Xbox One Launch Thread

spudtrooper

Also, costco the price was 479.99!!

spudtrooper

Any place to get games on sale or another controller?

Martog

Despite being assured last night I would receive my console today, I did not, it never shipped, they are looking into it.  Way to go Microsoft.

Brewzzin

Mine arrived about an hour ago.  I will be setting it up tonight after the kids go to bed.   :woot:

• Like 1
Andrew

Anyone elses controller wobble? I just put it down on my desk and noticed it.

Taking a closer look at the back, the plastic shell isn't symmetrical where the rear panel meets the side panel (N)

RageOfFury

So to play blurays or dvds you have to download an app? WTF? lol

George P

So to play blurays or dvds you have to download an app? WTF? lol

Download an app, download a patch, what's the difference?  I thought people were mad because it wasn't about the games and too much about the media.

RageOfFury

Taking a closer look at the back, the plastic shell isn't symmetrical where the rear panel meets the side panel (N)

No wobble here, but the controller feels and looks very cheap. It's a step backwards compared to the X360 controller.

Andrew

No wobble here, but the controller feels and looks very cheap. It's a step backwards compared to the X360 controller.

Agreed. I've gone over this extensively with a friend who has yet to recieve his and gave him my thoughts as we're both huge fans of the 360 controller.

The shape of the hand grips where the fingers should meet the controller is all wrong. It leaves a gap unlike the 360 where the plastic was under your finger all the way to the trigger. It's pretty much the result of shrinking the controller. I can't believe I thought it was larger than the 360 controller and it's the complete opposite. It's needlessly smaller :(

Not a fan of the spongey triggers or flat ABXY buttons either. The thumb sticks, again as a result of being made smaller, mean my thumbs no longer sit nicely on them. There's room for the tips and no more.

Overall, a huge step back IMO. Obviously YMMV if you have small hands, but I don't and it sucks they had to change it.

• Like 1
RageOfFury

After playing around with it and playing CoD Ghosts for roughly an hour and a half I already want to return it. The UI is overly complicated and I find it sluggish at times. I do not like the cheap awkward controller. What the heck happened, Microsoft!? :(

spenser.d

Gonna be at Mall of America tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to play with one for a bit even if I'm not buying.  Sounds pretty excellent by most accounts, making it real hard to not just buy one.

trooper11

No wobble with mine.

As far as the controller experience. My impressions have been the opposite. I actually like what they have done tot the controller so far. The d-pad is great. The sticks don't slip from my fingers like they did with the 360 pad and the shoulder buttons actually allow my fingers to sit more comfortably over them thanks to being wider.

• Like 1
trooper11

After playing around with it and playing CoD Ghosts for roughly an hour and a half I already want to return it. The UI is overly complicated and I find it sluggish at times. I do not like the cheap awkward controller. What the heck happened, Microsoft!? :(

What did you find overly complicated about it?

IceBreakerG

Got my Xbox One delivered to my office at work earlier today, got it set up, installed a few apps.  For whatever reason, the first game I decided to put in was CoD: Ghosts.  Upon putting the game disc in, it says that it needs to install an update that's 1221MB.  I confirm it, and it shows "Installing... 0%".  That was probably 10mins ago, and it's still at 0%.  I really like the system so far, it's fast, smooth, voice commands work decently.  The one thing that's bugging the crap out of me is this:

How do you see the progress of downloads or the download queue?

I cannot, for the life of me, find this.  I've gone to My Games and Apps, and it shows that CoD: Ghosts is installing at 0%, but I can't see the progress of the giant update (seriously, a 1.2GB update on day one? wtf?).  Does anyone know how to find this, or is this one of those things that's "not available at launch"?

Edit: Now it's at 1%.  Yay!  :ermm:

vcfan

Got my Xbox One delivered to my office at work earlier today, got it set up, installed a few apps.  For whatever reason, the first game I decided to put in was CoD: Ghosts.  Upon putting the game disc in, it says that it needs to install an update that's 1221MB.  I confirm it, and it shows "Installing... 0%".  That was probably 10mins ago, and it's still at 0%.  I really like the system so far, it's fast, smooth, voice commands work decently.  The one thing that's bugging the crap out of me is this:

I cannot, for the life of me, find this.  I've gone to My Games and Apps, and it shows that CoD: Ghosts is installing at 0%, but I can't see the progress of the giant update (seriously, a 1.2GB update on day one? wtf?).  Does anyone know how to find this, or is this one of those things that's "not available at launch"?

its probably the servers under load. it downloads the patch first before it does the installation. I don't think you can see the progress,which is kinda odd. you could try to disconnect from the internet, then try to install the game again, should work I think. to cancel the install, go on the game, click menu, then cancel install. if you want to play online you need to install the patch though.

