Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

Why do people say it's so hard to get to the control panel or Windows update?

Control Panel: Rightclick in the left bottom corner select Control panel

Windows Update: Right click on the Action Center Flag, then click open Windows Update

What's so hard about this?

Nothing hard about it all. Think people are just making issues for the sake of it, trying to quantify why they hate it or are choosing not to upgrade.

See, this is your problem. You haven't even understood what my point was. My point wasn't that Microsoft "should have a desktop airplane mode" in Windows 8 (that statement of yours implies that I believe Microsoft should go out of their way to develop that specific feature). I was merely pointing out that Microsoft shouldn't remove that already-present feature for those who use Windows 8 on a desktop PC, and I provided possible (although unlikely) uses for it, to help backup my reasonable point. Likewise, I didn't even suggest that is the reason Microsoft left it in, like you claim here. I provided possibilities to backup my point, but I did not state that was Microsoft's reasoning.

Similarly your reply assumed my point was that it should be removed which it wasn't, I was just perplexed that you seemed to feel the need to justify its presence. At least we can both agree it wasn't left in for a specific reason (like desktops on planes!!!) and that it isn't a problem for anyone if it's left there.

I would, however, love the first Win 8 TV advert to be a guy with a desktop on his private plane saying "I'm a PC and airplane mode for desktops was my idea". That would be the funniest advert ever!

• Like 2

Similarly your reply assumed my point was that it should be removed which it wasn't, I was just perplexed that you seemed to feel the need to justify its presence. At least we can both agree it wasn't left in for a specific reason (like desktops on planes!!!) and that it isn't a problem for anyone if it's left there.

I would, however, love the first Win 8 TV advert to be a guy with a desktop on his private plane saying "I'm a PC and airplane mode for desktops was my idea". That would be the funniest advert ever!

That's a fair point. I think I did assume that and I shouldn't have. So sorry about that :)

Haha, that would be brilliant :D

That's a fair point. I think I did assume that and I shouldn't have. So sorry about that :)

Haha, that would be brilliant :D

Lol, it's all good. :) Now just trying to find a workaround to get it to install on my desktop.

I removed all the Metro related apps, pinned my normal desktop-apps to the metro screen. Now it's kinda the same as the old startmenu, just fullscreen and looks different. Now I just focus on the benefits in explorer, taskmanager and dual-screen stuff and I kinda like it. There are some annoying bugs though. Sometimes, Chrome stays on top when I click the explorer icon, which is very annoying. Need to close/reopen Chrome to resolve this.

Also, cloudn't fin the recycle bin anywhere, not even when I searched for it. So needed to add that manually.

Overall it's a good experience if you ignore Metro and the crappy Metro apps (which are great for touch, but suck on the desktop).

You got it wrong all the way.

Before you had a tiny list of the available wifi, then you had to scroll a lot to find the one you are looking for.

With the new system included in Windows 8, it shows a huge list, no more need to scroll. And since you are focused on that list while using it, don't tell me it's a "waste of space", i'd rather say it's using efficiently the screen space available.

Most places I go, I've never seen more than 2 or 3 wireless networks within range anyway, so that has never been an issue. I guess it really depends on how close you are to a large number of networks.

It hasn't been known as "start" since XP

That's funny, because even on Windows 7, it is referred to as the "Start Orb", and a tooltip saying "Start" pops up if you hover over it. In other words, you are 100% wrong there.

edit: sorry, just noticed that someone else has already pointed this out to you.

That's funny, because even on Windows 7, it is referred to as the "Start Orb", and a tooltip saying "Start" pops up if you hover over it. In other words, you are 100% wrong there.

I know, I was corrected, Catch up.

I know, I was corrected, Catch up.

If you notice, I edited my comment. Sorry. I missed that other reply to you when skimming the thread.

Did you ever noticed the "MultiQuote" button? It's quite usefull :p

Useful to some, annoying to others, sort of like the Metro interface on Windows 8 (just to get the thread back on topic).

I prefer navigating mostly by the mouse myself. The ones who say 'you're doing it wrong, all you have to do is type this and that' ... no sorry, I'm not going to do that. I want a simple icon on my desktop that I can double click to start that. And I miss the start menu. This is not a smart phone, and I'm not using a touch screen. I like navigating by mouse, and will continue to do so as a personal preference. Don't assume your preference of using the keyboard is the only 'right' one.

