Just how many people hate Windows 8?

BoDEAN

If people don't like Windows 8, then DON'T USE IT. No reason to keep posting antihate windows 8 threads.........

I use Windows 8, no touchscreen, and have no issues at all.

• Like 1
COKid

If people don't like Windows 8, then DON'T USE IT. No reason to keep posting antihate windows 8 threads.........

True. Windows 7 will be supported until 2020, so those people who are content with it, like myself, can have an updated, kickass OS for almost 7 more years. Those who prefer Windows 8 can use that. Honestly, I really don't see what all the arguing is about. We can all be happy, ya know.

And I'll add this: Those of us who have made the choice to remain with Windows 7 are not necessarily against change. That is a completely simplistic and childish conclusion. We may simply prefer Windows 7. It's called taste, and we all have our own unique version of it.

Sheesh, some of you blokes needs to get out more. There is a world beyond computers. You dig? ;)

PGHammer

I don't have a touch-screen, either, and demoted 7 to VM-only use back with the Consumer Preview.

Right now, I have 8 Pro and Server 2012 Standard in dual-boot and have Blue 9364 in two VMs on the 8 Pro side (vmWare vs. Oracle VB) and one on the Server 2012 side.

I have every application I used to run in 7 (other than ones that got mooted by included software in 8) along with all the games I ran in 7 running just fine. Not some - not most - but all.

I've added more software (applications, utilities, and games) - and they are all over the map. Some are traditional, some are ModernUI, and some are even one of each. (You are reading that correctly - despite running on a desktop, with a 23-inch display, there are use cases for ModernUI applications and games - sometimes, even running an application in a window on a display that large is too small.)

At the end of the day, the thing I like MOST about Windows 8 is that it isn't a cage. I'm not as limited as I would be by (believe it or not) Windows 7, let alone WindowsRT. In Windows 7, the bars of the cage are built not just by the hardware of my PC, but by the APIs supported by the operating system - the same applies (naturally) to WindowsRT. Windows 8 is (as I have been saying since the Developer Preview) a "superset OS" - other than the Start menu (which I don't miss one iota), how am I limited compared to Windows 7? For a lot of folks, the Start menu is a safety net - for me, it turned out to be another bar in a gilded cage. And I don't like being locked in/locked down.

I'm not typical when it comes to users of a computer - let alone users of Windows - I don't claim otherwise, either. (I have, more than once, called MYSELF an outlier.) However, there are different types of outlier users - in various individual ways, almost EVERY computer user is an outlier of some sort. The very fact that a lot of outlier users - and not all even the same SORT of outlier users - use Windows (all versions) shows a LOT about the adaptability of the operating system. Windows 8 enables me to explore, without requiring me to throw anything else away - it's 7 + RT plus. (That separates it from Linux distributions - which have little to no compatibility with even 7, and NONE with RT. I'm not an engineer - while I can write code, I'm not SuperDeveloper.) "The trend is your friend." Windows 8 follows the trend of 7 by pushing more boundaries - which is why it suits me. Some folks are quite happy in their gilded cages - that's fine. You don't have to FOLLOW the outliers and explorers; however, you shouldn't dismiss them out of hand, either.

Where would you be without them?

MorganX
Windows 8 is (as I have been saying since the Developer Preview) a "superset OS"

Yet it is Microsoft's responsibility to show consumers at all rungs, why that is a benefit to them across all genres. They have failed to do that. It is clear, they were rushed. We can only speculate as to why. A couple years from now and many refinements, they may have the upper hand. The problem is, there's much more competition in the areas MS created the Modern UI and APIs for, Tablets and Phones. They may not have a couple years as other platforms are mature and are delivering the experience people want.

Furthermore, if Microsoft actually dumbs down the Desktop (Which they have not done as the Desktop Environment is in tact and a upgrade from Windows 7) they will lose the one area in which they are dominant. There will be no reason not to embrace heterogeneous computing. I believe Microsoft realizes this and that is why they are listening to complaints from a large portion of their base.

Microsoft must be careful of disconnecting Tablets and Phones from the Desktop, on their own, which is where they are now, they cannot compete. I feel so sorry for Surface RT right now, what a great piece of hardware that I would actually run Android OS and apps on in a second if I could. Hopefully with Blue they will begin bringing these things back together. An absolutely Killer Music App that syncs Desktop/Phone/RT Tablet would do wonders in consumer land.

Apple has weathered the Windows 8 blitz without updating their iOS at all really. Now once the 8 buzz dies, they can reveal some nice iOS 7 UI improvements/updates while releasing cheap iPhones. They're in a good position. While Google is the devil, Android is quite impressive as are their higher end phones and they have ALL the apps I need from health, to banking, to peripherals.

