+Audioboxer

Aren't the Rifle Spear and Chikage really Bloodtinge weapons?

Rifle Spear isn't, it's skill. I pushed up my skill to 25 first, and then focussed on bloodtinge. Chikage scales with skill and bloodtinge. Skill with ordinary mode, bloodtinge with L1 mode.

Only the gun part of the rifle spear benefits from bloodtinge. Where as the L1 blade mode of the Chikage does, as it doesn't have a built in gun. I was just using the gun part of the rifle spear to stun though, and stun doesn't need bloodtinge.

Weapons with built in guns don't need bloodtinge if all you want to do is stun with them. The chikage is the only weapon that can actually benefit from it as a primary means of attack.

DirtyLarry

I have to admit, I have not played since last week, and I realized I am purposely putting it off. Today I checked out Dying Light (I had to see the April Fools physics) then fired up Driveclub for some Lambo action, and although my wife has been asleep on the couch the past hour, I am just watching TV instead of firing up Bloodborne.  :cry: I just know I am at a junction where I am about to get my ass handed to me.

So something I was thinking about.

There is no reason I cannot copy my save file to a USB thumb drive and if things really go south next time I play I can just load up the save from the thumb stick right? FTR I just realized not everyone may know what going south means. It means not good LOL

Showan

Status update

I SUCK AT BLOODBORNE...  BIG TIME....

The regular old cronies kill me... Well its been that big monster thing in Central Yharnam, down in the corner...

2 hits I'm dead... :argh:

Colin.B

Man..I took a shortcut by a woman's house and some caged dogs, ended up wandering around right back to the courtyard by said shortcut, coming across two werewolves, dying and losing all my souls err echoes. Something tells me I got lost. I'm sure I should have encountered the first boss by now. Also, I tried the saw spear for multiple mobs and maybe it's just me but I find it to be far too slow. 

compl3x

Status update

I SUCK AT BLOODBORNE...  BIG TIME....

The regular old cronies kill me... Well its been that big monster thing in Central Yharnam, down in the corner...

2 hits I'm dead... :argh:

I think this is the type of game where you have to dedicate time in order to learn the moves of the monsters and then use those experiences to defeat them. You die 1/2 a dozen times to the same enemy in order to learn their patterns and then, when you feel confident enough, go in and take that sucker out.

The Souls and Bloodborne series is about observation and practice; you are meant to die a lot. I don't think every gamer likes all of that investment, and I personally see why it might be too much for some, but that is what you are in for when it comes to this series.

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

I think this is the type of game where you have to dedicate time in order to learn the moves of the monsters and then use those experiences to defeat them. You die 1/2 a dozen times to the same enemy in order to learn their patterns and then, when you feel confident enough, go in and take that sucker out.

The Souls and Bloodborne series is about observation and practice; you are meant to die a lot. I don't think every gamer likes all of that investment, and I personally see why it might be too much for some, but that is what you are in for when it comes to this series.

Yup.

It's also about learning it's okay to die. You have to shake off that feeling from every other game that dying = failure.

Many new to Souls should try playing through with a guide if getting frustrated. There's no hand holding, it's easy to miss things, go the hard route by accident, and "mess" up stat levelling. Although Bloodborne is a bit more forgiving with stats than previous Souls games (DS2 does have respec mind you).

My tip to those struggling is to start with the axe. The R2 2 handed charge move staggers and knocks back pretty much every enemy. It's the easiest starting weapon. I'd say the cane is great for reach/speed/AOE, but it's weak to start with so requires some skill. Also pump up your vitality, more health is always good. A lot of things can one shot you, or take massive amounts of health off in one go. Skimping on vitality will make almost every battle a one or two shot scenario.

helios01

Finally beat the gattling gun dude by rushing him , after dying 4 times trying to fight him normally. I actually used the bell for the first time to summon help and it would disconnect me every single time .. Is this a known issue ?

spacer

Finally beat the gattling gun dude by rushing him , after dying 4 times trying to fight him normally. I actually used the bell for the first time to summon help and it would disconnect me every single time .. Is this a known issue ?

