Solution to get rid Windows 8 haters

As we`ve had what seven or so versions Windows 7 why dont we just have two version of 8.One with Metro and one with a Start menu,as the Merecats says..... simples

i understand what you are saying but i know nothing about the terminal and never used it .

i also think my ubuntu gnome desktop looks 1000 times better then windows 8

So Windows 8 + OS X = your ubuntu and it is somehow 1000 times better than win 8, am I getting it right?

So Windows 8 + OS X = your ubuntu and it is somehow 1000 times better than win 8, am I getting it right?

i do not see anything windows 8 on my 100% linux install sorry , and just because i use a macos style task bar makes you jump to the OS X ,

its better to ME im not or never said it was better to the world please .

its ok to be a microsoft fanboy just take it easy on the rest of us when it comes to things you do not agree on.

wow some of you have such a tone on this site i have found out in only 2 days

Why can't people who doesn't like the metro side of Windows 8 just ignore it and keep working, playing, consuming on the desktop environment instead by using desktop programs .Is the metro side (at least in this version of Windows 8) not just something ADDITIONAL to the desktop side? I mean additional as in it doesn't really get in your way when you are on the desktop. I mean besides the few milliseconds when Windows starts up and you either push Enter (when Desktop tile is the first tile) or click on the Desktop tile. Pin your programs that you use regularly on the taskbar or the desktop and you're good to go (and you won't need or miss the Start Button or Start Menu again). But choose to use Windows Store apps for casual games, news reading, fun apps, entertainment for the whole family, etc., I think in these regards they're better than desktop programs.

It takes a while to get around Windows 8, no doubt. But after a while it's second nature really.

There really is a choice on how you can approach Windows 8. But of course if people don't like it, they don't like it. You can't tell people what to like.

There really is a choice on how you can approach Windows 8. But of course if people don't like it, they don't like it. You can't tell people what to like.

The choice should be: metro - ON or OFF. It's that simple.

Why can't people who doesn't like the metro side of Windows 8 just ignore it and keep working, playing, consuming on the desktop environment instead by using desktop programs .Is the metro side (at least in this version of Windows 8) not just something ADDITIONAL to the desktop side? I mean additional as in it doesn't really get in your way when you are on the desktop. I mean besides the few milliseconds when Windows starts up and you either push Enter (when Desktop tile is the first tile) or click on the Desktop tile. Pin your programs that you use regularly on the taskbar or the desktop and you're good to go (and you won't need or miss the Start Button or Start Menu again). But choose to use Windows Store apps for casual games, news reading, fun apps, entertainment for the whole family, etc., I think in these regards they're better than desktop programs.

It takes a while to get around Windows 8, no doubt. But after a while it's second nature really.

Apparently, those that choose to flame Windows 8 see the more obvious touch support as being a bias.

That is despite a trainload of data showing that ModernUI (and the applications thereof) are just as usable without touch. (Yes - I have heard EXACTLY that in terms of criticism of ModernUI.)

I call that sort of behavior "I don't want change AT ALL!" syndrome - reminds me, all too painfully, of extremism politically.

I have no problem with individual users not liking the excision of the Start menu - I've even pointed out why (in my opinion) it's understandable. However, it's one thing to have an opinion - it's quite another to trumpet said opinion as fact, despite a trainload of data that disproves the factual context.

That is MY beef with the anti-8 flamers.

The choice should be: metro - ON or OFF. It's that simple.

When you're on the desktop, isn't the metro kinda "off" as in "hidden"? I know it's in the background or on the side or whatever you call it. But it's not there when you use the desktop. At least it's not in your way (accidentally activating the charm bar doesn't count, even then it's not in your way). And it's not like slowing down your machine or something. Yeah, the default apps occupies a bit of space on your hard drive but that's about it.

If you install new programs make a shortcut to the desktop or taskbar, no need to go and find it in the Start Screen. If you want shut down your machine, ALT-F4 still works fine, no need to go to the hot corner, charms bar, settings, on/off, shut down. The only main task where you see the metro side would be search, when you're looking for a file or something. Then again you can just use File Explorer, I think you would know where you've saved your documents, pictures, music, videos, downloads and projects. Hit windows key and type is alot faster though.

