Windows 8 From a Mac User's perspective

I agree vitorio, that view does suck. I think it would have be much easier to transition if they wouldn't have dorked with the (non-customizable) sorting. In Windows Explorer, icons are arranged left to right, then top to bottom. In Metro, they flipped it to top to bottom then left to right - which makes sense for more vertically oriented screens (like WP) but is contradictory on 16:9 widescreen aspects of the Desktop and even the Surface.

In fact, I haven't seen such terrible view options since the Finder...

FWIW I had read an article about how horizontal scrolling is more natural and easier on eyes than vertical scrolling. No, it wasn't from Microsoft or affiliates(read it 2-3 years ago). I will see if I can find a link to it.

Not sure what that study was based on, but having experienced both I vastly prefer vertical scrolling.

Left to right apps finally take advantage of widescreens' extra space. Can't say that about websites, ever.

I like Windows 8 a lot but I don't recall this happening in Win 7. I was playing Elemental: Fallen Enchantress last night and when I moved my cursor on the right side to scroll across the map, the cursor came out and onto my second monitor. I have noticed this on other RTS games as well. Why does this work fine in Win 7 but not 8? Does this have to do with the charms on the right?

Left to right apps finally take advantage of widescreens' extra space.

You know what else takes advantage of widescreens' extra space? Windows (as in a window, the UI element).

You know what else takes advantage of widescreens' extra space? Windows (as in a window, the UI element).

Considering many apps are built to copy website functions, and not OS functions, I fail to see your what you're getting at.

FWIW I had read an article about how horizontal scrolling is more natural and easier on eyes than vertical scrolling. No, it wasn't from Microsoft or affiliates(read it 2-3 years ago). I will see if I can find a link to it.

Not sure what that study was based on, but having experienced both I vastly prefer vertical scrolling.

Left to right apps finally take advantage of widescreens' extra space. Can't say that about websites, ever.

Here it is: http://www.thinkingforaliving.org/archives/5469

Considering many apps are built to copy website functions, and not OS functions, I fail to see your what you're getting at.

My point was that the horizontal space available could be taken to good use already by keeping multiple websites open at the same time, or one website combined with whatever other windows you choose to keep visible and available. So whether you consider apps that lay their content out from left to right and make you scroll horizontally to be a feature at all, in the context of widescreen displays it's only really relevant if you put the app into full-screen mode. Which you aren't forced to do, unless you're in TileWorld.

Indeed, and i just got word yesterday that one of the makers of a popular start menu replacement is trying very hard to enter into an agreement with our stores and one OEM to have their start menu pre-installed and set as default for windows 8 because pc sales have taken such a horrible turn for the worse since windows 8 was released, this is only for certain models but covers over 50% of projected sales.

If it happens I'm sure sales would be given a much needed boost.

Want to know why?

Because peoples are really affraid to try out something new. Just because peoples are affraid to try out something new doesn't means that the new things is bad.

I was actually against Windows 8 quite alot in the beginning. But i decided to give Windows 8 a good go in VirtualBox while it was Beta to try it out before i decided to buy it and use it on my laptop.

And it turned out that i could actually be more effective with Windows 8 in the way i use Windows over Windows 7. Instead of pressing the Start Button (in Windows 7) and then press the run button, then i can just press the Windows Key + R to instantly go to the run command. It's much easier. This kind of things made me to buy Windows 8 Pro for the whole 22 dollar lol.

Once you learn those shortcuts, then Windows 8 will be much easier and much faster to use.

Anyone who have used at least 3-4 hours with Windows 8 will like it when they find out how much better it is to use Windows 8 when you have learned all of the shortcuts.

My point was that the horizontal space available could be taken to good use already by keeping multiple websites open at the same time, or one website combined with whatever other windows you choose to keep visible and available. So whether you consider apps that lay their content out from left to right and make you scroll horizontally to be a feature at all, in the context of widescreen displays it's only really relevant if you put the app into full-screen mode. Which you aren't forced to do, unless you're in TileWorld.

I do keep multiple websites open... in tabs. Otherwise, my browser is fullscreen, showing one at a time. I run everything fullscreen. It doesn't take much effort to alt-tab.

Want to know why?

Because peoples are really affraid to try out something new. Just because peoples are affraid to try out something new doesn't means that the new ting is bad.

I was actually against Windows 8 quite alot in the beginning. But idecided to give Windows 8 a good go in VirtualBox while it was Beta to try it out before i decided to buy it and use it on my laptop.

And it turned out that i could actually be more effective with Windows 8 in the way i use Windows over Windows 7. Instead of pressing the Start Button (in Windows 7) and then press the run button, then i can just press the Windows Key + R to instantly go to the run command. It's much easier. This made me to buy Windows 8 Pro for the whole 22 dollar lol.