If you make use of rest mode, try doing a true shutdown and reboot your PS4. I had similar issues the first night, and that seemed to fix it for me.

Showan

Yup.

It's also about learning it's okay to die. You have to shake off that feeling from every other game that dying = failure.

Many new to Souls should try playing through with a guide if getting frustrated. There's no hand holding, it's easy to miss things, go the hard route by accident, and "mess" up stat levelling. Although Bloodborne is a bit more forgiving with stats than previous Souls games (DS2 does have respec mind you).

My tip to those struggling is to start with the axe. The R2 2 handed charge move staggers and knocks back pretty much every enemy. It's the easiest starting weapon. I'd say the cane is great for reach/speed/AOE, but it's weak to start with so requires some skill. Also pump up your vitality, more health is always good. A lot of things can one shot you, or take massive amounts of health off in one go. Skimping on vitality will make almost every battle a one or two shot scenario.

The dying doesn't anger as much as the load times...

That is probably the games weakest point... It really does take about 40-50seconds in between deaths...

spacer

That is probably the games weakest point... It really does take about 40-50seconds in between deaths...

The loading screen in conjunction with the loading time is killing my plasma TV. The extreme contrast of the white text on black background is causing some temporary image retention. I like to sit outside of boss fogs and get summoned to help people. So, I would see that loading screen a few times every couple of minutes.

I did that the other night for a few hours while watching TV on my laptop while the girlfriend was at work. It's good times, but it's going to kill my TV lol.

+Audioboxer

The loading screen in conjunction with the loading time is killing my plasma TV. The extreme contrast of the white text on black background is causing some temporary image retention. I like to sit outside of boss fogs and get summoned to help people. So, I would see that loading screen a few times every couple of minutes.

I did that the other night for a few hours while watching TV on my laptop while the girlfriend was at work. It's good times, but it's going to kill my TV lol.

Likewise. Although Garden Warfare was the first game to burn it's HUD into my TV.

compl3x

Yeah, this is a serious problem in a game where you need to die a lot. A lot of smaller titles where you die a lot or fail a lot make it so you can restart or replay really quickly (Meatboy and the Trials series come to mind) otherwise you would just throw in the towel and go do something else. 

DirtyLarry

I was going to say the loading times are not bad on my end at all, but then I remembered I did swap out the default drive for a hybrid one, so that must be helping things on my end, as I really feel like I am not waiting long at all, and definitely not 40-50 seconds. I will time it next time to see. 

I might play a little now, still have not played since I last posted. And DAMN IT ALL, as soon as I post I might play, I hear my wife waking up upstairs!!!! I specifically woke up earlier to play, and I guess I made too much noise or some ######. Ahhh life as a 40 year old gamer, not always fun LOL

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

I was going to say the loading times are not bad on my end at all, but then I remembered I did swap out the default drive for a hybrid one, so that must be helping things on my end, as I really feel like I am not waiting long at all, and definitely not 40-50 seconds. I will time it next time to see. 

I might play a little now, still have not played since I last posted. And DAMN IT ALL, as soon as I post I might play, I hear my wife waking up upstairs!!!! I specifically woke up earlier to play, and I guess I made too much noise or some ######. Ahhh life as a 40 year old gamer, not always fun LOL

I have a hybrid and it's still too long given how much you die, and that to warp you need to load back to safe haven, and then load to area. In DS1/2 you could warp between bonfires rather than having to go back to a main hub each time.

I'd say it's 30-40 seconds for me.

helios01

If you make use of rest mode, try doing a true shutdown and reboot your PS4. I had similar issues the first night, and that seemed to fix it for me.

That did it, thanks. Finally got to the boss on this level, have not had the time to get through him.

One thing, how do I invade? 