RageOfFury

What did you find overly complicated about it?

So many tiles!!! Compared to the PS4 UI, the One's UI is confusing at heck! I'm sure I'll get used to it...I hope. My main issue right now is the controller. I want to throw it out the window! :pinch:

I accepted that 1.2GB update and then...it disappeared. :s I couldn't for the life of me find a status of that update. So weird...

It's clear to me that Microsoft rushed the One to market. It's not polished at all.

I'm almost heartbroken :cry:

vcfan

So many tiles!!! Compared to the PS4 UI, the One's UI is confusing at heck! I'm sure I'll get used to it...I hope. My main issue right now is the controller. I want to throw it out the window! :pinch:

totally disagree about the controller. to me its the best controller ive used, so much better than the 360s. perhaps you got a little comfortable to the ps4 controller so it feels different? give it some time im sure it just needs to break in a little on you.

• Like 2
IceBreakerG

I'm thinking that My games & apps is actually where you would see the progress of app downloads (but not updates).  It seems like the update download is done, the install is at 14% now.

Also, the X1 controller is awesome!  Very light, the thumb sticks feel really nice, the triggers feel good and the shoulder buttons have a nice "click" to them.  The D-Pad is finally usable, and now that the battery hump is gone, it's even more comfortable than the 360's controller was.

• Like 3
vcfan

I'm thinking that My games & apps is actually where you would see the progress of app downloads (but not updates).  It seems like the update download is done, the install is at 11% now.

yeah when the update finishes downloading, then your install progress will start going up. you wont see the progress of the download though, that's why it looked like it was stuck at 0%,when in reality the update was downloading.like I said,kinda odd,but they probably ran out of time to add stuff like that.

trooper11

Well I'm not sure what exactly is confusing about the tiles. It seems as easy to me as the ps4 ui so far. I happen to prefer the tile style over the ps4's style but I haven't had issues navigating either one.

They are certainly different though, so maybe you prefer their style.

Also remember, then the menu button on the controller is your friend when you're trying to do various tasks. Also, if you think the pinned tiles to the left are too much, you can unpin them all.

I accepted that 1.2GB update and then...it disappeared. :s I couldn't for the life of me find a status of that update. So weird...

It's clear to me that Microsoft rushed the One to market. It's not polished at all.

I'm almost heartbroken :cry:

Its clear that both consoles were rushed to market. The key is to have a decent base to improve upon and I think both hit that mark at least. Not close to perfect by any means, but a start.

As far as checking status of updates, I agree that MS needs to add in more visual tracking for us. I say just add an option when you tap the menu button to see active downloads. Problem solved. I think MS may have been going for the idea that it would all just happen 'magically' in the background, but the reality is many, including myself, want to keep track of that stuff.

These console OSes can definitely grow.

• Like 1
trooper11

I'm thinking that My games & apps is actually where you would see the progress of app downloads (but not updates).  It seems like the update download is done, the install is at 14% now.

Your right, you can see progess bars in the 'my games & apps' section, so that is helpful

yeah when the update finishes downloading, then your install progress will start going up. you wont see the progress of the download though, that's why it looked like it was stuck at 0%,when in reality the update was downloading.like I said,kinda odd,but they probably ran out of time to add stuff like that.

Actually I noticed that I could track the progress of my KI download by simply jumping back to the Store app that was sitting at the KI page. It showed the download and then install progress right there. I'll need to check with another download to see if that also happens if I watch it in the 'my games' section.

vcfan

Actually I noticed that I could track the progress of my KI download by simply jumping back to the Store app that was sitting at the KI page. It showed the download and then install progress right there. I'll need to check with another download to see if that also happens if I watch it in the 'my games' section.

not talking about regular downloads from the store,of course you could see the progress. im talking about updates when installing disc based games,which download before installing off the disc locally.