Just how many people hate Windows 8?

there's only one issue with that, I know where my finger is at all times, my cursor gets lost quite often, especially when working with multiple monitors.

The issue with touch being that most apps aren't optimized for it and you will have to move your arms across even larger distances.

I don't hate Windows 8. I simply see no advantages in using it instead of Windows 7. Yes, I've given Windows 8 RTM a chance for several months. Yes, I'm following the news about Windows 8.1/Blue development. No, I'm likely not going to switch to Windows 8.1 either. And no, Windows 7 is by no means 'antiquated' yet.

Blue is already bringing requested changes.

But if Windows 8 is the best thing ever and "just works", why is Blue coming so soon after Windows 8 release?

For the same reasons you used to get the "Plus Pack" in Windows 98 etc ?? There are things which can be made better

As the saying goes - A sign of a perfect design is not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. the same principle can be applied.

After having used Server 2012 and Windows 8 a lot over the last week I have to say I'm kind of starting to like it. At first its awkward and difficult to use and things are hard to find but after a while it actually starts to make sense and actually becomes easier. I find using the keyboard much more to be useful as well

Pardon me for saying this but you're full of ****. I have to move my hand less than an inch to get my mouse cursor from one side of the screen to the other. That requires far less effort than using a touch screen.

His experience with Windows 8 must be limited to a 5" screen on his Nokia 920, and trying to attach a bluetooth mouse to that.

Your phone isn't 21.5 inches, my computer screen is.

AND his phone isn't on the other side of his desk.

Touch is far from a fad

touchscreens were introduced maybe 10 yeas ago, and failed on the desktop back then.

Nothing has changed.

• Like 1

His experience with Windows 8 must be limited to a 5" screen on his Nokia 920, and trying to attach a bluetooth mouse to that.

AND his phone isn't on the other side of his desk.

touchscreens were introduced maybe 10 yeas ago, and failed on the desktop back then.

Nothing has changed.

Perhaps you could have bothered to do some research first before you're quick to troll a post.

I have a 22 inch monitor has my primary display. It sits about two feet back from the front edge of my desk.

Also touch screens have been around far longer than 10 years. Touch technology dates back to the 70s, while touch CRT monitors have been on sale to the consumer since the late 80s, early 90s. I remember a family member had one with their Windows 98 machine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen

Also, the XP tablets I think you are referring to failed for multiple reasons, none which relate to the touch screen. XP was never meant to run on a touch screen, and two, those tablets were kludgy, and never had much support. It's the same reason Windows 7 tablets failed.

Also for those saying touch screens have no function, check the Wikipedia article above, it lists many functions and benefits of touch screen technology.

how many people would truly hate windows 8 if you installed windows 8 with classic start 8 ?

Also I have the dell 23 inch touchscreen /usb 3 dock. Its not as bad as people think to use a touch screen. for some situtations its very good

But if Windows 8 is the best thing ever and "just works", why is Blue coming so soon after Windows 8 release?

sigh... it's part of their new strategy of quick patches and updates like all other software companies are trying to get into... heck, even xbox and ps3s have seasonal updates and the like...

• Like 2

We can make a new Thread?

"How many people like watching Dot Matrix go against Neowin" ;)

On a serious note.. Why does it matter if people don't like using it? Why do others WANT us to like something so bad? People are getting offended because we don't like something..

3tn3aw.jpg

"Where's the Start menu?"

"Why don't users have the choice between using the Start MENU or Start SCREEN, and booting direct to the Desktop?"

"'CHOICE' Microsoft?"

alg-frustrated-computer-jpg.jpg

After installing Start8:

ist2_9427792-happy-computer-user.jpg

Hahaha, I find the Internet fights over it quite amusing for sure. I don't really give too much weight to the things I read on sites like this and comment sections though. I work at one of the biggest tech companies in the world, and I can't say I know a single person there who really loves Windows 8. The majority dislike it or just have no opinion. We obviously support Windows 2012 on our products, but you always here a grumble when someone has to install it and work with it.

This is a Windows site, or at least used to be more so. I would be amazed if there weren't a number of people here that were rabid fanboys trying to defend it, or even people who really do like it, but from my real world experiences, most tech people universally dislike Windows 8. I spoke to an Uncle who purchased a new Windows 8 Ultrabook. He's decent with computers and interested in tech, but not a tech guy. I asked him for a review and the overall feel I got from his descriptions were that it was confusing and that he wasn't overly impressed, but did enjoy some of the new features.

