Eleven years came and went, and subscriptions giveaway!

Storm

my memories of neowin....

neowipi

yeoo_andy_ni

Count me in. Never got round to purchasing a subscription, may as well try and get one for nothing first..... :)

I don't know about memories, but I did stumble upon Neowin while searching for a decent tech site. I think I was on MSFN and it just wasn't cutting it for me anymore, so found Neowin and am on here at least twice a day since. Took me a while to register though, I was a bit of a lurker until I finally decided to take the plunge!

bmdixon

I'm a longtime lurker. Eventually got round to registering and it's one of my most visited sites now. I might not post that much but i enjoy reading the news/forums. Already subscribed as i enjoy the 'benefits' of the BSP ;)

+jnelsoninjax

I found Neowin through a friend, and I spent most of the time in Jokes and Funny stuff, but I also contribute and receive help in the other areas as well!

Tamatea

I know neowin for a long time ... so long that I don't remember when I came here for the first time. So I tried to look at my user page and discovered that I'm register with a webmail that have now disappear :s

Dale

I found Neowin around the time that creamhackered leaked out 3 degrees, the musical Microsoft ad-on that was a big waste lol. neowin was shut down by Microsoft I think for about 24 hours, I've been lurking this site since forever, I enjoy all of the advice and articles. - and the people.

+theblazingangel
There will be a random draw of ten people who replied to this topic with their own memories of their time here, or how you found Neowin for example

I joined when I discovered AutoPatcher waaaay back in 2004, and I've been here ever since, every day (is that sad :p )

.Markus

Time flies by huh? Been registered to Neowin nearly a third of my life, been really enjoying myself here since day one. I do hope that there will be renewed interest posting in the forums though, it's not as hustling and bustling as it used to be. :)

CrowaX

Found Neowin 10 years ago when betanews was having some site issues. Even though I don't post much, I have visted this site almost every day since I joined.

Hollow.Droid

I've been a lurker here for a good few years, dating back to before the vista leaks (Neowin kept up with these nicely). Created an account around a year ago and I've been posting ever since. Not quite on the rappy level yet but who knows what can happen :p

Shadrack

I intend to take part in this draw. ;)

DanielZ

I found Neowin back when I was still using Windows XP, I think I was trying to mod it to look different, and through Googling I stumbled upon a Neowin thread. Since then, Neowin's pretty much been my day-to-day tech site, along with Engadget. I always enjoy Neowin, and the forum threads can be pretty entertaining at times, especially the humorous ones.

Charisma

I'd love to participate :D I found the place several years ago when I first started getting into Linux--I think a particular search string I entered matched a post in the Linux section here. Since then it's been my favourite go-to place for everything! Real-world news (foreign and domestic), gaming, cars, hardware, software... I finally ended up creating an account and starting to post when a friend encouraged me to, and I'm really glad I did. 'Tis why I subscribed not too long ago--wanted to give back to the site that's given me so much :)

+Audioboxer

Joined after a topic on ieXbeta linked to the Windows XP customization forums over here. Lurked for a while downloading themes made by KoL/sanctified/etc.

ahmz

Hm, I wonder - am I the only one who has Neowin open in a browser tab at all times?

Very much doubt it, it's been 1 of 3 pinned tabs in my Chrome browser ever since the feature existed! ;)

metallithrax

I remember finding this site when I installed DesktopSidebar and Neowin was one of the pre-install rss feeds.

One of the 1st threads I remember reading was "Don't go into the woods" (or something like that). Quite a big thread with loads of spooky photos and quite an interesting storyline.

shakey

Put me into this drawing as well :) Joined a long time ago looking for good computer tech help, and the many other features this site offers just kept me coming back.

The_Observer

was at polytech in 2005, had a friend next to me and he was on your site, it look interesting so i jumped on and starting looking around. enjoyed what i found and stayed around!

kaborka

It's been so long ('03) I don't remember how I first found NW. I do know I was really impressed with the NW style and content, which did and does match my interests perfectly. NW is the 2nd site (after CNN) I check every day. Keep it up!

+Raze

Congratulations on 11 years of great things! I was a lurker for a long time and I always came back for the news and the dynamic forums. I have to get my daily fix (multiple times) of Neowin or I just don't feel right!

• Like 1

SharpGreen

I have no clue anymore how I found neowin. But I am glad I did. 7yrs (and 3 or 4 upgrades later) I'm still here and still enjoy. Best part I think was my short stint posting news.

