Xbox One Launch Thread

RageOfFury

Received the Play & Charge kit today. It's essentially 2 rechargeable AA batteries inside a plastic shell that fits into the battery compartment and a long usb cable. :hmmm:

xendrome

Received the Play & Charge kit today. It's essentially 2 rechargeable AA batteries inside a plastic shell that fits into the battery compartment and a long usb cable. :hmmm:

Sounds like you got ripped then, cause it's a li-ion battery pack - https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1187767-xbox-one-controller-play-and-charge-kit-unboxing/

Just like the Xbox 360's was... you should have gone with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLLFJE0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with 2 batteries and the dock for like $30

+Audioboxer

Funny error messages :P

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

• Like 2

BajiRav

Funny error messages :p

"Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required" should be the default warn message for Neowin Gamer's hangout. :laugh: :p

trooper11

I got the something went terribly wrong error message on launch day when trying access the avatar section :laugh:

The funny error messages we will see on these next gen consoles.

Its yet another sign of how close they are moving to being like pcs.

Anthony Tosie

I keep forgetting there's only a fraction of Xbox One owners compared to Xbox 360 owners... went ahead and bought Battlefield 4's season pass and there was only one server with people playing the Second Assault maps  :/

Brewzzin

I got the something went terribly wrong error message on launch day when trying access the avatar section :laugh:

The funny error messages we will see on these next gen consoles.

Its yet another sign of how close they are moving to being like pcs.

Yeah, so did I.  The Avatar app was pretty broken on day one.

Andrew

That is the same for 360 batteries.

"Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required" should be the default warn message for Neowin Gamer's hangout. :laugh: :p

I'll pass on the suggestion to the staff :P :laugh:

• Like 1

spudtrooper

I keep forgetting there's only a fraction of Xbox One owners compared to Xbox 360 owners... went ahead and bought Battlefield 4's season pass and there was only one server with people playing the Second Assault maps  :/

BF4 stats shows 30,000 people playing in the evenings on XB1

Dice just needs to patch that game though, i hear some people can't play it, have it crash, can't save games and so much other crap on PC, XB1 and PS4..

vcfan

im just at best buy, checking up on who's winning the console wars :D

IeahdNG.jpg

• Like 1

BajiRav

I see 3 PS4s, 1 XBO and 0 WiiU.

WiiU won!

• Like 2

spudtrooper

I see 3 PS4s, 1 XBO and 0 WiiU.

WiiU won!

WiiU was just never restrocked after the first 2 sold :P

• Like 2

MikeChipshop

I see no SNES! Clear winner,

sbauer

There's never anyone in the Xbox One section when I visit. They do have a bunch of display boxes though, along with everything else. 

spacer

The closest Best Buy to me has an Xbox One section, but with no controllers. It just has the Kinect set up, which is lame. I want to try out the new controller, but have no where to do it.

Anthony Tosie

BF4 stats shows 30,000 people playing in the evenings on XB1

Dice just needs to patch that game though, i hear some people can't play it, have it crash, can't save games and so much other crap on PC, XB1 and PS4..

Yup, I just had all my campaign progress from two days wiped :( I think this may be the last time I buy a DICE game at launch, because users of all versions of the game (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4) are reporting this happening.

sbauer

Yup, I just had all my campaign progress from two days wiped :( I think this may be the last time I buy a DICE game at launch, because users of all versions of the game (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4) are reporting this happening.

It's really bad. I'm usually one to forgive launch issues, but this game has been a disaster. When destroying a building on conquest takes out a server, you know you have some problems. This game was rushed so that it could get out the door before Ghosts. 

Houtei

Lol at my best buy theres 6 ps4s 0 xo and 0 wiiu. At target there's like 8 xo 2 ps4s and 0 wiiu so buy neogafs logic yeah Wii u wins hands down!!!

Anthony Tosie

It's really bad. I'm usually one to forgive launch issues, but this game has been a disaster. When destroying a building on conquest takes out a server, you know you have some problems. This game was rushed so that it could get out the door before Ghosts. 