What else? I don't know man. Windows 8 is not perfect that's for sure. It's not all good in Windows 8. Blue is certainly welcomed, adding the Start Button back or booting directly to desktop won't affect my workflow on Windows 8 at all though, the few milliseconds you switch between these two environments or having two environment at all is not worth the flames really.

I think it's rather something bigger than these minor details that people don't like Windows 8. It's really more about something unfamiliar is (seemingly) being forced on them instead of giving them options or a proper guide. Maybe Microsoft could have eased the transition into this new direction a bit. But they didn't, hence all the flaming. People just felt being slapped by Microsoft with Windows 8. Of course that's not something a loyal customer should feel about your bread and butter product.

The thing is Microsoft were late to the party of smartphones and tablets and now they are trying to catch up by leaping over their customers heads. And that don't sit well with some (apparently most) people. I think if Microsoft came to the party around the same time as Apple and Google and they would continually evolve Windows and Windows Phone properly there wouldn't be any of this bashing.

But now that they're kinda late, they had to rush, that's where Windows 8 comes in and to many people it feels like a rushed product, which it is, hence the Blue update. But it isn't as bad as people make it to be. It's just... something else ;-)

When you're on the desktop, isn't the metro kinda "off" as in "hidden"? I know it's in the background or on the side or whatever you call it. But it's not there when you use the desktop. At least it's not in your way (accidentally activating the charm bar doesn't count, even then it's not in your way). And it's not like slowing down your machine or something.

no, hidden is NOT the same as OFF.

there's some videos in youtube that shows metros butt-in from time-to-time when working on desktop mode,

turn out that windows 8 wrongly interpret touchpad click-drag as 'swipe',

perhaps you want to multi-select something but windows 8 'thinks' differently,

should metro have been turned OFF no butting will happen.

As we`ve had what seven or so versions Windows 7 why dont we just have two version of 8.One with Metro and one with a Start menu,as the Merecats says..... simples

Because MS has no interest in developing an maintaining two paralell and in some ways conflicting user interface models and systems. To costly, to buggy, absolutely to unnecessary when the new one does what the old one did just as well.

This might work if Windows 8's issues had only to do with looks...

My problem has been with the apps and charms functionality (or lack thereof) which leaves the whole experience that Windows 8 is supposed to provide with just a bad aftertaste. In another words, I truly see no gain from the features that are provided.

So far, my favorite features of Windows 8 have been the seamless upgrade experience with my programs and data staying perfectly in-tact, and quicker boot/shutdown times. That's... about it so far.

Maybe Windows 8.1 will bring the new features to a better state, but as it stands, apps and charms feel rather useless to me, specifically the search and share functions.

Because MS has no interest in developing an maintaining two paralell and in some ways conflicting user interface models and systems. To costly, to buggy, absolutely to unnecessary when the new one does what the old one did just as well.

Agreed. They can barely handle one as it is...

no, hidden is NOT the same as OFF.

there's some videos in youtube that shows metros butt-in from time-to-time when working on desktop mode,

turn out that windows 8 wrongly interpret touchpad click-drag as 'swipe',

perhaps you want to multi-select something but windows 8 'thinks' differently,

should metro have been turned OFF no butting will happen.

So you base all your Win8 criticism on YouTube videos.... ! Seriously....

And no, windows 8 does NOT confuse click and drag on pas as swipes. And even if it does, that's not windows 8, it's the touchpad driver, and you can go not the touchpad config and turn off swipes/gestures for 8.

Sheesh, if your going to criticize something, at least make sure you know what you talk about.

Which is what Microsoft is trying to do with Blue.

Not from what we've seen on Neowin, all they are doing is providing a shortcut on the desktop to the hated metro start screen.

So you base all your Win8 criticism on YouTube videos.... ! Seriously....

And no, windows 8 does NOT confuse click and drag on pas as swipes. And even if it does, that's not windows 8, it's the touchpad driver, and you can go not the touchpad config and turn off swipes/gestures for 8.

