Just how many people hate Windows 8?

Detection

Windows 8 is targeted to all Windows users aged 2-7

Fixed that for ya

• Like 5
fenderMarky

19 pages of hate only for the new start screen... some people should turn off pc and starts living a real life.

• Like 1
+warwagon

19 pages of hate only for the new start screen... some people should turn off pc and starts living a real life.

Says the guy who contributed to a 19 page thread on page 19

• Like 1
Growled

If it was a toy, it would have a much better shot at becoming a mainstream OS :p

Better look out, here comes Chromebooks. :D

francescob

I just figured out why I kept toasting DVDs and even a couple expensive DL Blu-rays: Windows 8 thought it was cool to start automatic maintenance (that includes defragmentation) as soon as the computer was idling, causing a buffer underrun in the burning program that kept stopping&resuming the burning process and causing some discs to end up unreadable. Isn't it amazing what modern operating systems can do? My Win8 experience is improving every new day, not!

seta-san

other than that windows 8 is the best version of windows ever. I personally love the new version of windows explorer. I get to enjoy windows 8 with classic shell.

dvb2000

the next person that tells me that the Office Ribbon was a bad idea will get kicked.

I hate Office Ribbon. Still to this day much prefer the traditional interface (and I use office 2010 multiple times every day)!

subcld

Fixed that for ya

ya because big boys whine 24/7 over a little menu while people aged 2-7 accept new approach on how 2013 OS should look like and move on with their lives.

• Like 1
Elliot B.

I use Windows 8 with Start8, and I haven't noticed any difference in usability or performance since Windows 7.

It's practically Windows 7 with touch capabilities. Mostly pointless for the average/above average desktop user.

Eric

[Thread cleaned]

Please do not cross-post in different forums.

Geoffrey B.

I use Windows 8 with Start8, and I haven't noticed any difference in usability or performance since Windows 7.

It's practically Windows 7 with touch capabilities. Mostly pointless for the average/above average desktop user.

I agree about the comparison to Windows 7 with touch capabilities, I have been using Windows 8 on a laptop without touch abilities and it has been rather nice. I do not need start8 as i rarely used the start menu before as i always used Launchy before, Now I just hit the windows Key and type a few letters and hit enter and it opens whatever I want.

dr_crabman

Nice generalization... Grow up...

And on a SSD, 8 is no faster than anything else. And being that 8 is new and many drivers haven't been updated for it, it's absolutely not the most stable OS. Use facts, please...

You and facts? Funny stuff. W8 is faster than 7 even on a SSD and generally uses less resources, boot times are much better for example (that's not saying 7 was slow). And basically all relevant drivers have been updated months ago, I am missing nothing.

Detection

You and facts? Funny stuff. W8 is faster than 7 even on a SSD, boot times are much better for example (that's not saying 7 was slow). And basically all relevant drivers have been updated months ago, I am missing nothing.

Disable fast boot, 8 is no faster than 7 in boot times

dr_crabman

Disable fast boot, 8 is no faster than 7 in boot times

1. Why should I do that?

2. It's still a bit faster.

Elliot B.

You want facts? Funny. W8 is faster than 7 even on a SSD, boot times are much better for example (that's not saying 7 was slow). And basically all relevant drivers have been updated months ago, I am missing nothing.

Boot time is no different on my UEFI, 3570K, SSD, 8 GB RAM machine than it was with Windows 7. Neither is shutdown.

Maybe it's faster with slower systems (e.g. the average family laptop) but there was no different on my PC. It reminds me of the Vista speed issue - I had a fast PC during that era also and 7 was no faster than Vista for me.

• Like 3
Detection

1. Why should I do that?

2. It's still a bit faster.

1. Because its smoke and mirrors

2. No its not

• Like 2
dr_crabman

Boot time is no different on my UEFI, 3570K, SSD, 8 GB RAM machine than it was with Windows 7. Neither is shutdown.

