Just how many people hate Windows 8?

Except the onboard GPU limitations are more of a roadblock for most PG.

Totally OT, but it would be great to see MS create a DirectPhysX API that utilized Intel HD Graphics in desktops with discrete video for Physics processing. It's a shame for all those transistors to go to waste in tens, no hundreds of millions of desktops with discrete graphics.

I got a call from a customer today and we started talking about new computers.

She said "If I do get a new computer i'll have to get one with Windows 7, because you can't get one with windows 8"

I asked.. "Why not?"

She said "Because I heard there was so many problems with Windows 8 that it's been recalled" :D

^ I wonder who started that rumor. :D

Everyone else asks me if they can use Windows 8 on their computer without a touch screen.

Everyone else asks me if they can use Windows 8 on their computer without a touch screen.

warwagon, ever heard the proverb "Assumption is the mother of all muckups"?

I would wager that a good half of the criticism is grounded in the absolutely false assumption that ModernUI is touch-only.

While ModernUI works better with touch than Win32, the fault for that isn't with ModernUI (or even Win32, for that matter) - touch interfaces predate Win32; however, they were costly, costly, costly.

Touch interfaces are less costly to implement on the hardware level than ever, and are pervasive in the portable space. While they aren't exactly hyper-cheap in the desktop space, the cost is half what it was merely when Windows 7 launched.

Even with that, touch is not exactly commonplace on desktops, and Microsoft knows it - therefore, contrary to the prevailing assumption, ModernUI, and applications that use it, are still quite usable without touch, or even with a keyboard and mouse. (While few ModernUI applications have stayed in my toolchest, keyboard/mouse support issues aren't why.)

In other words, the "prevailing wisdom" is absolutely wrong about ModernUI's usability without touch.

^ You have to admit, though, that it works better with touch. It seems more like a tablet UI than a desktop UI anyway, at least to me.

Growled, I wouldn't know that - I don't have touch support on my desktop.

However, that is precisely the point, Growled - the only reason ModernUI has touch support *at all* is because the presence of hardware supporting it is more commonplace.

What's rather amusing is that I have NO experience using Windows 8 in a touch environment. None. Not even in a retailer display. The only other Windows 8 computer I have physically seen and had hands-on with was a traditional notebook that originally came with Windows 7; an upgrade from 7, that is. (The only touch-UI OSes I have had hands-on with in terms of general usage are Android and iOS - in Android's case, I noted that keyboards and mice are also supported. That particular piece of Android-based hardware was the ASUS Transformer Prime - and is why I pointed out that it made as little sense to pigeonhole ModernUI as it did to pigeonhole Android.)

And *seems* is precisely why I made my point - perception CAN be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with someone with a Windows 8 .... Windows 8 is a phone support nightmare. Put your mouse in such in such a corner, press the windows key, press the windows key + C key. Just feels like a lot more work.

She was telling me how much she hates windows 8, then her daughter heard her say that ,and in the back ground I hear her daughter say "Windows 8 sucks!"

I don't hate it, I hate it's out of the box driver support for my laptop, and having to hunt down my chipset drivers to fix my excessive hard drive read/write response times... I tell you going from an average of 6000ms to 40ms and 0.0 - 0.7 response time while having Firefox open is a big difference.. >_>

I'm starting to wonder how many consumers actually like windows 8. Today went in to install a network card in a business computer. Because the internet on his desktop didn't work he had to use his windows 8 laptop. He kept telling me how much he hates windows 8.

I keep hearing this

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over an over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and Well you get the idea.

I'm starting to wonder how many consumers actually like windows 8. Today went in to install a network card in a business computer. Because the internet on his desktop didn't work he had to use his windows 8 laptop. He kept telling me how much he hates windows 8.

I keep hearing this

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over an over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and Well you get the idea.

It's the thing all the cool kids are saying these days.

Now since today's news of a visible start button icon being added to the task bar, people are already complaining with "I don't want this how can I hide it!".

