Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

Downloading the vhd still it’s about 100gb. Once it’s done I’ll either upload it somewhere or see if booting into windows will let me mount it. Then go from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, thanks @Timan for hosting our MC server for so long. :D Also thanks @Steven P. for offering to help with a payment method going forward.

Moving forward I'm OK with chipping in a few $$ a month to get our own server. However I think there are a few logistics that need to be sorted out first. Would the server only be open to paid players? Or should we make it open to anyone like now and grant paid players some tangible in game bonus (maybe the ability to switch between creative/survival for instance). Or maybe (if there is a suitable plugin) paid players have access to flight.

So we need to find a server/host, see how much its going to cost, see how much we need!

Asas for people who pay and who dont, maybe give diffrent colour names and maybe option to use creative mode, but i always find it to tempting to use and whould get bored quicker, maybe high priority to join server if full (hhaha) like thats going to happen.

Soon as server is picked, sorted just let us know where to pay.

I'm downloading the VHD file from Timans azure server now so I'll hopefully be able to get our map off of it.

once I get my Pi up and running full time this weekend I'm going to experiment with a free host again to see if it's enough for our needs. If it does then all the better but if not then I'll calculate the logistics of setting up a paid host for us with Steve's help :)

If we go the paid route would you guys think monthly would be easier or annually? monthly I'd only need a few $ from everyone. Annually would be closer to $60-80 but we'd save around 15% overall and we wouldn't have to worry about it as often. Quarterly is an option on most hosts as well.

here is the pricing range I was looking at for a 2gb ram server:

image.thumb.png.3a3f3370b14dd1b48c9888b0ec391569.png

(too bad minecraft client/server doesn't work on ARM otherwise I'd be willing to host it right on my Pi since I'm getting the 8gb model lol)

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

I'm downloading the VHD file from Timans azure server now so I'll hopefully be able to get our map off of it.

once I get my Pi up and running full time this weekend I'm going to experiment with a free host again to see if it's enough for our needs. If it does then all the better but if not then I'll calculate the logistics of setting up a paid host for us with Steve's help :)

If we go the paid route would you guys think monthly would be easier or annually? monthly I'd only need a few $ from everyone. Annually would be closer to $60-80 but we'd save around 15% overall and we wouldn't have to worry about it as often. Quarterly is an option on most hosts as well.

here is the pricing range I was looking at for a 2gb ram server:

image.thumb.png.3a3f3370b14dd1b48c9888b0ec391569.png

(too bad minecraft client/server doesn't work on ARM otherwise I'd be willing to host it right on my Pi since I'm getting the 8gb model lol)

You can run it on a PI; I’ve done it before. Though it ran like garbage. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/setup-minecraft-server-raspberry-pi/

good news, the VHD file finally finished downloading and I'm currently extracting our world folder from it. our world is a little more than 6gb so that really shows the time we've put into it.

thanks again @Timan for your assistance recovering these files :) 

ok so while trying to upload our wold to the free host I was messing with it appears they have a 1gb upload limit and a 4gb overall world size limit so paid server it is :D

let me know what kind of billing cycle sounds best and I'll work with @Steven P. to set it up so the donations can go towards it :) 

Could probably get that down to 2-3gb if the world editors were easier to use, most of our worlds are made up of dead chunks created while exploring, if you have a link for it I wouldn't mind a copy of the latest server for testing purposes. :D 

I wouldn't mind a copy too if it was available.

OK, so how many are willing to stump up a few $$ per quarter (probably best option), so we can get an idea of how much we'll need to pay.

Also, I checked out MelonCube hosting as shown above, and there is the option of various server packs if we want to not go plain old vanilla. Any thoughts on that? Looks like there is a small up front fee (about $6) but the cost is the same otherwise.

yeah I can upload a zipped up copy of our current world to me.ga or another host that allows larger files when I get home tonight :)

I'll also start up a poll when I get home to help us determine how many will be willing to contribute and what each price point will look like based on the RAM options we choose.

Quarterly does sound like a good middle ground that we should be able to handle as a group I agree so that helps with part of the decision.

• Like 2

I not too fussed about the map, but wouldn't mind the seed as I like to look up slime chunks and the like. 

In terms of hosting, I agree that quarterly or semi annually makes sense to lower the number of times we need to get donations. I haven't heard of meloncube before, but I have used cubedhost, and they were very good, but they're not the cheapest. I did look at https://www.reddit.com/r/admincraft/comments/hiqj6x/subreddit_info_and_july_hosting_discussion/ and there wasn't any specific mention of them. There are lots of other hosts listed there too.

Just now, illumination said:

I not too fussed about the map, but wouldn't mind the seed as I like to look up slime chunks and the like. 

In terms of hosting, I agree that quarterly or semi annually makes sense to lower the number of times we need to get donations. I haven't heard of meloncube before, but I have used cubedhost, and they were very good, but they're not the cheapest. I did look at https://www.reddit.com/r/admincraft/comments/hiqj6x/subreddit_info_and_july_hosting_discussion/ and there wasn't any specific mention of them. There are lots of other hosts listed there too.

meloncube looks to be one of the best middle ground hosts from the research I did; not the best but far from the worst and good pricing. the other host I was looking at was shockbyte; they're marked at one of the best but in addition to the normal monthly/quarterly fee they also charge per GB on world size which I don't personally like.

BisectHosting is another host I'm considering. would be about $26.95 quarterly for 2gb on them but they have quite a few benefits such as unlimited NVME storage and free backups for that price

edit: actually that's only $4 more than melonhost and better offerings and reviews so yeah I think I'll go with BisectHosting when we get everything setup :)

Okay, I have a PayPal account setup specifically for funding our server now.

I'll post this in advance here and will be putting together the Poll when I get home to decide the amount of RAM we want and such for the server and how much it will cost. Feel free to contribute in advance :)

https://paypal.me/NeowinMC

Maybe you should front page this, more people tend to see it on front page news then in forums but ill be donating £10 Pounds tomorrow, thats for myself and my daughter (jessicajm)

8 hours ago, Nuculi said:

Maybe you should front page this, more people tend to see it on front page news then in forums but ill be donating £10 Pounds tomorrow, thats for myself and my daughter (jessicajm)

This is more of a fan project, the funding for it and PayPal is not managed by Neowin and the previous server wasn't either.

It's very shaky ground when monetary donations come into the picture and Neowin is a LLC operated in the US. I support and trust the people behind the project but beyond that we can't do a lot more than give blessing. 

Thanks @Slugsie and @illumination. your contributions along with my own gives us enough to almost cover a 2nd quarter as well :)

anyone else who wishes to please feel free to donate as well as that will help cover future payments the more we get.

I'll start registering and setting up the new server when I get home tonight and have @DaveLegg switch the DNS to the new IP when I get it and we should be back up and running before we know it (Y)

• Like 2

Have you thought on hosting the server in France or Canada? I think most players are UK based, so France might be a better option on average. Although there's probably not much in it.