Most of us would like to see Microsoft succeed here. Though, I'm not so sure a heterogeneous environment would be that bad after experiencing Microsoft's stubbornness and out-of-touch management and internal culture. I just don't know anymore. I'm not so sure it's good if one entity dominates such an important market to the point they can do whatever they like, regardless of how much pain or money it costs their customers to adapt. I just don't know.

Having said that, Server, and the latest Server 2k12 and Enterprise Apps have saved us millions and freed us from other tyrannical entities in Information Technology who would hold us ransom to their annual maintenance and even patches/upgrades/support (read Oracle & VMWare). I just don't know. What I do know, is things are changing, and they will probably never be the same. I see MS eventually becoming IBM. Huge, but no longer in a dominant/controlling position. Time will tell.

Detection

It is clear, they were rushed.

Im not a businessman nor part of a HUGE company, so I don't understand why MS are backed into corners for things, but things like you say, being rushed into releasing an OS that they are developing, or giving other browsers some room with the browser choice screen... I don't get it,

What is it? Is there some supreme being (Oh there is) that decides how well a company is allowed to do before choking them?

When I hear about people/companies crying that MS is bigger than them, and HAVE to include a link to their browser..... or BOO HOO HOO, its not fair, It sounds ******g ridiculous, if they are so upset, why don't they release a Desktop OS and bundle their own browser with that? (BTW I use Firefox) - I don't see why whining about companies doing better than your pwn gives you the right to prevent that company from continuing doing what they have always done.

So, if I win the lottery, and next door does not, and I buy a nice car, open a taxi rank, make money from that, and next door does not, they can cry about it and make me give my nice car back to the garage ? Just because they are not doing as well as me ?

MorganX

Im not a businessman nor part of a HUGE company, so I don't understand why MS are backed into corners for things, but things like you say, being rushed into releasing an OS that they are developing, or giving other browsers some room with the browser choice screen... I don't get it,

Remember, no matter how big, or how large the revenues, all that matters is profit margin. MS is behind in the current growth markets - Tablets, Mobile Phones. While the desktop market outnumbers those markets by a wide margin and will for the forseeable future, that is where the growth curve is (new revenue).

Add to that that current technology is putting more power in the hands of desktop users than current software can currently take advantage of, and what's the reason to upgrade if you have an i5 or higher and 8GB Ram or higher. Heck, even 6GB. How much software actually takes advantage of dual processors or more, or even hyperthreading? CPUs are so powerful, they don't need to and the OS does a good job of utilizing that for most general tasks.

They do need to become relevant in these emerging markets before they get left so far behind they will forever be irrelevant in them.

The only reason we even upgrade video cards is because PC Game developers suffer from resolutionitis. If they used their color palletes and textures more effectively, even PC games really don't need to go over 1080p unless you go multi-monitor (opinon). Remember, this is way back to school days, EGA to VGA? VGA was actually lower resolution but the expanded color pallete made it seem much more lifelike and higher quality images.

Again, I agree, there's no excuse for MS' execution here. It's a management problems, Sinofsky can't possibly have been enough. I don't really follow your browser argument though ...??????

Detection

I don't really follow your browser argument though ...??????

The browser choice screen, on Microsofts own OS, and getting fined for not forcing it when they were told to.

^^ that is where I lose understanding on how a company can be forced to add something to their own OS because it damages other companies if they don't.

IE vs FF, Chrome, Opera, etc etc etc

So, I'm the owner of Firefox, I complain to whoever that MS is taking too much of a chunk of the browser market, its not fair, I want some, tell MS they have to alter their OS to abide by my demands ?

Why? Surely MS are entitled to distribute their OS however they want? With whichever browser they like? ..... It is their own OS at the end of the day ?

The same way I don't understand how Steve Jobs can get sacked from his own company, just doesn't make any rational sense to me... My OS, or My company, if you can't compete, tough s**t make something better then

I`ll add to this, that I have done 0% research on either matters

MorganX
The browser choice screen, on Microsofts own OS, and getting fined for not forcing it when they were told to.

The same way I don't understand how Steve Jobs can get sacked from his own company, just doesn't make any rational sense to me... My OS, or My company, if you can't compete, tough s**t make something better then

I believe it has to do with competitiveness when a monopoly exists. MS cannot leverage it's desktop monopoly to dominate the browser market if it is seen as anticompetitive. In general, this is a good thing. Monopolies generally don't serve society well, historically anyway.

Jobs, that's Corporate structure, I believe the board removed him, but I'm really not sure. Once you become a corporation, the founder does not necessarily call the shots any more and can be voted out by the board depending on how things are structured.

Detection

I believe it has to do with competitiveness when a monopoly exists. MS cannot leverage it's desktop monopoly to dominate the browser market if it is seen as anticompetitive. In general, this is a good thing. Monopolies generally don't serve society well, historically anyway.

