Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

I will tell you why. Because XBOX has only one interface to communicate with you and that is that XBOX Metro interface and as such works ok. PC Desktop is entirely different thing. I have Desktop, i don't need Metro Start Menu. It just gets in a way to what i want to do.

It shouldn't be any more interfering than the Start Menu. The principals behind the two are the same.

It shouldn't be any more interfering than the Start Menu. The principals behind the two are the same.

As I said before, "Uggg! Critics!" lol. I have no need to further justify myself to the person above. No worries. :)

I will tell you why. Because XBOX has only one interface to communicate with you and that is that XBOX Metro interface and as such works ok. PC Desktop is entirely different thing. I have Desktop, i don't need Metro Start Menu. It just gets in a way to what i want to do.

Ok, have it your way if you want to be at Burger King. To each their own! lol

Running Windows 7, I'm in Word (name any apps here), and I want to quickly open an app to check something out. Easy, go to the start menu, select and run, and it's going to open over my Word window or on my second monitor (whatever). Why do I get the feeling that I'm leaving what I'm doing to open something else with Win8? Leaving the desktop view, to open the Start Page, in order to run something else is jarring. Fells like I'm swapping in and out of 2 different OS to perform one task.

And that 25%/75% split view, it's less than ideal on a big screen. No windowed Metro apps? Come on, it's a backward way of working. Maybe it's okay on a small screen, but on a desktop?

I'm trying like hell to feel it and like it, but darn, it's hard....

Because you are to set in your ways to even give it a chance.

If you go and sit in from of your PC with the attitude of learning something new, you will like win8

If, on the other hand, all you can think of is, this is different then Win7 you will have a hard time.

Same goes for the average Joe everybody is talking about.

If you show them a Win8 PC and you have the right attitude, they will also like it.

Because you will high light what the cool new ways of doing things are.

It really is only a small learning curve

Running Windows 7, I'm in Word (name any apps here), and I want to quickly open an app to check something out. Easy, go to the start menu, select and run, and it's going to open over my Word window or on my second monitor (whatever). Why do I get the feeling that I'm leaving what I'm doing to open something else with Win8? Leaving the desktop view, to open the Start Page, in order to run something else is jarring. Fells like I'm swapping in and out of 2 different OS to perform one task.

And that 25%/75% split view, it's less than ideal on a big screen. No windowed Metro apps? Come on, it's a backward way of working. Maybe it's okay on a small screen, but on a desktop?

I'm trying like hell to feel it and like it, but darn, it's hard....

You just really don't want to understand why METRO apps should only be full screen do you?

You just really don't want to understand why METRO apps should only be full screen do you?

Please tell me WHY they should always be full screen? I'm not on a phone or a tablet, I'm on a f*cking big screen PC.

I wish I could drink the same cool-aid that Win8 lovers drank around here....

Please tell me WHY they should always be full screen? I'm not on a phone or a tablet, I'm on a f*cking big screen PC.

They are not creating the Metro app platform to just run on a PC.

It's supposed to run on phones, tablets, pc's and probably xbox.

If you run Win8 on a PC you can still use the desktop and open up as many windows as you want

That's the problem. How could you think one UI would work equally well with touch as well as keyboard&mouse/trackpad input and on a phone, tablet, laptop/desktop PC or 10ft experience.

If you run Win8 on a PC you can still use the desktop and open up as many windows as you want

Sounds like an awesome feature. ;)

They are not creating the Metro app platform to just run on a PC.

Your last phrase tells me you did not read anything I wrote in my last comment. I KNOW I can open many windows in the Desktop, but I have to switch to the Start Page each time I want to open something.

Your last phrase tells me you did not read anything I wrote in my last comment. I KNOW I can open many windows in the Desktop, but I have to switch to the Start Page each time I want to open something.

I just don't understand why it's such a big deal to open a full screen start menu for a second to open an application

I really don't get it

I just don't understand why it's such a big deal to open a full screen start menu for a second to open an application

I really don't get it

Because it's disruptive to the workflow? It's awkward?!

Hey to each there own. In the end, I'll be happy to stick with Win7 if the final release of Win8 is not to my liking. And there is OS X.... !!!

I've had it in the back of my mind to give Windows 8 a second chance. If I install it from within Windows 7, is there an option to uninstall it or am I stuck with formatting and reinstalling Win 7?

Hey to each there own. In the end, I'll be happy to stick with Win7 if the final release of Win8 is not to my liking. And there is OS X.... !!!

I guess that's where some of us think differently, but like you say to each there own.

I do believe for the average user Win 8 will be great as long as they come out with enough useful apps.

For the 'power user' it will depend if they can live with that start screen or not

I guess that's where some of us think differently, but like you say to each there own.

I do believe for the average user Win 8 will be great as long as they come out with enough useful apps.

