Eleven years came and went, and subscriptions giveaway!

Lovell

Came from i3xbeta and never left, it's been amazing to see how far Neowin has come, how it's evolved from a windows site to a tech site and then to a community, how it survived the flame wars, and keeps getting better.

PGHammer

I've been so tied up in the upgrade, that could have gone smoother in my opinion, that I completely missed making a post for October 1st which marked eleven years of Neowin!

We started our upgrade on Sunday 25th of September, and the forums were mostly offline for the two days that followed. And after that, as you may know, many basic forum features didn't work properly, it has literally taken us this long up until this week to sort out those issues, and we still have a list of things that need doing (like syncing main page avatars with the forum ones, among others).

Anyway, what has happened in the last year then?

Tom Warren, who had been here almost from the start went off to launch his own website: winrumors.com on the 25th of October last year, and has done really well since. I always knew he'd do well, and I wish him all the best with that venture, he seems to have made a huge impact already, like he did here at Neowin for the nine years previous.

Tim Kimberl (Timan) stepped down from the developer team, at the end of last month after nine years of making Neowin look great, but he did agree to help us with the upgrade and support Pegasus, which he has done, only yesterday he applied a fix for the main page, so I'm really glad he's still available for those things.

It's not all bad though,

We hired John Callaham back in May to write for Neowin full time, and he has managed to double the amount of content for our main page, starting of with an emphasis on gaming, which is the area he comes from, but that has steadily progressed to tech news and even a couple of editorials that have been very good to read.

The feedback from that decision has been mostly positive, so I feel we're moving in the right direction on that front

And last but not least, our staff team.

In all the years of doing Neowin, I have had to deal mostly with volunteer staff, but never has there been a time quite like the last year that I really feel I'm dealing more and more with professionals, so kudos to the whole staff team for that and making my life bearable!

I say this every year, but we wouldn't be where we are today if not for the support of our members and staff, so give yourselves a big pat on the back, you deserve it, and I can only hope the same level of support continues well into the 2010's and beyond.

Now for a giveaway

Ten Tier 2 subscriptions are up for grabs, these are for new members that have registered here on Neowin after October 1st 2011.

To qualify:

• You must have more than ten posts, that are on topic and helpful (by Oct 23rd when the draw is made)
  • You must enter your intent to take part in the draw in this topic

And also another ten Tier 2 subscriptions for current members who joined before October 1st 2011.

There will be a random draw of ten people who replied to this topic with their own memories of their time here, or how you found Neowin for example, everyone can participate, current subscribers (if drawn) will have their subscription upgraded from Tier 1 to Tier 2 and extended for another year, members will get a year Tier 2, which is ad free and adds a "special" forum among other enhancements for your experience here.

The draw will be made on Sunday October 23rd, and winners announced here.

Thanks again everyone, on behalf of the whole team we appreciate it.

I'm far from one of the *oldest heads*, though I have been around since 2003.

The discussions have gotten spirited, have occaisionally gotten out of control - however, Neowin is never NEVER dull! (Not even in the Apple forums.)

Congratulations on eleven wonderful years!

Tjcool007

Just dropping in to congratulate the site Admins for creating and maintaining a giant forum. It's not always easy (I know :p), but you seem to do an excellent job.

As for why I joined myself, hmm, I guess because I'm into IT, and this is a great site for people like me. As you can see it's mostly lurking I do though :|

But anyway, good luck to everyone entering the draw. :)

Soham

Wow guys I would buy a subscription soon because I have been in this for 8 years now.

• Like 1
Pow

I used to go onto a MSNChat site called TG007. They used to be involved in mIRC Scripting and other tech news. I always saw Neowin being quoted as a source in their news posts so I thought, why not go check it out! I lurked for ages until I finally decided to register to do a few posts here and there. I go on neowin pretty much instantly as soon as I open my browser. That's how much I enjoy the forum :p

ericnkatz

I want to win!

