Time Travel, do you believe in time travel?

There are some that believe if you could travel back, you would stay within your own reality

Paradoxes, hence why scientists theorize we could only go forward in time in our own universe and if we were to go back, it'd be parallel universes.

I already made a post with all that a few pages back. No need for repetition.

There's a theory that if you could travel faster than the speed of light and then look back at your original point, you'd be able to see yourself leaving. Is that time travel? 

In terms of going forward/back years, I don't think it's possible. 

There's a theory that if you could travel faster than the speed of light and then look back at your original point, you'd be able to see yourself leaving. Is that time travel? 

Wormholes could do that if one existed, you'd be able to see yourself enter the wormhole if it wrapped around behind you, kind of like Portal! :p

wasnt it stated that if a time machine was built it could only go back to the first day it was built.

because the machine didnt exist before that.

That would be observing the past, not going back. It is a plausible possibility and one day such device might be built, but it'd get banned by supersti... I mean, religious bodies for obvious reasons. :D

There is no question about going forward; we are even doing it now.

Wormholes could do that if one existed, you'd be able to see yourself enter the wormhole if it wrapped around behind you, kind of like Portal! :p

That is a different topic.

None of that has any relation to what macoman said. There is ZERO evidence for alien life, there is evidence for other galaxies. 

Yes but the original statement implied seeing is believing. Only now we're talking about evidence which is a different concept. That is what I'm getting at. 

This has kept me from writing about my beloved NGSCB, but . . . here you go, Siah1214. If you decide to read this post of mine, I ask that you please keep an open mind. Note that although I do not believe in time, I cannot describe my beliefs without using words that are associated with it. I hope that this doesn't throw any of you off. Note also that this is not as thorough as it could be as I've tried to keep it fairly simple for those unfamiliar with the idea.

I believe that the only thing that exists in objective reality is movement, and that what we perceive as time exists only within our imagination; i.e., it is a tool that we use to explain events - events caused by movement, as nothing can happen without movement - and to measure movement itself. You may ask "How can there be movement without time?" While what humanity defines as time cannot exist without movement (for reasons mentioned above), the inverse is not true. Movement does not rely on time. Think of a clock, for example. A clock is a tool used by humanity to measure what is defined as time - milliseconds, seconds, minutes, hours, and et cetera - by means of mechanical parts or electrical instructions. Time itself is not what causes the clock to function, movement is. Milliseconds, et cetera themselves do not objectively exist because they are defined by humanity; that is to say, they do not exist in objective reality because they are, by their nature, human-defined measurements of activity (or inactivity). There is nothing absolute about what humanity defines as a millisecond, or a minute, or a hour. These measurements could be "longer" or "shorter" if desired.

The past is comprised of events which are caused by movement from one position to another position (it does not matter what this event is; move your leg, take a breath, etc.)  I believe that these events cannot be changed due to the nature of the universe. For example, visualize yourself writing a sentence, and then deleting that sentence. Deleting the sentence does not change the fact that the sentence was written.

Jil5DBR.gif
In this example, how is it conceivably possible to "go back in time" and "undo" the movement of the Earth orbiting the Sun when the Earth is merely changing its position in the universe?

The phenomena that occurs in nature (including our choices) affect us and/or other people, places, and things, and the potential result(s) of this phenomena is what we refer to as the future. For this reason, time traveling into the future is not possible because the future itself does not exist. Some have suggested that time travel into the future is possible because of time dilation. Perhaps the most famous example of time dilation is the "twin paradox" where one twin remains on the Earth, and the other twin boards a rocket moving almost as quickly as the speed of light. When the second twin arrives back to Earth, he sees that his brother has aged considerably, whereas he himself has barely aged at all. As wonderful as this all is, it is not a result of traveling into the future. I believe that the acceleration of the rocket has inhibited the twin's aging process (in a sense similar to what happens when one freezes something, the movement of its molecules decreases).

I hope that this makes sense to you. I believe that this view of the universe allows us to look beyond the seemingly irreconcilable differences between quantum mechanics and relativity, and that it also answers some of the most perplexing philosophical and religious questions, such as "Did time exist before the Big Bang?" and "What is eternity like?"