For the 'power user' it will depend if they can live with that start screen or not

I agree with this, and am currently trying to decide just that, "can I live with that start screen or not?" Overall I like Windows 8, it feels snappier (or it could just be that i did a clean install and my windows 7 partition has been collecting junk for years) I like the improvements to windows explorer; but i HATED the start screen, after a few days of use I'm starting to get used to it and can manage. After finally playing with it over the weekend for extended periods of time I can honestly say I am just as productive in Win 8 as i was in Win 7. But to be honest I still don't really like it and am just putting up with it.

It's been said before but at this point if they allowed me to enable the old start menu I would be perfectly happy paying to upgrade to Windows 8, I really don't see why we have to be forced to use the start screen, even windows XP has the option to "use the classic start menu" why cant they have a toggle in 8 to allow us to use the windows 7 start menu?

I don't find it anymore disruptive or distracting as the Start Menu. Windows Key > Type "yourprogramhere" or "developernamehere" > Enter. Boom.

No, you get in the way of what you want to do. Metro works very well.

It's not disruptive or awkward, it's just not what you're used to.

Its only for apps that you don't have pinned though. So you will see a screen when you first login, and two when you are at that rare case when you need to open an application that you don't have pinned.

In fact, you don't even have to see the start screen, just right click and select search, and you get an apps search on the right side of the screen without the start screen underneath it.

+1 This. Metro apps aren't for the PC screen; they're for a phone or a tablet. And only that form factor! In a Windows environment you should always be able to minimize a Window or have it tiled with others or be able to switch to another one quickly. Now, it's true that the app side bar on the left hand side helps with some of that, it's still designed for something on a touch device. Not a PC with a big monitor.

+1 This. Metro apps aren't for the PC screen; they're for a phone or a tablet. And only that form factor! In a Windows environment you should always be able to minimize a Window or have it tiled with others or be able to switch to another one quickly. Now, it's true that the app side bar on the left hand side helps with some of that, it's still designed for something on a touch device. Not a PC with a big monitor.

MetroTwit, Zune, and Windows Media Center disagree. :)

Zune and Media Center are not Immersive apps. They are Win32 apps and can be run in fullscreen, maximised, or windowed.

"devHead" is talking about Immerisive apps which has to be run in fullscreen or in a snapped state.

Here's the thing. The apps aren't for the PC screen in your opinion. In a Windows environment you should always be able to minimize a window or have it tiled with others or be able to switch to another one quickly, in your opinion.

Windows wasn't always like that. That was something they added that people had to get used to and fought against because they weren't. You're not use to working this way. Had this OS been designed and implemented 12 years ago, I guarantee you wouldn't be saying what you're saying now. Why? Because, you'd be so used to working in this manner that you wouldn't give it a second thought.

The only part of the "less productive" argument I can sorta understand is the limit on number of open windows. Now, I could see a 1-1-1, or 2-1, or 1-2 configuration. That would be two smaller windows on either side of the larger, or two smaller windows on the left of the larger one, or two smaller windows on the right of the larger one.

Also, each open desktop app should appear individually inside the preview pane so when clicked it goes directly into that app, not the desktop first and THEN you have to click on the app.

Outside of that and some rough patches here and there, I'm quite good with Win 8. 'Tis my main OS on my main box right now.

3 apps can disagree; the other million don't though :)

Here's the thing. The apps aren't for the PC screen in your opinion. In a Windows environment you should always be able to minimize a window or have it tiled with others or be able to switch to another one quickly, in your opinion.

Windows wasn't always like that. That was something they added that people had to get used to and fought against because they weren't. You're not use to working this way. Had this OS been designed and implemented 12 years ago, I guarantee you wouldn't be saying what you're saying now. Why? Because, you'd be so used to working in this manner that you wouldn't give it a second thought.

The only part of the "less productive" argument I can sorta understand is the limit on number of open windows. Now, I could see a 1-1-1, or 2-1, or 1-2 configuration. That would be two smaller windows on either side of the larger, or two smaller windows on the left of the larger one, or two smaller windows on the right of the larger one.

Also, each open desktop app should appear individually inside the preview pane so when clicked it goes directly into that app, not the desktop first and THEN you have to click on the app.

Outside of that and some rough patches here and there, I'm quite good with Win 8. 'Tis my main OS on my main box right now.

Fine, let's say for argument's sake that full screen apps are the way of the PC future, since tablets and phones require them and they're getting so popular that now they need to be on everything. But to me, the loss of the Jumplist functionality on a Start Menu is counter-productive. They only had it on one OS and now it's gone because they want your PC to look like a giant touch phone. That's the problem I have with it. 12 years ago, the GUI in the OS was still designed with the PC in mind. Windows 8 is the first operating system with a UI designed first for a tablet/smartphone, then tweaked so that it's halfway usable in a Desktop / Laptop non-touch environment. So, you don't have Jumplists anymore in the Start Menu. It's as if Microsoft said, "Sorry, we know you all really liked it and we really talked it up in Windows 7, but if you want it now it's only on the Taskbar." I'm sorry, that is a step back.

• Like 1