Sheesh, if your going to criticize something, at least make sure you know what you talk about.

yeah, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happened isn't it.

But let face it, only those who understand what going on will know that (s)he have to turn off the gesture config.

And its shows swipe gestures on non touch screen is stupid, especialy if you're working on desktop, yes? ;)

Its also reveal lack of Human-Machine Interface studies going on when Windows Design Team decided to developing the metro ideas, and they still want to shove it to the masses anyway.

the On/Off suggestion should've been there in first place.

yeah, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happened isn't it.

But let face it, only those who understand what going on will know that (s)he have to turn off the gesture config.

And its shows swipe gestures on non touch screen is stupid, especialy if you're working on desktop, yes? ;)

Its also reveal lack of Human-Machine Interface studies going on when Windows Design Team decided to developing the metro ideas, and they still want to shove it to the masses anyway.

the On/Off suggestion should've been there in first place.

The thing is, even if the touchpad does support swipe gestures, they won't do anything on the desktop. The ONLY swipe gestures that work on the desktop or actual two finger swipes from the left and right edges, left to switch tasks, useful, and right to bring out the charms, also useful. So no, I don't agree that they are stupid.

And how would you launch apps if you could turn off the modern ui. The start menu is dead, gone, not coming back, they're not wasting resources developing two launchers when the new one is better.

i for one, doesn't miss metro crap-app one bit, turning metro off for good is what i looking for, while benefiting from better core/kernel improvement from windows 8.

theres plenty way to launch app, using the classic .lnk files for example, i've directories especialy for containing such files, do i need full screen start screen? nah.

And how would you launch apps if you could turn off the modern ui. The start menu is dead, gone, not coming back, they're not wasting resources developing two launchers when the new one is better.

I add this to my profile on all the win2012 servers I manage.

wsrv2012-launcher1.jpg

Lacks the most frequently used programs list though.

i for one, doesn't miss metro crap-app one bit, turning metro off for good is what i looking for, while benefiting from better core/kernel improvement from windows 8.

theres plenty way to launch app, using the classic .lnk files for example, i've directories especialy for containing such files, do i need full screen start screen? nah.

That's what I'm saying! You don't need to use Windows Store apps if you don't like it. You have the option to use it. You can keep using your .Inks on your desktop, taskbar or directories just fine as if it was Windows 7, with better core/kernel improvement as you said. If you don't need full screen start screen, then just don't hit your Windows Key or click on the lower left corner, simple no? No "butting-in" or whatsoever.

And Windows Store apps are not all crap. A lot are, but there is still a lot of good stuff to discover. If you see no use in them, that's also fine, it's your choice to use them or not. I for one think they're an interesting additional to the Windows environment, more so of course for touch devices, but nonetheless still finely functional with mouse or touchpads.

My suggestion is not to remove metro entirely, but to disable it for people who dislike it.

I agree, give people the choice to turn it on and off plus admins the ability to choose in GP what the user sees. But this topic has been covered so many times before it's hard to see what more we can add.

Only thing is, Linux as a whole is perpetually stuck in a 1995 way of thinking. There's no uniform look and feel. Many Linux apps have atrocious and outdated UXs. There's no mobility. There's little interoperability with standard industry applications. I'm forced into a command prompt. Etc...

So do some Windows apps. Open source software is actually improving a great deal on that front. Granted, it's still not completely ready for a switch yet but it's getting a lot better these days.

There's just no standardization in Linux, and until that happens (It won't, btw), Linux will remain forever a hopeless contender in the modern world. Linux is great for a few things, but as a front end technology that would be used by the masses? No way.

That I don't agree with either. As long as Microsoft keep pushing away and ignoring their customers they will continue to lose business.

I think Microsoft knows more about natural interfaces than you do. If you disagree, I'd like to take a look over your research into user studies sometime, if you don't mind.

• Like 2

The biggest laugh is that Microsoft put the modern UI on server 2012

make of that what you will

I make of that that the start menu is deprecated and they're not wasting resources to keep developing them and they want to slim down the code.