compl3x

God, the comment section on there is an absolute cesspit of nonsense. No wonder people have a negative view of gamers.

It's so weird to use words like "betrayed" in the context of a game being released on a platform you don't own. Betrayed is coming home and finding your wife in bed with a colleague or finding out your best-friend took the money they told you they were investing for you and running off to the Bahamas... With your wife.

And as people have already pointed out, why bother petitioning From Software? Sony is who you'd have to convince.

• Like 1
DirtyLarry

So much for me thinking the game would not kick my ass.

Holy ######. I suck at this game. Really, truly suck.  :rofl:

I just get so obsessed with not losing my Blood Echoes, but then I do. It seems like they replenish fast enough with combat though, which is what I currently suck at.

Game looks pretty good. Yeah there is some slow down but nothing that is a deal breaker, no worse than Evil Within, in fact probably better overall, and I played that entirely, so yeah, definitely somewhat exaggerated on that side of things.

I just need a good full day with this game before I can form a full opinion.

Being a complete noob to From's games, 2 hours was just not enough to not get my ass handed to me at every single turn.

• Like 2
+Audioboxer

So much for me thinking the game would not kick my ass.

Holy ######. I suck at this game. Really, truly suck. :rofl:

I just get so obsessed with not losing my Blood Echoes, but then I do. It seems like they replenish fast enough with combat though, which is what I currently suck at.

Game looks pretty good. Yeah there is some slow down but nothing that is a deal breaker, no worse than Evil Within, in fact probably better overall, and I played that entirely, so yeah, definitely somewhat exaggerated on that side of things.

I just need a good full day with this game before I can form a full opinion.

Being a complete noob to From's games, 2 hours was just not enough to not get my ass handed to me at every single turn.

It's not an easy first outing as with the previous Souls games you could 'turtle' behind a shield. Learning how to parry with the gun helps. What class did you choose at the start, and what weapon? The Hunter axe is good for a beginner as well as the blunderbuss (it does less damage but stuns easier). A lot of people like the flashy cane, but I'd say it's better suited to a veteran. 

If you go strength weapons, violent past or ex military (its something like that) are two good choices for early stat distribution. Pebbles are your friend to separate enemies from each other. Molotovs do a lot of damage early on, and to the first boss. These can be farmed or bought in the hunters dream.

The second boss is quite the bitch. I foresee a fair few people having issues. Some cool story attached to him if you find it. From are good at subtely telling a story.

+Audioboxer

Finally killed the second boss. Next areas are fricking huge. Lots of secrets and hidden things as well. Go back to hunters refuge often, and also backtracking to talk to NPCs you may have met earlier sometimes gives you things ;) There's no quest log in a Souls game, it's all about working things out yourself.

If anyone needs help with the 1st/2nd boss let me know. Once you have 10 insight you can buy the summoning bell that lets you help others. Hard to get 10 insight until after the second boss. I'm level 18. I believe for co-op its something like 5 or 10 levels apart you can be, max.

DirtyLarry

It's not an easy first outing as with the previous Souls games you could 'turtle' behind a shield. Learning how to parry with the gun helps. What class did you choose at the start, and what weapon? The Hunter axe is good for a beginner as well as the blunderbuss (it does less damage but stuns easier). A lot of people like the flashy cane, but I'd say it's better suited to a veteran. 

If you go strength weapons, violent past or ex military (its something like that) are two good choices for early stat distribution. Pebbles are your friend to separate enemies from each other. Molotovs do a lot of damage early on, and to the first boss. These can be farmed or bought in the hunters dream.

The second boss is quite the bitch. I foresee a fair few people having issues. Some cool story attached to him if you find it. From are good at subtely telling a story.

First character I tried was just on instinct, meaning I did not read anything online, etc., so I went with Violent Past, Axe, Blunderbuss.

Second character I tried was after I tried the character above for 45 minutes and felt he was a bit slow, so I found some article online that said their DMC like setup was good for people who rely more on skill and faster movement, so I tried that. It was Lone Survivor, Cane, Blunderbuss. I did like the dexterity of that character more I would say, although the cane was clearly a bit weaker, I think I prefer the speed of it overall.