HPMCommander

Man, I've been here for a long time. Congrats everyone!

Biotoxic_hazard_835

Been here since 2007 and I enjoy it like the first day. I found out Neowin as it was mentioned in other site I used to visit. I came here to get an answer for a networking problem I had and stayed for the great community.

Lexcyn

I cannot believe I have been here since the beginning ... lol reminds me of that WoW achievement "what a long, strange trip it's been."

ponytail

I came here after a search led me to the answer to a problem I was having with my first iMac, I tend to lurk mostly but love coming here and reading the forums.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      Neowin is looking to hire driven and motivated writers
      by Steven Parker

Reach out to the world along with our awesome staff Do you like technology news? Do you want to have your content viewed by millions each month? Can you write coherently and most importantly, do you love the English language? If this all sounds good to you, we are looking to add a few writers from anywhere in the world to our team to cover Microsoft and the world of technology news; but if you reside in Europe or Australia (Asia-Pacific) that is a plus because they are time zones we are short on right now.

If you have a passion for reviewing hardware and writing informative and inspiring news articles, Neowin might be the right place for you.

What are our expectations?

Be active: We require no less than 4 articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This won't replace your full time job, but is an easy way to earn extra cash for a few good nights out or other things. Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. You must be proficient in English and grammar. We understand no-one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page. Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off this site. Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus. We do not assign or require people to write only on specific areas unlike other established news sources. It is worth pointing out that our primary topic of coverage is Microsoft but we know that there are many topics out there that fit within our style. Our writers can write from a variety of different categories.

Here's a general idea of what we cover here at Neowin:

Microsoft Apple Linux Gaming Software Hardware Gadgets Mobile Devices Editorials & Reviews And anything else that's related to technology If you feel you have what it takes to be a part of our awesome team here at Neowin: Send your completed application here. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to reply to you instantly, and we disregard incomplete applications. Please give us at least a week or two to reply.

Thanks, and good luck!

Write for Neowin
    • By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 21: A new look for Windows 10 and new OnePlus phones
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. On episode 21, Rich and João talk about the new icons that Microsoft is working on for Windows 10, the new phones from OnePlus, and an alleged Qualcomm PC chipset could spell trouble for the next generation of Windows on ARM devices.

It's been quite the interesting week for tech news, starting with OnePlus revealing the OnePlus 9 series, including the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The two new phones aren't all that surprising, but they're interesting all the same, both packing 120Hz displays, wireless charging, and a promising camera experience thanks to a partnership with Hasselblad. OnePlus also revealed its first smartwatch, the OnePlus Watch.

Then, Windows fans got some big news with the first major shakeup to the icons in Windows 10's File Explorer we've seen in years. The new icons are more colorful and have João way more excited than he should be. And finally, a leak revealed the benchmark results of an alleged Qualcomm chipset for Windows PCs, and the numbers don't look great. As Rich puts it, Qualcomm may have Osborne'd its next-generation chipset because of its recent acquisition of Nuvia.

If you'd like to catch up on the news discussed in this episode, you can use the links below:

OnePlus announces the OnePlus 9 series with Hasselblad cameras

OnePlus unveils the OnePlus Watch with two weeks of battery life

Windows 10 is getting all-new icons in the File Explorer

Possible Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 shows up on Geekbench

Qualcomm completes $1.4 billion purchase of CPU firm NUVIA

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 21 Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!

• By Steven P.
      We're looking for people to cover Microsoft tech news at Neowin
      by Steven Parker

Trying to keep our readers informed and updated on the constant stream of announcements, leaks, rumors, and insights that pour in from around the world is a non-stop job, including at weekends! With millions of readers worldwide, we know just how important it is to help them stay up to speed with the relentless pace of change and developments in technology.

That’s why we’re continuing to expand our team of news reporters. We’re looking for eager, enthusiastic people to join us part-time (or full time, see below in the Apply section), preferably from native English speaking countries such as the UK, the United States, Canada, and Australia, but we'll consider those in other parts of the world too.

Our requirements
      We would love to hear from applicants with experience in covering technology news, but previous experience isn’t strictly necessary to apply. Enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and a desire to constantly improve and grow professionally – applicants with these traits are just as important to us as those with years of reporting experience.

Many of our reporters over the years have had no previous experience, but that hasn’t stopped them from doing a great job; some very well-known faces in the tech journalism community made their names at Neowin with little or no experience at first. We offered them a strong foundation upon which to build their careers.

Of course, even without reporting experience, we demand that applicants have plenty of knowledge about technology. Our coverage includes Microsoft, Apple, Google, Linux, gaming, software, devices, accessories, and so much more, along with analysis and insights into what’s happening in the tech industry.

We require that applicants be proficient in English, and although it is a preference, it doesn’t mean English has to be your first language. We will accept applications from anyone aged 18 or over, from anywhere in the world that accepts PayPal and Payoneer as a method of receiving payment, and we warmly invite people from all backgrounds to apply.

Neowin has a zero-discrimination hiring policy; whatever your ethnicity, gender identity, or sexuality, and whether you prefer Linux over Windows, or Xbox over PlayStation, what matters most to us is your passion for technology, your drive to do the job and constantly improve, and your ability to impartially report and discuss what’s happening in the tech world.

Be active: We require no less than four articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This probably won't replace your full-time job, but it is a great way to earn some extra cash while gaining valuable experience in reporting with one of the most established brands in tech news. Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. We understand no one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page. Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off the site. Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus. Although we are looking to bolster timely coverage on all things Microsoft, we don't assign or require people to write only on specific areas or even at fixed times of the day unlike some other news sites, so our reporters can write on a variety of different topics whenever they want!

What you'll get from us
      All articles that are published on Neowin start at $5, and that payment rises with the number of unique hits it gathers. Just one article can earn $100 if it reaches a threshold of unique hits, for this it would have to go viral, and articles do achieve this at Neowin often. The fact of the matter is, our payments are based on merit and the hits the articles achieve, so you are rewarded when you do well, but you'll get less for poor performing items.

Apply!
      You can find out more about our requirements, and how to apply, on this page.

We look forward to hearing from you, and if you’ve got what it takes, we hope to be able to welcome you to the Neowin team very soon 😁👍

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 20: Ignite recap, no more 3D in Windows, and new BBK phones
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. This week, we reach a major milestone - episode 20 - and it only took us two years to get there. On this episode, Rich and João recap the highlights of Microsoft's spring Ignite event, some changes to Windows 10, and a couple of new phones from BBK Electronics - the parent company of OPPO and OnePlus.

Yes, last week, Microsoft held the second half of its virtual Ignite event, which was split in two parts for the first time. While it wasn't as packed with news as previous iterations, we still saw some interesting things like Microsoft Mesh, intelligent speakers, and - a favorite of our readers - the general availability of Universal Print. Then, this week, Microsoft removed some 3D-related apps from clean installations of Windows 10 for Windows Insiders, and Edge Legacy got its last update ever. Finally, we got to see OPPO reveal the Find X3 Pro flagship, while OnePlus began hyping up the camera on the OnePlus 9, which is getting revealed in a couple of weeks.

You can catch up on all the news using the links below:

Universal Print is now available for Microsoft 365 customers

Microsoft has a whole bunch of new Teams features, including intelligent speakers

Microsoft Mesh is an Azure-powered platform that aims to revolutionize mixed reality

Panos Panay is pumped for the "next generation of Windows"

Dedge: Microsoft's old Edge browser is no longer supported after today

Windows 10 build 21332 removes 3D Viewer and Paint 3D on clean installs

OPPO unveils the Find X3 Pro - and here are our first impressions

OnePlus confirms Hasselblad partnership, OnePlus 9 coming March 23

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · 20 - Ignite recap, no more 3D in Windows, and OPPO's sleek flagship Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 19: Android, Windows, and iOS betas are here
      by João Carrasqueira

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast! On episode 19, we're talking about beta season - that wonderful time of the year for tech enthusiasts where major beta updates start to be released.

As we get deeper into 2021, we're starting to approach some big new software updates, and because of that, there are previews and betas rolling out that you can try out now. The most notable is likely Android 12, the next big Android update which brings along some UI changes and some potential new features - though some of them are hidden for now. Windows 10 is also getting updated to version 21H1 with some minor changes, and iOS is getting its mid-life update to version 14.5, which finally lets you unlock your phone with a mask on.

If you're interested in learning more about these updates, you can check out our coverage of them in the links below:

Google announces Android 12 How to install the Android 12 developer preview Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 How to start testing Windows 10 version 21H1 iOS 14.5 lets you unlock your phone with a mask on and change your default music player with Siri You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 19 - Beta season is here Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!