If Nokia had gone with Android?

213 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Nokia Android Phone?

• Yes, I would buy a Nokia Android Phone
    • No, I would NOT buy a Nokia Android Phone
    • I hate Nokia, I dont care about the OS
    • I love Nokia, I dont care about the OS
    • I like WP7/Nokia.

I hope you're right Boz, that would really do numbers for Androids rep

though I will gripe about one thing that google needs to do something about, and that's the Market

I understand their idea of an open market, and it's good in theory, but in practice it's been proven many times that the completely open market can cause a lot of issues

I also don't agree with the complete closed garden that Apple does, but google really needs to find a good in between, each app needs to at least be looked at before it's allowed on the market

Honestly, if I know that user is less savvy, I tell them to get Nexus S or now Galaxy Nexus. It's the pure clean Android experience and they will have zero problems and always get updates before everyone.

As you said, the real problem is not Android as an OS or even as a platform, it's the companies. And I guarantee you that there will be a moment when one of these guys will just start releasing their phones stock (ASUS is one good example) and they will make a killing.

I love ASUS for example because since they don't really have a lot of garbage in terms of UI changes they are able to update their devices weeks after official release of new Android versions.

That's where other Android makers will hopefully be forced to go and just concentrate on hardware and let Android be android as it was meant to be.

I like your arguments, but what i understand from it is that the freedom that google gives to the manufacturers is what is ruining the Android experience.

So i guess openness and freedom aren't always good to get the best user experience

I like your arguments, but what i understand from it is that the freedom that google gives to the manufacturers is what is ruining the Android experience.

So i guess openness and freedom aren't always good to get the best user experience

it's not so much the fact that google IS giving them freedom to do things, it's more google is giving the companies too MUCH freedom to do what they want with the OS

edit: and with that thought going back on the main topic, with that freedom and Nokia's known attention to detail, it'd be interesting to see what Nokia would've done with Android

though I gotta say, WP7 fits nicely on the Lumia 900

Honestly, if I know that user is less savvy, I tell them to get Nexus S or now Galaxy Nexus. It's the pure clean Android experience and they will have zero problems and always get updates before everyone.

As you said, the real problem is not Android as an OS or even as a platform, it's the companies. And I guarantee you that there will be a moment when one of these guys will just start releasing their phones stock (ASUS is one good example) and they will make a killing.

I love ASUS for example because since they don't really have a lot of garbage in terms of UI changes they are able to update their devices weeks after official release of new Android versions.

That's where other Android makers will hopefully be forced to go and just concentrate on hardware and let Android be android as it was meant to be.

Thats exactly what i told my friend two days ago when we went for a drink(Bar is one best place to argue about IOS,WP7 and Android).. He got a Galaxy S and was ****ed that he is not getting ICS. Now he is getting a Galaxy Nexus when it comes to ATT hopefully next month....

Thats exactly what i told my friend two days ago when we went for a drink(Bar is one best place to argue about IOS,WP7 and Android).. He got a Galaxy S and was ****ed that he is not getting ICS. Now he is getting a Galaxy Nexus when it comes to ATT hopefully next month....

did he get the original Galaxy S or the SII? :huh: because I'm pretty sure I heard ICS is coming to the Galaxy SII

did he get the original Galaxy S or the SII? :huh: because I'm pretty sure I heard ICS is coming to the Galaxy SII

Galaxy S got the ICS upgrade but was pulled.. that's because Samsung has that idiotic TouchWiz I can't stand that is sucking up all the memory. They are supposedly rethinking it because of the consumer pressure now (and they get everything they deserve as I am criticizing them for these shady practices as well) but it's important to note that this is a Samsung problem not Android's. This only means that Samsung is really not that great with following through and consumers should go with other choices.

Galaxy S2 will normally get an upgrade because they have 1gb of ram so that garbage TouchWiz can fit also.

You see that's the bad and good thing with open platforms. But that's how it should work because we are the ones who decide who we will go with and if we get screwed once we can go with someone else who will see an opportunity to release a phone without that garbage and they will get consumers.

The worst thing that can happen is to eliminate choice on account of preventing stuff like this.

I think that Microsoft has a chance and I think Windows Phone is kind of in the middle there. So if they do it right, they might really shine because they will have diversity in hardware. But to be honest, the thing I love about Android is the same freedom that can in fact sometimes be inconvenient. That customization, making that phone my own, the widgets and other things where I can refresh my phone with new look every once in a while.

This also allows as we move forward and these smart device grow some really wild things where Android has an advantage exactly because of that openness and the ability for developers and hardware makers to really push the boundaries of how you use your device.

One such example is full integration with many of our devices that we use daily (our home automation, refrigerators, light-bulbs, cars, TVs, tablets, smartphones etc). To me that's a real game changer that is very difficult to achieve with a proprietary OS.

If ASUS made a phone I would get it but otherwise I'm getting Galaxy Nexus, but to get back on topic, if Nokia made the newly designed phones in Android I would buy them in a sec because their hardware kicks butt.

That doesn't mean that it won't be good with Windows Phone though. I just don't know if it is going to be as successful as it may have been with Android.

It was the original Galaxy S. It might get value pack but might not get that either.

Thing is, Android isn't the number 1 selling smartphone. It is becoming the number one smartphone OS though. There is a huge difference. Also, is there really any surprise with this? When every manufacturer under the sun is selling an Android OS phone, of course it'll become number one. This is the same thing Microsoft did in the past to get the lion's share of the PC market.

When you add up all the sales of every model phone running some form of Android OS and compare the numbers against the handful of phones running Windows Phone or Apple's iOS, there shouldn't be any doubt who would come on top. This is the main reason Nokia, in my opinion, was correct in choosing to go with Windows Phone over Android. It's a hell of lot easier to make a huge splash in a kiddie pool (Windows Phone market) when compared to the Olympic-sized swimming pool that is the Android market.

So People that buy the iPhone are all zombies because they all like the same thing. People that like Andoid want a variety to choose from. Yup we're clear.

Funny, When I know a person is less savy I recommend an iPhone because iPhones are made for idiots after all. Apple does all the thinking for that person.

Probably would not buy a Nokia Android phone. Probably wouldn't buy a Nokia period. Especially seeing their poorly designed Windows Phones. No expandable storage, a laughably small screen, odd and, to me, not appealing design. I'm happy with the products Samsung is producting right now.

Probably would not buy a Nokia Android phone. Probably wouldn't buy a Nokia period. Especially seeing their poorly designed Windows Phones. No expandable storage, a laughably small screen, odd and, to me, not appealing design. I'm happy with the products Samsung is producting right now.

Windows Phone's have the same screen resolution, regardless of screen size.

• Like 1

I laughed my ass off. Nice joke.

Merf, its true. A lot of general consumers have a very poor understanding of Andorid workings. Like Windows. So when it gets glitchy and slow they blame the phone/android rather than themselves!

• Like 1

I personally think nokia did better to go with windows than going with android, like others' have pointed out that android is built in many phones.