Solution to get rid Windows 8 haters

Dot Matrix

The biggest laugh is that Microsoft put the modern UI on server 2012

make of that what you will

Keeping the server codebase in line with the client? Kinda like they've always done?

Noir Angel

Thankfully startisback also works on the server editions.

glen8

Keeping the server codebase in line with the client? Kinda like they've always done?

but what's the point?

Dot Matrix

but what's the point?

Unified UX? Unified services? Unified code? There's plenty of points...

BajiRav

The biggest laugh is that Microsoft put the modern UI on server 2012

make of that what you will

Uh...why is it "biggest laugh"? There are only few things you should be doing on a server anyway and start screen is hardly a problem. If it bothers you so much, switch to Core and be happy.

Noir Angel

Unified services?

Yes, I'm sure that the ability to play Angry Birds on their servers is something system admins were losing so much sleep over :)

• Like 2
HawkMan

but what's the point?

not wasting resource maintaining dead deprecated code....

+warwagon

Windows 8 is a Bipolar operating system.

• Like 4
Dot Matrix

Yes, I'm sure that the ability to play Angry Birds on their servers is something system admins were losing so much sleep over :)

Angry Birds is a service? I didn't know that...

Windows 8 is a Bipolar transitional operating system.

Bipolar? No. Transitional? Yes.

adrynalyne

Angry Birds is a service? I didn't know that...

You are blind if you do not see the identity crisis that is in Windows 8. there are literally two interfaces that are competing with each other. It would be one thing if Modern apps didn't exist, but they do and it is a mess. It just does't make sense. If they worked like widgets, great. However taking the entire screen is ridiculous.

I would be a lot more impressed if those live tiles were opening fullblown desktop apps as it would be a lot more cohesive. The full start screen is fine as it is, and doesn't really need to change imo.

Dot Matrix

You are blind if you do not see the identity crisis that is in Windows 8. there are literally two interfaces that are competing with each other.

Competing? Hardly. Existing? Yes. They're not competing in the fact that Metro is coming into it's own to replace the old, legacy bits. You can think of Start as the new desktop. Over time as Metro becomes more capable, more and more legacy bits will disappear. People here seem to think Metro is a dead duck and won't evolve (The desktop evolved, so why won't Metro?), and that the desktop will be around forever. It won't. The better technical underpinnings of the Metro environment, and technological advancement, have pretty much sealed the legacy desktop's fate.

HawkMan

You are blind if you do not see the identity crisis that is in Windows 8. there are literally two interfaces that are competing with each other. It would be one thing if Modern apps didn't exist, but they do and it is a mess. It just does't make sense. If they worked like widgets, great. However taking the entire screen is ridiculous.

I would be a lot more impressed if those live tiles were opening fullblown desktop apps as it would be a lot more cohesive. The full start screen is fine as it is, and doesn't really need to change imo.

what fighting ? I run my apps on the desktop. and I open my start screen launcher to start new apps. the start screen launcher fits in perfectly with the new graphical language of the desktop.

adrynalyne

what fighting ? I run my apps on the desktop. and I open my start screen launcher to start new apps. the start screen launcher fits in perfectly with the new graphical language of the desktop.

I have no idea what fighting you are talking about, because it certainly doesn't say that in my post. The funny thing is, if you read my post you would see that I said the start screen was fine, as is. The inclusion of Modern apps is the real problem.

Here is something I find funny. Windowed apps are becoming popular in Android. So it would appear not everyone wants full screen apps, even in the tablet and smartphone space. Microsoft should have skipped the full screen and just jumped to the head of the line with windowed apps. It would ease some of the complaints of Windows 8.

Dot Matrix

Here is something I find funny. Windowed apps are becoming popular in Android. So it would appear not everyone wants full screen apps, even in the tablet and smartphone space. Microsoft should have skipped the full screen and just jumped to the head of the line with windowed apps. It would ease some of the complaints of Windows 8.