Why don't you put the shortcuts you want on the Start screen instead of the desktop? Shortcuts on the desktop are very hard to reach. They can be obscured by many layers of windows. If you're already in the desktop you can use the "show desktop" button, but this is far more disruptive to your desktop workflow than opening Start and then dismissing it. And I if you aren't in the desktop already, they're even harder to get to.

Contrast that with the Start screen, where anything you put there is two clicks away, no matter where you are in the system. And it can fit far more than the old start menu, with much easier mouse targetting.

I liked it at first, but I just think I liked the idea of Microsoft doing something new. The implementation just doesn't work right for me. Notifications are something I really enjoy having. When I receive a Twiiter update, I like to know immediately so I can stay up-to-date. The same with email and IM messages. Thus far, I don't have this experience in Windows 8. The "People" App doesn't notify me when there's a new tweet or when someone messages me on Facebook. There's no notification that I've received a new email message. I have to back out of whatever experience I'm in to the Start Screen and check the live tile of the specific App to get the current status on it. That's a waste of time.

I'd love it if they'd implement system-wise notifications that performed similarly to when you install an App from the Marketplace. When it's finished installing, a notification alert appears in the upper right-corner of your screen. It would be nice if I could receive notifications like that no matter where I am in the OS.

But, then again, I am not a developer. Just a user throwing things out there. Maybe there's a reason they didn't do it like that.

That's already the way it works. Any app can post those "toast" notifications, and you'll see them, regardless of where you are. The Mail app preview does not have this implemented, but other apps like the Messaging app do, so you can see it in action if you use that and you get an IM.

We're at a point now where anyone sticking with XP is practically no different from someone sticking with Windows 3.11 when Vista launched. We used to think of these people as the grampas of computing. Since then, PCs have gone mainstream, and it's become apparent that this isn't a 'grampa' at all--it's a mindset of a group of people who hate the idea of relearning ANYTHING so much that they'll lock themselves out of new hardware just to avoid the software necessary to take advantage of it.

Actually a lot of XP machines are just kiosks. Many not even recognizable as XP (i.e. ATMs, movie theater ticket kiosks, etc). These are rarely replaced (why bother), and never upgraded.

two which quickly come to my mind, the power button and the control panel... previously it was a two click affair. now it is not. Another would be My computer and My Document and similar shortcuts from the start menus... now I am having to put them on my desktop... which I liked to keep clean and empty.

Why not put them in Start?

Power/Shutdown is still two clicks (Settings -> Power). The new control panel is two clicks (Settings -> More PC Settings). The old control panel for advanced users is still two clicks for advanced users (right-click in lower-left corner -> Control Panel).

So you think MS should have a desktop airplane mode for the three people in the world who would even consider using it, but yet you object to them including a traditional Start Menu which probably well over 50% of users would want and use?

There is no such thing as a desktop airplane mode. "Airplane mode" (which has uses other than airplanes) is a feature for any device with wireless capabilities. It's the "turn off all wireless capabilities" button. Many desktops do not have wireless networking, so will not see this.

That's already the way it works. Any app can post those "toast" notifications, and you'll see them, regardless of where you are. The Mail app preview does not have this implemented, but other apps like the Messaging app do, so you can see it in action if you use that and you get an IM.

As of right now, I am not receiving any alerts for Mail, Twitter, or Facebook. I have to go to the Start Screen, look at the Tile, and hope it's updated. I'm aware of the ability for toast notifications, which leaves me all the more puzzled as to why I am not seeing any save for the time when an App finishes installing from the Marketplace.

As of right now, I am not receiving any alerts for Mail, Twitter, or Facebook. I have to go to the Start Screen, look at the Tile, and hope it's updated. I'm aware of the ability for toast notifications, which leaves me all the more puzzled as to why I am not seeing any save for the time when an App finishes installing from the Marketplace.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any either.

Brandon, are you sure that functionality made it into the CP? (Also, did you see my PM at all?)

randon how do we know when ther is an update for the Preview Apps

I know I am not Brandon, but there will be a number that appears on the store tile to indicate that apps have updates and then in the store there is a link that shows you what apps have updates when clicked. :) If I am not mistaken, it simply won't show the link if there are no updates.

