Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

So, because YOU like it, others have to as well?

That seems to be the gist of many of your posts here, as well as those of other Windows 8 supports like Paul Thurrott.

the difference is that some here are saying, I hate it so I will tell people not to use it

This is a big reason why Vista was received so bad, techies didn't like the change and just spread a lot of crap about Vista.

I had random people coming up to me who never saw Vista and said it was bad, just because they heard a friend of them say it.

We really don't know how the 'average joe' will react to windows 8, but you can assume that If MS does well in the tablet market

The desktop market will do well too, because the learning curve is gone

We really don't know how the 'average joe' will react to windows 8, but you can assume that If MS does well in the tablet market

The desktop market will do well too, because the learning curve is gone

That is a VERY dangerous assumption to make. Not everyone who owns a tablet owns a desktop, and not everyone who owns a desktop owns a tablet. Even among those that do, I'll bet that VERY few of the tablet owners currently own one that will run Windows 8. It is going to take a MASSIVE shift in marketshare for Microsoft to take over the tablet market. They have barely made a dent in the smartphone market with WP7 (and have had over a year to do so now), so I don't have high hopes for them having much success with the tablet market either. Both markets (smartphone and tablet) are absolutely dominated by iOS and Android right now.

How do you switch between tasks by going to the top left, when you're only using Desktop apps?

Sadly you can't at present. It'd be great if they made it so you could but I very much doubt it seeing as they just treat the desktop as an app for preview bar. Proper applications are just "apps within an app" essentially so don't appear in their own right. Makes what could have a very useful feature utterly pointless for desktop users in its current state.

Well, we can't say the same for your saying either. Since the Internet didn't exist for the public, we won't really know for sure, but I recall my father saying that a few of his coworkers were grumbling about it. This guy was the one I recall saying it when I witnessed my father showing off our new floppy drive.

I don't doubt what you're saying brian. I just don't think you can draw a parallel from that incident to the issues people are having with Windows 8's UI. I don't think anyone say they just don't like it in and of itself. They're saying it requires more effort for simple tasks and is not comfortable to use with a keybaord and mouse. I happen to agree with them.

There's things I like, there's things I don't like. I think MS is aware of its issues but has an agenda to move into the tablet space and they're going to use the desktop to do it. There's a whole lot of goodness under the hood though that will be hard for IT shops to pass on, especially on Server. Hell, our next huge file server cluster will be Windows 8 solely for the built-in De-Dup. Will save us a ton of time and money. I'm ready to sign off on using CP for it. That's HUGE.

The desktop however, it's an issue. Many of the people who are having issues are die-hard Microsoft people. We all want to like it but we're not going to suffer for MS. I was in the WinMe beta. I would feel much more comfortable if people who liked it and are going to use it regardless, would just admit it's shortcomings. 1) There's still time for MS to fix a lot of it and 2) it would lead to more civil discourse.

The thing I'm worried about is them talking about the Desktop as an 'app'.

The Desktop used to be the portal to your apps, with methods for switching between them. Now, the Start screen is the portal to your apps with methods for switching between them, and the former portal to your apps is an app you can get to through the new portal, and which you can launch, and which continues to offer the old method of switching between its apps. I'm really surprised, how some people don't seem to get that this is conceptually confusing.It requires a relatively complex mental model and runs counter to Metro's goal of simplifying the user experience.

Admittedly, this isn't an issue for users who are able to stay purely in the Metro environment. I wonder how many are going to be able to do so...

I wonder about all the apps that use the Status Tray and Notifications. They can't all be tiles, that will be a bloody mess. And yes, if they keep making them, back and forth, desktop metaphor, metro metaphor. I happen to like a custom desktop and icons. There are issues, that's all I can say.

I'm in apps all day, multiple windows, I use the auto-hide all day long, I'm just not giving up that productivity. I also utterly refuse to browse in full screen widescreen. Not going to happen. I think once the gee whiz, cool factor wears off, people will realize MS has 9 months to fix a huge mess of the UI.

That is a VERY dangerous assumption to make. Not everyone who owns a tablet owns a desktop, and not everyone who owns a desktop owns a tablet. Even among those that do, I'll bet that VERY few of the tablet owners currently own one that will run Windows 8. It is going to take a MASSIVE shift in marketshare for Microsoft to take over the tablet market. They have barely made a dent in the smartphone market with WP7 (and have had over a year to do so now), so I don't have high hopes for them having much success with the tablet market either. Both markets (smartphone and tablet) are absolutely dominated by iOS and Android right now.