So full admission, I never tried a single pebble, so that could be my problem.  :blush:  :laugh:

I really consider last night just a warm up and introduction. I am probably going to start from scratch even. It is not like I even got far, I was still right in the beginning of Yarsham where the mobs and dudes are in the street by the guy with the gun. I actually cleared that bottom area out (without pebbles LOL) and was about to go take care of the dude with a gun then a hell hound dog came out of nowhere. Was not cool.  :rofl:

Showan

Finally killed the second boss. Next areas are fricking huge. Lots of secrets and hidden things as well. Go back to hunters refuge often, and also backtracking to talk to NPCs you may have met earlier sometimes gives you things ;) There's no quest log in a Souls game, it's all about working things out yourself.

If anyone needs help with the 1st/2nd boss let me know. Once you have 10 insight you can buy the summoning bell that lets you help others. Hard to get 10 insight until after the second boss. I'm level 18. I believe for co-op its something like 5 or 10 levels apart you can be, max.

Thanks to all your going on, I fell into the Bloodborne trap... thanks a lot...  :woot:  :D  :)  :rolleyes: .... I don't even like Souls type of games....

All I achieved so far is my "Contract" (character setup)... I did manage to see the Demon Dog thingy come out the blood pool and burn and those ghouls who swarm you.

Once that was done, and I woke up on the gurney, I turned the game off... 

Well the good thing is, I had $44.00 sitting my Playstation wallet for months (was just gonna use it on the Witcher 3)...

DirtyLarry

AB, is there a way to store Blood Echoes in the Hunters Dream house? I am guessing no since I did not see any way, but am asking for the obvious reason of you lose them every time you die.

+Audioboxer

First character I tried was just on instinct, meaning I did not read anything online, etc., so I went with Violent Past, Axe, Blunderbuss.

Second character I tried was after I tried the character above for 45 minutes and felt he was a bit slow, so I found some article online that said their DMC like setup was good for people who rely more on skill and faster movement, so I tried that. It was Lone Survivor, Cane, Blunderbuss. I did like the dexterity of that character more I would say, although the cane was clearly a bit weaker, I think I prefer the speed of it overall.

So full admission, I never tried a single pebble, so that could be my problem.  :blush:  :laugh:

I really consider last night just a warm up and introduction. I am probably going to start from scratch even. It is not like I even got far, I was still right in the beginning of Yarsham where the mobs and dudes are in the street by the guy with the gun. I actually cleared that bottom area out (without pebbles LOL) and was about to go take care of the dude with a gun then a hell hound dog came out of nowhere. Was not cool.  :rofl:

Yeah a cane/dex (called skill now) is still a popular build. The canes whip AOE attack is helpful for groups. It does do less damage though. I'm rocking the Kirkhammer which is a STR weapon but it doubles as a fast sword, which locks into the hammer on pressing L1. The hammer is great for staggering if you can land its slow blows effectively.

Pebbles are a great item, use them :D

AB, is there a way to store Blood Echoes in the Hunters Dream house? I am guessing no since I did not see any way, but am asking for the obvious reason of you lose them every time you die.

No way to store them. Early on just use them to level up (or at the weapons table upgrade your cane which helps with damage). There's a set of armour you can buy from the messenger that is worthwhile getting asap. You may need to kill the first boss to unlock it though. There is one other set of armour that can be found pre-1st boss. When you die you either need to make it back to where you lost echoes and pick them up, or a new mechanic this time around is sometimes an enemy absorbs them. Their eyes will be glowing. You then have to kill them to get your echoes back!

edit: I should add to level up you either need to find 1 point of insight (from an item called madmans knowledge), or if you make it to the first boss and die you can then level up (gives you 1 insight automatically). A certain doll comes alive ;)

Ironman273

The Moment I Lost Everything In Bloodborne

ctqbcotjjtkcirhp8c33.jpg

In terms of the way we discuss it, playing From Software games is kinda like fishing. You once caught a fish this big. You beat this boss first time. You were wandering around Anor Londo with 500,000 souls in New Game+ and got skewered by archers 500 metres away.

