+Raphaël G.
On 7/20/2020 at 12:46 PM, ajjmin said:

Will you support gapless playback in the future?

I don't know. The reason why it's not yet supported is that it is very hard to implement. Gapless playback stems from the time of records, which are gapless by design due to the music being recorded one an uninterrupted track. Audio files are separate entities (honestly, why on earth are gapless records ripped as separate files in the first place?). Getting them to play gapless, is not trivial. A music player needs to load a file in order to play it, and that comes with, at least, some milliseconds of delay. This delay is noticeable between 2 tracks (unloading the previous one, and loading the next one). Gapless playback of files requires this:

1. Play a file
  2. Load the next file in memory before the previous file has finished playing
  3. Just before (good luck getting this timing right) the previous file is finished playing: 
    1. Shortly fade out the previous file
    2. Start the next file and shortly fade it in (not too long! The user may cannot notice we are fading! This is not a cross-fading plugin!).
    3. IMPORTANT: do a rain dance, jump 10 times up and down, avoid all black cats, Friday the 13th's and walking under ladders (for those that believe in this crazy stuff, I don't care, and tempt fate every time I can), and hope that the user didn't hear that click or pop between the 2 files (which the player tries to mask by doing the fancy fade out/fade in trick).

Dopamine 2 will never support it, as the audio engine doesn't have such possibility built-in. And I'll never get all this madness right by adding workarounds around the engine.

Dopamine 3? Maybe, maybe not. I haven't reached audio engine testing with it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
+NJ Louch

Are "gapless" and "crossfaded" the same thing?  It seems like what you described is crossfading?

+Raphaël G.
1 hour ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Are "gapless" and "crossfaded" the same thing?  It seems like what you described is crossfading?

They are 2 different things. But gapless requires short crossfading to mask the click or pop that can occur when switching tracks. Closing and reopening the audio device can cause this, and even if the player would play the files directly after each other, without crossfading, users won't be happy, as they would still hear a click between tracks. Quite some trickery is required to have a perfect illusion of gapless. That is why gapless is never the first feature a player supports. I honestly find it annoying. Annoying that we need so much effort and trickery to get around the fact that the format (files) is being misused and that a feature of a totally different format is expected. It's like when switching from horses to cars, the car drivers would expect car makers to make cars jump up and down to simulate the horse's walk on pavement.

• Thanks 2
allan.nyholm

@Raphaël G. I've updated the danish language for Dopamine. I edited the DA.XML file on a Mac using CotEditor. For the adventurous I've uploaded the "DA.XML" file here on my Jumpshare account. I will test on my Windows partition also - since I speak danish I really should test. I edited the file on macOS using CotEditor.
Direct link to DA XML

+Raphaël G.
On 8/9/2020 at 9:17 AM, allan.nyholm said:

@Raphaël G. I've updated the danish language for Dopamine. I edited the DA.XML file on a Mac using CotEditor. For the adventurous I've uploaded the "DA.XML" file here on my Jumpshare account. I will test on my Windows partition also - since I speak danish I really should test. I edited the file on macOS using CotEditor.
Direct link to DA XML

Thank you! I've downloaded the file. Looks great. 👍

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ajjmin
On 8/5/2020 at 9:39 PM, Raphaël G. said:

I don't know. The reason why it's not yet supported is that it is very hard to implement. Gapless playback stems from the time of records, which are gapless by design due to the music being recorded one an uninterrupted track. Audio files are separate entities (honestly, why on earth are gapless records ripped as separate files in the first place?). Getting them to play gapless, is not trivial. A music player needs to load a file in order to play it, and that comes with, at least, some milliseconds of delay. This delay is noticeable between 2 tracks (unloading the previous one, and loading the next one). Gapless playback of files requires this:

1. Play a file
  2. Load the next file in memory before the previous file has finished playing
  3. Just before (good luck getting this timing right) the previous file is finished playing: 
    1. Shortly fade out the previous file
    2. Start the next file and shortly fade it in (not too long! The user may cannot notice we are fading! This is not a cross-fading plugin!).
    3. IMPORTANT: do a rain dance, jump 10 times up and down, avoid all black cats, Friday the 13th's and walking under ladders (for those that believe in this crazy stuff, I don't care, and tempt fate every time I can), and hope that the user didn't hear that click or pop between the 2 files (which the player tries to mask by doing the fancy fade out/fade in trick).