DirtyLarry

I have a hybrid and it's still too long given how much you die, and that to warp you need to load back to safe haven, and then load to area. In DS1/2 you could warp between bonfires rather than having to go back to a main hub each time.

I'd say it's 30-40 seconds for me.

Yep, I guess it is longer than I realized, I timed it and it was 35 seconds. That is crazy.

So AARRRRGH First attempt on the Cleric Beast got him down to about 25%, and the damn geometry of the level got in the way, I totally got stuck. Lost about 1200 BE's Damn. I feel like I would have had it too.

So that does mean I unlocked my first Insight. Should I just farm that initial downtown area for awhile and level some stats up? Any stats I should be focusing on?

spacer

That did it, thanks. Finally got to the boss on this level, have not had the time to get through him.

One thing, how do I invade? 

You need to get 10 insight in order for a new shop to open up in the dream. In that shop, you can buy the small resonant bell (get summoned by others) and the sinister resonant bell. (invade others)

Yep, I guess it is longer than I realized, I timed it and it was 35 seconds. That is crazy.

So AARRRRGH First attempt on the Cleric Beast got him down to about 25%, and the damn geometry of the level got in the way, I totally got stuck. Lost about 1200 BE's Damn. I feel like I would have had it too.

So that does mean I unlocked my first Insight. Should I just farm that initial downtown area for awhile and level some stats up? Any stats I should be focusing on?

You can see your current insight in the top right corner of the screen underneath your echos.

You get one insight for entering a boss arena for the first time, 3 for defeating a boss, 1 for helping others defeat their boss, and 1 for using a Madman's Knowledge. There might be some other obscure ways to get insight, but those are main ways to get it.

DirtyLarry

You need to get 10 insight in order for a new shop to open up in the dream. In that shop, you can buy the small resonant bell (get summoned by others) and the sinister resonant bell. (invade others)

You can see your current insight in the top right corner of the screen underneath your echos.

You get one insight for entering a boss arena for the first time, 3 for defeating a boss, 1 for helping others defeat their boss, and 1 for using a Madman's Knowledge. There might be some other obscure ways to get insight, but those are main ways to get it.

Thanks. The other question I am wondering is what stats should I focus on? Vitality? Endurance? Strength? Skill? Bloodtinge? Arcane? Whats most beneficial early on?

+Audioboxer

Thanks. The other question I am wondering is what stats should I focus on? Vitality? Endurance? Strength? Skill? Bloodtinge? Arcane? Whats most beneficial early on?

Vitality > Skill/Strength > Endurance.

Endurance can be capped at 20 for most of the game to give you enough to attack/dodge. Skill or Strength depending on what weapon you want to mostly use. Although some weapons can benefit from both. Leave Bloodtinge and Arcane, they're for experts I'd say who want a specific build. I wouldn't be too concerned with them as a new player to the Souls series with your first attempt to complete the game.

You can check the scaling of all the weapons here - http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Trick+Weapons

E is the worst, S is the best. Scaling improves as you upgrade the weapons with stones. Weapons soft cap with scaling at either 25 strength or skill. After 25 up to 50 the returns are only 1 point. Up to 25 it's 2 points in attack. This doesn't mean to stop at 25, but not to neglect other stats if you've pumped strength or skill to 25 quickly.

If you're unsure what weapons to use or want to try them all, you can aim for a quality build. In Souls games this means putting up both strength and skill (or dexterity as it was once named). For this get them both up to 25 as a starting goal and leave them there until end game or NG+ where you can continue to add to them both. The Holy Blade scales from both skill and strength equally, and it's a very good weapon which you can get after the second boss. If you ignore bloodtinge and arcane completely, there's more than enough echoes and opportunity to level to support a quality build.

I'd get your vitality up to 20 as a main focus for now. It will help keep you alive. Early on upgrading a weapon, or inserting gems which you'll start getting fairly soon can more than cover your damage output to focus a bit more on vitality. Once vitality is levelled a bit, start with stength/skill or them both. Don't ignore endurance as it is needed for your stamina bar, but definitely early on, vitality > endurance.