Events after 2000 have been altered by him returning from the future, so it makes sense things won't be the same as in his story. The chance he did time travel is slim but still events not happening is not proof he didn't.

I can see altering events in the past, but how can past events be changed in the future?

That would be observing the past, not going back. It is a plausible possibility and one day such device might be built, but it'd get banned by supersti... I mean, religious bodies for obvious reasons. :D

There is no question about going forward; we are even doing it now.

That is a different topic.

And yet it was relevant to what the person I quoted was talking about. It's a limited scope version of time travel but it's still time travel in a way! :p

This has kept me from writing about my beloved NGSCB, but . . . here you go, Siah1214. If you decide to read this post of mine, I ask that you please keep an open mind. Note that although I do not believe in time, I cannot describe my beliefs without using words that are associated with it. I hope that this doesn't throw any of you off. Note also that this is not as thorough as it could be as I've tried to keep it fairly simple for those unfamiliar with the idea.

I believe that the only thing that exists in objective reality is movement, and that what we perceive as time exists only within our imagination; i.e., it is a tool that we use to explain events - events caused by movement, as nothing can happen without movement - and to measure movement itself. You may ask "How can there be movement without time?" While what humanity defines as time cannot exist without movement (for reasons mentioned above), the inverse is not true. Movement does not rely on time. Think of a clock, for example. A clock is a tool used by humanity to measure what is defined as time - milliseconds, seconds, minutes, hours, and et cetera - by means of mechanical parts or electrical instructions. Time itself is not what causes the clock to function, movement is. Milliseconds, et cetera themselves do not objectively exist because they are defined by humanity; that is to say, they do not exist in objective reality because they are, by their nature, human-defined measurements of activity (or inactivity). There is nothing absolute about what humanity defines as a millisecond, or a minute, or a hour. These measurements could be "longer" or "shorter" if desired.

The past is comprised of events which are caused by movement from one position to another position (it does not matter what this event is; move your leg, take a breath, etc.)  I believe that these events cannot be changed due to the nature of the universe. For example, visualize yourself writing a sentence, and then deleting that sentence. Deleting the sentence does not change the fact that the sentence was written.

Jil5DBR.gif

In this example, how is it conceivably possible to "go back in time" and "undo" the movement of the Earth orbiting the Sun when the Earth is merely changing its position in the universe?

The phenomena that occurs in nature (including our choices) affect us and/or other people, places, and things, and the potential result(s) of this phenomena is what we refer to as the future. For this reason, time traveling into the future is not possible because the future itself does not exist. Some have suggested that time travel into the future is possible because of time dilation. Perhaps the most famous example of time dilation is the "twin paradox" where one twin remains on the Earth, and the other twin boards a rocket moving almost as quickly as the speed of light. When the second twin arrives back to Earth, he sees that his brother has aged considerably, whereas he himself has barely aged at all. As wonderful as this all is, it is not a result of traveling into the future. I believe that the acceleration of the rocket has inhibited the twin's aging process (in a sense similar to what happens when one freezes something, the movement of its molecules decreases).

I hope that this makes sense to you. I believe that this view of the universe allows us to look beyond the seemingly irreconcilable differences between quantum mechanics and relativity, and that it also answers some of the most perplexing philosophical and religious questions, such as "Did time exist before the Big Bang?" and "What is eternity like?"

As far as I know, Time is a fairly well established concept that has evidence of it's existence, and therefore isn't just something made up in our minds to make understanding things easier, otherwise modern physics would not be trying to utilise it to further our knowledge. The thing is though, you're describing movement and yet Time and Space are connected into Spacetime as Einstein tells us. Time exists whether you have a device to measure it or not, just as distance exists between two objects without you measuring the exact length of that distance. There will never be an answer to a religious question, science should not bother trying to do that in my opinion.

The twin thing is down to the connection between the dimensions of Time and Space, the moving faster relative to another person creates the difference in aging, this has been documented with astronauts, again, you cannot simply ignore Time as a dimension and just leave Space in there, that's classical thinking! :o

I wouldn't go as far as saying the future does not exist, it depends on your philosophical view of the universe I guess but if a light particle "sees" the entire universe go by in the blink of an eye, does that mean the universe is deterministic or does what the light particle see as it's emitted change based on current events in the universe?