Same -- normally I can overlook bugs, but not game-breaking bugs and countless issues. On the Xbox One, the menus constantly freeze for me, and I've had the game lock up on me and kick me out to the home screen twice. On top of that I routinely get issues where all the textures will turn back (luckily they fix themselves within 30 seconds or less), too.

But the singleplayer progress being wiped... nope, sorry, that's completely and utterly unacceptable. And it's like that on all four versions! How the hell did this pass quality assurance? I'm not going to start singleplayer until it's fixed for sure -- I've read too many horror stories of it losing progress multiple times for a single person.

What is up with DICE? Battlefield 3 had some big bugs at launch, but nothing this bad.

spacer

Same -- normally I can overlook bugs, but not game-breaking bugs and countless issues. On the Xbox One, the menus constantly freeze for me, and I've had the game lock up on me and kick me out to the home screen twice. On top of that I routinely get issues where all the textures will turn back (luckily they fix themselves within 30 seconds or less), too.

But the singleplayer progress being wiped... nope, sorry, that's completely and utterly unacceptable. And it's like that on all four versions! How the hell did this pass quality assurance? I'm not going to start singleplayer until it's fixed for sure -- I've read too many horror stories of it losing progress multiple times for a single person.

What is up with DICE? Battlefield 3 had some big bugs at launch, but nothing this bad.

Can you get a full refund for the game?

Anthony Tosie

Can you get a full refund for the game?

I very seriously doubt it now that I've been playing for nearly a week.

It's not a bad game, it's just that there are so many massive problems with it. It'll be fine once they're patched, but it's sad it was released in this state to begin with.

SnoopZ

I have never had any freezing on my Battlefield 4, but it has crashed twice but the server browser now works since i think they updated the game a few days ago as mine looked different when it started up as it did a screen alignment that it never did before.

The_Decryptor

I decided to buy Forza last night, it was cheaper than going to the shop and I doubt they would be open at Midnight anyway.

I had to pause the download this morning at 10am because it was using up all my bandwidth, and it was at 51% completed.

I think I'll be staying with disks for the foreseeable future until the Internet here improves (Which the current government is trying it's hardest to stop)

dipsylalapo

Has anyone had an Advance Exchange completed from Microsoft? 

I've had one created and I still haven't received my new yet :/ I've contacted them this morning and they said that the console is on the way, but they weren't able to provide me with a tracking number or anything. I can't see the holding charge on my credit card either. The order in the online service centre is still "In Progress"

It's really started to frustrate me now. I have a console that really isn't doing anything at the moment :@

The_Decryptor

I keep forgetting to ask, does anybody else see 3 red LEDs on the Kinect and 2 on the controller?

They're supposed to be IR, so unless I have amazing vision I shouldn't be seeing them.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft Flight Simulator is now available on Xbox Series X|S and Game Pass
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft announced the return of Flight Simulator back in 2019, bringing its longest-running game franchise to users in its newest form, leveraging Azure for features such as dynamic scenery and real-time weather. The game launched on the PC in August 2020, becoming available through the Microsoft Store, Steam, and Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers. However, there was no word on the release timeline for Xbox users.

Fast forward to E3 this year, and the Redmond firm finally announced a date for the arrival of the game on the latest-generation Xbox consoles. While pre-orders opened back then, Flight Simulator is now available on Xbox Series X|S consoles starting today. The simulation game is being made available to Xbox Game Pass for Console and Ultimate subscribers as well as pre-order customers starting today only on the latest-generation consoles, with the company promising optimizations aimed at console simmers. The firm adds that users can “expect the same level of depth as the PC version”.

In addition to the launch, the company is also listing improvements and feature addition being made to the simulator, which includes enhancements to the world map in the way of satellite images, map labels, new Discovery Flights to famous locations, and more. There are new trainings for those unfamiliar with VFR navigation, takeoff and landing manoeuvers, and flying jets like the Airbus A320neo. A new Flight Assistant tool further provides AI-based assistance for Autoland, navigating to points of interest, and avoiding stalls, aimed especially at beginners and casual simmers. There are also tweaks been made to make it possible to “land anywhere”, including on water.