Dopamine 2 will never support it, as the audio engine doesn't have such possibility built-in. And I'll never get all this madness right by adding workarounds around the engine.

Dopamine 3? Maybe, maybe not. I haven't reached audio engine testing with it yet.

Thank for your hard work and replies. This is by far the best and light weight player I've came cross that have amazing ui.

ajjmin
On 8/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, Raphaël G. said:

They are 2 different things. But gapless requires short crossfading to mask the click or pop that can occur when switching tracks. Closing and reopening the audio device can cause this, and even if the player would play the files directly after each other, without crossfading, users won't be happy, as they would still hear a click between tracks. Quite some trickery is required to have a perfect illusion of gapless. That is why gapless is never the first feature a player supports. I honestly find it annoying. Annoying that we need so much effort and trickery to get around the fact that the format (files) is being misused and that a feature of a totally different format is expected. It's like when switching from horses to cars, the car drivers would expect car makers to make cars jump up and down to simulate the horse's walk on pavement.

Oh, I didn't know they are two separate things. Is there an option for crossfading?

• 2 weeks later...
+Raphaël G.

Hello everyone!

Dopamine 2.0.4 has been released. This is the change log:

– [Fixed] Playlists now load slightly faster
– [Fixed] Album list does not always reflect the choice of artist type (Song artists, Album artists or All artists)
– [Fixed] Audio is resampled to lower quality instead of playing at full quality
– [Changed] Updated the Hungarian translation

Enjoy!

Download here

• Like 2
kukata
On 06/09/2020 at 09:32, Raphaël G. said:

Hello everyone!

Dopamine 2.0.4 has been released. This is the change log:

– [Fixed] Playlists now load slightly faster
– [Fixed] Album list does not always reflect the choice of artist type (Song artists, Album artists or All artists)
– [Fixed] Audio is resampled to lower quality instead of playing at full quality
– [Changed] Updated the Hungarian translation

Enjoy!

Download here

For me, after each update, the icon on the taskbar disappears. It becomes white as a deleted program.  Not only after this update.

wBZ9bkC.png

• 2 weeks later...
+Raphaël G.
On 08/09/2020 at 15:25, kukata said:

For me, after each update, the icon on the taskbar disappears. It becomes white as a deleted program.  Not only after this update.

wBZ9bkC.png

I'm aware of that issue and have not yet found a solution to it. Re-pinning is the only workaround.

(No idea how to prevent this message to merge with the previous, but, here goes)

Dopamine 2.0.5 has just been released. Please check the change log below:

- [Added] Added support for the APE file format
- [Added] Added support for ModernFlyouts (https://github.com/ShankarBUS/ModernFlyouts/)
- [Changed] Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation
- [Changed] Updated the Chinese (Simplified) translation

Download here

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Darkbluesky

Hi,

I am new in these forums, and I have just discovered Dopamine player. I wanted first to say thanks for this player as it -finally- is what I was looking for (I used others until now, but I was never really satisfied). 

I have a little problem though. I use the 2.0.5, and I find that the equalizer is not smooth at all, it sticks and lags, 1 second or less, and is not smooth. I am testing it in a new laptop (Asus G732LXS, Strix SCAR III, brand new). Other programs run smooth and fine, so I don't see why it could do that. The files I play are mp3 at low bitrate 128 or so... I would like to know if someone has found that too, and if not if you have some hint or thing I could test.

Thanks for any help, and congrats for this wonderful, nice and well balanced app.