I would also add that the clock analogy you used is a bad one, movement and time depend on one another, they both can not occur without each other, no time, there is no movement, no movement, there is no sense of time. :/

Looks like no one is actually listening to Al Bielek video on the first post.  it is relavant to this post here.  Watch the video and then go to this post.

It seems pointless to me :/ There is no evidence that aliens exist, nor that they visit us, it may be off-topic to discuss that here in this thread about time-travel but I'm answering you so I hope it's okay, but I find it highly unlikely that they would visit us, especially when we were so primitive if these visitations happen across our history, there would be a huge gulf in our technological levels even today, and again there is no proof that they exist (before you mention the Mayans knowing about the Solar System and Planet X or something, even that isn't proven). The audiobook series seems badly written, probably dreamed up by someone, doesn't provide any evidence, is baseless and shouldn't be taken seriously as a warning.

This comes down to the same thing as those claiming they know the mind of God or when Jesus will float down from the sky and Rapture will begin, with God having told them. I'm sorry but why does a human being need to share the information? Can't these aliens do it themselves? They're superior to us if they can travel millions of light years from place to place and yet they can't just warn us themselves?

If I told you that I have garden gnomes visiting my house every day and they tell me there is a great threat to humanity coming, would you believe me? No, you'd call someone up and say "This guy is insane." but you somehow believe someone who says an alien has given a warning to humanity, an alien that isn't shown anywhere, no video footage, no audio, they don't want to give their names? Ooooh spooky! :p

I'm sorry but I just can't believe it Krome. I think the thread doesn't need to be connected to that in anyway, Do you believe in time travel is a sufficient enough topic within the realms of our current understanding of reality without throwing in conspiracy theories and esoteric culture.

Looks like no one is actually listening to Al Bielek video on the first post.  it is relavant to this post here.  Watch the video and then go to this post.

There is no point in listening to know-nothing, attention seeking liars who have perfected their act.

We are discussing things that might actually be of some benefit to our brain cells, maybe.

• Like 1

So far, there is nothing telling us that it's possible. I'm not sure physics says that time can exist separate from space.

So far, there is nothing telling us that it's possible. I'm not sure physics says that time can exist separate from space.

There are parts of String Theory that discard Time as a dimension and it apparently solves problems but causes new ones :p which isn't too surprising!

There are parts of String Theory that discard Time as a dimension and it apparently solves problems but causes new ones :p which isn't too surprising!

Such as "If time doesn't exist, how do you reference the moment you want to go to?"

???

Yes but the original statement implied seeing is believing. Only now we're talking about evidence which is a different concept. That is what I'm getting at. 

Macoman quoted me, pretty sure he meant when you see evidence. 

Til there is evidence that it has happened, it's nothing but wishful thinking.

Same here when is about extraterrestrial presence. Wake me up when you see it. In the meantime... Good night.

You really expect people to take serious some random guy on the net claiming to have time traveled with zero evidence backing him up? Excuse us for not taking you serious either.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Man, does anyone remember the show 7 days? Great show....

Ha. Yeah, I remember watching it when I was a kid. I think it used to air alongside Star Trek: Voyager on UPN.

Ha. Yeah, I remember watching it when I was a kid. I think it used to air alongside Star Trek: Voyager on UPN.

lol, yea, damn...remember UPN? lol

LMAO... Who in their right mind will post in a newspaper that ad? :D

It's from the movie "Safety not Guaranteed".

---

I think before we figure out time travel we should at least first figure out how we're even moving through it, since movement should be impossible iirc. Humans as a whole are just not smart enough yet. We evolved from inductive logic to deductive/abductive logic and now it appears that quantum systems want us to forget all of that crap because it doesn't ever seem to work on any logical or practical level.

For example, it is now being considered that the Universe as a whole is not expanding but the matter within it is just shrinking. At first you might think that makes no sense but there is actually mathematical support. Whether this is true or not really doesn't matter. It's not the question that matters or even the answer to that question. We don't know the right question to ask and so trying to decide on an answer is almost as pointless as discovering the question.

So, is Time Travel possible? Well, no, it isn't possible.... until it is. And oh my that's such a pointless but highly relevant answer. The question though, "Meh".