I keep saying it. This new Windows is going to flop. Windows 7 works flawlessly, why on earth did Microsoft decide to add that horrendous interface?

God help them.

I keep saying it. This new Windows is going to flop. Windows 7 works flawlessly, why on earth did Microsoft decide to add that horrendous interface?

God help them.

Surly saying it once is enough?

• Like 2

God help them.

They're changing with the times. They need an OS that can play well with a wide range of hardware - keyboard, mouse, Kinect, touch, etc... - without the need for multiple operating systems. Think of it as one OS to rule them all. The old Start Menu doesn't have a shot in Hell at working with all of that.

They're changing with the times. They need an OS that can play well with a wide range of hardware - keyboard, mouse, Kinect, touch, etc... - without the need for multiple operating systems. Think of it as one OS to rule them all. The old Start Menu doesn't have a shot in Hell at working with all of that.

Metro on the Xbox is great, everyone likes it. Not sure why people are saying it only works with a touchscreen. (And no, I don't have a Kinect to emulate a touch interface). Charms work great with mouse and touch. The start menu certainly doesn't have a shot in hell of working, you're right about that.

Metro on the Xbox is great, everyone likes it. Not sure why people are saying it only works with a touchscreen. (And no, I don't have a Kinect to emulate a touch interface). Charms work great with mouse and touch. The start menu certainly doesn't have a shot in hell of working, you're right about that.

Ugg! Critics are fun aren't they? lol. I can tell you one thing. This UI "DOES" work for everything as you said. I couldn't agree with you more. It is only a matter of time before the critics will see that fact. It isn't worth the time trying to argue it with those that have such strong opinions about it. Trust me! :) I can tell you one thing though. I work in IT for an insurance company and I am a Developer (the same as many of those that are complaining about the new UI) and I can tell you that it definitely does the job more effectively than the start menu. Is there a learning curve? Sure! However, given a small amount of time, I quickly learned my way around it. ;)

• Like 2

Ugg! Critics are fun aren't they? lol. I can tell you one thing. This UI "DOES" work for everything as you said. I couldn't agree with you more. It is only a matter of time before the critics will see that fact. It isn't worth the time trying to argue it with those that have such strong opinions about it. Trust me! :) I can tell you one thing though. I work in IT for an insurance company and I am a Developer (the same as many of those that are complaining about the new UI) and I can tell you that it definitely does the job more effectively than the start menu. Is there a learning curve? Sure! However, given a small amount of time, I quickly learned my way around it. ;)

Agreed.

As a longtime user of Windows (in my case, back to Windows/286) and sometime developer/programmer (PCs, and mainframes before that) I've seen things change rapidly enough. One thing my LONG time in IT has taught me is that change is inevitable - you have two choice; keep up, or get run over. IBM didn't keep up, and darn near DID get run over - IBM is not the IBM of even ten years ago - let alone the IBM that founded the PC market as we know it today. The same applies to Apple; if anything, it's more true of Apple than IBM - the Apple of today, compared to ten years ago, is much more a software+services company, despite Macs. Pardon Microsoft for not being willing to sacrifice itself to satisfy what is, even by their own admission, a *niche*, though influential, audience.

• Like 2

Agreed.

As a longtime user of Windows (in my case, back to Windows/286) and sometime developer/programmer (PCs, and mainframes before that) I've seen things change rapidly enough. One thing my LONG time in IT has taught me is that change is inevitable - you have two choice; keep up, or get run over. IBM didn't keep up, and darn near DID get run over - IBM is not the IBM of even ten years ago - let alone the IBM that founded the PC market as we know it today. The same applies to Apple; if anything, it's more true of Apple than IBM - the Apple of today, compared to ten years ago, is much more a software+services company, despite Macs. Pardon Microsoft for not being willing to sacrifice itself to satisfy what is, even by their own admission, a *niche*, though influential, audience.

+1000! I couldn't have said that better if I tried! Thank you! :D

I will tell you why. Because XBOX has only one interface to communicate with you and that is that XBOX Metro interface and as such works ok. PC Desktop is entirely different thing. I have Desktop, i don't need Metro Start Menu. It just gets in a way to what i want to do.