Christian students walk out as Dan Savage attacks the Bible

Because of that, I am done arguing with you and I will let you remain delusional, superstitious and ignorant as we move into the 21st century.

belief in the bible moves you 2000 years in the past, not the 21st century.

look simply put, the lowest common denominator I can give is, "love the sinner NOT the sin" Jesus ate with the sinners NOT because he was giving them a wink and nod but, because he was showing mercy and compassion. some in Christianity haven't quite moved from the milk of the word to the meat of the word in their personal interpretation of the meaning.

I will put a Jihand on you ... allah akbar ... the dark ages of infidels is here ...

i am no muslim but have watched team america world police .... TAKARIIAAAAAA!!!

we need more naked women

At this point you are just ignoring everything that has been said so you can continue to foster your blind hate. I have been to over 30 churches over the years and not once has a single person taught to kill homosexuals. You are just making stuff up now about something that you are ignorant towards. The fact that you didn't know the Bible teaches to hate no one shows that.

I didn't make anything up. Here are some words from the Bible:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.(Leviticus 20:13 KJV)

What do those words "teach"? Love and charity?

Because of that, I am done arguing with you and I will let you remain delusional, superstitious and ignorant as we move into the 21st century.

Boy, you guys have that "walk out when you can't defend your beliefs" move down pat, don't you?

Shellfish is forbidden to Christians too, but is just one of the many parts of the bible which Christians ignore.

No, it is not. Jesus taught that it is what goes into your heart, not your belly, that matters. I'm not going to post a big quote here, but you (and everyone else here) should go read Romans 14. It talks a bit about food and law, but it also talks about accepting people you disagree with.

But no, Christians are not bound by any dietary restrictions on shellfish (unless they choose to do so).

But no, Christians are not bound by any dietary restrictions on shellfish (unless they choose to do so).

That depends on if you're going to totally dump the OT or not, really... Seeing as many Christians use it to justify their hate of homosexuals, they should follow the food restrictions in it too, or they're hypocrites.

No, it is not. Jesus taught that it is what goes into your heart, not your belly, that matters. I'm not going to post a big quote here, but you (and everyone else here) should go read Romans 14. It talks a bit about food and law, but it also talks about accepting people you disagree with.

You might want to reread that, he was talking about hand washing not meat in that chapter, he was talking ab out the huge amount of legalism installed with mosaic law. Mosaic law was more civilized that its neighbors at the time and was something God allowed in much the same way as God allowed them to have a king even though he didn't want them to. The Jews up until Christ took Mosaic law and made it even more strict to the point where it was a mess of legalism. The vs you mentioned is one vs that only when read by itself talks about anything other than hand washing. (verse 2 and 20). It;s unfortunately your types of picking and choosing that makes everyone hate Christians. Also Romans 14 is discussing faith and judging. What it is saying is, if someone believes that they are doing something wrong and do it anyway is damned for having little faith, while someone who is doing the exact same activity, but with no knowledge that it is wrong is not sinning. The bible is written so clearly, and yet people like you have to come and say stupid things. I believe the Decalogue is the only timeless part of Gods law and the rest was cultural law that God allowed the Jews to practice in hopes of turning them completely around, but they fell to legalism by the arrival of Christ. Mosaic law was split into 3 parts, the Decalogue, And the inspired (Leviticus) and the uninspired cultural law Deuteronomy. This is why Leviticus can be said to apply today, while Deuteronomy cannot be said to apply today. Leviticus starts out with the first verse of every chapter saying that God spoke these words, and half the vs are followed with "I am Yahweh" This is done because these are supposedly directly from God like the Decalogue, yet Deuteronomy describes the cultural law written entirely by Moses And the first verse of the chapter makes this abundantly clear.

I didn't make anything up. Here are some words from the Bible:

What do those words "teach"? Love and charity?

More specifically, the Old Testament law which the Bible teaches is no longer in effect. This is exactly why everyone here is calling you ignorant. You are bashing a religion using out of context quotes. It is a book for a reason. You have to consider the entirety of it IN CONTEXT. Like you said pages ago, since you can't use logic, your forfeit is noted since you have the memory of a goldfish and can't seem to keep a single train of thought going, let alone grasp the basics of such a simple book.

More specifically, the Old Testament law which the Bible teaches is no longer in effect. This is exactly why everyone here is calling you ignorant. You are bashing a religion using out of context quotes. It is a book for a reason. You have to consider the entirety of it IN CONTEXT. Like you said pages ago, since you can't use logic, your forfeit is noted since you have the memory of a goldfish and can't seem to keep a single train of thought going, let alone grasp the basics of such a simple book.