While I'm sure there are as many Windows 8 haters as there are fanboys, the majority of us have no "hate" towards Windows 8, we just see it to be a huge step backwards in terms of usabilty. Most of us realize that Windows 8 brings under the hood optimizations that some might be willing to use third party start menus to avoid the Metro junk to get. Some would rather stick back to Windows 7. I personally didn't want to lose that latest and greatest feel, but I tried more than once to switch to Windows 8 and found myself running in the opposite direction within a week each time. I chose to move to Linux Mint and so far I'm pretty happy.

• Like 2

On a serious note.. Why does it matter if people don't like using it? Why do others WANT us to like something so bad? People are getting offended because we don't like something..

It is simpler than that. The majority of folks that claim they hate it or dislike it never really give specifics, or claim the way ONE app works, or the lack of a start menu (when the whole front page is the start menu built into the OS), kills all of the OS.

No one faults folks for not liking it, they fault the crazy ways they pick one small thing, or off the wall internet 'sky is falling' hatred that is obviously the product of a well honed anti-marketing campaign.

It is simpler than that. The majority of folks that claim they hate it or dislike it never really give specifics, or claim the way ONE app works, or the lack of a start menu (when the whole front page is the start menu built into the OS), kills all of the OS.

No one faults folks for not liking it, they fault the crazy ways they pick one small thing, or off the wall internet 'sky is falling' hatred that is obviously the product of a well honed anti-marketing campaign.

Actually everyone has given specifics on why they don't like 8, but are not prepared to continue repeating it over and over when someone new asks them to specify.

There are 1001 threads on this forum with specifics if you take the time to read them.

Actually everyone has given specifics on why they don't like 8, but are not prepared to continue repeating it over and over when someone new asks them to specify.

There are 1001 threads on this forum with specifics if you take the time to read them.

You are not being honest here... not everyone has, also, those threads so full of wondrous details, are anything but.

You are not being honest here... not everyone has, also, those threads so full of wondrous details, are anything but.

Ok bud..... you wouldn't be asking people to explain in depth/detail if you had read even 10% of the threads because you would already know the reasons from the threads you have read, right ?

What you're actually saying here is, you haven't read anything, nor do you intend to, and all your 'fact' based posts are nothing more than biased assumptions based on imaginary fantasies where Windows 8 rules the PC world and nothing that anyone with any sense can say will change that 'fact'. Right ?

It doesn't MATTER why they don't like it.. Damn.. If someone doesn't like just because it has the number "8" in it.. SO BE IT lol

Who cares if there reasons don't make sense to you.. it is them that is using it..

Why does it matter to you for people to like it?

"Where's the Start menu?"

"Why don't users have the choice between using the Start MENU or Start SCREEN, and booting direct to the Desktop?"

"'CHOICE' Microsoft?"

alg-frustrated-computer-jpg.jpg

After installing Start8:

ist2_9427792-happy-computer-user.jpg

tumblr_m141ifXgY41rqfhi2o1_250.gif

I like Windows 8. I do not like metro. That is my opinion after using it for a few months. Start8 is my new favourite application. :)

If I had a touch screen then maybe I would feel differently.

Perhaps you could have bothered to do some research first before you're quick to troll a post.

I don't know why you are complaining Dot, it's clear simply by reading the subject of this thread that you deliberately created it with the intent of trolling and other stupidity.

I don't know why you are complaining Dot, it's clear simply by reading the subject of this thread that you deliberately created it with the intent of trolling and other stupidity.

The title of the thread came from the article I quoted.

The title of the thread came from the article I quoted.

Doesn't matter, you know how threads like this one end up and that's why you posted it and then complained because it ended up that way.

Neither one of you are trolling, just high strung. Let this thread fizzle out with dignity. It's been one of the better ones.

Windows 8 is the worst os microsoft ever created! I would to say, the design and gui are the killer! Windows 7 is nice and clean, but Windows 8 has two interfaces slapped together. In Windows 8, when you click on the wireless icon, it opens a metro sidebar, and when you open user accounts in the desktop it opens in metro. Windows 8 may be faster, but that does not make it a better os. Microsoft should have kept with the desktop and made a metro tablet!Removing DVD playback, the start menu and start button was the dumbest mistake Microsoft ever made, and they will regret doing that! The aero glass in windows 7 is extremely nice looked compared to the ugly matte borders in 8! Windows 8 has no place on any computer user's desktop!