Time Travel, do you believe in time travel?

Who said anything about "me" returning to the past to give that information? Doesn't matter who will do it, as long as the information that speeds up the process of discovery will be transferred.

It would break the rules. Can you or I say what would happen if Kennedy hadn't been shot?

Let's go with time travel. Let's say that in the future we find a way to travel back in time. A man on the team that makes the discovery decides to go back in time to our present day and let us know how to travel through time. In that circumstance, by doing such a thing he has changed the course of history. Now that we know how time travel works, he will never be on the team that makes the initial discovery because that is in our future. But if he didn't make the initial discovery, how was he able to come back in time to tell us how to make the initial discovery?

That just means that time traveling worked and that we already use it, because someone from the future returned to our current time and told us how to build time machines. And as we know how to build and use it, what happens in the future doesn't matter as we already have the technology.

Now I'm not seeing any ads that are selling me time machines, so that means we didn't discovered how to time travel in the future.

That just means that time traveling worked and that we already use it, because someone from the future returned to our current time and told us how to build time machines. And as we know how to build and use it, what happens in the future doesn't matter as we already have the technology.

Now I'm not seeing any ads that are selling me time machines, so that means we didn't discovered how to time travel in the future.

It would work that way if we lived in alternate universes and the traveling back split our universe into another one with a completely different set of events after the visit is made but the paradox solution is a different thing entirely, if the universe works like that then it is simply not possible to do what you say. :/

Unless I'm correct, and we've put rules in place to stop changing our future/their present. The Butterfly Effect comes in to play, but what you're saying is that it won't make a difference. So let's go one step further, and let's say someone from the future comes back and tells me how to time travel. Let's then say that I go and take a nuclear bomb (because, you know, I have a couple stashed downstairs in my basement...for reasons) and go back in time to the time of the Neanderthals. I then use that bomb and blow a big hole in what would later be known as England. In the process I've wiped out many people, some of who would have given birth to kings, conquerors and the like.

You can argue that it wouldn't matter, as we would never know that it happened - or rather, we would know that it happened but we wouldn't necessarily appreciate the impact it had because it has now become a part of our history.

"Dangerous" doesn't really do the situation justice. Better the enemy/timeline that you know, and all that.

EDIT: Are we bringing alternative universes in to this?

Where on earth did I say that if we get information from the future on how to time travel, that it won't effect the future (from present time)? I just said that how it will effect the future is not important. Same ###### to your "what if" atom bomb in the past; will have effect on the future of that "what if", but we don't know to what point and guessing is useless.

And we don't. This is a discussion about time traveling and not alternative universes.

...but we don't know to what point and guessing is useless.

Then while you may have answered the question, you're missing the issue. The fact that we would be unable to predict the complete outcome of any change in history, affecting both our present and future, is a big idea. Which, along with the original question, brings me to the idea of, "even if it was possible, should we be able to do it?"

But I guess we digress.

I believe in time travel and I think there have been those who traveled back to our time.  I think that the UFOs that some people may have encountered or saw are actually future evolved humans that have come back to our time to observe how we lived similar to how our scientists study past animals and civilizations.

You are correct. ;)

What I find funny is some of the people in here are so certain with their answers.  They are so sure it is possible or not possible one would have to wonder what all the debate is about with physicists.   Heck - these people in  neowin already know all the answers. :D

If there is one thing we have learned from the past, it is to never say something is "impossible". 

I have studied quite a bit about theoretical physics, different multiverse theories, quantum entanglement & if there is anything I have learned from this - it is that I dont know crap.   So it is so refreshing to see so many people that are so steadfast in their beliefs about theoretical physics. /s

As an individual with a PhD in Physic the only answer on my mind is, "Hell No."

Care to elaborate ? I like to hear your thoughts, especially if they are unique.  Ive read all the usual theories, understood most - so I'd like to hear another.

(you dont have to go into great detail if you dont want to)

Thx

• Like 2

Open-minded or close-minded, laws of the universe remain in place. No matter how open-minded, you cannot make a frying pan out of chocolate.

you could if you had a Star Trek Replicator :drool:  :punch:

Til there is evidence that it has happened, it's nothing but wishful thinking.

Same here when is about extraterrestrial presence. Wake me up when you see it. In the meantime... Good night.

so if no time travel, what about crossing over into another reality. you know like the jet li movie THE ONE

I have dreams about my other version, and he's a real douchbag

Same here when is about extraterrestrial presence. Wake me up when you see it. In the meantime... Good night.

You can't see other galaxies. Guess they aren't real then. 

I think time travel is possible, but only to the future.

Time is relative to the person observing it, and as you travel closer to the speed of light, time slows down for that person. So if you travelled for a year at (or close to) the speed of light, for everyone else 1000's of years would have passed.

They've done experiments whereby two atomic clocks on the ground are synced, one is sent into an airplane and flown around the world a few times and when you compare the clocks there are differences (albeit very small) between the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2%80%93Keating_experiment

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/time-travel1.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2420239/Professor-Brian-Cox-time-travel-IS-possible--want-to-future.html

Bad comparison. You can actually see other galaxies.

But he can't see them with your eyes. Mustn't be real then right. Can't see red ######. Isn't real. Graphs are fake. 

Interesting. Care to elaborate? Personally I think that black holes are the closest that we'll get to time travel, but I cannot vouch for the idea that it will let us go backwards or forwards on ourselves in a true time traveling sense.

Then there are Wormholes.

Then there are Wormholes.

Wormholes are theoretical folds in space, I believe, they only deal with time insofar as using a wormhole would have the potential to reduce the travel time from point a to b. </nerd>

You can't see other galaxies. Guess they aren't real then. 

But he can't see them with your eyes. Mustn't be real then right. Can't see red ######. Isn't real. Graphs are fake. 

None of that has any relation to what macoman said. There is ZERO evidence for alien life, there is evidence for other galaxies. 

I suggest you all watch Source Code: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/

I'm not saying it's completely accurate, it's a movie after all, but still much better than all those fantastical time travel movies.

That would be more in relation to alternate realities, not time travel. 

That would be more in relation to alternate realities, not time travel. 

Which is the thing that happens when one supposedly "time travels" to the past.

Yes, in the movie it's not done physically, but still. I think we could call them parallel universes than alternate reality.

Which is the thing that happens when one supposedly "time travels" to the past.

Yes, in the movie it's not done physically, but still.

That really depends on who's idea you are basing time travel on. There are some that believe if you could travel back, you would stay within your own reality and others think you would jump back into a different branch of reality. There is no one winning view of which one it would really be, it's all science fiction.