Mazhar

I have been with Neowin for 5 years (since 2006). Then it became one of my favorites among tech news websites. I have also made few friends here. I just want to say that Neowin is awesome! Thank you very much.

Geoffrey B.

Found the place long before I signed up, Kept looking up how to repair things and I always every single time ended up on Neowin, So eventually when the gamefaq forum became to much of a childish place for me moved full time to posting and trolling around Neowin. Been here ever since

Draconian Guppy

Congrandz neobond and neowin, I won already (err was probably finger pointed :p ) in a previous giveaway! So just giving thanks. Neowin always has 99.9% of the answers for anything I ask and if not, I get pointed where too. The people here, even teh trolls seem a heck of a lot nicer than anywhere else.

Let's hear it for another 11 years!!!

De.Bug

I heard about Neowin from a friend something like a year ago. I was looking for a good tech news site at the time because I wasn't really interested in most news, only the tech variation. Anyway I read the site for a few days and really like the articles even if they were late (I didn't notice). I signed up then, and for a while I was obsessed with posting in the forums, but now I usually just read articles unless I see something interesting in the real world news section of the forums. I hope you don't disqualify me for winning that Auslogistics Boost Pro contest a few days ago. Anyway I love Neowin and I would love to win the contest.

XionUK

Yeah, count me in - been lurking a long long time! lol

Pygmy_Hippo

I finally got round to setting up a profile in 2003, but had been lurking for a good while before then, so without realising I was probably reading straight from the start! (not that you'd notice it from my post count - probably for the best as I seem to be a bit of thread-killer!)

Found Neowin via links from Warp2Search which used to be my homepage, wasn't long before I realised that I was spending more time here than at Warp, so from that moment on Neowin has been my homepage. Now I feel old :D

Anibal P

I found Neowin when looking for info on Windows XP, lurked a bit, realized the forums where the best place to get help, registered and stayed since.

TheReaperMan

Well, I have been a on neowin for years. I rember years ago when the site was having major issues with hosting and it did look like at the time neowin would fold. I spoke to neobond via chat about it at the time.

But I am glad its still ive and ticking today and getting better all the time. I do miss all the fun from back when longhorn was around as all the leaks and info was great.

MS Bob 10

I came across the Neowin a long time ago but always came here only for news and never bothered to check out the forums. Now I do.

BoneyardBrew

I'm definitely not a veteran here like some others, but in the short time I've been a part of this community I've really enjoyed myself. Neowin is the only forum I visit on a daily basis and I can thank the community for that.

Neowin is definitely a great place to be with tons of people ready to help you at any given moment.

bdsams

I can haz win too?

T1Famous

I was searching for just a tech and gadget website, I came across Neowin and have never looked back!

Lingwo

Amazing to think how long i've been here. I don't see myself not visiting here though.

It is actually compared to some forums a quite sensible community.

I don't post as often as some people, i like to think most of my comments are on topic and interesting though.

Gaffney

I joined Neowin in 2009 and I just looked around the forums for windows resources but then I started joining in with the community and now I'm here.

DKAngel

i joined mainly because of the windows news =] im pretty sure i joined b4 i did but was lost when something crashed, oh back 10+ years ago, i cant rember but have had fun here even if it took me 10 years to get 1000 posts =D

Emil Valsson

I first joined Neowin to read news about various software news and to get help on the forums. Since I joined I havent be active regarding posting but I come here every day to read news and posts.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      Neowin is looking to hire driven and motivated writers
      by Steven Parker

Reach out to the world along with our awesome staff Do you like technology news? Do you want to have your content viewed by millions each month? Can you write coherently and most importantly, do you love the English language? If this all sounds good to you, we are looking to add a few writers from anywhere in the world to our team to cover Microsoft and the world of technology news; but if you reside in Europe or Australia (Asia-Pacific) that is a plus because they are time zones we are short on right now.

