Just how many people hate Windows 8?

The title of the thread came from the article I quoted.

I'd just like to point out that the quoted article actually has a slightly different title:

Just how much do people hate Windows 8?

I can see why you changed it though.

I'd just like to point out that the quoted article actually has a slightly different title:

Ut oh! Why'd it have to end this way? LOL

Ut oh! Why'd it have to end this way? LOL

We're still about ~500 comments short of the number of comments on Ed Bott's article, so I'd say his title was more succesful. ;)

lol figures

Well there is some good news. Blue appears to be improving Modern UI Search. To me, the worst part of Modern UI.

This is good, it means Microsoft is listening, there's enough dissatisfaction and vocal criticism to effect change, and lackluster sales which is probably the biggest motivator are real, and finally, Microsoft may be realizing the we are not really in a post PC era, and if we are, that's not where they are strong and won't be for a while so don't sacrifice your own supporters.

While the apps and inability to sync across devices easily are still really bad, dual screen improvements, snap view improvements, and now search improvements are good updates and that's just what we see in the early builds. So there is hope!

Clicked thread > looked for 'Yes' button on poll > No poll.... :angry:

me too, I was looking for the hell yeah button

I like Windows 8. I do not like metro. That is my opinion after using it for a few months. Start8 is my new favourite application. :)

If I had a touch screen then maybe I would feel differently.

doubt it

touch is fine for phone or tablet.

having a monitor in arms reach is not good for a lot of reasons.

It doesn't MATTER why they don't like it.. Damn.. If someone doesn't like just because it has the number "8" in it.. SO BE IT lol

Who cares if there reasons don't make sense to you.. it is them that is using it..

Why does it matter to you for people to like it?

This is an odd post response.

Why do I personally care if people don't like it? In reality I really don't I just want to understand what all the hub-bub is about for them. Also, it does matter why someone doesn't like something, because if as you say, they just don't like the 8 in it, then you know not to take them seriously in a discussion, and you can simply dismiss their ravings and banter as back ground noise.

Like I said before, people (most people) seem to either play the piper and repeat the same small things (similar to the 8 thing), and the rest just grumble I don't like it, and want to cram that down people's throat.

I have never forced people to like it, nor berated others for not, simply curious as to what they REALLY see for themselves, not just what they parrot from some thread they opened up.

Ok bud..... you wouldn't be asking people to explain in depth/detail if you had read even 10% of the threads because you would already know the reasons from the threads you have read, right ?

What you're actually saying here is, you haven't read anything, nor do you intend to, and all your 'fact' based posts are nothing more than biased assumptions based on imaginary fantasies where Windows 8 rules the PC world and nothing that anyone with any sense can say will change that 'fact'. Right ?

I told you what I have seen there already. If you are seeing SO much more than others have, care to enlighten, or maybe help us read between the lines, or point me to where you personally have stated your points, as I must have missed your pearls of wisdom in the forums? Like I said, the small things people have mentioned seem more filler arguments then issues that would cripple a use of an OS.

Also, since I made no ''fact' based posts' about why it's the best thing ever, it tells me that you are simply grumbling and itching for a fight as evident with the 'bud' comment. Also, I was curious, and you offer nothing to quench that thirst, and since it is an open call for knowledge I seek, I have no preconceived thoughts that 'are nothing more than biased assumptions based on imaginary fantasies where Windows 8 rules the PC world'. If someone could honestly open up and not just bash for bashing sake, and not be so hostile, then I would love to discuss things. Unlike how you attempt to suggest that 'nothing that anyone with any sense can say will change that 'fact'.' Which is horse hockey.

Well there is some good news. Blue appears to be improving Modern UI Search. To me, the worst part of Modern UI.

This is good, it means Microsoft is listening, there's enough dissatisfaction and vocal criticism to effect change, and lackluster sales which is probably the biggest motivator are real, and finally, Microsoft may be realizing the we are not really in a post PC era, and if we are, that's not where they are strong and won't be for a while so don't sacrifice your own supporters.

While the apps and inability to sync across devices easily are still really bad, dual screen improvements, snap view improvements, and now search improvements are good updates and that's just what we see in the early builds. So there is hope!

