Xbox: A New Generation Revealed

Speak for yourself, I love Forza and Fable and have bought xboxes in the past just to play those games, I was interested in getting Xbox One for exclusives but I am not interested in the slightest after that abomination of a reveal.

Who said they were forcing you, you used the old "don't like it don't buy it" moronic retort.

The fact is they are forcing their "vision" on people who want the console to play the freaking exclusive games they've come to know and love. Kinect was hardly a success outside of casual games and a few arbitrary motion/voice commands in some "better with kinect games", why force it on the next generation?

Don't bother replying, I don't expect an objective reply from a Microsoft apologist.

Console gaming has evolved beyond "just gaming". The XBox has been a home entertainment hub for sometime now, and that's not going to change. I still fail to see where I'm being "forced" here, is the next XBox supposed to provide some other "vision" besides the one Microsoft intended? Maybe dual boot some Sony games, or something? Of course it provides Microsoft's vision, it's a Microsoft product.

So this is as far as we can get from Microsoft right now,

Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?

A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We?ll have more details to share later.

Strange, was it not a woman that presented us the Halo TV series? How about the CBS woman who also presented?

I'm pretty sure the image is fake. It's a jab at this article: http://kotaku.com/5986025/the-lack-of-women-presenters-at-the-ps4-event-is-bigger-than-sony

There were, in fact, two female presenters at the Xbox One event. And both of them were on the stage at the same time. It looks like Microsoft has done their homework and made sure not to make the same mistake as Sony.

Console gaming has evolved beyond "just gaming". The XBox has been a home entertainment hub for sometime now, and that's not going to change. I still fail to see where I'm being "forced" here, is the next XBox supposed to provide some other "vision" besides the one Microsoft intended? Maybe dual boot some Sony games, or something? Of course it provides Microsoft's vision, it's a Microsoft product.

People already have smartphones, tablets, Apple TV, Google TV, Smart TVs, media streamers, DVRs. They don't need another $400 box to do something they already have. They buy a games console to play, um I dunno, games?

Why compromise what is happening on the screen by making it smaller and pinning an even smaller window on the screen to use an app beside playing a game?

Kinect was hardly a success, casual games and games that have shoehorned arbitrary kinect controls/voice commands "better with kinect".

Why build a console around it?

A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We?ll have more details to share later.

That doesn't disprove anything, they could be designing the Xbox One around game passes that you can purchase for a reduced amount if you buy a used game.

• Like 1

When they can't answer the question directly, they know the it may be unpopular, or yet to be determined.

People already have smartphones, tablets, Apple TV, Google TV, Smart TVs, media streamers, DVRs. They don't need another $400 box to do something they already have. They buy a games console to play, um I dunno, games?

Why compromise what is happening on the screen by making it smaller and pinning an even smaller window on the screen to use an app beside playing a game?

Kinect was hardly a success, casual games and games that have shoehorned arbitrary kinect controls/voice commands "better with kinect".

24 million Kinect sales is a failure?

24 million Kinect sales is a failure?

Must be, if 100 million Windows 8 licenses is...

:rolleyes:

I think it's the other way around. I'd rather not have Kinect and I hope they release a version that doesn't come bundled with it. If that isn't an option, then I'll make the most of what I get. And that means using the voice commands and hand gestures to use my console. The convenience of turning my Xbox on and off without a controller in hand is nice.

As for the Xbox being the one device to use, what they mean is the one living room device. Most people have smartphones but even less have tablets and Apple/Google TV. I like the fact that they've expanded the capabilities of the Xbox but I really hope their main focus is still gaming. I don't plan on using my Xbox as an all-in-one entertainment device but I can admit that I'm probably in the minority.

Wondering how big this thing really is.

The 3 red line are the same length.

lk3yh10r.jpg

What to you reckon, 14 to 15 inches square?

Wondering how big this thing really is.

The 3 red line are the same length.

What to you reckon, 14 to 15 inches square?

I guess that's a good guess. If the slot is a disc wide ...then about 13-14 total length, right?

When they can't answer the question directly, they know the it may be unpopular, or yet to be determined.

Yup, they could go either way. No one knows.

Dunno, suppose it depends on how long Mr Knightleys forearms are.

Is he on Twitter? I might just ask him. lol

Dunno why people are shocked at how big it is, from the PS4 teaser it looks to be about same size.

Yeah, first-gens are always big and hungry. They'll release slimmer versions in a few years time.

I have a receiver that has plenty of inputs/outputs that compliment the TV. I don't need another thing that challenges my receiver, unless the Xbox also acts as a surround sound theater receiver.

shakey, while YOU do, all too many do not. And does your receiver support HDMI pass-through? (Most don't, due to HDCP.)

And HDMI passthrough is indeed a big problem for video.

And, if anything, the XB ONE, like XB360 (and even the PS3) is meant to replace standalone DVD or BD players - not necessarily your A/V receiver.

I pointed out (in another thread) that the current XB360+Kinect (or PS3+Move) is rather unwieldy as it stands - integration of the two makes all too much sense merely from a connectivity/integration standpoint with current HT setups.

Throw in the standing-out-like-a-sore-thumb aspect and it HAS turned folks off.

Whoa, wait when did this happen? My friends and I must be behind the times then.

I personally know of no one who has Apple TV, or even Google TV for that matter, they're complete failures on the market. Also, what the hell is a smart TV?

IDK. Why multi-task? Who needs that?

24 million isn't a "success"?

Yes, we get it, you're a kinect fan who can't grasp the fact that no matter how many people were suckered into buying the damn thing it's still a failure for real games.

• Like 2

Didn't Wired say it's a bit bigger than the 360 is? I think the extra size is because it might have the power brick inside the case this time. There is also the dedicated Kinect 2 port and the hdmi in tv pass-through bits in there that add to things. Just look at all the ports on the back for example.

I don't really care about the size, i'm not going to be walking around with it, it's not a mobile device in the end.

Wow. It actually runs two VMs in a HyperV setup. That's impressive if it doesn't affect game performance!

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-xbox-one-whats-windows-got-to-do-with-it-7000015684/

That's exactly what I figured was going on when MS said that it's running 3 "OS". A base Hyper-V at the hardware level with Windows and Xbox OS on top which allows for the quick and smooth multitasking. The fact I can jump to other apps or the dashboard and NOT have to end my game first is a big step up.

Seeing how the PS Move sold nearly the same amount and is considered a failure.... Yes.

The reality is that move at best sold half that in full usable kits, realistically closer to be third. Since they counted every addon as a move sale, whereas every kinect was a full suite.

The numbers do not lie kids...

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

So seriously, you guys can think whatever you want about how glorious MS is and can never do any wrong. A decent amount of the world must disagree with you for that above to take place, even if it is only temporary which is sure to be the case, it does show the pulse of what those who do not care one way or the other are thinking.

• Like 1

Whoa, wait when did this happen? My friends and I must be behind the times then.

I personally know of no one who has Apple TV, or even Google TV for that matter, they're complete failures on the market. Also, what the hell is a smart TV?

You've gotta be trolling right? I know a few people who have Apple TVs. It's great for them as they live in the Apple ecosystem.

It may be a success in sales figures, however it's a failure in implementation in the current generation because the features that are used in games are just "gimmicky". With the Xbox One supporting OS wide gestures and it being forced on the users, more people may get to grips with it and get used to it.