Once you learn those shortcuts, then Windows 8 will be much easier and much faster to use.

Anyone who have used at least 3-4 hours with Windows 8 will like it when they find out how much better it is to use Windows 8 when you have learned all of the shortcuts.

The keyboard shortcuts are great and if it works for you then all the better, problem is the average consumer isn't at all interested in learning keyboard shortcuts in this world of click-n-go, part of my job as sales manager is to show potential customers how to use the metro interface and as soon as I mention keyboard shortcuts their attention goes right out the window.

I think the greatest shortcut is not even a keyboard shortcut at, simply right click bottom left, many customers who were on the fence decided to make a purchase because of that mouse shortcut alone, so much in fact that it is the first thing that I show them and it certainly keeps their attention.

It's not at all about being "afraid" of change, change should be for the better but in the case of metro it's for the worse, while most neowin posters including myself can easily adapt to the metro interface and use it daily without any trouble the average consumer wants nothing to do with it at all, this is noted in the massive drop in sales over the last 45 days at all the stores in our chain, people are avoiding metro at all costs, this time last year we were selling a minimum of 20 machines a day just during my shift alone, now we will be lucky to have sold 5, while some of that can rightfully be blamed on the economy most of it is due to consumers wanting nothing to do with metro, not because they are afraid of it, they realize right away that it's a huge step backwards in productivity overall.

Instead of pressing the Start Button (in Windows 7) and then press the run button, then i can just press the Windows Key + R to instantly go to the run command. It's much easier. This kind of things made me to buy Windows 8 Pro

Win-R is not a new shortcut, you know?! :huh:

Win-R is not a new shortcut, you know?! :huh:

I know.

problem is the average consumer isn't at all interested in learning keyboard shortcuts in this world of click-n-go

Learning new things is a part of our life. If they have a fobia against learning new things, then i'm afraid they will get into many troubles in their lives.

I know.

Then how can this be something that made you buy Windows 8? Or are you just appreciative of the fact that Windows 8's mystery meat navigation nudges you to use shortcuts?

Then how can this be something that made you buy Windows 8? Or are you just appreciative of the fact that Windows 8's mystery meat navigation nudges you to use shortcuts?

Because with Windows 7, you would normally use the start button and then use the run button there even if you can just use WIN button + R there to.

The only thing i use the start menu in WIndows 7 to, is to use the Run functionality and use the Reboot / Shut Down button.

And since i can do those things much faster and easier in Windows 8, then why shouldn't i go for Windows 8 when i don't need the start button there (because infact, it's just in the way) and when Windows 8 are faster and boots up faster than Windows 7?

And Windows 8 is also more secure than Windows 7. Not by alot, but it's still more secure.

Because with Windows 7, you would normally use the start button and then use the run button there even if you can just use WIN button + R there to.

The only thing i use the start menu in WIndows 7 to, is to use the Run functionality and use the Reboot / Shut Down button.

And since i can do those things much faster and easier in Windows 8

You can't do it faster and easier on Windows 8. You only seem to think so because Windows 8 takes away your ability to use the allegedly more cumbersome (yet discoverable and obvious) alternative that used to exist on Windows 7, and so you've been forced to adapt your approach to performing those actions.

If anything, shutting down the computer is both more difficult and slower . What is your faster and easier way to do that on Windows 8 compared to Windows 7?

then why shouldn't i go for Windows 8 when Windows 8 are faster than Windows 7 and boots up faster than Windows 7 to?

And Windows 8 is also more secure than Windows 7. No0t by alot, but it's still more secure.

Those are of course all valid reasons to choose a new OS.

You can't do it faster and easier on Windows 8. You only seem to think so because Windows 8 takes away your ability to use the allegedly more cumbersome (yet discoverable and obvious) alternative that used to exist on Windows 7, and so you've been forced to adapt your approach to performing those actions.

If anything, shutting down the computer is both more difficult and slower . What is your faster and easier way to do that on Windows 8 compared to Windows 7?

Those are of course all valid reasons to choose a new OS.

Ewww ok?

Takes me almost instantly to press the key combination WIN + R, while i have to move my mouse to the start button and press the start button and then move my mouse over to the run botton and press the run button. Pressing WIN + R and get the run command up instantly is more easier and faster than going the Start Button way.

Again, no one would EVER use the WIN + R key combination when we have the start button in Windows 7. That's the point. And if they actually ARE using the shortcut combinations in Windows 7, then what are the problems with Windows 8 then?

If you learn those shortcuts in Windows 8, it is actually quite alot faster to use. Those who sayno to this haven't tried Windows 8 out good.

people are avoiding metro at all costs

Strangely enough, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 sales continue to disprove your drivel.