If you have a passion for reviewing hardware and writing informative and inspiring news articles, Neowin might be the right place for you.

What are our expectations?

Be active: We require no less than 4 articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This won't replace your full time job, but is an easy way to earn extra cash for a few good nights out or other things. Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. You must be proficient in English and grammar. We understand no-one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page. Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off this site. Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus. We do not assign or require people to write only on specific areas unlike other established news sources. It is worth pointing out that our primary topic of coverage is Microsoft but we know that there are many topics out there that fit within our style. Our writers can write from a variety of different categories.

Here's a general idea of what we cover here at Neowin:

Microsoft Apple Linux Gaming Software Hardware Gadgets Mobile Devices Editorials & Reviews And anything else that's related to technology If you feel you have what it takes to be a part of our awesome team here at Neowin: Send your completed application here. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to reply to you instantly, and we disregard incomplete applications. Please give us at least a week or two to reply.

Thanks, and good luck!

Write for Neowin
    • By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 21: A new look for Windows 10 and new OnePlus phones
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. On episode 21, Rich and João talk about the new icons that Microsoft is working on for Windows 10, the new phones from OnePlus, and an alleged Qualcomm PC chipset could spell trouble for the next generation of Windows on ARM devices.

It's been quite the interesting week for tech news, starting with OnePlus revealing the OnePlus 9 series, including the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The two new phones aren't all that surprising, but they're interesting all the same, both packing 120Hz displays, wireless charging, and a promising camera experience thanks to a partnership with Hasselblad. OnePlus also revealed its first smartwatch, the OnePlus Watch.

Then, Windows fans got some big news with the first major shakeup to the icons in Windows 10's File Explorer we've seen in years. The new icons are more colorful and have João way more excited than he should be. And finally, a leak revealed the benchmark results of an alleged Qualcomm chipset for Windows PCs, and the numbers don't look great. As Rich puts it, Qualcomm may have Osborne'd its next-generation chipset because of its recent acquisition of Nuvia.

If you'd like to catch up on the news discussed in this episode, you can use the links below:

OnePlus announces the OnePlus 9 series with Hasselblad cameras

OnePlus unveils the OnePlus Watch with two weeks of battery life

Windows 10 is getting all-new icons in the File Explorer

Possible Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 shows up on Geekbench

Qualcomm completes $1.4 billion purchase of CPU firm NUVIA

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 21 Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!

• By Steven P.
      We're looking for people to cover Microsoft tech news at Neowin
      by Steven Parker

Trying to keep our readers informed and updated on the constant stream of announcements, leaks, rumors, and insights that pour in from around the world is a non-stop job, including at weekends! With millions of readers worldwide, we know just how important it is to help them stay up to speed with the relentless pace of change and developments in technology.

That’s why we’re continuing to expand our team of news reporters. We’re looking for eager, enthusiastic people to join us part-time (or full time, see below in the Apply section), preferably from native English speaking countries such as the UK, the United States, Canada, and Australia, but we'll consider those in other parts of the world too.

Our requirements
      We would love to hear from applicants with experience in covering technology news, but previous experience isn’t strictly necessary to apply. Enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and a desire to constantly improve and grow professionally – applicants with these traits are just as important to us as those with years of reporting experience.

Many of our reporters over the years have had no previous experience, but that hasn’t stopped them from doing a great job; some very well-known faces in the tech journalism community made their names at Neowin with little or no experience at first. We offered them a strong foundation upon which to build their careers.

Of course, even without reporting experience, we demand that applicants have plenty of knowledge about technology. Our coverage includes Microsoft, Apple, Google, Linux, gaming, software, devices, accessories, and so much more, along with analysis and insights into what’s happening in the tech industry.

We require that applicants be proficient in English, and although it is a preference, it doesn’t mean English has to be your first language. We will accept applications from anyone aged 18 or over, from anywhere in the world that accepts PayPal and Payoneer as a method of receiving payment, and we warmly invite people from all backgrounds to apply.