I don't understand why all those things were bad to begin with, all MS had to do was give 1 person from the Windows team, (or even the local alcoholic in the park) a Win 8 PC to use for a month as their only device and write down everything that needs fixing before RTM

These guys work for MS, they build the OS, and 95% of people here could have done that job perfectly

I told you what I have seen there already. If you are seeing SO much more than others have, care to enlighten, or maybe help us read between the lines, or point me to where you personally have stated your points, as I must have missed your pearls of wisdom in the forums? Like I said, the small things people have mentioned seem more filler arguments then issues that would cripple a use of an OS.

Also, since I made no ''fact' based posts' about why it's the best thing ever, it tells me that you are simply grumbling and itching for a fight as evident with the 'bud' comment. Also, I was curious, and you offer nothing to quench that thirst, and since it is an open call for knowledge I seek, I have no preconceived thoughts that 'are nothing more than biased assumptions based on imaginary fantasies where Windows 8 rules the PC world'. If someone could honestly open up and not just bash for bashing sake, and not be so hostile, then I would love to discuss things. Unlike how you attempt to suggest that 'nothing that anyone with any sense can say will change that 'fact'.' Which is horse hockey.

Yawwnn, you're getting boring, time to add to my iggy collection

These guys work for MS, they build the OS, and 95% of people here could have done that job perfectly

I wish development happened that way. Someone high up made the decisions and the lower levels had to do their best to make it so.

I wish development happened that way. Someone high up made the decisions and the lower levels had to do their best to make it so.

Well... he's gone now, so fingers crossed things improve

Leaks help MS imo, look how great 7 turned out, I think I still have a draw FULL of the leaked ISOs burned to many DVDs, my connection was so bad back then, and leaks were so regular, one had not finished downloading by the time the next arrived, I was in leak heaven

I really have no problems with text manipulation with a key/mouse. Text manipulation on any touch UI it is pretty miserable, no matter the phone or tablet.

I also agree with enough work and thought, you can create a touch UI to make most things usable. I don't think that's even debatable. The question is, can you make it more usable on a desktop, than a keyboard and mouse. And for repetitive work, that's a whole other issue.

There are many specific cases where touch is a great compliment, such as data entry, especially if much of the form is a pick list. You know, to be honest, I'm not sure Microsoft has any intention of replacing the desktop, they are trying to leverage it and they have quirked a lot of people.

I don't see the connection between text manipulations and "replacing the desktop" or not. Text manipulation with keyboard and mouse isn't compromised at all in Windows Store apps compared to desktop apps - in fact it's exactly the same. You can select with the mouse, double-click to select a word, triple-click, use arrow keys, Ctrl- or Shift- arrow, all the same.

I don't see the connection between text manipulations and "replacing the desktop" or not. Text manipulation with keyboard and mouse isn't compromised at all in Windows Store apps compared to desktop apps - in fact it's exactly the same. You can select with the mouse, double-click to select a word, triple-click, use arrow keys, Ctrl- or Shift- arrow, all the same.

I'm pretty sure what I wrote was a direct response to touch text manipulation being equivalently as difficult as text manipulation in general (with mouse). Text manipulation on a desktop with mouse is not difficult at all.

I agree. I also think management and the developers are somewhat out of touch. Having watched one of the natural input research videos I felt the researcher was clearly looking for data to support an outcome that had been dictated he better find. At one point he mentioned how a woman sat on a bed with only a wall at the head and said she, finds this the most comfortable position for the surface. Duh, the only comfortable way for a human to sit on a bed with only a wall at the head with a tablet or a book and be comfortable at all is with your legs crossed and back to the wall with book or tablet basically in lap.

I think this distorted research helped result in what we have to day. Also many say decisions were made of feedback from the OS. Well everyone I know who uses a computer more than casually, including myself, always turns off the option to provide this feedback, including in the enterprise. Only people who have no clue just click through and accept this. This may have also distorted Microsoft's view of how people who actually use the desktop, use the desktop.

Finally, just in general, their appears to be no clear visionary leadership at Microsoft.

How the Music app could have been RTM'd, Modern UI Search RTM'd, and Surface RT, WP8, and W8 RTM'd without being able to sync together just baffles the mind. They'll be fixing this mess for at least a couple years but at least there are signs now that they are listening.

MS was so desperate to make gains in Tablets and Phones in a hurry, they were easily duped into rushing everything out the door well before it was finished and refined by Tim Cook's proclamation that we are in a "Post PC Era." That lies squarely on Ballmer for not having his own vision, and for falling for that.