The latest iteration of Flight Simulator has been a massive hit for the company. The game was termed as being the biggest Game Pass launch yet. The offering has been constantly updated with free ‘World Updates’ bringing complex sceneries, something that will continue to be offered for both PC and Xbox users, bug fixes, and more. The game also gained VR support late last year, bringing a more immersive way for users to experience the simulator.

In addition to the usual World Updates, Microsoft will also be releasing a Top Gun: Maverick expansion on November 19, aligning with the release of the Top Gun: Maverick movie, which the firm is celebrating with Paramount Pictures. The trailer for the expansion suggests that it will include aircraft carriers and an F/A-18 Super Hornet.

You can grab Flight Simulator from the Microsoft Store here, with the Standard Editions starting at $59.99. As mentioned earlier, the game is included in Xbox Game Pass. However, users that have already purchased the game on the PC will have access to it on the console. Though the Play Anywhere tag seems to be missing in the Microsoft Store listing, the firm notes the availability of the feature in an FAQ listing that was updated earlier today.

• By Asher Madan
      Xbox Ultimate Game Sale feature Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and more
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Microsoft and select publishers discount a number of titles for a weekly Deals with Gold sale. However, there's also an Ultimate Game Sale going on this week which adds even more games! Titles from the Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and other franchises are available for substantially less. Below, you'll find the Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 games with their respective discounts. The deals and games marked with an asterisk are only valid for Xbox Live Gold members, so you'll need an active paid subscription for the additional discount.

Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One
      Xbox 360
      Many of the games are also backward compatible so you can play them on your Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One. There really isn't much going on this week if you only own an Xbox 360. However, there are a lot of classics like The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings on sale.

Which titles are you interested in? Did you buy any up? Let us know in the comments below.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Windows 11 testing, future gaming, and HiveNightmare aka SeriousSAM
      by Florin Bodnarescu

It’s been a rather busy seven days in Redmond, with new Windows 11 test builds, long-awaited game releases on console, and yet another security vulnerability all being in the news. You can find details about the aforementioned and more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of July 18 – 24.

Windows 11 testing
      It would be prudent to start with some of the news surrounding Microsoft’s next major iteration of Windows.

For one, there’s the possible release time frame, which was revealed in a document accompanying a recent Intel GPU driver update. In it, Windows 11 is referred to as the October 2021 Update, though it’s possible this may also be a reference to Windows 10 21H2, which should drop around the same time.

This timing wouldn’t be too surprising, as October has been the month of choice for the denomination or GA of several H2 updates - barring say 1809, which was quickly pulled following a number of problems, then re-released in December -, or previous major releases like Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

As far as the release of the Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) variant of Windows 11 is concerned, Microsoft was clear that it is still several years out. The LTSC release that’s about to drop this year will be based on Windows 10 21H2, but the release after that is set to be underpinned by Windows 11. Given the recent change in the LTSC support lifecycle – namely slashing of support from 10 to five years -, there’s still a bit of a wait involved.

Until then though, Microsoft is continuing to shed little more light on its Windows 11 design choices, such as the new context menu, or the Teams integration. Sadly, the Store variants for Business and Education will not be supported in Windows 11, though the downloading of Edge from the Store will be.

And speaking of, Teams chat can now be tested thanks to Windows 11 Insider build 22000.100, which also adds some taskbar enhancements. Naturally, there are some known issues to keep in mind as always, one of which is the fact that Windows Hello is now broken. Not to worry though, there’s a way to fix it.

Finally, in not exactly earth-shattering news, Microsoft has released a new cumulative update to Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring. This is KB5004296 and should be available for folks running Windows 10 21H1 and 21H2. The only change is a new policy which „creates generic strings and removes branding-specific terms, such as „Windows” or „PC” for IoT Enterprise editions”. In other words, you’ll be seeing phrases like „Getting things ready” instead of „Getting Windows ready”.

Future games

On the gaming side of things, there’s a selection of titles now available on Game Pass, including Battlefield V, Cris Tales, Atomicorps, and Raji: An Ancient Epic. In terms of high-profile releases arriving soon, there’s Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, The Ascent, as well as the long-awaited console release of Microsoft Flight Simulator. If those are not your cup of tea, the Deals with Gold are right this way.