The stories are part of what makes these games so compelling, so I thought I might share one

+Audioboxer

^ I would read that but fear for spoilers!

By the way, those damn crows scare the bejesus out of me early on with headphones on. This is definitely more horror than any other Souls game.

edit: By the way Larry and any other newcomers, check this out - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1017169

edit2: Jim Sterling gave the game 10/10, you can watch a video of his impressions here with spoilers (not embedding as he usually swears a bit).

Ironman273

Very very slight spoilers (there's a boss in a place) but it's a good read.  Author is definitely in the spirit of the Souls games :D

DirtyLarry

So doing some reading and research at lunchtime and just overall thinking about it some more, I think I have accepted the fact this game is just not meant for me. I am going to give it one or two, possibly three more attempts, before I make a final decision, but I am already very heavily leaning towards trading it in.

Part of what is inspiring me to make this decision is if I submit it for a trade in now, I will actually make $1.51 as far as what I paid out of pocket for it.

This does also mean I basically used a $10 & $5 Best Buy reward zone certificates for nothing, however I think if I accept the fact now and cut my losses, losing them is not as bad as potentially losing any of my money out of pocket. I paid $36 of my own cash for the game, and Amazon is offering $37.51 for trade it right now.

It really is quite simple as to why I think this game is just not for me. I do think I could ultimately figure it out with some patience, however just taking into consideration I only get to play games between 4 and 6 hours for the entire week, and most of the time that consists of a session that is 30 to 60 minutes long, my gaming habits are just not very conducive to me actually (eventually) enjoy this game. This is clearly a game that one needs to put in a decent amount of time to learn the intricacies, remember what they have done previously, etc., to truly become good at it.

The unfortunate reality of my situation is I just do not have the time anymore.

On one hand I did know this very well could be the case going into the game. I had just thought with all of the talk that they made it friendlier than their previous games that perhaps it would not be.

I also believe the other truth is not all games are going to appeal to all people. This is quite alright, and in fact what makes the world go round. Some people like country music, some people like EDM. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone. This is okay.

It really is a game that is just not conducive for my playing habits,. And although it potentially could be, truth be told I do not want to waste the time figuring out if it is. I have an insane backlog of games still that I know I can play and enjoy. Perhaps I am robbing myself of the gaming experience of a life time. Perhaps I am saving myself from wasting months on one game to only ultimately never be good at it. Who knows.

Some are going to view this as me giving up entirely too early. You are of course entitled to that opinion. I view it as me accepting reality sooner rather than later, or in other words... Why prolong the inevitable? I will give it one to two more chances over the next couple of days, but I think I already am pretty settled on the fact it is just not for me, and again, that is okay.

+Audioboxer

So doing some reading and research at lunchtime and just overall thinking about it some more, I think I have accepted the fact this game is just not meant for me. I am going to give it one or two, possibly three more attempts, before I make a final decision, but I am already very heavily leaning towards trading it in.

Part of what is inspiring me to make this decision is if I submit it for a trade in now, I will actually make $1.51 as far as what I paid out of pocket for it.

This does also mean I basically used a $10 & $5 Best Buy reward zone certificates for nothing, however I think if I accept the fact now and cut my losses, losing them is not as bad as potentially losing any of my money out of pocket. I paid $36 of my own cash for the game, and Amazon is offering $37.51 for trade it right now.

It really is quite simple as to why I think this game is just not for me. I do think I could ultimately figure it out with some patience, however just taking into consideration I only get to play games between 4 and 6 hours for the entire week, and most of the time that consists of a session that is 30 to 60 minutes long, my gaming habits are just not very conducive to me actually (eventually) enjoy this game. This is clearly a game that one needs to put in a decent amount of time to learn the intricacies, remember what they have done previously, etc., to truly become good at it.

The unfortunate reality of my situation is I just do not have the time anymore.

On one hand I did know this very well could be the case going into the game. I had just thought with all of the talk that they made it friendlier than their previous games that perhaps it would not be.

I also believe the other truth is not all games are going to appeal to all people. This is quite alright, and in fact what makes the world go round. Some people like country music, some people like EDM. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone. This is okay.