Takes me almost instantly to press the key combination WIN + R, while i have to move my mouse to the start button and then move my mouse over to the run botton. Pressing WIN + R and get the run command up instantly is more easier and faster than going the Start Button way.

I don't disagree with that. At least once you are aware of and have gotten used to performing that shortcut.

Again, no one would EVER use the WIN + R key combination when we have the start button.

That's ridiculous. There is an argument to be made for Microsoft to make shortcuts more discoverable in some instances, but if you are aware of the shortcut, and if using it is easier and faster, why wouldn't people take advantage of that? Shortcuts are a power user feature. You usually start out by gradually moving from pure mouse usage to integrating shortcuts into your workflow for regularly used commands where it makes sense. By forcing people to use shortcuts, you expect them to instantly behave like a power user of the system.

And if they actually ARE using the shortcut combinations in Windows 7, then what are the problems with Windows 8 then?

If they are, then they obviously won't miss that entry in Windows 8's non-existent Start menu. But neither is the fact that it's gone a selling point for Windows 8.

That's ridiculous. There is an argument to be made for Microsoft to make shortcuts more discoverable in some instances, but if you are aware of the shortcut, and if using it is easier and faster, why wouldn't people take advantage of that? Shortcuts are a power user feature. You usually start out by gradually moving from pure mouse usage to integrating shortcuts into your workflow for regularly used commands where it makes sense.

I wouldn't really call my mom for a power user. She wanted a new computer in a form of a laptop. So she bought pretty much the same laptop as i have, except that my mom's laptop was shipped with Windows 8 Pro (mine was shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium) and have an Intel Core i5 CPU while mine have Intel Core i7 and my mom's laptop have 4 GB with RAM while mine have 8 GB with RAM.

Took me one time to show her how to get to the 'Shutdown Windows' menu by pressing Alt + F4. She haven't asked me for help when it's about that since then. If you are willing to learn, then you will learn the shortcuts in Windows 8 extremely fast.

I wouldn't really call my mom for a power user. She wanted a new computer in a form of a laptop. So she bought pretty much the same laptop as i have, except that my mom's laptop was shipped with Windows 8 Pro (mine was shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium) and have an Intel Core i5 CPU while mine have Intel Core i7 and my mom's laptop have 4 GB with RAM while mine have 8 GB with RAM.

Took me one time to show her how to get to the 'Shutdown Windows' menu by pressing Alt + F4. She haven't asked me for help when it's about that since then. If you are willing to learn, then you will learn the shortcuts in Windows 8 extremely fast.

Trust me. Most regular people are not willing to learn shortcuts to get around an OS. Your mom seems to be exceptional in that regard.

If you learn those shortcuts in Windows 8, it is actually quite alot faster to use.

For some reason you are, again, assuming that you would only learn the shortcuts for Windows 8, but not Windows 7?! And isn't it better to have both the option to use a system in a possibly slightly more inefficient but instantly discoverable way as well as in a less discoverable but more efficient way? Is there anything, specifically, that you can do faster in Windows 8 than in Windows 7 if you know the shortcuts for both systems?

Trust me. Most regular people are not willing to learn shortcuts to get around an OS. Your mom seems to be exceptional in that regard.

For some reason you are, again, assuming that you would only learn the shortcuts for Windows 8, but not Windows 7?! And isn't it better to have both the option to use a system in a possibly slightly more inefficient but instantly discoverable way as well as in a less discoverable but more efficient way? Is there anything, specifically, that can you do faster in Windows 8 than in Windows 7 if you know the shortcuts for both systems?

I can tell you right away that my mom is pretty bad when it comes to computers. She asks me about everything she sees almost. But the world is going forward she say, so she have to learn new things as new things comes out. That's pretty much how our life is today.

Peoples that have troubles with that statement is not normal peoples.

she have to learn new things as new things comes out. That's pretty much how our life is today.

Peoples that have troubles with that statement is not normal peoples.

Absolutely. It's necessary and beneficial to learn new things. Maybe you should teach her Linux one of these days, introduce her to the command line maybe? You wouldn't believe how efficiently a CLI can be used in some instances. ;)

Absolutely. It's necessary and beneficial to learn new things. Maybe you should teach her Linux one of these days, introduce her to the command line maybe? You wouldn't believe how efficiently a CLI can be used in some instances. ;)

Those were the days... plugging away on an old VAX mainframe using a VT52 or a VT100...

Strangely enough, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 sales continue to disprove your drivel.

And strangely enough neither you or any of the other microsoft zealots have yet to produce anything of merit to show that consumers are buying machines with windows 8 on them.