It's literally insane....

I keep hearing this

But if you ask the fanboys they will tell you what a winner Windows 8 is and how we are doing it wrong. They can't be wrong and we can't be right.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the bar last night and the female bartender and I some how got into the discussion about computers and she had to make it very clear to me how much she HATES windows 8. She also hates it when her husband uses the computer because he's totally lost.

I'm getting into ReactOS. It'll be based upon XP/2003 officially, it's code base has been audited and contains absolutely NO MS code. As it stands right now, it will allow for pretty much all drivers and software to be installed.

I have no issue with going back to the XP/2003 subsystem and UI but, that's why we love and enjoy being able to make the look that pleases us.

besides... I can use my MS software without putting anymore money into MS's pockets. I read their site and even Vladimir Putin visited their studios for a demonstration as Russia wants to change their software/OS vendor

But if you ask the fanboys they will tell you what a winner Windows 8 is and how we are doing it wrong. They can't be wrong and we can't be right.

I read this and you hit that nail on the head. Windows 8 may be a OS to boldly go where no one has gone before but, Do we want to go there at all? -no.

My hate for using Windows 8 on a desktop grows daily. It just plain makes no sense, and makes less sense the more I use it.

Among other things, Windows 8.1 introduces a neat new calculator Metro app - woohoo! Seriously, WTF? Why in the name of all that is unholy would i ever want to run a FULL SCREEN calculator on my 30" desktop monitor? That results in an enormous, 30" calculator, which makes about as much sense as Andrea Borman on drugs. (sorry, had to!) I am completely and totally against all that is Metro. I feel that the entire idea behind full screen Metro apps is seriously flawed if you are not using a touch-enabled, hand-held device. The only Metro app I use (besides the Desktop of course - which is actually just an app) is the Remote Desktop app.

I realize that Microsoft is trying to move in the direction of a unified experience across multiple platforms (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone). But, I disagree with and honestly dislike that direction because in effect, it fundamentally changes the desktop experience for the worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I walked into one of the bars for a diet coke and the VERY first thing the male bartender says to me is "I have a question for you". He said "my daughter just got a new computer with windows 8 on it and she HATES it. Then he had questions about putting Windows 7 on it. He said her cousin told her NOT to get a computer with windows 8 because she wouldn't like it.

it's a tablet Os. period. they tried to appeal to laptop/desktop users. There will always be articles for or against windows 8. It will be interesting to see how successful it is when they develop windows 9.

I don't understand the hate thing. The only reason I could see to hate, is if it (win8) was the only choice we had, but it's not. I still use 7 and I have tested 8, true it's different but I could adapt to it. I use windows 7 because I enjoy using it and I have a choice to use what I want. I don't care what other people love or hate, I just care about myself and having a choice.

Cody Young

^ I run into a lot of people who hate Windows 8. Maybe 8.1 will address a lot of the problems that people have. I sure hope so. 

As long as there is a start screen most people will hate it.

Now since today's news of a visible start button icon being added to the task bar, people are already complaining with "I don't want this how can I hide it!".

that's because it doesn't work. All it does is take you back to the Metro screen.

The Start Button is supposed to take you to the start menu.

Pretty simple stuff.

The Start Button is supposed to take you to the start menu.

Pretty simple stuff.

You'd think so but after seeing all the arguments on the Internet about it, apparently not. 

Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. Gotta say it's not that bad. Basically, the Start menu is now just a giant screen.

And the performance is just better than that in Windows 7.

Windows 8 is a mess from the split metro/classic control panels, mouse hot corners, slow/full screen metro apps and so on.  There are good aspects like the copy dialogs and task manager but not enough to overcome the bad.  The fact that there are 2 design languages and even Microsoft doesn't know which one to use is the greatest sin.

The zune software was some of the best software design Microsoft ever did but then they decided to go so overboard on everything.  A Windows 7 type desktop experience built around the design queues of that would have been great.