Great point Mississippi. Most people who own and actively use a tablet probably own a Mac, lol. And I must say, Android tablets are garbage, I returned two recently. Just horrid. I'm no Apple fan but iPad leaves Android in the dust. I can't imagine anyone who has owned an iPad settling for an Android Tablet.

The sad thing here is Windows Phone and the Metro UI on a tablet are both superior to their competitors in their own right and MS just needs to be patient, market better, and incubate more quality apps and NOT try to shoehorn their touch interface to the masses by forcing it where its just not best suited to be, the productive Desktop.

I actually wouldn't have a problem if this was a startup option that could be disabled. Problem is MS "has" to force devs to make tablet-centric apps for what they are trying to accomplish here.

I believe MS thinks iPad can replace the desktop PC. It can't. Will it take sales, yes, but probably from those who don't actually need a PC anyway. So there's really no need to try to turn the desktop into a tablet. I think MS has overanalyzed things here.

@Stoffel

>>the difference is that some here are saying, I hate it so I will tell people not to use it<<

I haven't seen that. But if it is happening, that is not right. Mostly what I see is people saying what or why they don't like it or feel it is a step backwards, and then being attacked for it.

>>This is a big reason why Vista was received so bad, techies didn't like the change and just spread a lot of crap about Vista.<<

We passed on Vista. Vista worked. period. It worked. The problem is it caused more work to manage and make it non-obtrusive to everyday information workers. People who get paid to be productive with comptuers, not to "figure out how to make them work." The UAC caused a great deal of problems. There were just many issues that would have driven up support costs and driven down productivity. At the end of the day it's about Time and Money. Windows is the king of productivity, Vista threatened that. If this hybrid UI does, make no mistake, we won't shoot ourselves in the foot to support Microsofts bad implementations.

So far, across dozens of forums and thousands upon thousands of posts since W8CP was released (and even back so far as W8DP too), I swear, this is my basic reaction now to these threads where people just drone on seemingly forever about the same crap over and over again...

crapcrapmegacrap.jpg

Surely someone else gets it, right? Right? :shifty:

If this stuff gets rehashed any more than it has already I swear, I'm gonna open a road-side grill and start serving up the hash and make some money from it.

• Like 2

So far, across dozens of forums and thousands upon thousands of posts since W8CP was released (and even back so far as W8DP too), I swear, this is my basic reaction now to these threads where people just drone on seemingly forever about the same crap over and over again...

crapcrapmegacrap.jpg

Surely someone else gets it, right? Right? :shifty:

If this stuff gets rehashed any more than it has already I swear, I'm gonna open a road-side grill and start serving up the hash and make some money from it.

I suppose if you have nothing more intelligent to contribute, crap is something.

How do you switch between tasks by going to the top left, when you're only using Desktop apps?

Call me silly but, if you're in Desktop mode and you have a bunch of apps running - and none of them are Metro apps - one would think you'd have their associated buttons on the Taskbar to use as a click-to-switch-to-the-given-app, wouldn't you? As I run my Taskbar on the left side of the display, I myself would actually have reason to move the cursor up and to the left depending on what I'm looking to click on but, as the majority of Windows users don't move their Taskbar and it remains forever entrenched at the bottom of their displays, if they're not running any Metro apps whatsoever I can't imagine them clicking the upper left hand corner for any reason whatsoever if they aren't using any Metro apps...

But that's just me, I suppose.

I suppose if you have nothing more intelligent to contribute, crap is something.

Brevity is necessary sometimes, sooooo...

Call me silly but, if you're in Desktop mode and you have a bunch of apps running - and none of them are Metro apps - one would think you'd have their associated buttons on the Taskbar to use as a click-to-switch-to-the-given-app, wouldn't you? As I run my Taskbar on the left side of the display, I myself would actually have reason to move the cursor up and to the left depending on what I'm looking to click on but, as the majority of Windows users don't move their Taskbar and it remains forever entrenched at the bottom of their displays, if they're not running any Metro apps whatsoever I can't imagine them clicking the upper left hand corner for any reason whatsoever if they aren't using any Metro apps...

But that's just me, I suppose.

Brevity is necessary sometimes, sooooo...

You're right, sort of. But it would still be better if you only had to use one method of switching apps.

I have played with Windows 8 for about 2 days before I switch back to Windows 7. The main reason I went back to Windows 7 was that the video was not work on my Media Center on Xbox 360.

1. Went start to the new UI instead of the classic mode desktop. Although the Windows 8 UI is good for a tablet or a phone aka Windows Phone 7. It does not work well with a keyboard, mouse and a 24 inch non touch monitor. Things are not in good ordering fashion when installing any software that did not come from the App Store. The icons on the Tile are very bad symbol design and at a big monitor size it makes it worst.

