Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

Hamilton is being a complete jerk and it was revealed that he used extra power when he shouldn't have to hold off Nico in Spain. He claims Nico did the same to try to pass him in Bahrain but the team HAS NOT confirmed this claim as far as I am aware.

Also him saying he was going to do a Senna and take Rosberg out at the first corner. Guess that didn't work out now did it Lewis? You may say that's not what he said but anyone with half a brain knows that's exactly what he meant,

• Like 1

Really wish they would ditch Monaco.  It's easily the best looking place on the calendar but also the more boring.  Year on year each race is just watching cars in traffic.

• Like 3

Twice, which is also twice as many times as everyone else  :)

Did you even watch the race? He pitted three times - once normally, once because of a puncture and once because he crashed into the barrier attempting a ridiculous overtake. The puncture was bad luck but the barrier kamikaze was inexcusable.

Hamilton is being a complete jerk and it was revealed that he used extra power when he shouldn't have to hold off Nico in Spain. He claims Nico did the same to try to pass him in Bahrain but the team HAS NOT confirmed this claim as far as I am aware.

Also him saying he was going to do a Senna and take Rosberg out at the first corner. Guess that didn't work out now did it Lewis? You may say that's not what he said but anyone with half a brain knows that's exactly what he meant,

He was obviously blowing off steam, which is understandable given how Rosberg messed up his qualifying and effectively cost him the race (in the past ten years the person in pole position has always won, with the exception of Hamilton). His performance during the race demonstrated that he is able to respond professionally under pressure. Don't forget that Hamilton has qualified first in nearly every race and it was only Rosberg's ridiculous mistake that allowed him to qualify ahead of Hamilton (it's very likely that Hamilton would have set a faster lap). Normally that wouldn't be an issue but Monaco is a terrible circuit.

I honestly didn't think my opinion of Hamilton could get any lower but it just did. That is just sour grapes, he's a poor looser.

The steward weren't proven that Nico didn't gain the pole by cheating, so it's clear cut, and today he simply out drove Hamilton fair and square.

Meanwhile Riccardo, what a drive, top man....could his smile at the end of the race get any wider.

This.

Spent 63 laps chasing the lead, can't get past so complains about dirt in his eye and backs off... yeah, whatevs Lewis. His moan about not being pitted was rather selfish too; if the positions had been swapped and Nico came in first Lewis would have flipped!

Normally that wouldn't be an issue but Monaco is a terrible circuit.

"Normally that wouldn't be an issue but Monaco is a terrible circuit for overtaking." There, fixed it for you.

This thing with something in his eyes is kinda funny but it's Lewis 101. When he heads out to meet the media after the race he rubs his eye but when Natalie Pinkham asks him about it, he tries to act cool and says it not an issue.

Why then Lewis did you purposely rub your eye so the media could see you had a problem with your eye?

He's such a child.

EDIT: Here's the clip...

Edited by xdot.tk

Spent 63 laps chasing the lead, can't get past so complains about dirt in his eye and backs off... yeah, whatevs Lewis.

Are you suggesting that he made it up? If so that's pretty ridiculous, as he was fighting for the lead the entire race. Heck, even when he radioed the team he was more interested to know where Rosberg was than about Ricciardo catching up to him. As for the pit stop, he felt he could have won the race if he had pitted earlier and it's understandable that he would criticise the team. He's racing for the championship.

"Normally that wouldn't be an issue but Monaco is a terrible circuit for overtaking." There, fixed it for you.

That's a large part of what makes it a terrible circuit and due to the enclosed nature of the track it means it is usually dominated by the safety car. It doesn't allow for real racing - too much is determined by qualifying and sheer luck (i.e. where the crashes happen, when the safety car comes out, etc). It's only still on the calendar due to its history and elite status. In the past 11 years all but one race has been won by the person in pole position, which this year was surrounded in controversy due to Rosberg's yellow flag incident.

Are you suggesting that he made it up? If so that's pretty ridiculous, as he was fighting for the lead the entire race. Heck, even when he radioed the team he was more interested to know where Rosberg was than about Ricciardo catching up to him. As for the pit stop, he felt he could have won the race if he had pitted earlier and it's understandable that he would criticise the team. He's racing for the championship.

