Captain America : Civil War

^

I enjoyed it overall.  I have some small issues, but it was your standard Marvel movie with a ton of good action, bright sets with lots of color, and a decent plot.

I also enjoyed BvS thoroughly.  It's still not as bad as people made it out to be, but I do think CW ended up being a tid bit better.

On 11/24/2015 at 9:44 PM, Jared- said:

Boorrriiingg. BvS > this.

On 11/26/2015 at 1:52 PM, Jared- said:

LOL! That's Falcon...

Anyway, BvS > this. 

^^ Loooooooooool. no.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You guys liked BvS? Wow... I'd better not trust your opinions on Civil War then! :p

I liked them both :p but CA:CW is a better movie. Some really enjoyable moments in it.

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You guys liked BvS? Wow... I'd better not trust your opinions on Civil War then! :p

I don't think BvS was as as as the critics and media made out, but with that in mind i wouldn't watch it again, probably ever.

Personally, i reckon i'll watch CW multiple time before the months out. Smashing film.

On 5/2/2016 at 10:48 AM, Innervisions33 said:

MAJOR Civil War spoilers here:

Reveal hidden contents

Lee Surrenders

Lincoln dies

Come on, man! I hadn't gotten that far in my American History book yet! :angry:

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 8:15 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Eh.. my view on it is, should a superhero be held accountable for their actions? Yes.

Should they be forced to register their true identities, therefore putting themselves and their loved ones at unnecessary risk? Hell no!

Should they be forced to work for the government just because they have power? No!!  Should they be imprisoned if they refuse? Again, hell no!!

Better way:  Have a superhero registry  ONLY for those who want to use their gifts against crime, and just record their hero identity and abilities.  Deputise said registered heroes so they have the legal authority to act and have them subject to the same restrictions as cops.  The rest, it's the same as any other civvie in the real world.  Self defence or assault laws cover things there.

That's just wrong.

How do you hold a mask accountable? It was easy because Iron Man identified himself, so you go after Tony Stark.

But what if Spider-Man ###### up? Or Batman? Without Registering themselves, you simply can't because you don't

know who to go after. If you did, they wouldn't have "secret" identities.

As for the movie, it was Epic. And Spider-Man was spot-on, love the new guy and the take on the character.

I don't want to give any Spoilers, so I'll just say that I'm with Captain America on both arguments presented in 

the movie.

I liked the movie. they played well with the limited assets in hand, but Scarlet witch is underutilised (which is understandable), Baron Zemo is completely different from the comics (they could have given him his mask :(), Black Panther's role was well made, Spidey's role looked like a trailer for his own movie. Good to see Vision and Wanda together. My expectations were a little higher. I hoped to see Red hulk, Spidey changing sides, and some more. Lets see how things change before Infinity Wars.

It's a better movie than BvS, cuz the plot, while not great, is better.   Still, it's not, in my opinion, as great of a movie as some would make it out to seem.   I'd give it a 8/10 if I had to give it a score, and it's really down to the well done, well set, action pieces in the movie.  If you strip the fights out and just try to hold it up on story/plot alone it's generic, not as grand as the trailers make it seems it will be.

Spoiler

First off, outside of Cap and Ironman, with winter soldier to a lesser extent, all the other heroes are there just to fill up the screen, vision gets one line early on which lets you know his opinion/thoughts on the whole oversight bit, and that's it, others just show up and are like, I agree, or no I don't agree, but we never get any details as to why.

And the reason we never do is because they pretty much drop that whole part right out 30 or so minutes into the movie after the UN gets attacked.  After that point it's not even touched on really, the movie becomes another case of , I have to save my friend from harm, and cap seemingly this super good guy says to hell with the law, bucky is all that matters, and lets destroy a few buildings, an airport and a ton of cars to make sure he can escape being locked up for the rest of his life!

There's a few other plot holes or weak plot points in the movie to, but they're not too massive to where they can ruin it, but still, if you watch it a 2nd or 3rd time they're going to pop out at you.   Spiderman is there to hype up his next movie, and to basically get used because he's a kid who doesn't understand what's actually going on.

By the end the movie tries to make you feel emotional/sorry for caps team but lets face it, they all went off the reservation as they say, and for personal reasons that have zero to do with saving anyone but just to follow cap, who just wants to help is bestest buddy ever, and screw anyone who gets in his way.    They also toss in a plot twist, but it didn't effect me like they probably expected it would.

Still, the movie is good, action is good, story pretty clear cut if not as high stakes as you are lead to believe from the trailers, it's really just another generic comic book hero plot, not great, and could've been better if they actually went with what I expected them to use for the story/plot, instead they decided to play it safe.

i enjoyed both bvs and cacw, one was dark and gritty and the other was action packed. i like how bvs made you root for batman and then for both of them as things progressed.

12 hours ago, George P said:

It's a better movie than BvS, cuz the plot, while not great, is better.   Still, it's not, in my opinion, as great of a movie as some would make it out to seem.   I'd give it a 8/10 if I had to give it a score, and it's really down to the well done, well set, action pieces in the movie.  If you strip the fights out and just try to hold it up on story/plot alone it's generic, not as grand as the trailers make it seems it will be.

Hide contents

First off, outside of Cap and Ironman, with winter soldier to a lesser extent, all the other heroes are there just to fill up the screen, vision gets one line early on which lets you know his opinion/thoughts on the whole oversight bit, and that's it, others just show up and are like, I agree, or no I don't agree, but we never get any details as to why.

