Billing

--

EHANSON

It isn't a Neowin exclusive, but dougkinzinger alerted the Inquirer, I have never received any e-mail from HP about the pricing error. I don't think the Inquirer had major impact on HP. Either ways legally HP couldn't get us to send our monitors back or charge us extra.

Didn't Best Buy try and pull the same stunt.

Just to recycle people's memories: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/24/1818210 . I wasn't involved. I just have a good memory ;)

AFAIC, if the product was shipped and was billed on your credit card, then the product was paid for in full. Its HP's fault they didn't check the price. And its REALLY bad customer service to try and bully people to cough up the extra dollars after they paid for the product and HP shipped it.

Check for details on the Best Buy story as to where the law stands. There should be some helpful tidbits.

Looks like HP wised up and realized they were just gonna get a bunch of bad press if they continued to pursue that course.

And regarding that LCD on Circuit City and the 14ms response time. As far as I know there is no LCD with a response time lower than 16, I know a Planar 17 incher and maybe a Samsung have the 16ms reponse time. I saw this monitor discussed on another forum and it was found that the 14ms is actually the reponse time rise or fall or whatever, and the other is 16ms. So the REAL response time on that monitor is actually 30ms. (combined rise and fall response times)

Just got another email from HP. They have seen the error of their ways. They will honor the reduced price for those who received them. Good for them and us.
Thank you for the recent purchase of your FLAT PANEL MONITOR L1702 for $199.00 from HP.com.? We recently discovered that your monitor was offered at a reduced purchase price in error, and subsequently, you may have received a request to either return the monitor or pay the difference. Please disregard the previous communication and accept our sincere regret for any inconvenience this may have caused. HP values the relationships we have with our customers, and as such, we will honor the reduced price.? We appreciate your business, and hope you will consider HP again for your future technology purchases.? If you have any questions or comments, please contact 1-800-888-0292.

Deborah Goodlette

HP SMB Billing

--

EHANSON

Yup, I got that e-mail as well...though the colors this "Deborah" used for her e-mail style seemed to be Christmas color:huh:uh:

Kind of like selling your friend a basketball card for $100 when it's really worth $150, then crying to him saying "I want the extra $50"

Except HP is not your friend. In fact, HP is noone's friend. HP has no friends. They tried buying a friend named Compaq, but they were so zealous they swallowed him up (no big loss, compaq SUCKED)

BTW guys, I just read all 10 pages of posts and I totally agree that HP is full of crap on this one and I'm right with you :cool: