Eleven years came and went, and subscriptions giveaway!

DirtyLarry

Definitely a good time for me to return to some moderation duties. :punk:

Seriously, congrats on the accomplishment.

I have definitely had varying roles of involvement here on Neowin, and I truly appreciate them all.

Thanks to Neowin, I was able to visit my favorite video game developer of all times, Valve.

I was also able to cover CES one year. Got to hang out with some really great guys as well. SkkyPunk, Shane Pitman, and Frank. Was a crazy fun filled couple of days. One of the weirder moments of that trip being when I interviewed Pro Gamer Fatality. Strictly by chance we hung out with him the night before at some crazy sponsored party in some penthouse, it was like a party you see in the movies. And he was a pretty cool guy actually, nothing like what I expected him to be based on all the crap talked about him online.

I was able to go to Seattle, and hang out with Sig from Deadliest Catch on his boat the Northeastern.

I got to go out to Austin Texas, and hang out with most of the staff at the time. Another great time (which I cannot remember any news stories from :laugh: ).

Shortly after the Austin trip, I did my official stint on the news staff, and unsuccessfully started the Gaming News Team. :cry: :D

All of these things I no doubt would have never done otherwise without Neowin.

There have definitely been some ups and downs with me and the site personally. However almost all of the downs have been while I was a moderator, and solely because I really did dedicate alot of hard work at times. I also did some things which I know caused some people to dislike me. But I always felt it was for the better of the community at large. I truly do mean that. I definitely could look back and say I have a few things I would have preferred went down differently, but overall I stand by the fact that every single thing I have done, no matter how unpopular at the time, and no matter how hard it may have been at times because like it or not I am only human and I do wind up getting to know people, was always something I felt would be best for all of the members. With all that said, the ups far outweigh the downs, and the downs were obviously not that bad, as I am back to moderating again.

So even though I am pretty sure I have said so in the past, would just like to say thanks for all of the opportunities and for the respect of the members. It truly has been a pretty large part of my life the past 8 years since I joined, and I no doubt appreciate it all.

tomwarren

Wowzers, 11 years :o congrats!

+Biscuits Brown

Its been a very fast 11 years. I haven't been a member the whole time but if I add my lurker years to my member years its darn near 11.

Sikh

I found neowin via google when I was searching a computer hardware problem that had to do with the realtek drivers not letting DFLW launch properly.

After that, i followed neowin but not as "religiously" as I do today. In the past months I've been busy with my full-time job and business but I have this as my homepage on desktop, laptop and iPhone. Everywhere I go, if I haven't checked neowin in half an hour I always do. I have you guys down as my RSS Feed on iPhones lock screen.

This place is wonderful, the admins, staff and most of the members are awesome people.

Everyone keep up the good work!

P.S. Entry into the drawing. Ive been itching to see this special forum. I can careless about ad free or not, I just want to know what you guys are hiding from us!

Art3x

Man, I remember sitting at work reading Neowin and nineteeneleven.org all day. Now I just read Neowin as 1911 has been dead and gone for many years :(

Kondrath

Entering!

It's hard to choose a favorite memory, but the one that stands out the most is my first time posting here in 2005. I was very tech illiterate and thought that a bully from school was hacking me. I posted logs from my McAfee which didn't really show anything. lol. I told neowin "He says he has my IP address and he is going to port scan me", etc. Then Neowin is all "Lol, that's like saying 'I have your house address'. He can't do anything.". Somehow the guy ended up registering here and found my thread. We started arguing like idiots, then John S. closed the thread and suggested that I call the police. After feeling like a moron, I decided to stick around here anyway and just read up. I learned so much. Neowin has impacted my life in a pretty big way. I went from thinking "If I press the wrong key on this keyboard, I could give the computer a virus" to building my own computers, being known as the guy to call when there's a PC problem, etc. It's good to be here and I plan on staying.

That "bully" and I are good friends now, too. We both ended up getting into computers and sharing many lol's. We jhated each other back then for no reason. hahah... dumb times!

Dinggus

I found Neowin years ago, I think on v4. I was probably in highschool when I found it. I don't go to any other tech website, and it helps me keep up-to-date with new products that are coming out especially while deployed, I like to keep my moral up and visit Neowin to do so.

Elliot B.

Been here since the early Unreal Tournament days - good times!

Here's to another 10 years of my being here! :D

Neztea

Wow, So much has changed in the last 11 years especially how it has grown as a community. Must of been 15 when I first went onto neowin. Now I'm turning 26 this month. Amazing.

neztea

Raa

I remember when I joined, I was a lurker for a short time before that though.

The forums looked better then :p

qdave

Its not quite 10 years of neowin for me yet, but it will be next year! helluva long time to be posting in the same forums! Though before registering and finding help with my problems(main reason why probably most started coming here), i was visiting it randomly for several months before. Now it all seems like something from another life.

Anyway it has been good being here. And i loved to see the change happened over the many many years.

FMH

One day I sort of became a Microsoft fanboy. My brother got a new PC and it had Windows 7 installed. For me the world ended at XP, and I didn't care about anything other than it. It did what I wanted, and I only did light surfing and check my email occasionally.

I didn't even liked Windows 7 in the beginning! I thought, that when I stuck my Windows to the side, and it expanded to half of the screen, as a really annoying feature! I'm talking about Aero Snap. But eventually I really started loving the entire package, and thus begin my journey in the tech world. :laugh:

I didn't knew of any tech sites so I started going through all the Wikipedia articles related to Microsoft and also Apple. I learned a lot from there.

In one of Microsoft article, Neowin was mentioned as a "Microsoft fan site". So this was the first tech website I visited! I got hooked to it.

I liked reading people's comment, and what they thought about particular news article. So I signed up as FMH, with it being my name's initials.

I actually remember my first comment really clearly. I even remember what was the article about. It was an article about Bing and Google Earth!

And I got really bullyed on my first comment. I was really sad about it for days, actually. (I'm looking at you, kezzzs! :D ) But eventually I got used to this...

No matter how many tech sites I go to, and trust me I go to a lot of sites on daily basis(at least a dozen), Neowin is my favourite. I have done over 3000 comments already, with about 90% of them being made in last six months. As a comparison, on Engadget I have only made one measly comment, and that was only about referring someone to a ZDnet article.

I got to Neowin several times a day, and made some great friends too, over here.

I have really spend a lot of time on Neowin, did a lot of polls and forum posts. And it was a really happy time for me. And thanks to Neowin, my typing speed has improved drastically since I came to your site. :) Before this, I had trouble even finding the keys. I always used to forget there places. I can now type without even looking! :rofl:

I would really like to win this. I have not been here for that long a time, but I'm still young and would intend to be here for much longer.

And thanks to Neowin, I now know exactly what I want to do with my life. Hint: it's something to with tech.

And that's a pretty big deal for me. I fell in love with making UI and UX. I have filled several drawing pads after drawing pads. I know the exact moment that got me hooked to it. Thanks again Neowin in a really big way. I owe you one. (Y)

bruNo_

I guess some user at WinMatrix recommended me Neowin as a great site for tech news. It was back in 2005 when I had my first account here. Some years passed and I registered again (lost my account/e-mail, can't remember what happened).

Last year I felt I had to help you guys and subscribe, not necessarily to help, but to demonstrate my feelings for this great community.

Peace,

fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj

I stumbled upon Neowin diagnosing an error message a few years ago and I've found the community nice and helpful so I've stuck around. And the news isn't to shabby either :p

Entered!

statm1

I was referred to Neowin during the v3.x days. I was just getting into to the whole pre-release windows thing. Found several sites for tech news Neowin, betanews, and a few others that don't exist anymore including JCXP. Neowin is the main site that I've stuck with all this time. Its always been a goto place for news and its only gotten better over the years. The design of the site just keeps getting better with every new version. Pegasus being the best yet.

Nightz

I found Neowin when MS was running the Vanishing Point promotion for Vista. You guys helped me win a copy of Vista Ultimate and my first Xbox 360. :)

szo

thanks for the great site!

Haven't posted much over the years, but have visited almost every day and hovered over the forums.

Love the community! Here's to many more years to come! :)

pwnz0r3d

early 2000 you had all these technology sites and forums flourishing, and i think i joined them all :) neowin stood out though, and still does, so i stuck around. this is one of the few sites i check every day for the latest stuff that's happening out there on the interwebs. neowin has this perfect blend of really informative stuff and totally random crap, all fun to read :)

SimplySchizo

I found neowin just like the majority of the folks here back in 01-02 did... Trying to customize windows. :D

Allan

I joined, I helped, I got frustrated, told Parker off, was banned. I came back, and I've been trying to help again.... I wouldn't mind a subscription package ... I remember the interesting discussions between Snyper, myself and others in the 'private' members metropolis! *LOL*

cyoung1616

It's been a while for some of us and I also have another year here. Been fun.

Cody

Damo R.

Over the 9 years that I have been involved in Neowin in some form there has been some awesome moments and some down moments. The down moments were being called Spammer because of the infamous 8m Thread and the 9m Thread and the 10m Thread but it was massive fun and met a few cool peeps there. The Ups have been joining the news team in 2009 and having a few months there and then leaving to pursue pastures new over at a movie website but then came the big news when I was announced as a MVC and felt quite privileged!

80,000 came around and I took a hiatus and well the amount of emails I got to return was crazy so I returned! and on the day I return I become a GMOD and the rest as they say is history!

I hope to stay another 11 years...but lets face it the world ends next year...right! ;)

• Like 1
Allan

Rappy is my hero!

Riggers

Came here for some advise on a technical issue and found the help absolutely first class. What more can i say other than i ended up using Neowin as a hub.

Kirkburn

I lurked here for a while without registering, don't recall exactly what got me to do so (long time ago!), but it was certainly worth it :)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      Neowin is looking to hire driven and motivated writers
      by Steven Parker

Reach out to the world along with our awesome staff Do you like technology news? Do you want to have your content viewed by millions each month? Can you write coherently and most importantly, do you love the English language? If this all sounds good to you, we are looking to add a few writers from anywhere in the world to our team to cover Microsoft and the world of technology news; but if you reside in Europe or Australia (Asia-Pacific) that is a plus because they are time zones we are short on right now.

If you have a passion for reviewing hardware and writing informative and inspiring news articles, Neowin might be the right place for you.

What are our expectations?

Be active: We require no less than 4 articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This won't replace your full time job, but is an easy way to earn extra cash for a few good nights out or other things. Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. You must be proficient in English and grammar. We understand no-one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page. Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off this site. Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus. We do not assign or require people to write only on specific areas unlike other established news sources. It is worth pointing out that our primary topic of coverage is Microsoft but we know that there are many topics out there that fit within our style. Our writers can write from a variety of different categories.

Here's a general idea of what we cover here at Neowin:

Microsoft Apple Linux Gaming Software Hardware Gadgets Mobile Devices Editorials & Reviews And anything else that's related to technology If you feel you have what it takes to be a part of our awesome team here at Neowin: Send your completed application here. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to reply to you instantly, and we disregard incomplete applications. Please give us at least a week or two to reply.

Thanks, and good luck!

Write for Neowin
    • By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 21: A new look for Windows 10 and new OnePlus phones
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. On episode 21, Rich and João talk about the new icons that Microsoft is working on for Windows 10, the new phones from OnePlus, and an alleged Qualcomm PC chipset could spell trouble for the next generation of Windows on ARM devices.

It's been quite the interesting week for tech news, starting with OnePlus revealing the OnePlus 9 series, including the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The two new phones aren't all that surprising, but they're interesting all the same, both packing 120Hz displays, wireless charging, and a promising camera experience thanks to a partnership with Hasselblad. OnePlus also revealed its first smartwatch, the OnePlus Watch.

Then, Windows fans got some big news with the first major shakeup to the icons in Windows 10's File Explorer we've seen in years. The new icons are more colorful and have João way more excited than he should be. And finally, a leak revealed the benchmark results of an alleged Qualcomm chipset for Windows PCs, and the numbers don't look great. As Rich puts it, Qualcomm may have Osborne'd its next-generation chipset because of its recent acquisition of Nuvia.

If you'd like to catch up on the news discussed in this episode, you can use the links below:

OnePlus announces the OnePlus 9 series with Hasselblad cameras

OnePlus unveils the OnePlus Watch with two weeks of battery life

Windows 10 is getting all-new icons in the File Explorer

Possible Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 shows up on Geekbench

Qualcomm completes $1.4 billion purchase of CPU firm NUVIA

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 21 Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!

• By Steven P.
      We're looking for people to cover Microsoft tech news at Neowin
      by Steven Parker

Trying to keep our readers informed and updated on the constant stream of announcements, leaks, rumors, and insights that pour in from around the world is a non-stop job, including at weekends! With millions of readers worldwide, we know just how important it is to help them stay up to speed with the relentless pace of change and developments in technology.

That’s why we’re continuing to expand our team of news reporters. We’re looking for eager, enthusiastic people to join us part-time (or full time, see below in the Apply section), preferably from native English speaking countries such as the UK, the United States, Canada, and Australia, but we'll consider those in other parts of the world too.

Our requirements
      We would love to hear from applicants with experience in covering technology news, but previous experience isn’t strictly necessary to apply. Enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and a desire to constantly improve and grow professionally – applicants with these traits are just as important to us as those with years of reporting experience.

Many of our reporters over the years have had no previous experience, but that hasn’t stopped them from doing a great job; some very well-known faces in the tech journalism community made their names at Neowin with little or no experience at first. We offered them a strong foundation upon which to build their careers.

Of course, even without reporting experience, we demand that applicants have plenty of knowledge about technology. Our coverage includes Microsoft, Apple, Google, Linux, gaming, software, devices, accessories, and so much more, along with analysis and insights into what’s happening in the tech industry.

We require that applicants be proficient in English, and although it is a preference, it doesn’t mean English has to be your first language. We will accept applications from anyone aged 18 or over, from anywhere in the world that accepts PayPal and Payoneer as a method of receiving payment, and we warmly invite people from all backgrounds to apply.

Neowin has a zero-discrimination hiring policy; whatever your ethnicity, gender identity, or sexuality, and whether you prefer Linux over Windows, or Xbox over PlayStation, what matters most to us is your passion for technology, your drive to do the job and constantly improve, and your ability to impartially report and discuss what’s happening in the tech world.

Be active: We require no less than four articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This probably won't replace your full-time job, but it is a great way to earn some extra cash while gaining valuable experience in reporting with one of the most established brands in tech news. Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. We understand no one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page. Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off the site. Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus. Although we are looking to bolster timely coverage on all things Microsoft, we don't assign or require people to write only on specific areas or even at fixed times of the day unlike some other news sites, so our reporters can write on a variety of different topics whenever they want!

What you'll get from us
      All articles that are published on Neowin start at $5, and that payment rises with the number of unique hits it gathers. Just one article can earn $100 if it reaches a threshold of unique hits, for this it would have to go viral, and articles do achieve this at Neowin often. The fact of the matter is, our payments are based on merit and the hits the articles achieve, so you are rewarded when you do well, but you'll get less for poor performing items.

Apply!
      You can find out more about our requirements, and how to apply, on this page.

We look forward to hearing from you, and if you’ve got what it takes, we hope to be able to welcome you to the Neowin team very soon 😁👍

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 20: Ignite recap, no more 3D in Windows, and new BBK phones
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. This week, we reach a major milestone - episode 20 - and it only took us two years to get there. On this episode, Rich and João recap the highlights of Microsoft's spring Ignite event, some changes to Windows 10, and a couple of new phones from BBK Electronics - the parent company of OPPO and OnePlus.

Yes, last week, Microsoft held the second half of its virtual Ignite event, which was split in two parts for the first time. While it wasn't as packed with news as previous iterations, we still saw some interesting things like Microsoft Mesh, intelligent speakers, and - a favorite of our readers - the general availability of Universal Print. Then, this week, Microsoft removed some 3D-related apps from clean installations of Windows 10 for Windows Insiders, and Edge Legacy got its last update ever. Finally, we got to see OPPO reveal the Find X3 Pro flagship, while OnePlus began hyping up the camera on the OnePlus 9, which is getting revealed in a couple of weeks.

You can catch up on all the news using the links below:

Universal Print is now available for Microsoft 365 customers

Microsoft has a whole bunch of new Teams features, including intelligent speakers

Microsoft Mesh is an Azure-powered platform that aims to revolutionize mixed reality

Panos Panay is pumped for the "next generation of Windows"

Dedge: Microsoft's old Edge browser is no longer supported after today

Windows 10 build 21332 removes 3D Viewer and Paint 3D on clean installs

OPPO unveils the Find X3 Pro - and here are our first impressions

OnePlus confirms Hasselblad partnership, OnePlus 9 coming March 23

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · 20 - Ignite recap, no more 3D in Windows, and OPPO's sleek flagship Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 19: Android, Windows, and iOS betas are here
      by João Carrasqueira

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast! On episode 19, we're talking about beta season - that wonderful time of the year for tech enthusiasts where major beta updates start to be released.

As we get deeper into 2021, we're starting to approach some big new software updates, and because of that, there are previews and betas rolling out that you can try out now. The most notable is likely Android 12, the next big Android update which brings along some UI changes and some potential new features - though some of them are hidden for now. Windows 10 is also getting updated to version 21H1 with some minor changes, and iOS is getting its mid-life update to version 14.5, which finally lets you unlock your phone with a mask on.

If you're interested in learning more about these updates, you can check out our coverage of them in the links below:

Google announces Android 12 How to install the Android 12 developer preview Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 How to start testing Windows 10 version 21H1 iOS 14.5 lets you unlock your phone with a mask on and change your default music player with Siri You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 19 - Beta season is here Do you have a topic you'd like us to discuss on the podcast? Let us know in the comments!