And this is why they hate you, you make no attempt to discern between inspired law (Leviticus) and cultural mosaic law (Deuteronomy).

So if the OT is just a book, then so is the NT.

So they're all out of context according to you.

Yeah so you do the same thing to them. You say they shouldn't treat gay people the way they do but yet you have no problem attacking them for their religion. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of religions that I disagree with more than Christianity, but they aren't out in full force trying to pass public policy that dictates to other people how they should live their lives. That is so extremely offensive that I don't know how the hell you can stand there and act like you are the victim and the one being Attacked. I was raised Christian, and I understand that there is some serious "conditioning" to make you feel like you as a people are constantly on the defensive, but I assure you if you step back and really look at reality you would see that the defensiveness you feel has absolutely nothing to do with your personal life but rather your religions inability to control the aspects of other people's lives.

So if the OT is just a book, then so is the NT.

So they're all out of context according to you.

And soon, there will be a NNT. And all the christians will claim, " how dare you quote our OT or the NT, we don't follow those anymore! " Yet still , cherry picking what they want to keep and not keep, based off of no ground, except actual human morality that exist outside of religion.

And soon, there will be a NNT. And all the christians will claim, " how dare you quote our OT or the NT, we don't follow those anymore! " Yet still , cherry picking what they want to keep and not keep, based off of no ground, except actual human morality that exist outside of religion.

The thing is, they're not just picking what to believe and what not to believe. At least I hope they aren't (if they are, then they're doing it wrong ;) ). Sin is still sin, but we are no longer bound to Mosaic law or redemption, since Jesus was the 'greatest sacrifice,' and thus freed us of the law. That doesn't mean that the OT is totally meaningless now, it's just that it's not in force as it was. The NT makes this quite clear, and it is not just random people define what to believe and what not to believe. At least it shouldn't be.

The thing is, they're not just picking what to believe and what not to believe. At least I hope they aren't (if they are, then they're doing it wrong ;) ). Sin is still sin, but we are no longer bound to Mosaic law or redemption, since Jesus was the 'greatest sacrifice,' and thus freed us of the law. That doesn't mean that the OT is totally meaningless now, it's just that it's not in force as it was. The NT makes this quite clear, and it is not just random people define what to believe and what not to believe. At least it shouldn't be.

Such a misunderstanding you have. Jesus himself said I have not come to destroy the law.

Not sure why there's so much discussion about such a simple topic. :huh: Students might as well have just been sticking fingers in their ears and going la-la-la-la.

It's a shame that some students these days aren't respectful enough to sit through his speech and actually engage in a debate with him later, instead choosing to walk out like they have some moral high ground.

Instead of being taught to learn and question, they choose to keep a closed mind and that won't get them very far in life if they can't handle people they don't agree with.

It's 2012 and people still believe in some guy with a beard, living above the clouds?

tumblr_m2nekv2Cdm1qaxtuw.jpg

Seriously, wake up.

Just a hint, telling theists to 'wake up' isn't going make them change their minds, it's just going to **** them off.

- An Agnostic Atheist.

Just a hint, telling theists to 'wake up' isn't going make them change their minds,

That's really not the goal. The goal is to convince fence sitters to jump off and run away as fast as they can in the opposite direction.

it's just going to **** them off.

That's their own problem.

Not sure why there's so much discussion about such a simple topic. :huh:

If Savage wanted a debate, he could have tried to be less blatantly insulting. I have no problem with him saying what he has to say, but it's arrogant to act like the students are ignorant because they walked out when they were insulted. Do you consider it good debating etiquette to simply declare your opponent's opinion BS? And that's not even mentioning the fact that he doesn't even grasp the subject.

If Savage wanted a debate, he could have tried to be less blatantly insulting. I have no problem with him saying what he has to say, but it's arrogant to act like the students are ignorant because they walked out when they were insulted. Do you consider it good debating etiquette to simply declare your opponent's opinion BS? And that's not even mentioning the fact that he doesn't even grasp the subject.

Those kids were getting an education about the real world. The majority of the world doesn't believe any of what's in the Bible, and he was pointing out that they themselves don't believe some portions of it as well. All those "pansy-ass" kids did was stick their head's in the sand when they walked out.

I'm sorry, but as a christian i take offense to what this savage guy and his insults to the bible, i understand everyone is entitled to freedom of speech but i sure as heck don't appreciate 2 things from this guy; 1. His assault on christian beliefs which shows the kind of person he is, not the smartest if i may say 2. shoving his beliefs down other people's throats. Dan Savage, if you're reading this good sir, read the bible, you might learn something from it.