It really is a game that is just not conducive for my playing habits,. And although it potentially could be, truth be told I do not want to waste the time figuring out if it is. I have an insane backlog of games still that I know I can play and enjoy. Perhaps I am robbing myself of the gaming experience of a life time. Perhaps I am saving myself from wasting months on one game to only ultimately never be good at it. Who knows.

Some are going to view this as me giving up entirely too early. You are of course entitled to that opinion. I view it as me accepting reality sooner rather than later, or in other words... Why prolong the inevitable? I will give it one to two more chances over the next couple of days, but I think I already am pretty settled on the fact it is just not for me, and again, that is okay.

It just gets harder Larry, trust me lol.

It's taken most reviewers tens of hours, that gives you an idea how much an average gamer needs to invest just to get through the game.

If I were you I'd cash in just now, wait for the game to drop in price and then pickup the official guide along with it (it's delayed to April the 10th). And maybe over summer or Christmas holidays?

I could also suggest trying the Dark Souls 2 remaster for PS4/Xbox One? Tbh but Bloodborne is a bit of a different beast, even us seasoned Souls players are finding it a challenge.

Hedon

Me at the beginning as I started the game...seconds before I died seeing the FIRST enemy. Only to respawn, see the first enemy, and die again. I am sucking pretty bad at this!

post-31034-0-85434200-1427308789.jpg

DirtyLarry

Me at the beginning as I started the game...seconds before I died seeing the FIRST enemy. Only to respawn, see the first enemy, and die again. I am sucking pretty bad at this!

attachicon.gif10353324_10152704233241440_8395468132686924934_o.jpg

I died upwards of 15 times before I decided to search online to see if perhaps I was doing something wrong. I was.  :laugh:

It just gets harder Larry, trust me lol.

It's taken most reviewers tens of hours, that gives you an idea how much an average gamer needs to invest just to get through the game.

If I were you I'd cash in just now, wait for the game to drop in price and then pickup the official guide along with it (it's delayed to April the 10th). And maybe over summer or Christmas holidays?

I could also suggest trying the Dark Souls 2 remaster for PS4/Xbox One? Tbh but Bloodborne is a bit of a different beast, even us seasoned Souls players are finding it a challenge.

Thanks AB. I just submitted my trade in so I get the cash value for it now. Good thing about Amazon is I still have a few days to either change my mind or send it in as well.

I guess I forgot to mention I actually already had an online walkthrough open when I tried it last night?  :|:laugh: In all fairness though it was a very vague walkthrough, it was go here and go there, not use pebbles to distract each person individually.

But yeah I think your suggestion is ultimately the best. I just need to wait for a stretch of time I have time to dedicate to it properly. I also am not ashamed to use a walkthrough if needed. Also by then, I can just rent it from GameFly probably, which I should have listened to my gut and done so right from the beginning, but part of me I think was desperate to have that first killer game for the PS4 as well.

It really is fine with me though. As I said not every game is made for everybody. I can now pick up The Evil Within Season Pass and check out that new DLC. (Y)

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

@Kvally, Did you pickup your weapons? You're suppose to die the first time around unarmed (some crazy people can manage it with fists).

Hedon

I died upwards of 15 times before I decided to search online to see if perhaps I was doing something wrong. I was.  :laugh:

Thanks AB. I just submitted my trade in so I get the cash value for it now. Good thing about Amazon is I still have a few days to either change my mind or send it in as well.

I guess I forgot to mention I actually already had an online walkthrough open when I tried it last night?  :|:laugh: In all fairness though it was a very vague walkthrough, it was go here and go there, not use pebbles to distract each person individually.

But yeah I think your suggestion is ultimately the best. I just need to wait for a stretch of time I have time to dedicate to it properly. I also am not ashamed to use a walkthrough if needed. Also by then, I can just rent it from GameFly probably, which I should have listened to my gut and done so right from the beginning, but part of me I think was desperate to have that first killer game for the PS4 as well.