That's a large part of what makes it a terrible circuit and due to the enclosed nature of the track it means it is usually dominated by the safety car. It doesn't allow for real racing - too much is determined by qualifying and sheer luck (i.e. where the crashes happen, when the safety car comes out, etc). It's only still on the calendar due to its history and elite status. In the past 11 years all but one race has been won by the person in pole position, which this year was surrounded in controversy due to Rosberg's yellow flag incident.

Yes.

It's the excitement of a street race. Add to that, F1 is a business and where's all the money these days? The UAE and Monaco.

The excitement of a street race quickly fades to the boredom of a parade.

Overtaking and Monaco don't go together.

Sutil made a few tidy overtakes, before he lost it on the bump out of the tunnel.

Yes.

It's the excitement of a street race. Add to that, F1 is a business and where's all the money these days? The UAE and Monaco.

There are plenty of countries that would love a chance to throw money at F1. Azerbaijan is next on the upcoming tracks, along with Mexico and New Jersey. There are plenty of circuits that could be added to replace Monaco. Visually it is a spectacular track and it is hugely memorable but it just isn't appropriate for modern F1 racing - heck, it doesn't even meet F1's minimum race distance.

Martin Brundle's comments when Vettel had to retire ...

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

">Click here to view the Tweet

LOL :) Brundle does have a way with words sometimes!

Thing is, it was amusing at first seeing Seb struggle a bit but now I do actually sympathise a little. It makes me wish the cars were more evenly matched and it was actually down to the skill of the drivers. I can't hand on heart, say that I found last season deadly dull with Vettel winning almost every race, only to say I'm enjoying this year because Mercedes are dominating - a one horse race is absolutely no fun at all! 

Monaco GP steward Dereck Warwick tells Lewis Hamilton to 'man up'

I don't want to give him advice really -- he has won umpteen races and a world championship -- but if I were to say anything it would be to man up and concentrate on the next race in Canada."

"I have been around a long time and seen people try to pull the wool over my eyes. Did I have doubts in my mind? Of course I did. But [Rosberg] gave me the answers I needed. I know there are conspiracy theories but you will not find a more honest driver in grand prix racing than Nico. He said himself that he made a mistake, came in too fast, braked too late and locked up his rear tyres.

'You could argue that as president of the BRDC I would have a reason to come to a decision that would have favoured the British driver, but obviously that is not how I would approach it. I am there to be independent. It is a big decision to make when you are deciding to move a driver to the back of the grid. It was doubly important to get it right because it could affect many things -- probably the outcome of the race and possibly of the world championship.

'We had all Mercedes's data, including Lewis's data to overlay on Nico's. We had the FIA data. We had onboard shots, overhead shots, circuit shots. We had throttle traces, braking traces, everything we needed to make, hopefully, the right decision. It was not black and white. It took a long time. We wanted to be sure and thorough."

I, myself have had a rethink and I'm just wondering if in fact Nico did it on purpose. Mainly because of what Lewis did in Spain. I guess we will never know.

I am a big LH fan but he has been whining on a little too much recently, I am sure it's hard when you're fighting for the championship truly for the first time since 2008 and the guy that is giving you the most competition has the exact same tools as you, has access to all the data and setup on how (in quali at least) you are faster so can quickly make up any differences.

We will never know if Rosberg intentionally broke late and caused the incident, quite frankly Lewis should no better to accept that this is motorsport and he should move on. I guess it will be a little different because they were good friends so for one friend to be possibly pulling tricks against the other is not good. I read somewhere that in two of the races (I think Spain and Bahrain) both Lewis and Nico used engine modes that were not to plan (I assumed to give more power) to try and defend/attack so this isn't the first time one of the team members have pulled a trick to try and outdo the other. I hope they manage to move on and get on with it because together, Merc has the constructors championship in the bag.

I did read an interesting article from Button too that basically said watch out for Hamilton in Canada ( A track he is known to be good at anyway) as when Hamilton gets in these types of moods (In Buttons words) he would go out and "destroy you". This is obviously in terms of his pace :p

I loved hearing Ricardo's interview post race too, I know Vettle had issues so this doesn't count but Jordan asked him how he felt about once again beating 4 time world champion etc and he replied with I'm not thinking about him, I'm thinking about trying to catch the Mercs. Perfect answer IMO, stop comparing me to Vettle, I am my own man and I plan to be faster than him on talent (which so far I would argue he has). I hope people stop trying to compare him with Vettle and see him as the very talented driver he seems to be.