In other news of future releases, Halo Infinite’s first technical preview will focus on bots, with the kickoff allegedly happening as soon as next weekend. Matches will be 4v4 across the Bazaar, Recharge, and Live Fire maps.

Yet another first-party title, this time Fallout 76, is set to get a long-requested feature in a couple of months, namely private servers. Dubbed Fallout Worlds, it will officially arrive in the game in September, but the PTS (Public Test Servers) already have it available, for those interested in testing this out early.

Last but not least, we should mention the Dead Space remake announced at EA Play. Rebuilt by Motive Studios from the ground up to use the Frostbite engine, the game is slated to launch across PC, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation 5, though no release date or window was given.

HiveNightmare aka SeriousSAM

It seems like Microsoft just can’t catch a break when it comes to security recently. Following the massive Exchange Online exploits in March and April, and the PrintNightmare exploit affecting the Print Spooler Service, there’s now another high-profile security flaw going around.

Dubbed HiveNightmare – due to it being a registry vulnerability -, or SeriousSAM (due to the Windows Security Account Manager – or SAM – database being involved), the flaw allows passwords and security keys to be accessed by non-admin users. As such, it would give an attacker access to the SAM, SYSTEM, and SECURITY registry hive files. In the linked post, we’ve detailed how to restrict access to the system32 config file, as well as how to delete Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) shadow copies in order to protect yourself against this.

In light of the above, it’s perhaps no surprise that Microsoft chose to acquire CloudKnox Security in order to enhance its unified privileged access capabilities.

Unfortunately, the section won’t be ending with any good news, as the July set of updates for Windows 10 has broken printing and scanning via the use of smart cards. This is an unfortunate side effect of the Redmond giant’s attempts at fixing the aforementioned PrintNightmare flaw.

And as if that wasn’t enough, fake Windows 11 installers have also started circulating around the web. Unsurprisingly, they are being used for malware distribution.

Dev channel
      Apps for Teams meetings are now supported on mobile. Microsoft is fighting legal battles to restrict the use of imposter domains. Online civility has deteriorated in the second year of the pandemic, says the Redmond giant. Edge 92 is now out, with a new Password Health dashboard. SharePoint Server Subscription Edition is now available in public preview. Visual Studio 2022 for Mac is now available in private preview. Logging off
      We end today with a Task Manager concept featuring what is perhaps one of the most oft-requested features for the utility.

via AlurDesign While the Task Manager has certainly evolved over the years from its inception, one of the most often requested features is an option to switch to dark mode. Changes have been made so far in Windows 11 to make the implementation of this theme option a lot more consistent, though legacy apps still don’t respect the dark mode setting.

To visualize just how a dark mode for Task Manager would look, Twitter user Jakub (AlurDesign) has put together a concept – seen above – which makes use of the more rounded aesthetic in Windows 11, as well as translucency effects.

Of course, it’s a mere concept, but here’s hoping Microsoft sees this and chooses to take at least some design cues from it.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By Asher Madan
      Xbox Deals with Gold feature Batman, Star Wars, and more
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Microsoft and select publishers discount a number of titles for a weekly Deals with Gold sale. This week, games from Batman, Star Wars, and other franchises are available for substantially less. Below, you'll find the Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 games with their respective discounts. The deals and games marked with an asterisk are only valid for Xbox Live Gold members, so you'll need an active paid subscription for the additional discount.

Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One
      Xbox 360
      Many of the games are also backward compatible so you can play them on your Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One. There really isn't much going on this week if you only own an Xbox 360, to put it mildly.

Which titles are you interested in? Did you buy any up? Let us know in the comments below.

• By Brandon H
      Neowin's Community Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by BisectHosting

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (204.44.126.159)
      Currently Running FTB Cotton - v1.1.0

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

If you wish to join our server please post here with your Minecraft username; you must be an active member of the Neowin community.

Our server is powered by donations. Payments are made quarterly. Please help donate to the server to keep it running.