It really is fine with me though. As I said not every game is made for everybody. I can now pick up The Evil Within Season Pass and check out that new DLC. (Y)

I am finding that out too Larry. Someone on another forum has me watching this walk-through, which I can see will help me when I get back to the game tonight. This will of course be carrying spoilers because it is the first 40 minutes of the game, but it makes sense to me now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfeBHAfpZQ

@Kvally, Did you pickup your weapons? You're suppose to die the first time around unarmed (some crazy people can manage it with fists).

I have not picked up my weapons yet, as I didn't realize there were any once I died (now I can see where they are in the video above). Thank you, that indeed helps.

• Like 1
compl3x

I want to see some videos of you lot get your arses kicked! :p

DirtyLarry

Hmmm. So played it again tonight. And I cleared out that first area!!! Got enough Blood Echoes were I decided to take the advice of that thread on Gaf and even though I had not died, decided to go back to the Hunters Dream and purchase the Hunters Gear. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to clear that first area out now.

My one and only question is is there a secret to throwing the pebbles accurately?

So yeah, I have until April 1st to decide if I am going to trade it in to Amazon, and I have to say one night has made a small difference. Granted I am NOWHERE near actually achieving anything, but the game does not seem anywhere near as daunting as it did last night.

+Audioboxer

Hmmm. So played it again tonight. And I cleared out that first area!!! Got enough Blood Echoes were I decided to take the advice of that thread on Gaf and even though I had not died, decided to go back to the Hunters Dream and purchase the Hunters Gear. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to clear that first area out now.

My one and only question is is there a secret to throwing the pebbles accurately?

So yeah, I have until April 1st to decide if I am going to trade it in to Amazon, and I have to say one night has made a small difference. Granted I am NOWHERE near actually achieving anything, but the game does not seem anywhere near as daunting as it did last night.

That's 101 to how Souls grabs people. Small steady progress :p

I can honestly say though things do get tougher. The game will be a timesink for you Larry, but give it a go over the next few nights.

As for the pebbles, they have limited range. Lock on and throw is all you can do. You'll find some throwing knives eventually as well. The pistol is also decent at pulling from range.

I have some videos to upload, I'll put them up tomorrow.

Here's a video of something else for tonight

https://youtube.com/watch?v=58K0snbf1H0

DirtyLarry

AB I am an idiot, I was not locking on. Have not really used that mechanice at all, so yeah, I am a dumb ass...

And the Netherbeasts on the bridge spoiled my good run. In fact it looks like one of the bastards may have approximately 3500 Blood Echoes LOL Unless they just happen to be sitting out.

Yeah I am torn here man. I am.

Seriously if I had the time to dedicate to this game I would be super into it. Tuesday and Wednesday nights are THE nights I get to play on a weeknight, so I probably will not play again until Friday night if I am lucky.

I can say that Hunter Gear seems to have already paid off.

I am just torn.

Will see. Have a couple of nights. And I actually put it on my GameFly queue even though it currently says Low Availability, sometimes those games still ship. If it ships, it is not even a question. If it does not, I will see.

Thanks again for all the help thus far. (Y)

If I do decide to keep playing, I am sure I will have PLENTY more questions.

+Audioboxer

AB I am an idiot, I was not locking on. Have not really used that mechanice at all, so yeah, I am a dumb ass...

And the Netherbeasts on the bridge spoiled my good run. In fact it looks like one of the bastards may have approximately 3500 Blood Echoes LOL Unless they just happen to be sitting out.

Yeah I am torn here man. I am.

Seriously if I had the time to dedicate to this game I would be super into it. Tuesday and Wednesday nights are THE nights I get to play on a weeknight, so I probably will not play again until Friday night if I am lucky.

I can say that Hunter Gear seems to have already paid off.

I am just torn.

Will see. Have a couple of nights. And I actually put it on my GameFly queue even though it currently says Low Availability, sometimes those games still ship. If it ships, it is not even a question. If it does not, I will see.

Thanks again for all the help thus far. (Y)

If I do decide to keep playing, I am sure I will have PLENTY more questions.

You weren't using lock on?! LOL... Larry!

No wonder you were finding things even harder. It changes how you dodge as well. In the hunters dream there are lots of messengers who display early game mechanics.

