Insulting 1% Waitress Tip

I just saw this on Yahoo. How rude and filthy. I would love to know who the banker is so I can send him an email and give him a piece of my mind. What an A...hole.

In England if a tip isn't left, it isn't frowned upon. So why is it in the US? You shouldn't have to or be pressured into leaving a tip ffs!

That being said, there was not need to the horrible comment after.

In the US, waiters and waitresses are paid below the minimum wage, like $2-4 an hour. They live on tips because their employers are cheap.

Waitresses in the US don't get paid minimum wage? Do you have a source for this because it sounds far fetched for your laws to have a loophole like that which relies on optional donations (which is basically what a tip is) to provide a percentage of an employees pay.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

varies by state

Waitresses in the US don't get paid minimum wage? Do you have a source for this because it sounds far fetched for your laws to have a loophole like that which relies on optional donations (which is basically what a tip is) to provide a percentage of an employees pay.

It's true. They have their own minimum wage. For normal employees it's $7.25/hour. Employees that receive tips have a minimum wage of $2.13/hour. However, if the employee makes less than $7.25/hour in wages + tips, the employer has to pay the difference.

(These are the laws in effect here in Louisiana, varies by state)

For some reason, Louisiana isn't listed on that page...

It's true. They have their own minimum wage. For normal employees it's $7.25/hour. Employees that receive tips have a minimum wage of $2.13/hour. However, if the employee makes less than $7.25/hour in wages + tips, the employer has to pay the difference.

Indeed that is what the law says but i don't doubt that some employers are getting away with not paying the difference.

I used to tip 15% but knowing from one of my friends who worked as a waiter in a very normal restaurant (Boston Pizza) that employees can build a salary of $50k-$60k with tips, I?m more reserved today.

I haven?t studied so heard for 6 years (thus sacrificed 6 years of salary) to have a base salary lower than people who require no knowledge.

What an idiot! If all the waitresses get "real jobs" like he has suggested, who the **** is gonna serve him his food? He certainly seems incable of ever making something himself, or doing anything for himself for that matter.

Kind of disturbed that some people in this thread seem to look down on people who depend on tips.

I used to tip 15% but knowing from one of my friends who worked as a waiter in a very normal restaurant (Boston Pizza) that employees can build a salary of $50k-$60k with tips, I?m more reserved today.

I haven?t studied so heard for 6 years (thus sacrificed 6 years of salary) to have a base salary lower than people who require no knowledge.

Hate to tell you this but no matter how hard you study there will always be people that are absolutely brainless that make more money than you do. Yes people can make an incredible amount of money from tips, but they work for it, and it's not a very common thing. It requires hard work, a very positive attitude, and quite a bit of luck.

I don't mind tipping but only do so for good service. Give me bad service and you get a bad tip. Tips should never be automatic.

I also reject the whole notion that it should be % based of what I spent on a meal. I've seen people at regular restaurants work their butts off way more than the people who work at higher end places who may only come to a table two or three times total. The cost of my food doesn't affect their job any and my tips properly reflect that. I tip the performance, not some bull**** %.

Booo some people make more money than you booo.

Quit your job and become a waiter since it does not require any knowledge and you can make more money, problem solved.

I don't know anyone who works as a waiter that is "ballin' out of control". Almost everyone I know is struggling to pay their bills every month.

I hate being waited on, so I always begrudgingly tip, but I do, and that's also why I abstain from going out to eat. If I want a restaurant's food, there's always takeout. I'm not going to fight the system by taking advantage of someone whose fault it isn't.

Usually checks over $100 include a 15% gratuity... The article does not mention if this is the case. But that doesn't excuse the comment. I have known waitresses... my wife waitressed for money while in college. Waitresses work their behinds off. Ridiculous for him to even THINK such a thing. This, people is where all evil comes from... straight out of the heart and into words (spoken and written).

I can't remember who said it, but when I said I felt pressured it was mainly having a meal in America then I'd get the bill/check and they'd circle the tip thing about a thousand times as like a hint.

My friend when there and they didn't tip and the waitress came running out saying "you forgot to tip" to which they replied "we didn't, you were just rubbish"

One place we did tip massively in America was Ponderrosa or something, we felt like a quick cheap meal and went there, to our suprise it was nice and the waiter had HUGE sideburns so we tipped more than the cost of the meal haha.

But usually, my view on tipping maps Mr Pinks from Reservoir Dogs :p "You don't tip people at McDonalds, there still serving you food"

We found that customer service was lacking in England, perhaps because they aren't expecting a tip. I'm not how accurate this is, but it seemed to a broad pattern. You might not notice it if you're used to it though.

The difference is that in such countries as the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. we expect to be served and not to be worshipped as if we were some sort of demigod to whom the waiter has to bow down to and glorified.

Sorry, the whole idea of the pocket ****ing that takes place in the US makes my stomach churn at the institutionalised class system that is re-enforced via such customs as 'tipping'.

As mentioned, no one should feel pressured in to giving a tip. The employer should be paying enough for them to live on. The worst thing that this guy did was the comment. Clearly waitressing is a real job, if it wasn't then who would have served him his lunch?

All I can say is that we don't know how the customer had dealt with the waitress before.

It's possible he did offer her a job if she's smart or good-looking and then, after she declined (or didn't give her number), his self-esteem was ruined and he needed to leave that comment to redeem himself in his own image.

It's also equally possible that the waitress's performance there was below the businessman's expectation.

You should leave a tip if 'service charge' is not billed for.

Waiters and Waitresses are poorly paid and if they make your experience great then reward them.

I think 15%-20% is a fair tip.

Or go to a hamburger restaurant and eat there is you don't like tipping.

Why be a dick about it at all? She did her job. Just don't leave a tip next time rather than being a douche about it.

I dont tip at all. Period.

I do. If the service is good. It's a small gift of an additional few coins to help the person out. It's called being a good person. Not giving tips flat out suggests you're a cold, selfish person who doesn't think beyond his own life. No matter how many problems you have, there's always people out there worse off. And as much as you might think you are justified, and you're right ... you don't have to leave one ... those people serving you are on minimum wage and usually struggling through school etc and could do with your spare change (NO one needs to keep the spare change in their pocket if they just went out for a meal at a restaurant).

It's one of those things that makes me feel pretty good if I can tip someone a good amount for some kind service. Their there to take your order, to bring your food. End of. They don't have to be nice, to smile, or compliment, or to even bring it in good time ... they can of course, put extra time and effort in to make sure you feel like you just had a great time.

The tip system in the US is what's insulting. It's your employer's duty to pay your salary, not the customers'.

That said, that's no reason to be an *******. Give no/low tips if you want, but writing that stuff on the receipt is completely unnecessary.

yeah, writing that isn't needed. but if the waiter was rude etc then maybe it was needed.

I hate giving tips. but that's just me, however I do give the odd tip if the service is good and I enjoy my meal and it doesn't cost a lot already.

I only tip when there is something exceptional about the service, otherwise you are paying for the service in your bill and the staff are getting paid anyways...