Isn't competitiveness part and parcel of businesses ?

That's what I don't understand, MS made Windows, they made IE.

Other companies didn't bother making an OS, they just made a browser, yet they have a say in what MS are allowed to do ?

Backwards IMO

If you are being beaten by a company in whatever, obviously your company is not as good as them, make it better, end of. Stop being a bitch.

• Like 1
MorganX

If you are being beaten by a company in whatever, obviously your company is not as good as them, make it better, end of. Stop being a bitch.

it is for the greater good. it's a difficult question to answer. MS did achieve their position of dominance through questionable means, though most probably don't remember. There's a reason they were subject to DOJ oversight.

Monopolies generally are not good for society, they usually get more than they paid for and not in a good way :)

Detection

it is for the greater good. it's a difficult question to answer. MS did achieve their position of dominance through questionable means, though most probably don't remember. There's a reason they were subject to DOJ oversight.

Monopolies generally are not good for society, they usually get more than they paid for and not in a good way :)

It makes me think of little village rows, a shop opens that sells the same items as another shop half a mile away already sells, they feel threatened and do everything they can to bust the new store, even if that new store sold better quality items

It's school yard, petty fights

Order_66

I'd say windows 8 is the highest sellign OS at retail to date,

Cite your source for this claim.

MorganX

It makes me think of little village rows, a shop opens that sells the same items as another shop half a mile away already sells, they feel threatened and do everything they can to bust the new store, even if that new store sold better quality items

It's school yard, petty fights

In that example, I agree with you. In the case of Microsoft, you really have to revisit history, who wants to do that, and the details of the DOJ's antitrust case, many small companies that no longer exists .... then when that's done, you have to look at how loosely patents are granted as well.

And example would be now that MS has desktop dominance, and we made them that way sure, but they decide to change the UI drastically, and kill backwards compatibility as a W32 clone gains progress. Now it will cost millions to R&R and retrain and certify. Most of that money goes to Microsoft, when everyone was quite happy with what they had. That's not anticompetitive, but that's the danger a monopoly might pose to enrich itself.

It is far too late now for anyone to pose much of a threat to MS' desktop dominance. Look how long it took to get Windows where it is. And who can afford it? Even Microsoft couldn't. It was subsidized by DOS licensing, Microsoft thanks IBM for that one. And DOS is a whole other story, I'm sure there are lots of bitter would be's out there in retirement still crying foul ;>

+Gary7

I get that not everyone will like or want to move to Windows 8. I've been getting along with it (almost) just fine since late August last year - though like primexx I found the whole UI revamp a pain at first when the Developer and Release Previews hit the web. Strangely it was the flattened desktop visual style that drew me into using Windows 8 when it was made available at RTM.

Though in terms of who is actually using Windows 8, only one other friend opted to replace Windows 7 with 8 and he's liking it as well. Everyone else is on 7 or various Linux distros, excluding the horde of Mac users seen on campus. Keeping in mind we're all computer science students with access to DreamSpark Premium, it's not a huge monetary investment to upgrade - even then, some friends don't really see the point of moving to 8 and even can't be arsed to claim their free keys on DSP.

But I understand it's their choice, and 7 is just fine for them.

What I don't understand is people making much ado about trivial matters when the subject of 8 comes up - whether for or against.

This is a forum where members have various ideas on things like Windows. If you can't understand that an OS is not a trivial choice then maybe Neowin needs to close or change their format to something that does not involve technology.

• Like 1
NightScreams

This is a forum where members have various ideas on things like Windows. If you can't understand that an OS is not a trivial choice then maybe Neowin needs to close or change their format to something that does not involve technology.

I agree with Dennis cause it's page 25 and Windows 8 is still Windows 8 and will be even on page 2000. Point i'm making is we are beating a dead horse to the point that it is mush now. If we discuss Linux or Mac then it's something else, it's always something.

+Gary7

I agree with Dennis cause it's page 25 and Windows 8 is still Windows 8 and will be even on page 2000. Point i'm making is we are beating a dead horse to the point that it is mush now. If we discuss Linux or Mac then it's something else, it's always something.

OK I hate Linux and all Apple Products. And you are quite wrong by page 2000 it will be Windows Blue or Windows 8.01 then 9 then 10. MS';s goal is to do away with the desktop. Why do you think they made the surface? Whatever they do it will still suck.

• Like 1
NightScreams

OK I hate Linux and all Apple Products. And you are quite wrong by page 2000 it will be Windows Blue or Windows 8.01 then 9 then 10. MS';s goal is to do away with the desktop. Why do you think they made the surface? Whatever they do it will still suck.