The first boss doesn't like fire. Take 10 molotovs. If you throw an oil urn at him first and then a molotov it does even more damage. Ah, wait, you mean the werewolves on the bridge before the boss. Same tip applies though, beasts are all weak to fire. Don't waste oil on these guys though, just throw molotovs. There is a shortcut that let's you skip the werewolves and come out further up the bridge.

Another tip, doors or windows with a red light outside can be spoken to. Some give you items or useful info.

DirtyLarry

You weren't using lock on?! LOL... Larry!

No wonder you were finding things even harder. It changes how you dodge as well. In the hunters dream there are lots of messengers who display early game mechanics.

The first boss doesn't like fire. Take 10 molotovs. If you throw an oil urn at him first and then a molotov it does even more damage. Ah, wait, you mean the werewolves on the bridge before the boss. Same tip applies though, beasts are all weak to fire. Don't waste oil on these guys though, just throw molotovs. There is a shortcut that let's you skip the werewolves and come out further up the bridge.

Another tip, doors or windows with a red light outside can be spoken to. Some give you items or useful info.

Nah I knew about the existence of the lock on mechanic, I did read the game mechanics tips in the Hunters Dream, saw the one video you posted the other day for Beginners, even saw in the options there is a gameplay option to where it will either automatically go to the next enemy or not, I guess I just did not know how important it was. I never use it in other games if it is an option, so it will just be a matter of making myself do something I never do otherwise. Who knows maybe I will be even better once I start using it. LOL

Shortcut you say to skip the wolves on the bridge? Hmmm, it must be either back by the fountain with the crows or even before that. I need to check it out, those wolves were/are a bitch.

spacer

Well, I left work early on Tuesday to get home and play this game. I played for a few hours, and it's everything I hoped it would be. It's definitely a Souls game, but the tweaks they have made to the mechanics make it fresh and pretty damn great.

I burned a sick day yesterday so I could play the game for a good chunk of time. :shifty:

I went with the Military Veteran origin and Threaded Cane (awesome) and haven't had much trouble once I got used to the combat system. I died a few times on each boss, mostly because I didn't know what to expect, but that's where the fun of the Souls games comes from. Learning from your (often times, hilarious) deaths.

I have 3 bosses down now, a couple sets of armor, a couple weapons, and a good chunk of items. So far, the only thing I don't like is the lack of equipment load/fat-rolling. For some reason I like the equipment meta in the previous Souls games, so the lack of that meta in Bloodborne is a bit of a disappointment. But it's a small one. I just hope the lack of equipment meta doesn't make everyone too "same-y" in multiplayer.

Which, brings me to the new bell system. It's pretty good. It's hands-off, which is nice, because you don't have to hunt for signs and it's easier to play with randoms. And, the passcode feature makes it easier to play with friends without fear of randoms if you so choose. And no soul memory nonsense in sight!

Loving the game so far. (Y)

Co-op: anecdotal evidence of the co-op sessions my brother and I had seems to indicate that summoning range is similar (so far) to the dark souls "+/- 10 + 10%" rule and proximity. Pretty consistently, my brother and I would try to summon each other and nothing would happen until we were within a small, undetermined distance of each other in our respective worlds. So if you need help with a boss, I think it would be easier to wait near the boss fog rather than near a lantern. (as was common in Dark Souls)

edit:

I forgot to mention my biggest dislike with the game. Minor enemy type spoiler:

There are NPC hunters that are hostile, and they are poorly balanced. They have all of the same tools and moves that you do (guns, weapons, dodges, and healing items) and SOME of the mechanics (they have a health regain system just like you do) so they are pretty tough. However, they have a TON of health, 

infinite stamina, and their healing items restore 100% of their health. They are complete and utter BS. Both hunters I have encountered so far were, by far, the hardest fights in the game simply because they are playing without rules. They quite literally never stop dodging, attacking, and shooting. And if you manage to damage them a lot, you can't give them more than a second without them popping a vial and fully heal themselves. (Gyula, the machine gunner) They're an unfair challenge, and they're frustrating as hell because of it.

Edited by spacer