Windows 8 has windowed apps too. I can run two apps simultaneously now on my tablet. Not sure why you think it doesn't. Windows 8.1 will expand on that to run 2+ apps in any configuration you want.

pinned-600x342.jpg

adrynalyne

Windows 8 has windowed apps too. I can run two apps simultaneously now on my tablet. Not sure why you think it doesn't. Windows 8.1 will expand on that to run 2+ apps in any configuration you want.

pinned-600x342.jpg

Do you understand the concept of windowed? Because that isn't it. You still fill the entire screen with those apps, even if you split it amongst them.

This is windowed.

http://www.stardock....ucts/modernmix/

That said, it is good to hear that you can use as many as you want that way in Blue.

0sit0

Do you understand the concept of windowed? Because that isn't it. You still fill the entire screen with those apps, even if you split it amongst them.

This is windowed.

http://www.stardock....ucts/modernmix/

Microsoft Closet... coming out soon ;)

• Like 1
Torolol
Windows 8 is a Bipolar operating system.

Seriously Dot-y if it was 'transitional' MS should've doing something like this in first place: zmic7a.jpg

Which one you wish to use?

* Exlusive Metro ?

* Classic Desktop ?

* Hybrid ?

- You can also change your preference in ...

But noooo, somehow its eluded the Windows Design team to include such choices. why??

why the need to force-shove it to the masses ?

• Like 1
adrynalyne

Seriously Dot-y if it was 'transitional' MS should've doing something like this in first place: zmic7a.jpg

Which one you wish to use?

* Exlusive Metro ?

* Classic Desktop ?

* Hybrid ?

- You can also change your preference in ...

But noooo, somehow its eluded the Windows Design team to include such choices. why??

why the need to force-shove it to the masses ?

Microsoft knows more about what consumers want than consumers themselves. DUH. ;)

Dot Matrix

Do you understand the concept of windowed? Because that isn't it.

Yes. It's the concept of being able to run multiple apps at once, which is exactly what I was showing to you. Just because they take up the "full screen" doesn't mean they are any less "windowed".

Seriously Dot-y if it was 'transitional' MS should've doing something like this in first place:

Hmm... What's this then?

post-420821-0-27497900-1366901059.png

Wait, I can still run desktop apps too, and ignore the Metro ones? Get out of town! ;)

• Like 1
adrynalyne

Yes. It's the concept of being able to run multiple apps at once, which is exactly what I was showing to you. Just because they take up the "full screen" doesn't mean they are any less "windowed".

Um, no.

I can play music on my phone while browsing the web. My music player isn't windowed, nor is my browser.

What you described is the concept of multitasking.

• Like 1
BajiRav

There is no Store available by default on the server. At least think before you post.

I have no idea what fighting you are talking about, because it certainly doesn't say that in my post. The funny thing is, if you read my post you would see that I said the start screen was fine, as is. The inclusion of Modern apps is the real problem.

...there are literally two interfaces that are competing with each other. ...

fighting, competing - I think that's what Hawkman meant. I would say both interfaces work hand-in-hand, there isn't much competing as such. :/

on the second point, right-click + uninstall is too much work for you? Don't like it, don't use it.

adrynalyne

on the second point, right-click + uninstall is too much work for you? Don't like it, don't use it.

Now you understand why many consumers don't want or see a need for Windows 8. Why pay for an upgrade, merely to right-click + uninstall?

Dot Matrix

Now you understand why many consumers don't want or see a need for Windows 8. Why pay for an upgrade, merely to right-click + uninstall?

What?

BajiRav

Sorry, what? Let's not generalize shall we? I am sure you don't like metro apps - doesn't mean nobody likes them. There are people in both camps - so let it be. If you think Windows 8 only brings metro apps to the table then you are mistaken.

adrynalyne

Sorry, what? Let's not generalize shall we? I am sure you don't like metro apps - doesn't mean nobody likes them. There are people in both camps - so let it be. If you think Windows 8 only brings metro apps to the table then you are mistaken.

I think that is what consumers see, and sales numbers don't lie. There are some that like them, sure. There are more that do not.

This thread is a perfect example. A small handful of defenders against an angry mob.