And the reason we never do is because they pretty much drop that whole part right out 30 or so minutes into the movie after the UN gets attacked.  After that point it's not even touched on really, the movie becomes another case of , I have to save my friend from harm, and cap seemingly this super good guy says to hell with the law, bucky is all that matters, and lets destroy a few buildings, an airport and a ton of cars to make sure he can escape being locked up for the rest of his life!

There's a few other plot holes or weak plot points in the movie to, but they're not too massive to where they can ruin it, but still, if you watch it a 2nd or 3rd time they're going to pop out at you.   Spiderman is there to hype up his next movie, and to basically get used because he's a kid who doesn't understand what's actually going on.

By the end the movie tries to make you feel emotional/sorry for caps team but lets face it, they all went off the reservation as they say, and for personal reasons that have zero to do with saving anyone but just to follow cap, who just wants to help is bestest buddy ever, and screw anyone who gets in his way.    They also toss in a plot twist, but it didn't effect me like they probably expected it would.

Still, the movie is good, action is good, story pretty clear cut if not as high stakes as you are lead to believe from the trailers, it's really just another generic comic book hero plot, not great, and could've been better if they actually went with what I expected them to use for the story/plot, instead they decided to play it safe.

The whole "everything is getting destroyed" concept is kind of important, though. If you and I have a disagreement which leads

to us throwing down... what's going to happen? We might break some furniture, boo-hoo. But if we've got those kind of powers,

obviously there's going to be more destruction if we fight. So I disagree that stuff got blown up "just" to get Winter Soldier to

freedom; it was a by-product of the capabilities of those involved.

As to whether or not it should have happened:

Cap disagreed with the UN (and thus The Avengers who signed the document) solely on the basis of his belief in

innocent until proven guilty. The UN (and the CIA) was willing to take the video as the only evidence and shoot to kill.

Cap just wanted the chance to give Winter Soldier (and yes, granted it's his friend) the benefit of the doubt and find

out for sure. I'm with team Cap on this one. Team Stark gave themselves up to being puppets for the guys willing to

shoot to kill without any investigation at all.

7 hours ago, McCordRm said:

The whole "everything is getting destroyed" concept is kind of important, though. If you and I have a disagreement which leads

to us throwing down... what's going to happen? We might break some furniture, boo-hoo. But if we've got those kind of powers,

obviously there's going to be more destruction if we fight. So I disagree that stuff got blown up "just" to get Winter Soldier to

freedom; it was a by-product of the capabilities of those involved.

As to whether or not it should have happened:

Reveal hidden contents

Cap disagreed with the UN (and thus The Avengers who signed the document) solely on the basis of his belief in

innocent until proven guilty. The UN (and the CIA) was willing to take the video as the only evidence and shoot to kill.

Cap just wanted the chance to give Winter Soldier (and yes, granted it's his friend) the benefit of the doubt and find

out for sure. I'm with team Cap on this one. Team Stark gave themselves up to being puppets for the guys willing to

shoot to kill without any investigation at all.

Spoiler

The shoot to kill order isn't something that just came up now because of that one video, Winter soldier has a very well documented past string of events, as far as anyone looking at his criminal history is concerned he's a flat out terrorist, even in the real world with all the stuff he's done they'd use "deadly force" on that type of criminal.   So the part about, only off of one video tap, I don't agree, it's not just because of that, it's a build up list of stuff he's done.

Also, I'm not saying they're "just" blowing things up for the sake of blowing them up, only that, in the context of the story, the problems start because they don't take into account all the collateral damage, in any of these movies.   Weather you agree with government oversight of your superheroes or not, you'd think they wouldn't just keep on trashing places up just to, you know, get to their flight.

On 04/05/2016 at 2:14 PM, dipsylalapo said:

Quick question, planning to go and see the film in the next two weeks...are there any films in the Marvel Universe that I should make sure that I've seen, apart from the two CA films.

Personally, to get the true picture of Civil War, you need to watch all of the films, in chronological order. But, if you don't want to, nor have the time to do so, I would say these previous films, in this order are a must:

Iron Man 1

Iron Man 2

The Incredible Hulk (Only if you wanna know a bit more about General Ross)

Iron Man 3 (Not so vital, but fills in more of the Tony Stark story)

Captain America: The First Avenger

The Avengers

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to describe this, but I love that Marvel went head on at the collateral damage we always see in these superhero movies.

Marvel fans tend to bash DC movies (MoS and BvS, specifically) for the blatant destruction of cities and the death of civilians, but get very defensive when DC fans push back and point out that the same thing happens in Marvel movies.  Yet, it's the Marvel creators (comics and movies) that have brought this to the forefront via Civil War.... and I don't see any Marvel fans commenting on it specifically.  

It didn't do as well opening weekend and had a larger drop off from week 1 to week 2 than BvS did, but it looks like it's gonna make over a billion.  It's amazing what reviews will do to a movie.  

For what basically equates to Avengers 2.5 and not so much a Captain America movie (regardless of the name), it'd be shocking if it didn't make it to a billion.

saw it last night, thought it was cool. agree its more of avenger 2.5 than just a captain movie, but still was a lot of fun. i thought spider-man was pretty good in this one compared to the other movies.

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

i thought spider-man was pretty good in this one compared to the other movies.

It was Spidey finally done properly!