/opinion

I don't understand why all those things were bad to begin with, all MS had to do was give 1 person from the Windows team, (or even the local alcoholic in the park) a Win 8 PC to use for a month as their only device and write down everything that needs fixing before RTM

There is this thing about planning and capacity. ;)

if the surface system is the future.. no thanks. I like having a device that allows me to keep my data on a harddrive, be it HDD or SSD in my possession. Surface is a glorified tablet with a kindergarten snap on keyboard and that's it.

keep your tablet... I'll keep my laptop.

Well even with my rig, I still go back to Windows 7. I still boot into Windows 8 after third party driver updates to see if there are any fix's but to date, there still are too many issues. Primarily with Nvidia and other small small issues. (Intel SSD toolbox, third party sound issues) The driver issues are not Microsoft's fault but I think they should work with the major third party players to deliver better results for high end workstations.

On the other side I have had even low end client workstations totally crap out after performing modern app updates. The OS became hosed do to some issue in the computer locking up during the updates. Hopefully in 8.1 Microsoft will work more with third party's to deliver a better quality driver releases.

Overall I don't think it is a bad OS to release to touch only devices, but does need some polishing for those devices as well. If Microsoft wants to get W8+ into the enterprise, they are going to have to make the Modern Start screen optional.

Those are my thoughts, don't hate, I just state my opinion from what I have seen personally and clients who give me feedback on the enterprise level and also consumer level.

I believe Windows 8 is simply ahead of its time. Windows 8 is a touchscreen operating system that also offers a traditional desktop environment. Where most people are feeling frustrated is when trying to use the Modern UI on a traditional (non-interactive) computer. The operating system is intended to be used (at least in part) in an interactive environment. For those that have a touchscreen (desktop or laptop) - the experience is usually quite different.

That is not to say input devices such a keyboard and mouse are obsolete - rather that there is a growing segment that also wants to have some level of interactive touch control. This is more about the evolution of personal computer than anything. People want to interact with their computer the same way they do their smartphone and tablets.

Microsoft is betting that an interactive personal computing environment is the future of this technology. With the dropping prices of touchscreen monitors and the rise in popularity of all-in-one touchscreen computers and laptops - they might just be on to something.

I believe Windows 8 is simply ahead of its time. Windows 8 is a touchscreen operating system that also offers a traditional desktop environment. Where most people are feeling frustrated is when trying to use the Modern UI on a traditional (non-interactive) computer. The operating system is intended to be used (at least in part) in an interactive environment. For those that have a touchscreen (desktop or laptop) - the experience is usually quite different.

936full-idiocracy-screenshot-520x291.jpg

• Like 3

People with too much time on their hands that feel the need to complain about it every chance they get.

You don't like 8? Use 7. That simple.

This is more about the evolution of personal computer than anything. People want to interact with their computer the same way they do their smartphone and tablets.

I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. No one is clamoring for touch on their computers. It's been available for a long time. People barely use Kiosks. Touch on smartphones and tablets isn't there because people a yearning for a more interactive experience with their computing device. It's there because that's the only viable input method for those devices. You can very well have a mobile device if you have to lug around input peripherals. This also limits the devices usability, but people only want quick consumption on mobile devices.

Children do want interactivity in all things. And they find it quite enjoyable to smudge a screen and move things around with their fingers and get snot everywhere.

I love these grandiose interactivity theories but it's much simpler than that. In fact, it's physical. I think the only place other than nice applications that people want touch is say the AIO at home in the kitchen for the casual users who watch a movie and want it big while cooking or exercising, and who just facebook and email, and web browse. Even then when they write something they want a keyboard.

That doesn't mean it isn't cool to look at, nor does it mean there aren't millions of these casual users who barely use a home PC and touchscreens may be more convenient for them.

Until we all basically do a bunch of nothing on a desktop, the physical limitations and requirements of touch will keep it from being for workstation computing. One day people who actually do a lot of productive stuff on a computer will be outnumbered by general consumers but we're not close to that yet IMO.

It's there because that's the only viable input method for those devices.

That simply isn't true, even if you were born in 1999 and only experienced smartphones with touch screens. Non-touch smartphones were viable and were around for many years until the software and hardware matured and supplied the experience we have today.

That alone makes your whole post, and argument, incorrect. You might just as well argue and be one of those people that say that physical keyboard smartphones will always be superior to touch keyboards...