• Like 2
DirtyLarry

Vitality > Skill/Strength > Endurance.

Endurance can be capped at 20 for most of the game to give you enough to attack/dodge. Skill or Strength depending on what weapon you want to mostly use. Although some weapons can benefit from both. Leave Bloodtinge and Arcane, they're for experts I'd say who want a specific build. I wouldn't be too concerned with them as a new player to the Souls series with your first attempt to complete the game.

You can check the scaling of all the weapons here - http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Trick+Weapons

E is the worst, S is the best. Scaling improves as you upgrade the weapons with stones. Weapons soft cap with scaling at either 25 strength or skill. After 25 up to 50 the returns are only 1 point. Up to 25 it's 2 points in attack. This doesn't mean to stop at 25, but not to neglect other stats if you've pumped strength or skill to 25 quickly.

If you're unsure what weapons to use or want to try them all, you can aim for a quality build. In Souls games this means putting up both strength and skill (or dexterity as it was once named). For this get them both up to 25 as a starting goal and leave them there until end game or NG+ where you can continue to add to them both. The Holy Blade scales from both skill and strength equally, and it's a very good weapon which you can get after the second boss. If you ignore bloodtinge and arcane completely, there's more than enough echoes and opportunity to level to support a quality build.

I'd get your vitality up to 20 as a main focus for now. It will help keep you alive. Early on upgrading a weapon, or inserting gems which you'll start getting fairly soon can more than cover your damage output to focus a bit more on vitality. Once vitality is levelled a bit, start with stength/skill or them both. Don't ignore endurance as it is needed for your stamina bar, but definitely early on, vitality > endurance.

Thanks AB.

Just kept going through that main first area, got Vitality to 17 and did Strength & Skill 1 or 2 times each.

Does one get more blood echoes for the stunned type of kill as well? I have been focusing on it just to get the timing down, but it does also seem like you get some more Blood Echoes using it?

+Audioboxer

Thanks AB.

Just kept going through that main first area, got Vitality to 17 and did Strength & Skill 1 or 2 times each.

Does one get more blood echoes for the stunned type of kill as well? I have been focusing on it just to get the timing down, but it does also seem like you get some more Blood Echoes using it?

Nah, it's just a critical hit, killing most enemies outright. It's a good idea what you've done though as it can be used on bosses as well. Being able to pull off a parry can really help you out at times, especially against tough enemies like NPC hunters. Later on you'll come across certain equipable items that will reward you for these attacks (called visceral attacks in game). Maybe with greater health returns, items and such ;)

Look up the location of ludwigs holy blade if you want, or go by my tip of looking for it after the second boss. It might be after the third though on memory now. After the second you can buy another good weapon automatically, the hammer. It's more strength scaling, where as ludwigs is full on quality, but it's still a beast of a weapon for helping with hard enemies and bosses.

Colin.B

I found the Cleric Beast. I had no idea the house with the guy in the wheelchair had an upstairs. Yay for torches.

I beat him on my 2nd attempt but Father G? I think I've tried 5 or 6 times. 

Should I switch from the saw cleaver to the Kirkhammer? I've upgraded my cleaver twice already. I was also thinking of switching out my pistol for the repeater pistol but I'm not sure.

+Audioboxer

I found the Cleric Beast. I had no idea the house with the guy in the wheelchair had an upstairs. Yay for torches.

I beat him on my 2nd attempt but Father G? I think I've tried 5 or 6 times. 

Should I switch from the saw cleaver to the Kirkhammer? I've upgraded my cleaver twice already. I was also thinking of switching out my pistol for the repeater pistol but I'm not sure.

Father G is tough. Parry, and then molotovs for his last form will help. Try summoning for help also.

The repeater pistol isn't anything special. Fires two bullets instead of one but that doesn't improve parrying in any way.

+Audioboxer

Next-gen version patch came out today

CBIk-cEUkAAOca8.jpg:orig