Even the most valid points can only be reiterated so many times, who are you convincing that it will suck? yourself? me? Now make sure you reword your points over and over like everyone else here and let's see where we stand in life. I have a feeling that every poster here thinks and feels the same way about Windows 8 now, that they did on page 1....crap, see...now you got me doing the same thing, re wording the same points as if it would mean anything, that's how these discussions go, always having to explain and re explain a point that should be obvious, so i'll shut up now.

+Gary7

Even the most valid points can only be reiterated so many times, who are you convincing that it will suck? yourself? me? Now make sure you reword your points over and over like everyone else here and let's see where we stand in life. I have a feeling that every poster here thinks and feels the same way about Windows 8 now, that they did on page 1....crap, see...now you got me doing the same thing, re wording the same points as if it would mean anything, that's how these discussions go, always having to explain and re explain a point that should be obvious, so i'll shut up now.

You seem to miss the point of what a forum is for. To discuss issues, likes and dislikes. If the management here thought this was going on for 2000 pages they would have locked it by now .

heatlesssun

Microsoft isn't trying to do away with the desktop, they are trying to transform it into something that everyone doesn't already have that's 30 years old. Ironically for all of those bemoaning or predicting the end of the desktop, the new UI and apps are built on exactly the same base technology as much of the desktop, COM, a twenty year old component architecture. The desktop that we currently know in Windows will be there for many, many years, there's no practical way to simply "do away with it."

That's not to say that Microsoft isn't looking at a way to make it fit in more with current technologies, Windows has always done that, but those technologies have always been about the desktop and keyboard and mouse operation until the iPad for most people.

+Gary7

Microsoft isn't trying to do away with the desktop, they are trying to transform it into something that everyone doesn't already have that's 30 years old. Ironically for all of those bemoaning or predicting the end of the desktop, the new UI and apps are built on exactly the same base technology as much of the desktop, COM, a twenty year old component architecture. The desktop that we currently know in Windows will be there for many, many years, there's no practical way to simply "do away with it."

That's not to say that Microsoft isn't looking at a way to make it fit in more with current technologies, Windows has always done that, but those technologies have always been about the desktop and keyboard and mouse operation until the iPad for most people.

OK you can do your gaming on your tablet or Surface. I wil stick with my PC. Oh wait MS makes Xbox's.. Coincidence? I think not. Rememnber the OP wanted to know how many people hated Windows 8 and now he is finding out? I did not se such threads when 7 came out??

Growled

iMS did achieve their position of dominance through questionable means, though most probably don't remember. There's a reason they were subject to DOJ oversight.

So true. Most people here seem to see Microsoft from the 2000's as the only version the world has ever seen, and that's not true. Back in the day MS was ruthless. A lot of older computer users, including me, still remembers those days and we still don't trust MS that much.

PGHammer

"The greater good"? Please - you aren't Albus Percival Wulfric Brian DumbAsADoor (Dumbledore) - and even HE didn't practice what he preached when his own ox got gored (and by his own former lover, Gellert Grindlewald).

Further, a Web browser was included with the original Windows 95 (IE 1.x) - the issue was that it was a VERY bad browser; therefore, (according to you), Microsoft had to let a bad product languish?

Basically, it's hypocrisy defined (two sets of rules - one for me and mine, and another set for everyone else; the first set is not up for debate, while the second is free to be modified - for the worse - without either debate OR vote).

Yuhong Bao

So true. Most people here seem to see Microsoft from the 2000's as the only version the world has ever seen, and that's not true. Back in the day MS was ruthless. A lot of older computer users, including me, still remembers those days and we still don't trust MS that much.

My personal favorite is the MS OS/2 2.0 fiasco:

http://yuhongbao.blogspot.ca/2012/12/about-ms-os2-20-fiasco-px00307-and-dr.html

"The greater good"? Please - you aren't Albus Percival Wulfric Brian DumbAsADoor (Dumbledore) - and even HE didn't practice what he preached when his own ox got gored (and by his own former lover, Gellert Grindlewald).

Further, a Web browser was included with the original Windows 95 (IE 1.x) - the issue was that it was a VERY bad browser; therefore, (according to you), Microsoft had to let a bad product languish?

Basically, it's hypocrisy defined (two sets of rules - one for me and mine, and another set for everyone else; the first set is not up for debate, while the second is free to be modified - for the worse - without either debate OR vote).

IE1 was not included at least in retail versions of Win95. Anyone remember having to download a browser via FTP?

MorganX

First, the web browser, was the example used, the conversation was about monopolies and monopolistic practices in general as well as corporate structure as it relates to Jobs.

Monopolies and their negative effects on society, even capitalist society is forever memorialized in real life history which is why these laws evolved, regardless off your personal feelings or politics.