2. Removing the start menu. Okay, the start menu is really not completely gone but how they design it now is really painful. It seem like your always jump from the new UI to the old all the time. I found clicking the Windows button odd and uncomfortable at times. (It's really the first time I really use the Windows button when trying to find an app).

3. New layout/design on the Window folder design. I really don't like the Office ribbing design for the Window folder at all. It makes the window bigger and having to open a file for a non default harder because I would have to right click on it instead of having it on top of the Window as an option.

4. Restart, logout and shut down is no longer in classic mode. It was a really pain to remember to switch to the new UI just to restart the computer.

5. The solid colors in the UI is just god awful. It's too colorful for my eyes to see. More so when opening an App and seeing a solid color for 10 seconds or more, until it finally open up.

6. Fullscreen window mode is too much on a desktop and I have no need to have it fullscreen. Yes, I can split the screen up but only doing it for one App is just too few for me. I really need a bar on the bottom or top to show which apps are open and able to switch by seeing a preview when hovering over the icon or see the window behind the top window.

• Like 1

You should have been using start to find apps since 7, it's good that MS is more aggressively forcing people to switch to that model.

The ribbon is better than what came before use it, don't resist it.

You can always set the theme colour to black if colours really bother you.

Most people aren't using 24" or 27" monitors these days. It's either laptops or 40"+ HDTVs. Besides, Metro works greaton the 360 so you're probably also wrong about how it works on a smaller screen than that.

You should have been using start to find apps since 7, it's good that MS is more aggressively forcing people to switch to that model.

The ribbon is better than what came before use it, don't resist it.

You can always set the theme colour to black if colours really bother you.

Most people aren't using 24" or 27" monitors these days. It's either laptops or 40"+ HDTVs. Besides, Metro works greaton the 360 so you're probably also wrong about how it works on a smaller screen than that.

I think it's a conspiracy by the media and they're setting up MS. The way the iCabal in the media are going ga-ga over this turd is very disconcerting. The apologists will always hold the line for MS so that's not surprising. But seeing the word 'jarring' over and over again from those with no obvious agenda should give some pause to MS.

I hate that the reply box resets when I press ESC (IE10)

I have played with Windows 8 for about 2 days before I switch back to Windows 7. The main reason I went back to Windows 7 was that the video was not work on my Media Center on Xbox 360.

Second reply. IE10 resets these textboxes when I press ESC and it is really annoying

1. Went start to the new UI instead of the classic mode desktop. Although the Windows 8 UI is good for a tablet or a phone aka Windows Phone 7. It does not work well with a keyboard, mouse and a 24 inch non touch monitor. Things are not in good ordering fashion when installing any software that did not come from the App Store. The icons on the Tile are very bad symbol design and at a big monitor size it makes it worst.

The start menu can be re-ordered by dragging the icons to where you want them. That should help your problem.

Non-metro icons are at the moment ugly and are unable to be changed. I expect this to change.

2. Removing the start menu. Okay, the start menu is really not completely gone but how they design it now is really painful. It seem like your always jump from the new UI to the old all the time. I found clicking the Windows button odd and uncomfortable at times. (It's really the first time I really use the Windows button when trying to find an app).

You are expecting a different event to occur when you perform an action. Totally understandable as it has worked a certain way for years. You will adjust over time though. I notice you didn't lose any functionality, so it's just the jarring effect that you don't like.

3. New layout/design on the Window folder design. I really don't like the Office ribbing design for the Window folder at all. It makes the window bigger and having to open a file for a non default harder because I would have to right click on it instead of having it on top of the Window as an option.

The ribbon UI will outperform the icon tool bar in A/B testing. Additionally it's much more user friendly for new users. Power users don't lose any functionality as they'll usually be keyboard users.

To solve your problem, double click the menu bar and it will be out of your way.

4. Restart, logout and shut down is no longer in classic mode. It was a really pain to remember to switch to the new UI just to restart the computer.

4a. You don't actually need to enter the start screen to shutdown. Charms, settings, power.

4b. You typically perform this task too often, that is why it is ONE click extra. There are many ways to shutdown now. Check your search engine for more.

5. The solid colors in the UI is just god awful. It's too colorful for my eyes to see. More so when opening an App and seeing a solid color for 10 seconds or more, until it finally open up.

Preference thing, I guess UI theming could help. Unfortunately part of the branding is bold colours. You'll find it as the current trend on websites too. Can't really help you here much..