Hopefully there will be some great racing from Hamilton vs Rosberg in Canada and some other fighting down the grid as i'm going to Montreal to see the race next week-end.

Can't wait to hear the new engine in person, i actually like them on tv.

Hopefully there will be some great racing from Hamilton vs Rosberg in Canada and some other fighting down the grid as i'm going to Montreal to see the race next week-end.

Can't wait to hear the new engine in person, i actually like them on tv.

The Canadian GP will be two races in one I believe: one among the two Mercedes pilots, the other for the 'best of the rest' trophy. Barring technical issues there's no way any other team can keep up with Mercedes GP on a track like Montreal.

As for the rivalry between Rosberg and Hamilton - I think it's massively overblown by the media. They are not enemies like Senna and Prost once were.

Niki Lauda is going to hit ROS and HAM over the head, and that'll be the end of the rivalry.

The Canadian GP will be two races in one I believe: one among the two Mercedes pilots, the other for the 'best of the rest' trophy. Barring technical issues there's no way any other team can keep up with Mercedes GP on a track like Montreal.

As for the rivalry between Rosberg and Hamilton - I think it's massively overblown by the media. They are not enemies like Senna and Prost once were.

Niki Lauda is going to hit ROS and HAM over the head, and that'll be the end of the rivalry.

"Niki Lauda is going to hit ROS and HAM over the head, and that'll be the end of the rivalry" for Rosberg. Hamilton will still hold a grudge, I'd put money on it.

Haas confirms debut will be in 2016

Gene Haas has confirmed that his new Formula One team is targeting the grid in 2016 rather than next year.

Haas Formula was granted a spot on the grid by the FIA for 2015, but has always kept a 2016 debut as a possibility. The team is being started from scratch with an aerodynamics department in Kannapolis, North Carolina, alongside the Stewart-Haas NASCAR headquarters, and a European base to work on the cars between races. Haas said the team would need until 2016 to get the whole operation up and running.

24223.3.jpg

"The plan is absolutely to launch in 2016 and we are fully committed to that," he told Forbes. "I don't think there is any doubt about that whatsoever. I think we will be a better team because we will have more time to plan and we will be able to do a lot more engineering in Kannapolis.

"We have been working on a building there since November of last year as part of the expansion of the NASCAR team. In about a month we will have the NASCAR site open then about a month later we will have the Formula One site operational so we can go in there.

"From a personal standpoint, I really would have liked to go racing in 2015. It was hard to sit there and say no. Trust me, I really wanted to go. The first year is always going to be tough but I think that by waiting a year we will probably only have six months of it being really tough because we will be better prepared."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/161097.html#1PhCkdrfGJ5TyScA.99

Too late for Ricciardo though.

Haas confirms debut will be in 2016

Gene Haas has confirmed that his new Formula One team is targeting the grid in 2016 rather than next year.

Haas Formula was granted a spot on the grid by the FIA for 2015, but has always kept a 2016 debut as a possibility. The team is being started from scratch with an aerodynamics department in Kannapolis, North Carolina, alongside the Stewart-Haas NASCAR headquarters, and a European base to work on the cars between races. Haas said the team would need until 2016 to get the whole operation up and running.

24223.3.jpg

"The plan is absolutely to launch in 2016 and we are fully committed to that," he told Forbes. "I don't think there is any doubt about that whatsoever. I think we will be a better team because we will have more time to plan and we will be able to do a lot more engineering in Kannapolis.

"We have been working on a building there since November of last year as part of the expansion of the NASCAR team. In about a month we will have the NASCAR site open then about a month later we will have the Formula One site operational so we can go in there.

"From a personal standpoint, I really would have liked to go racing in 2015. It was hard to sit there and say no. Trust me, I really wanted to go. The first year is always going to be tough but I think that by waiting a year we will probably only have six months of it being really tough because we will be better prepared."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/161097.html#1PhCkdrfGJ5TyScA.99

Yey, Marussia won't be last anymore :D

Yey, Marussia won't be last anymore :D

1. Marussia aren't last - Caterham are at the moment.
  2. Don't underestimate Haas. They have the racing experience to pull off a more successful start than the last three new F1 teams.