Just how many people hate Windows 8?

Anti-Windows 8 posts are not allowed, just kidding.

Windows 8 and Windows 7 are qually as good! Windows 8 was designed more for touch devices!

Just bored people who haven't had sex in years so they are continuously bitching about random stuff on the internet. Normal people like Windows 8.

I don't hate, I don't like why there is not a start button and also why it does not start up like Windows 7 and every other operating system since 95.

I know there are third party softwares to give me what I want, however I want it done by MS!

The switchover to touch has begun. It's unavoidable it will augment many desktop systems in a few years. Kids today are growing up with touch, the way we grew up with the mouse.

Funny, every kid I know hates having finger prints all over their screen while watching HD movies such as Wreck It Ralph.... Just because you like it, doesn't mean kids like it, although similar mentalities and all..

Just bored people who haven't had sex in years so they are continuously bitching about random stuff on the internet. Normal people like Windows 8.

Actually, I got laid about 40 minutes ago, only bitch when the coolaid gets passed around, hate Windows 8, but yet, no, I'm not normal. I'm not a sheep like all the others that say "change is always good". Almost sounds like we have a bunch of scientologists on here.

Which is evidenced by the tepid sales, and general consumer dislike?

Oh wait...

Actually, I got laid about 40 minutes ago, only bitch when the coolaid gets passed around, hate Windows 8, but yet, no, I'm not normal. I'm not a sheep like all the others that say "change is always good". Almost sounds like we have a bunch of scientologists on here.

Humping your bed doesn't count :rolleyes:

To be honest I rarely even see my machine boot, I can see it being handy for laptops and tablets if you're out and about and need some info quickly, but I just come downstairs in the morning, hit power, and go get washed and make a cuppa, by the time i'm done getting ready, its all booted and ready to use anyway, so my computer booting in 3 seconds makes as little difference to me as it would if it took 5 minutes to boot

Wait, why exactly were you even discussing boot times then and trying to crap on my objective observations with childish replies? Ever do a direct comparison yourself? Don't even own an SSD? Wow. It explains you clueless jabbering though and as I said it's symptomatic for W8 haters that they can't admit the OS does something, anything better. So yeah, just ignore me in the future.

Is there any company out there that does a good job with driver updates? :/

Sure but no sound card manufacturer I've met in the last 20 years, don't know what's so difficult about them.

haha if you actually _hate_ Windows 8, you sir have problems and should see a shrink if inanimate objects cause hatred in you.

I don't. It doesn't stop me from doing anything I was doing with Windows 7. It boots faster. It hibernates faster. Minimal crashes (if any, I don't remember my last). Advanced Task Manager. It was only $40 upgrade to Windows 8 Professional. Still supports all my legacy applications. What's there not to like?

fixed.

been over this many times now.

Not often enough with people who know what they're talking about (who seem to become rarer and rarer on Neowin by the day) it seems.

The thing is it doesn't matter if the computer doesn't shutdown and uses a hybrid boot.

some peopel for some inexplicable reason want to shut down their computer when not using it, for them, windows 8 starts up faster. that it doesn't do a full reset of the computer at the same time, doesn't mean crap for them.

I don't like it. The new Start menu is what really peeved me. There's no way that this is an improvement over existing methodologies of accessing my applications. I used a very similar thing like this on Ubuntu maybe as much as 4 years ago, and I didn't like it much then either. This is just another example of MS copying, like they did with sidebar for Vista and gauging the market wrong again.

Anyway why do I need all of these touch screen friendly features on my non-touch screen computer? They just seem to get in the way and force me to interact with them in ways that don't seem natural or intuitive. Microsoft should spit out their desktop OS and their mobile OS and maintain these as two distinct branches in my view, just as Apple has.

Anyway, what with Start 8 and Classic Shell and a few other tweaks to get rid of hot corners and to skip the start screen on restart, I now have an OS after nearly 14 hours of work that I think I can just about use. It looks very much like Windows 7, which I probably should have stuck with had I known what a dog's dinner Windows 8 was going to be for me.

The thing is it doesn't matter if the computer doesn't shutdown and uses a hybrid boot.

some peopel for some inexplicable reason want to shut down their computer when not using it, for them, windows 8 starts up faster. that it doesn't do a full reset of the computer at the same time, doesn't mean crap for them.

This is true, since I have a pair of 680 GTX cards and tons of other power hogging peripherals my main computer is rarely on only long enough to do whatever it is I need to do with gaming, office or whatever else.

If windows 8 were actually a decent os it would be great having it on my main for a faster startup but the cons far outweigh the pros when it comes to 8.

Then why was it such a huge failure at retail?

I bet I know...

I'd say windows 8 is the highest sellign OS at retail to date, though that's because of the low intro price to some degree. but no windows OS does well at retail as a standalone product/upgrade, very few people does upgrades. As for OEM retail on new hardware, 90% of the computers we sell here now has Windows 8 now. And once you talk to the people who don't want to buy because of Windows 8 and show them windows 8 on a demo computer, they lose the irrational hate they have had pushed on them by some family or friend geek who can't adapt to a more efficient GUI.

in general computers are selling less right now than before though, but that's a downward curve that started with the recession and has nothing to do with the OS, especially since the curve started with Windows 7.

• Like 2

My guess for MSs reasoning of offering Win 8 for such a low price to begin with would be, sell it cheap, get a load of cutting edge users to buy and install it, and spread the word to those who saw the change as too radical, and would never have even considered buying it, hopefully changing their minds and creating more sales when it went up to full price because they know barely anyone with a normal PC (which is most people) would want something like Metro when they already have a machine that works fine.

$14 / $40 for word of mouth... ?

I've got a Technet license of 8, didn't even cost me $14, and I run 7, my word of mouth tells everyone who asks, to do the same too.

Companies put things on sale for a reason. Quality is not usually one of them.

once you talk to the people who don't want to buy because of Windows 8 and show them windows 8 on a demo computer, they lose the irrational hate they have had pushed on them by some family or friend geek who can't adapt to a more efficient GUI.

Time to bring back the Mojave Experiment.

20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Not really. Look at the changes in the early Blue builds. Those are direct responses to some of the most significant non-start menu complaints. Given how stubborn MS has been, how much they bet on this mess, that's a huge customer oriented concession to the Windows user base. It's OK, and even desirable to complain and criticize, there's a lot to complain and criticize about. But when those complaints are clearly being addressed, even if at a slow pace, you have to give credit and acknowledge that as well. Quid Pro Quo!

in general computers are selling less right now than before though, but that's a downward curve that started with the recession and has nothing to do with the OS, especially since the curve started with Windows 7.

Exactly. Anyone with half a brain can realize that people aren't buying new computers (OEMs are the core business of Windows, not upgrades, as many internet trolls want you to think). Most people I know, including friends and family bought their computers in 2010-2011. Those computers still work and are useful for current tasks, there's no reason to buy a new computer for them. In fact, as long as they work, they won't be upgrading because computers have gotten fast enough (See Windows 8 system requirements, same as Windows 7). Windows 7 sold quite more because there was a real need to get the new OS: Windows XP was old, Vista didn't gain much adoption. Besides, that's when laptops gained massive worldwide adoption. Windows 8 was released in a saturated market. What people are looking to buy is new form factors: touch devices, tablets, new, faster and more capable phones.

Besides, 10% adoption of Windows 8 on Steam is excellent. You can't argue that.