I have comparable specs (2500K, 16GB) and if you're not lying there's something wrong on your end. Slower PCs profit even more but there's a measurable difference.

1. Because its smoke and mirrors

2. No its not

How can booting faster be smoke and mirriors? I can start working faster, that's a fact.

Geoffrey B.

I have comparable specs (2500K, 16GB) and if you're not lying there's something wrong on your end. Slower PCs profit even more but there's a measurable difference.

How can booting faster be smoke and mirriors? I can start working faster, that's a fact.

Because the way that Windows 8 is able to boot as fast as it does (but not after a reboot) is due to the fact it uses a modified form of hibernate

Detection

How can booting faster be smoke and mirriors? I'm can start working faster, that's a fact.

You are trying to compare a full windows 7 boot with a hybrid windows 8 boot, you can't compare two completely different things

If you want a fair comparison, have them both boot the exact same way.

I can begin driving my car much sooner if the door is already unlocked and the engine is already running vs a locked and non-running car

• Like 1
dr_crabman

You are trying to compare a full windows 7 boot with a hybrid windows 8 boot, you can't compare two completely different things

Oh yes, I can because the end result is the same. My PC is turned completely off. I press the power button. And with W8 I'm faster where I want to be while W7 doesn't offer this kind of fast boot. It's not like I am comparing Sleep vs Cold boot, we're talking about a new, exclusive feature that saves me a few seconds every day.

Astra.Xtreme

You and facts? Funny stuff. W8 is faster than 7 even on a SSD and generally uses less resources, boot times are much better for example (that's not saying 7 was slow). And basically all relevant drivers have been updated months ago, I am missing nothing.

Right.... and you clearly have plenty of "facts" to offer up...

My Xonar sound card driver is still in beta for Win 8 and has occasional static problems. Good for you that everything has been updated on your side, but the facts are that they haven't been updated across the board.

s30

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

Well I haven't used windows 7 since september and I don't want to use it either, My biggest problem with windows 7 is that it gets slower with more programs you install, I unchecked all the startup options, disabled all third party services no antivirus and yes no virus either, used windows basic theme, frequently restarted(I don't usually shut down my computer for weeks) and nothing changed, I often reinstalled my windows to get better and faster feeling but that's not the case with windows 8, all I can say win8 is still running at same speed as it did the first day I installed.

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

Well I haven't used windows 7 since september and I don't want to use it either, My biggest problem with windows 7 is that it gets slower with more programs you install, I unchecked all the startup options, disabled all third party services no antivirus and yes no virus either, used windows basic theme, frequently restarted(I don't usually shut down my computer for weeks) and nothing changed, I often reinstalled my windows to get better and faster feeling but that's not the case with windows 8, all I can say win8 is still running at same speed as it did the first day I installed.

dr_crabman

Right.... and you clearly have plenty of "facts" to offer up...

My Xonar sound card driver is still in beta for Win 8 and has occasional static problems. Good for you that everything has been updated on your side, but the facts are that they haven't been updated across the board.

While the hardware is good drivers for the Xonar cards have been notoriously sketchy since forever, the Phoebus was especially bad until the latest update (loops, outright freezes), totally independent of the OS. So it's a crapshoot if they would work better under W7. They may for you, others did have less luck.

But okay, Xonar needs more work (do they influence the stability of W8 though?), what other examples do you have? Remember you said 'many drivers' so I expect at least 5-10 more.

Detection

Oh yes, I can because the end result is the same. My PC is turned completely off. I press the power button. And with W8 I'm faster where I want to be while W7 doesn't offer this kind of fast boot. It's not like I am comparing Sleep vs Cold boot, we're talking about a new, exclusive feature that saves me a few seconds every day.

Ok buddy, you keep telling yourself that, the rest of us will continue to live in the real world

Detection

I think 'yet' is the missing word here, all OSs will slow down to some extent the more you install, but with proper maintenance you can keep them running at a decent speed, my Win 7 still runs very quickly with over a TB of programs/games installed