Neowin has a zero-discrimination hiring policy; whatever your ethnicity, gender identity, or sexuality, and whether you prefer Linux over Windows, or Xbox over PlayStation, what matters most to us is your passion for technology, your drive to do the job and constantly improve, and your ability to impartially report and discuss what’s happening in the tech world.

Be active: We require no less than four articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This probably won't replace your full-time job, but it is a great way to earn some extra cash while gaining valuable experience in reporting with one of the most established brands in tech news. Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. We understand no one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page. Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off the site. Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus. Although we are looking to bolster timely coverage on all things Microsoft, we don't assign or require people to write only on specific areas or even at fixed times of the day unlike some other news sites, so our reporters can write on a variety of different topics whenever they want!

What you'll get from us
      All articles that are published on Neowin start at $5, and that payment rises with the number of unique hits it gathers. Just one article can earn $100 if it reaches a threshold of unique hits, for this it would have to go viral, and articles do achieve this at Neowin often. The fact of the matter is, our payments are based on merit and the hits the articles achieve, so you are rewarded when you do well, but you'll get less for poor performing items.

Apply!
      You can find out more about our requirements, and how to apply, on this page.

We look forward to hearing from you, and if you’ve got what it takes, we hope to be able to welcome you to the Neowin team very soon 😁👍

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 20: Ignite recap, no more 3D in Windows, and new BBK phones
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. This week, we reach a major milestone - episode 20 - and it only took us two years to get there. On this episode, Rich and João recap the highlights of Microsoft's spring Ignite event, some changes to Windows 10, and a couple of new phones from BBK Electronics - the parent company of OPPO and OnePlus.

Yes, last week, Microsoft held the second half of its virtual Ignite event, which was split in two parts for the first time. While it wasn't as packed with news as previous iterations, we still saw some interesting things like Microsoft Mesh, intelligent speakers, and - a favorite of our readers - the general availability of Universal Print. Then, this week, Microsoft removed some 3D-related apps from clean installations of Windows 10 for Windows Insiders, and Edge Legacy got its last update ever. Finally, we got to see OPPO reveal the Find X3 Pro flagship, while OnePlus began hyping up the camera on the OnePlus 9, which is getting revealed in a couple of weeks.

You can catch up on all the news using the links below:

Universal Print is now available for Microsoft 365 customers

Microsoft has a whole bunch of new Teams features, including intelligent speakers

Microsoft Mesh is an Azure-powered platform that aims to revolutionize mixed reality

Panos Panay is pumped for the "next generation of Windows"

Dedge: Microsoft's old Edge browser is no longer supported after today

Windows 10 build 21332 removes 3D Viewer and Paint 3D on clean installs

OPPO unveils the Find X3 Pro - and here are our first impressions

OnePlus confirms Hasselblad partnership, OnePlus 9 coming March 23

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · 20 - Ignite recap, no more 3D in Windows, and OPPO's sleek flagship Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 19: Android, Windows, and iOS betas are here
      by João Carrasqueira

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast! On episode 19, we're talking about beta season - that wonderful time of the year for tech enthusiasts where major beta updates start to be released.

As we get deeper into 2021, we're starting to approach some big new software updates, and because of that, there are previews and betas rolling out that you can try out now. The most notable is likely Android 12, the next big Android update which brings along some UI changes and some potential new features - though some of them are hidden for now. Windows 10 is also getting updated to version 21H1 with some minor changes, and iOS is getting its mid-life update to version 14.5, which finally lets you unlock your phone with a mask on.

If you're interested in learning more about these updates, you can check out our coverage of them in the links below:

Google announces Android 12 How to install the Android 12 developer preview Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 How to start testing Windows 10 version 21H1 iOS 14.5 lets you unlock your phone with a mask on and change your default music player with Siri You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 19 - Beta season is here Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!