6. Fullscreen window mode is too much on a desktop and I have no need to have it fullscreen. Yes, I can split the screen up but only doing it for one App is just too few for me. I really need a bar on the bottom or top to show which apps are open and able to switch by seeing a preview when hovering over the icon or see the window behind the top window.

the apps are open on the left.

what tasks are you trying to accomplish. I spend approx. 98% of my day in the desktop. I expect to spend a lot more in metro mode when I get a Win8 tablet.

Having the ability to have Metro in a Window might be a good idea, i'd have to try it and see.

Cripe!

I can't believe all the Windows 8 is bad at topics here!

Most of you are acting like a noob on their first day using Linux, or something!

I'm an old fart and I definitely hate changes, but sheesh, I can handle this and I don't really even give a rats butt about using Windows 8!! Only trying it simply because I can!!

I have a 23.6" monitor and I honestly don't see why that makes it any worse. I also can't see why so many are saying the UI doesn't work with a keyboard and mouse, seems fine to me.

Pin your apps you use more to the desktop or your taskbar.

Use the charm bar

Don't use the Metro Apps then.

I would develop a separate version for tablets, try to make the whole platform more attractive to developers by easing development for tablets, phones and PCs and work with OEMs in bringing top hardware.

The desktop market is stagnant/flat for reasons having nothing to do with Windows - or Microsoft - or even Intel/AMD for that matter.

The desktop market is stagnant/flat due to two reasons - one, there is little reason to upgrade to a new desktop, as typical desktop hardware has more power than the OS - any OS - can harness for the average user. (I have a Q6600 - the quintessential quad-core of two years ago. However, for the vast majority of medium-range applications OR games, it's actually overkill. My wanting to move to i5-K has more to do with price than needing the extra power.)

Secondly is us as users moving more and more to using portable computers. Not just tablets and slates, but Ultrabooks, netbooks, even notebooks (which have simply moved upstream and now pretty much compete with, and depending on the user's needs, threaten to replace, if not replace entirely, desktops).

Funny thing, i just bought a playbook and was about to return it because it didn't work the way i expected, but that has actually been fixed by changing how i hold it slightly, and now it works very, very well. If you're looking for a reason not to like any OS you're going to find that reason, but if you're looking how to make the most of it you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I think it's a conspiracy by the media and they're setting up MS. The way the iCabal in the media are going ga-ga over this turd is very disconcerting. The apologists will always hold the line for MS so that's not surprising. But seeing the word 'jarring' over and over again from those with no obvious agenda should give some pause to MS.

It is jarring, yes, but they know that. The key here is getting Metro apps in the store, and the fact of the matter is that Microsoft has great developer relations. They're going to have an easier time getting Metro apps out than Apple will getting devs to switch to the new Lion APIs.

Most people aren't using 24" or 27" monitors these days. It's either laptops or 40"+ HDTVs.

WTH are you smoking?! :s

Some of the most common sizes used are between 19" and 27". Hell, even GFX professionals in various industries use monitors between 24" and 30".

HDTV's? Pleeeease. Almost everyone here or any where else will agree that 1920x1080 resolution on a screen that size for day to day computer usage SUCKS!

HDTV's? Pleeeease. Almost everyone here or any where else will agree that 1920x1080 resolution on a screen that size for day to day computer usage SUCKS!

I guess I'll be one of the few that will disagree with you. *continues working on 40" at 1920x1080*

WTH are you smoking?! :s

Some of the most common sizes used are between 19" and 27". Hell, even GFX professionals in various industries use monitors between 24" and 30".

I said most people, not Neowinians. See what real people are using.

That's why I said "any where else" as well. My circle of friends, co-workers, relatives etc is encompassed of about 300 people, and NONE of them are using an HDTV instead of a monitor.

Almost ALL of the real people I know use between 19" and 22" screens, I have 2 22", but yea not everyone has an HDTV. Just because you use an HDTV don't classify it as everyone, or most people. Because that simply isn't the case.

Most people are using laptops or HDTVs :D

I go out to people's houses to sort out computer issues. I have quite a lot of clients. I know only a handful of people that do that, and of those, the only ones that do use a HDTV are the onest that have it connected to a laptop. I know no one who has a desktop and uses a HDTV as output.

Anyway - I'm also having a lot of problems with XBox 360 streaming. Suddenly it is unable to play videos that it's able to play on Win 7 due to corrupt videos or missing codecs - sometimes it won't even find any files that are in the library and I have to go through setting up the media extender again with the security code and whatnot.

Funnily, I got fed up yesterday and tried streaming through the PS3 - works without any hassle at all :D With the added bonus that I can skip properly through video files that the 360 doesn't like.