vcfan

Reminds me of those Linux nuts that have themselves convinced that this year will be the year of the Linux.

In fact,lets look at some stats of installed base.

http://gs.statcounte...y-201311-201316

Windows 7 53.2%

WinXP 21.58%

Mac 7.58%

Vista 6.01%

Win8 4.54%

ipad 3.83%

androidtabs 1.06%

if it was "over" windows 8 would not have completely invalidated the gains of both ipads and android tablets in the market in only 5 months. windows 8 is actually ahead and increasing at a much quicker pace than the other 2 that to say "its over" is just fanboy wishful thinking. The PC market is saturated and there is nothing Microsoft can add to windows to make the desktop part more attractive to buyers. Anything they add will be just a small feature and it wont help sell more PCs. People are shifting their dollars to touch devices because they are cheap,and have a lot of useful functions,thats why Microsoft shifted Windows 8 in the area of touch. They want to attack that market too. Desktop users are not chucking their PCs out. Touch devices are complements. WIndows 8 wants you to have one device that does all these things,but some people are hell bent on proving that their desktop doesn't need touch when the market is saying otherwise.

• Like 2
MorganX

I see your point, it's like walking and chewing gum at the same time...

Or walking in gum.

trag3dy

I still say there's nothing wrong with Win 8 that getting your head out your ass can't fix

Thank you for telling us only your opinion matters. This solves so many problems.

• Like 2
thomastmc

Or walking in gum.

I hate it when that happens.

• Like 1
MorganX

Reminds me of those Linux nuts that have themselves convinced that this year will be the year of the Linux.

In fact,lets look at some stats of installed base.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-weekly-201311-201316

Windows 7 53.2%

WinXP 21.58%

Mac 7.58%

Vista 6.01%

Win8 4.54%

ipad 3.83%

androidtabs 1.06%

if it was "over" windows 8 would not have completely invalidated the gains of both ipads and android tablets in the market. windows 8 is actually ahead and increasing at a much quicker pace than the other 2 that to say "its over" is just fanboy wishful thinking.

Linux will most likely, NEVER become a mainstream OS and has nothing to do with this IMO. Windows 8 will see massive growth over time simply because it is the current version of Windows, and sooner or later you'll have to deploy it, or buy it on a PC.

Thank you, for telling us only your opinion matters. This solves so many problems.

Don't hate. It clearly solved "his" problem.

• Like 1
Dot Matrix

Here we go again, attacking the messenger. However you feel about him, if what he wrote "this" time, mirrors the sentiments of a WHOLE LOT OF FOLKS, then what value is there in trying to silence the messenger.

Even MS is at least hinting at addressing many of these complaints in Blue. You're not going to convince many to give Windows 8 a second chance with Blue if you remain in denial that issues exist for many.

That messenger has been crying wolf for years.

• Like 2
Crimson Rain

ZDNet?s well respected Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols

He is a respected top-class idiot.

• Like 1
MikeChipshop

Windows is over? Even if MS closed shop today, we'd still be using Windows in 20 years time. So no, it's not over.

• Like 1
MorganX

That messenger has been crying wolf for years.

Be that as it may, when the wolf actually takes a chunk of your butt off and draws blood, you know it's pretty much real this time.

bigmehdi

It's pretty simple.

I just have to search with google the keywords: "windows 8 adoption", without the quotes

And there's only badly news.

Dot Matrix

Be that as it may, when the wolf actually takes a chunk of your butt off and draws blood, you know it's pretty much real this time.

Lol. Hardly. SJVN is a world class idiot. His articles are nothing but flamibait, and have been for years. This man decries everything Microsoft. They could cure cancer, and SJVN would still **** and moan.

• Like 1
Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Forget bringing all the desktop features in 8 back, Microsoft should bring the FAT versions of Windows that run over DOS! :rofl:

hagjohn

ZDNet and fox news.... ROFL

• Like 2
MorganX

Lol. Hardly. SJVN is a world class idiot. His articles are nothing but flamibait, and have been for years. This man decries everything Microsoft. They could cure cancer, and SJVN would still **** and moan.

I guess what I'm saying to you, is whether or not that's true, much in this article resonates with "many." The "many" that are driving some of the positive changes in Blue. That can do nothing but encourage "willing" adoptions, which his far different from eventual de-facto growth due to being the current version of Windows and on OEM PCs like it or not.

You opinion would carry much more respect if it actually addressed the content of "this" article.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

SJVN like many other writers on ZDNET is a highly educated professional, I doubt ZDNET would hire a "world class idiot". Alot of his articles do have valid points, but he does lean toward Linux more!

• Like 1
Raa

The game's not over yet... But Microsoft does have some ground to make up!

• Like 1
bigmehdi

Microsoft would die from a slow and painful death :whistle:

Windows Nashville

Ground that they lost themselves by pinning all their hopes on Windows 8. Since 8.1 currently looks like MS is simply going to "double down on stupid" rather than fix the mistakes of Win 8, yes, it does appear that it's game over for Windows.

• Like 1
AlexMagik

Jack of all trades, master of none? Not really though, the Desktop Environment is excellent. I tell you, if Windows 8 ran natively on the 27" Aluminum iMac (Boot Camp and lack of upgradeability are non-starters) I'd buy a desktop today, provided I could add a second 27" display for dual mons.

bootcamp is only a set of drivers, i have windows running on my macbook pro retina and except is tiny fonts, it's gorgeous

(Account no longer active)

People just don't seem to get it. Start8 is only $5. Problem solved.

MorganX

bootcamp is only a set of drivers, i have windows running on my macbook pro retina and except is tiny fonts, it's gorgeous

I bet it does. When I owned a 24" Aluminum iMac, it was the best, and for it's fixed hardware, best performing machine for Windows 7.

MorganX

its not over yet, but soon will be.

Maybe the hybrid UI implementation will be over, but Windows/Microsoft, nah. I think we're kidding ourselves if at this stage we are to believe within 30 days MS couldn't release Windows 8 Sans Modern UI. I absolutely do not believe they are not maintaining concurrent builds until they know this plan will succeed.

If Windows Blue experiences a "failure to launch" I think you will see major backtracking even to the point of restoring the Start Menu, but it would take another 14% sales decline after blue, combined with lackluster (last place) Phone and Tablet sales. There is a fail safe, I can guarantee that. They'll never admit it now, that would be a disaster.

They will enable the Start Menu and Boot to Desktop faster than you can boot Windows 8 off a SSD Raid if things continue as is after Blue.

idk_

Windows isn't going anywhere. I don't like the direction Windows is going at all but all it'll take is new management to turn things around.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Windows isn't going anywhere. I don't like the direction Windows is going at all but all it'll take is new management to turn things around.

Like BIll Gates coming back to Microsoft! If someone could get a company up and thriving, it would be him!